Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I live in Wexford in town. My house is on a road with just 5 houses on it. Went through years of fighting with eircom before I gave up on getting efibre. What's the chances of being able to get SIRO in these circumstances?
    The "previous" with Eircom will neither help nor hinder your chances of getting Siro. It will play no role whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

ED E wrote: »
    NB: Not really the correct use of the term backhaul there dbit, you mean access network.

Scenario:

Jbloggs is on a 30Mb VDSL Line. He pays €50/mo.
    €30 goes to Eircom Wholesale. €20 goes to eircom retail.

Jbloggs goes to SIRO at €70/mo
    €45 goes to SIRO, €25/mo goes to eircom retail.

Eircom group still has its USO requirements. Still has to maintain the copper (for now), loses lots of revenue.

Joe Bloggs can't get VDSL. Eircom's copper intersects somewhere not too far away with Siro, they can then sell him VDSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Joe Bloggs can't get VDSL. Eircom's copper intersects somewhere not too far away with Siro, they can then sell him VDSL?

No, that'll never happen. They'll only fit cabs where warranted and if there's that much demand they'll run thei own 24x optical strands.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭WicklowTiger

murphaph wrote: »
    The "previous" with Eircom will neither help nor hinder your chances of getting Siro. It will play no role whatsoever.

Thanks. I meant more the potential issue with getting them to run cables up a road with so few houses on it. Or have I misunderstood how it works? Does it use existing power lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

murphaph is right. The NBP states a minimum of 30Mbps downstream.

It also painfully has a minimum upstream of 6Mbps (to allow the WISPs a farts chance in a perfume factory of making a potentially successful submission for the NBP). I got this gem from a DCENR guy several weeks back.

The NBP is for a 20 year time frame and I did say to him that while 30Mbps maybe just about adequate for most for now, it sure as sh1t won't cut it in 2-3 years, let alone in 2036. He assured me that the ISPs had to indicate how they would facilitate future growth and upgrades and that this would be a major factor in who wins.

Since Fibre is currently the only obvious candidate for that requirement, then that should be the only solution that should be picked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

MMFITWGDV wrote:
    Since Fibre is currently the only obvious candidate for that requirement, then that should be the only solution that should be picked.

I still have nightmares of the national broadband scheme being given to a mid band provider though. I won't hold my breath just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

I live in Wexford in town. My house is on a road with just 5 houses on it. Went through years of fighting with eircom before I gave up on getting efibre. What's the chances of being able to get SIRO in these circumstances?

I'd say you'd be okay.

They'll be following the route the electricity cables come into your house I'd imagine, and since it's nothing to do with Eircom, you'd probably have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I'd say you'd be okay.

They'll be following the route the electricity cables come into your house I'd imagine, and since it's nothing to do with Eircom, you'd probably have no problem.
    What I'd like to know is what kind of bounds will they put on their service area. Like if there is a housing estate a little outside the town, will they serve that if it's less than 500 metres away from the next housing estate or developed area that is within the town? How big would a nearby housing estate have to be to have it included within Siro? I'm thinking of Grange Rath near Drogheda as an example, it's in Co. Meath and quite some distance from the centre of town but it's got perhaps hundreds of residential units within it.

Quickly recover the install costs = Done first
    Slowly recover the install costs = Done last
    Nigh on never recover install costs = Pray for NBP money

If it makes sense theyll likely do it, but its totally up to them. Their planners will decide, there isnt a rule and we cant predict it. Its not like eircom where the reach from the exchange (most often main street in a town) is 6km for ADSL and is pretty easy to guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

What I'd like to know is what kind of bounds will they put on their service area. Like if there is a housing estate a little outside the town, will they serve that if it's less than 500 metres away from the next housing estate or developed area that is within the town? How big would a nearby housing estate have to be to have it included within Siro? I'm thinking of Grange Rath near Drogheda as an example, it's in Co. Meath and quite some distance from the centre of town but it's got perhaps hundreds of residential units within it.
    I say a small chance they did say some house Would be passed with siro so Grange Rath could be one of them because it outside Drogheda doh maybe phase 2.It also really hard to say since nobody really know Esb plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i am correct assuming that vodafone will have a foot in both camps.

They can sell both the esb option and the eircom option. how are they going to market that. I know all operators will have this opportunity.

You can have have 1gig with eircom or esb supplied fibre. Everyone is going to go for the cheaper option.

Not all areas will have both. Certainly not NBP intervention areas. Where there are both youll likely have a choice if theres no optic in situe, or use whoever is in situe if not.

You could even order ESB fibre through Vodafone and eircom fibre through Sky at the same time, spread your bets! :pac:

Not all areas will have both. Certainly not NBP intervention areas. Where there are both youll likely have a choice if theres no optic in situe, or use whoever is in situe if not.

You could even order ESB fibre through Vodafone and eircom fibre through Sky at the same time, spread your bets! :pac:

ill have the option of both in castlebar.:D

its who ever lashes down enough fibre to come out to my estate although with 120 houses in it , i cant see it being left out.

Yeah, just because your town will have both, doesnt mean your address will (think you get this, but just for clarity). We can expect them to at least start in different areas of "contested" towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

There is no business case for an operator to build out Fiber to an already Fiber-connected home. The economics just don't work unless the existing operator is doing an unholy miserable job of supporting its customers and all customers in a locality will churn to the new one. Therefore it's a land grab and a race between Esb/VF and Eircom to get Fiber deployed and homes connected asap, as whoever wins that race will own the market......IE the operator who connects you first will be the winner, the guy that comes late will find the market is taken

Yeah, just because your town will have both, doesnt mean your address will (think you get this, but just for clarity). We can expect them to at least start in different areas of "contested" towns.

i am aware of that.

At least the town has it from the start. As the previous poster says, 1st is first and 2nd is nowhere in getting fiber down and people connected. I assume estates are going to have it hit a trigger point before anyone bothers laying fiber all the way out.

ctlsleh wrote: »
    There is no business case for an operator to build out Fiber to an already Fiber-connected home. The economics just don't work unless the existing operator is doing an unholy miserable job of supporting its customers and all customers in a locality will churn to the new one. Therefore it's a land grab and a race between Esb/VF and Eircom to get Fiber deployed and homes connected asap, as whoever wins that race will own the market......IE the operator who connects you first will be the winner, the guy that comes late will find the market is taken
    irishgeo wrote: »
    i am aware of that.

At least the town has it from the start. As the previous poster says, 1st is first and 2nd is nowhere in getting fiber down and people connected. I assume estates are going to have it hit a trigger point before anyone bothers laying fiber all the way out.

Presumably the two Fibre providers will not run competing lines into the same areas of any town. After all they are only providing the infrastructure, not the service. It would be economic madness to duplicate that.

Any ISP can provide the service, whether it's on Eircom's or Siro's glass tube after it's run to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Presumably the two Fibre providers will not run competing lines into the same areas of any town. After all they are only providing the infrastructure, not the service. It would be economic madness to duplicate that.

Any ISP can provide the service, whether it's on Eircom's or Siro's glass tube after it's run to the house.

That's true, but they will both expect to capture those customers with their own retail services offering. What remains to be seen is whether Eircom will offer services on the Siro network and whether VF will offer on the Eircom network.....The only other real alternatives are UPC and Sky as service providers as far as I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I just remembered this photo I took near Dundalk railway station, running along the R178 nearly 3 weeks. There's a thinner black cable running underneath the 3-phase power lines, with new galvanised mounts on the poles. In the photo, there's some kind of black, sealed joining box mounted a little bit down the pole, at the same level as the gutter of the house beside it. It's of the same kind I've seen used for fibre optic cables in manholes.

There's another cable like this which was also recently erected on some of Hill Street in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

I just remembered this photo I took near Dundalk railway station, running along the R178 nearly 3 weeks. There's a thinner black cable running underneath the 3-phase power lines, with new galvanised mounts on the poles. In the photo, there's some kind of black, sealed joining box mounted a little bit down the pole, at the same level as the gutter of the house beside it. It's of the same kind I've seen used for fibre optic cables in manholes.

There's another cable like this which was also recently erected on some of Hill Street in Dundalk.

My father will be happy with that, he lives on the main road in Ard Easmuinn. I got a notification in the door the other day from ESB networks to say my power was going to be knocked off for network upgrading. That coupled with ESB going along the other the other week cutting back trees I was convinced they were going to run cable. No such luck though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Cool, its not very sexy, compaired to the backhaul eircom fiber run i snapped lulz.
    Yes thats is the interconnecting node you are talking about where the fiber run can be split and joined in this protective houseing .

I've seen those boxes on poles pretty much everywhere. there's one just off the main road on the hill in Cobh.

You sure it's only a fibre thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MackMack

I've seen those boxes on poles pretty much everywhere. there's one just off the main road on the hill in Cobh.

You sure it's only a fibre thing?

Ya, they're all over Cobh. At least from Top of the Hill out west as far as the ferry, those black boxes are on every third or fourth pole. There's a lot of new lines run to the houses too with the lines just left hanging.
    Hopefully they'll go live at some stage this year.

If the box in question is about 10 inches square and mounted "hoirzontally" its nothing to do with optics, its part of the mains network.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Its the one at gutter level
    In the photo, there's some kind of black, sealed joining box mounted a little bit down the pole, at the same level as the gutter of the house beside it. It's of the same kind I've seen used for fibre optic cables in manholes.

If the box in question is about 10 inches square and mounted "hoirzontally" its nothing to do with optics, its part of the mains network.

It's pretty similar to the one hanging off the pole in the picture above, about halfway down, literally an inch or two off the pole, though they're usually tidier form what I've seen.

The Cush wrote: »
    Its the one at gutter level
    It's pretty similar to the one hanging off the pole in the picture above, about halfway down, literally an inch or two off the pole, though they're usually tidier form what I've seen.

That box may or may not be Fibre related.

See the attached two pics from my village. I know the top strand on the poles is the core Fibre run to the exchange. In the first picture you can see two of those boxes. The one circled in red is the fibre one and the other (circled green) is for the copper. In the second picture there is only the fibre one (it's on the adjacent pole to the one in the first picture).

According to my friendly linesman, there was probably a break in the line between those two poles at some stage, from a fallen tree. These boxes must be like a junction box or something. I'll probably meet him next week, so will ask.

For copper units like that are called "Potheads". You're correct, its a junction box of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

In case anyone is interested, I asked Siro on Twitter how far out of a town like Dundalk will the rollout reach. This was their reply:

Hi, Phase 1 of the Siro rollout is focused on homes and premises within the urban boundaries of the towns in scope. 1/3

The coverage area for phase 1 is not based on a radial measurement or distance limit. The decision on what constitutes an 2/3

Urban boundary for each town is based on a combination of geographical and commercial considerations. 3/3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

rustalan wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested, I asked Siro on Twitter how far out of a town like Dundalk will the rollout reach. This was their reply:

Hi, Phase 1 of the Siro rollout is focused on homes and premises within the urban boundaries of the towns in scope. 1/3

The coverage area for phase 1 is not based on a radial measurement or distance limit. The decision on what constitutes an 2/3

Urban boundary for each town is based on a combination of geographical and commercial considerations. 3/3

What I feel like replying back to them...

Advertisement