Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC contract changes advertised today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

I presume all these deals are for a 12 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭radooo

i am also thinking of canceling my upc tv. what is a good and cheap alternative to it? not using tv very often myself. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

They seem to be playing hardball at the moment. I presume they're under strict orders to force everyone on to the Horizon Max package. If they get a whole lot of cancellations notices they may change their tune & contact people before the 30 days notice period is up with a more realistic offer, though judging by their attitude this may not happen this time around.

They're probably banking on the fact that a lot of people will just cancel their tv subscription & hang on to the broadband & phone.

Interesting you say this as I'm just off the phone with them after cancelling the TV package and getting 240mb and phone at a reduced cost instead.

He didnt even ask me to reconsider on the tv, do people think they may be conceding defeat on their TV service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Is UPC.ie down for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Interesting you say this as I'm just off the phone with them after cancelling the TV package and getting 240mb and phone at a reduced cost instead.
    That's what I plan on doing. Do you have to give 30 days notice to cancel the tv or is it immediate? How much did they offer the BB & phone for?

• Advertisement

I dont believe it! I'm on Select Extra and use Eurosport all the time, might just cancel to stick it to them.
    I don't know if they're removing it from Select Extra, but you can subscribe to the Eurosport Player for €50 a year or €7 a month (no contract), even cheaper for an android or iOs app.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peejy

Would this email show in my UPC on website as don't have access to registered email for few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

He didnt even ask me to reconsider on the tv, do people think they may be conceding defeat on their TV service?

Do they collect the crappy TV box or do you send it back or just use it as the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

MickeyD wrote: »
    It looks like that package is regularly priced at 85e a month and if you cancelled and resubscribed you can get it for 35e for the first 4 months which over 12 months is a better deal than what they offered you I think? Might be worth trying to get more out of them.

New contracts for new customers are for 18 months, not for 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Poly wrote: »
    Do they collect the crappy TV box or do you send it back or just use it as the router?
    She told me they'd send someone out to collect my router and digital box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Tilly wrote: »
    She told me they'd send someone out to collect my router and digital box

Yeah someone comes out and collect the equipment, no need to box it or wrap in up, just hand them whatever it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

On to them now. Cacelling horizon and going with 240 meg broadband and phone for €45 per month. It's an 18months contract with the first 4 months at €25. I think they still offer a 12 month contract but you don't get a discount pice for first 4 months. Also waiting to talk to the "loyalty team". Might get it even cheaper than that.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Pablo1802 wrote: »

Aye, you're pretty much guaranteed a price increase at least once every 12 months though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

My wife logged into MyUPC earlier today, cancelled our current deal there (we had a basic enough TV and broadband package) and ordered a new broadband/home phone package. I have to admit I am surprised that you can cancel a full package via their internet portal and not have to either speak to someone directly or email/mail in a cancellation notice - has anyone else ever done this with UPC?

On to them now. Cacelling horizon and going with 240 meg broadband and phone for €45 per month. It's an 18months contract with the first 4 months at €25. I think they still offer a 12 month contract but you don't get a discount pice for first 4 months. Also waiting to talk to the "loyalty team". Might get it even cheaper than that.......:D
    Let us know how you get on!

Does the tv cancellation go through immediately or is 30 days notice required?

Is UPC.ie down for anyone?

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

How much are you paying now for this new package? as this is exactly what I want to do too!!

How much are you paying now for this new package? as this is exactly what I want to do too!!

Let us know how you get on!

Does the tv cancellation go through immediately or is 30 days notice required?

I knew my contract was up on the 2/1/15 so had given them the notice last month. If they are signing you into a new 18 month contract though they might not pursue the 30 day cancellation. Worth chancing your arm. Going to try and blag setanta sports pack out of them...................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Pablo1802 wrote: »

Is that a recent change?

Hate these long contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

quick question
    i got a deal around the last contract changes and got 200mb bb, horizon max and phone for 38euro a month. I'm not sure when it ends - surely soon.. ive got an email saying there is a new 5 euro charge added on with the new changes.

Does this mean 38e plus 5 euro or a whole new plan plus 5e?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just tried ringing them on 1908 and sounds like the line is down.

Just off the phone. No budging really. If you are an existing customer they will only offer you a 12 month deal @ €45 per month for the BB and phone only. However the phone has some new things added. All calls to irish mobiles are free 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

I haggled last year and got the 120 limitless bb,TV and phone(don't use) for €52 which was about €23 off and free movies and sports for 2 months.

It sounds like they know they have alot of people by the short and curlys.

I'm going to cancel with them and hope they offer me something decent. I live in a apartment and can't get sky or put up a aerial for saorview.Sickened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

baldbear wrote: »
    I haggled last year and got the 120 limitless bb,TV and phone(don't use) for €52 which was about €23 off and free movies and sports for 2 months.

It sounds like they know they have alot of people by the short and curlys.

I'm going to cancel with them and hope they offer me something decent. I live in a apartment and can't get sky or put up a aerial for saorview.Sickened.

I've done the maths and Eircom is the way to go in my apartment. Haven't called upc yet so will see what they offer but a slower broadband connection might not actually be slower as I only get 30ish from my alleged 200mb upc connection so Eircom's package looks OK

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I had to give 30 days notice to cancel the TV, didnt mention anyone coming to collect it, probably because I told him it had been thrown under the stairs for the past 6 months.

I'll be getting 240mb and phone for 40 a month, pretty much what new customers get on average. very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just off the phone with them (had to ring loyalty number) -

Currently on

Digital Select Extra 120
    With one standard multiroom

Was paying €65 last year,
    they're now offering €71 for first 6 months and €81 from then on.
    (didn't push them to far yet, i.e. threaten cancellation)

Was onto Sky earlier and they are offering me

Variety Pack + HD + 100mb broadband
    at €62 for first 6 months and €82 from then on.
    Would just get freeview for bedroom in this case. Or use sky go.

Will think about it a bit longer before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭dodzy

paulgalway wrote: »

If I cancel the TV, what are the alternatives - SKY ? Satellite ?

Thanks in advance.
    A satellite dish and a Freesat box. Job done. Once off payment and then a free ride, all legit. Not for everybody I know, but there is a huge amount of freely available TV that not everybody is aware of.

Free Channel List

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

Currently paying €70 for 30MB Broadband, Digital Plus TV and home phone. Got the dreadful email this morning that there will be a €10 increase to my bill.

Just called the loyalty team and was offered an upgrade (free connection/box) to Horizan bundle (120 MB broadband, 50 basic+15 (HD) TV channels, home phone) for €50 (first 4 month) then €75 afterwards. The girl on the other line told me she could only drop the monthly charge by €20 at most for any new packages for 4 month but said that I could call again in 4 month time to negotiate another deal.

I thought this was much better then paying €80 for my previous package. Offer accepted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement