Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

At the moment I'm on 120mb with phone for €43.99. The increase was going to be €1.01 so the total going forward was €45.00.

I called and "downgraded" to 120mb and phone for €40.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭dodzy

pippip wrote: »
    Just off the phone with them (had to ring loyalty number) -

Currently on

Digital Select Extra 120
    With one standard multiroom

Was paying €65 last year,
    they're now offering €71 for first 6 months and €81 from then on.
    (didn't push them to far yet, i.e. threaten cancellation)

Was onto Sky earlier and they are offering me

Variety Pack + HD + 100mb broadband
    at €62 for first 6 months and €82 from then on.
    Would just get freeview for bedroom in this case. Or use sky go.

Will think about it a bit longer before deciding.

I'd take that 100mb claim with a pinch of salt. I'd be interested to know just what kind of speeds people are seeing from Eircom lines nowadays (fibre)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Currently paying €70 for 30MB Broadband, Digital Plus TV and home phone. Got the dreadful email this morning that there will be a €10 increase to my bill.

Just called the loyalty team and was offered an upgrade (free connection/box) to Horizan bundle (120 MB broadband, 50 basic+15 (HD) TV channels, home phone) for €50 (first 4 month) then €75 afterwards. The girl on the other line told me she could only drop the monthly charge by €20 at most for any new packages for 4 month but said that I could call again in 4 month time to negotiate another deal.

I thought this was much better then paying €80 for my previous package. Offer accepted.

That's a far better deal than what you were on, well done.

The UPC crowd must have gotten a rollicking from management after last years "50% off for 12 months" deals. I'm on the 200meg BB & phone for €24.24 a month presently, going up €3.01 next month. I'll sit tight until it reverts to the full price before I'll ring them, hopefully they'll forget about me and I get lost between the cracks or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Currently paying €70 for 30MB Broadband, Digital Plus TV and home phone. Got the dreadful email this morning that there will be a €10 increase to my bill.

Just called the loyalty team and was offered an upgrade (free connection/box) to Horizan bundle (120 MB broadband, 50 basic+15 (HD) TV channels, home phone) for €50 (first 4 month) then €75 afterwards. The girl on the other line told me she could only drop the monthly charge by €20 at most for any new packages for 4 month but said that I could call again in 4 month time to negotiate another deal.

I thought this was much better then paying €80 for my previous package. Offer accepted.

Did you check if this locked you into a contract if so after 4 months they wont budge

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

van_beano wrote: »
    That's a far better deal than what you were on, well done.

The UPC crowd must have gotten a rollicking from management after last years "50% off for 12 months" deals. I'm on the 200meg BB & phone for €24.24 a month presently, going up €3.01 next month. I'll sit tight until it reverts to the full price before I'll ring them, hopefully they'll forget about me and I get lost between the cracks or something.

Yeah, definitely sit tight and there is a good chance with all of these complaints you will be left alone to deal with "increase" of €3.01. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

Did you check if this locked you into a contract if so after 4 months they wont budge

Pretty sure I was signing into a 12 month contract, but I did not realise that when she told me I could ring back in 4 month time to negotiate another deal..:(

Ah well, still better than paying €80 for the previous package.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

VeVeX wrote: »
    At the moment I'm on 120mb with phone for €43.99. The increase was going to be €1.01 so the total going forward was €45.00.

I called and "downgraded" to 120mb and phone for €40.00.

This involves committing for a new 12 months contract, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

pippip wrote: »
    Just tried ringing them on 1908 and sounds like the line is down.
    Getting overloaded every now and then ,have to keep trying.Try reloading web page from address bar if you cant get website,works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Eventually got the email today looking for an extra €5 so decided to downgrade from 200 mb to 120 online (I get a concession of 30€ so locked into using them unfortunately)
    Anyhow, I created the bundle I wanted, checked the current customer box and I'm getting a 50 quid discount for 4 months ( 80 down to 30) so at least they are doing that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Not sure whether Im getting a good or a bad deal after reading through this thread!!! Any opinions?

its an old package were on, Currently have Digital Max, including one recordable box and one normal box. Sky Sports and MUTV. No movies. Home phone and 30 Mb broadband. usually costs about €126 a month (and that's with a small discount for having a UPC booster box on the side of the house that serves the road)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I was on 240mb and phone for €27 a month (after haggling with them this time last year).
    Got an email to say my increase is €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Bob24 wrote: »
    This involves committing for a new 12 months contract, right?

Yes. I'd no plans to change anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Trond wrote: »
    Not sure whether Im getting a good or a bad deal after reading through this thread!!! Any opinions?

its an old package were on, Currently have Digital Max, including one recordable box and one normal box. Sky Sports and MUTV. No movies. Home phone and 30 Mb broadband. usually costs about €126 a month (and that's with a small discount for having a UPC booster box on the side of the house that serves the road)

I currently pay 80 for 200mb BB, anytime phone, Horizon max and get 30 off with the same concession for a booster so only costs me 50. I'd say that's very expensive tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I was on 240mb and phone for €27 a month (after haggling with them this time last year).
    Got an email to say my increase is €3.

How do you find 240mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Stark wrote: »
    I've been able to get the speeds advertised when connected via the router so I can't see how they could be accused of false advertising. It's not UPC's fault if people use sub-standard equipment with the service.

It would be a bit like advertising a car with a speed of 180 kmph, despite the fact that you can't drive on any road in Ireland at 180 kmph.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Fire a complaint in and see how far you get then... I suspect it won't even make it to the bulletin, let alone be upheld.
    I gave up on making ASAI complaints years ago, when I realised that they were a self-appointed industry body with no actual authority or power. If I do make a complaint, it will be to the BAI.
    Speed is offered, speed is provided. Wireless is not part of a broadband package, even if the router happens to support it.
    To offer a service that is not achievable for many customers is misleading, and is indeed explicitly designed to mislead, and to take advantage of the lack of technical knowledge of the average customer.

At very minimum, some qualifier like 'depending on your local equipment' or similar is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Be careful entering into contracts with UPC!!

Last year in college we took a house on a one year lease. At the beginning of the year we signed up for the UPC package of €35.00 per month for the first six months which would include extra channels plus unlimited internet. At this point we were told that after six months we could continue with the package but it would cost €70.00 or we could degrade to a lesser package maintained at the price of €35 p/m hassle free. After six months of realising these "extra" channels were mostly food network channels we rang to degrade our package in advance of the six month period. At this point we were told than in order to degrade we would have to commit to a new one year contract- even though we wouldn't be in the house the following year! It worked out cheaper in the long run to pay the cancellation fee of €200 which, at the time, required 30 days notice in writing.

Sticking to the Saorview box!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

sweetie wrote: »
    I currently pay 80 for 200mb BB, anytime phone, Horizon max and get 30 off with the same concession for a booster so only costs me 50. I'd say that's very expensive tbh

I was beginning to think that reading some of the deals people are on here....cheers. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Did the form still look for bank details even after you clicked the "current customer" box ?

sweetie wrote: »
    Anyhow, I created the bundle I wanted, checked the current customer box and I'm getting a 50 quid discount for 4 months ( 80 down to 30) so at least they are doing that now.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

How do you find 240mb?
    Says it on my bill on MyUPC on their website
    No actually, its 200Mb:
    Fibre Power 200 with Anywhere 300

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Tony wrote: »
    Did the form still look for bank details even after you clicked the "current customer" box ?

was trying it there earlier myself and was looking for bank details. Can get the discount for 4 months but says its an 18 month contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    May I ask how you use that much? Just curious, I wouldn't class myself as a light user and I only use 60-80gb a month.

No idea to be honest, I stream football matches a lot and if I'm downloading games or demo's to my PC or PS4 they would typically be very large files too. Online gaming a lot too.
    van_beano wrote: »
    PS+ I presume??

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks. I'm loathe to give bank details again as they have a history of charging twice on my account . As an existing customer I don't know why they would need this anyway.

cgc5483 wrote: »
    was trying it there earlier myself and was looking for bank details. Can get the discount for 4 months but says its an 18 month contract

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

currently have UPC 30mb BB and the analogue tv package . analogue signal comes through with BB. thinking of just asking for 120mb. can they switch off my analogue or will it still be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I am currently on 200mb and horizon max for €40 a month for 12 months but it's just about to expire (haggled it this time last years thanks to info got here)

Any chance of getting a similar deal again do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I rang the loyalty team looking for a better deal. All they tried to do was to push me onto a more expensive package with a discount for 6 months. I kept having to repeat that I was looking for a better deal.

I am cancelling expensive multi room which will bring down the price by 11 EUR a month. Once upon a time UPC charged 5 EUR for this.

I would cancel TV all together and go with streaming if it my choice alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RainyDay wrote: »
    It would be a bit like advertising a car with a speed of 180 kmph, despite the fact that you can't drive on any road in Ireland at 180 kmph.

Which is done all the time . Have you ever bought a new car?

What achievable WiFi speed do you want to allow advertising? 11mbits as it's the baseline? 30-ish as its normal? 120 as you'll get that with a working 5ghz 802.11ac consumer card?

They're going to advertise the actual delivered line speeds and really nothing will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

bought a portable sat kit in aldi for €35 a few months ago and to my surprise it worked and getting about 30 of the 80 free channels available including all major ones can record tv and plays most film formats on usb,am cancelling my €330 a year subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

dodzy wrote: »
    I'd take that 100mb claim with a pinch of salt. I'd be interested to know just what kind of speeds people are seeing from Eircom lines nowadays (fibre)

Yeh, wouldn't believe that alright, dont need the speed, anything above 50mb-60mb and I'll be happy.

Getting Eircom fibre into work in the next few weeks so will be interesting to see what it can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Which is done all the time . Have you ever bought a new car?
    Please point me to one current car advert which quotes a speed that you can't actually achieve in Ireland?
    What achievable WiFi speed do you want to allow advertising? 11mbits as it's the baseline? 30-ish as its normal? 120 as you'll get that with a working 5ghz 802.11ac consumer card?
    I would suggest that their advertising would point out that the actual speed achieved will depend on the end user's equipment and configuration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

RainyDay wrote: »
    I would suggest that their advertising would point out that the actual speed achieved will depend on the end user's equipment and configuration.
    The advertised broadband speed is the speed UPC deliver to the cable modem or Horizon box. Other factors that may impact the actual speed experienced include the connection from your device(s) to the cable modem & the websites visited.

http://puu.sh/e7fPj/cd01a585ef.png

Right there when you scroll down to terms on the broadband and phone page.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement