Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sierra are doing the work, I've seen them advertising for linesmen on LinkedIn saying it's for the Esb/Voda contract. Kn are working for Eircom

Unless there is some sort of exclusivity contract, I'd expect both KN and Sierra are working with both SIRO and Eircom.

kn have certainly worked with UPC and ESB on fibre in the past. There is plenty of work to go around and I expect all companies with the necessary experience to be involved at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eircom use KNN exclusively. Whether or not thats contractual or by choice I've no idea but its all KNN. The only involvement Sierra have is where they do the 2 part silly install process for Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Nollog

Things have been fairly quiet, seems to be SIRO's forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Things have been fairly quiet, seems to be SIRO's forte.

Agreed. However has anyone seen work being carried out in any of the first 10 towns in the rollout yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

cunnijo wrote: »
    Agreed. However has anyone seen work being carried out in any of the first 10 towns in the rollout yet?

Been watching Clonmel and carrigaline im in both regularly , not a sausage !.
    I have spotted the core wrapped over power lines heading into cork city and in carrigaline sub station. Nothing at street level though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I was talking to Vodafone CSR about broadband who reckoned it would be rolled out in Dublin in about 4 months. Seeing as it's not on the list of 50 towns how likely is that?

I see talk of a dark metro network when I searched for news about it. The link only directs to silicon republic videos instead of the actual video.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Keith186 wrote: »
    I was talking to Vodafone CSR about broadband who reckoned it would be rolled out in Dublin in about 4 months. Seeing as it's not on the list of 50 towns how likely is that?

I see talk of a dark metro network when I searched for news about it. The link only directs to silicon republic videos instead of the actual video.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

The person you were talking to were more than likely talking through their arse. This forum is a more reliable source of information than most CSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

guil wrote: »
    The person you were talking to were more than likely talking through their arse. This forum is a more reliable source of information than most CSR.

I was surprised when they said that so that's why I'm here checking up on them. So no talk of VF ESB fibre in Dublin just yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I hear Eircom have put in place a large amount of core fibre for Vodafone in Dublin over the last few months. However I believe and assume that this fibre is back haul for Vodafones 3G/4G cell sites and maybe backhaul from exchanges for VDSL, I don't believe it is for SIRO.

I'd be very surprised if SIRO decided to go head to head with both Eircom and UPC in Dublin at this stage. Far easier and more profitable to target the non UPC urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

yuloni wrote: »

Very possibly.

Vodafone are probably mostly interested in Virgin Media, the largest cable operator in the UK, thus making Vodafone the second largest fixed broadband and TV operator in the UK and giving them a quad play operation to compete from similar quad play threats from BT and Sky in their home market.

UPC Ireland is now directly a subsidiary of Virgin Media UK.

Also it might explain why UPC didn't join the ESB in SIRO and why SIRO isn't targeting UPC areas. SIRO + UPC make a martial fit.

There would be some competition concerns. Vodafone would be less likely to offer cut price VDSL to compete with UPC and UPC would likely cancel its planned launch of a virtual mobile network. But it could also be good, creating a more complete and powerful competitor to Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

yuloni wrote: »
    One of the talks is by Trevor Lucy - SIRO's Technical Director. For the more technically minded, what are the questions you would want answered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

KOR101 wrote: »
    One of the talks is by Trevor Lucy - SIRO's Technical Director. For the more technically minded, what are the questions you would want answered?

GPON plans for the future ? Realistic time frames for rollouts, Price break downs , Resellers that have signed up ?

Not much by way of news.

Procurement and systems design nearly finished. Actual construction to start before the end of the month.

They will use something called 'understringing'. He showed a picture of a pole with 4 electricity lines, and then a 5th one below which was the fibre one.

He said that international providers of FTTH think it's not a good idea to take on cable providers. Hence the choice of 50 regional towns.

He said the plan was to the 50 towns and then in 3/4 years see where to go from there. He implied there would be further areas.

He wouldn't give any indication about pricing, but did say it's a premium product.

There was only one product 1000 symmetric.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Not much by way of news.

Procurement and systems design nearly finished. Actual construction to start before the end of the month.

They will use something called 'understringing'. He showed a picture of a pole with 4 electricity lines, and then a 5th one below which was the fibre one.

He said that international providers of FTTH think it's not a good idea to take on cable providers. Hence the choice of 50 regional towns.

He said the plan was to the 50 towns and then in 3/4 years see where to go from there. He implied there would be further areas.

He wouldn't give any indication about pricing, but did say it's a premium product.

There lot towns on there list that has UPC in them can't understand why they wouldn't wanna take on cable operators when FTTH superior to cable.

Yeah, the cable operators can relatively easily switch on 1Gb/s with DOCSIS 3.1 or even DOCSIS 3.0 at relatively minimum cost compared to rolling out FTTH, so they would thus be able to undercut the FTTH supplier and of course have an existing relationship with their customers.

Yes, cable 1GB/s probably wouldn't be quite as nice as FTTH (slower upload speed and potentially higher contention ratios), but good enough to probably hold onto most customers.

That mightn't go so well. I suspect they will need to match or perhaps even undercut Eircoms VDSL pricing. For most people 50Mb/s+ is probably "good enough" for the next few years and they won't pay too much more for 1Gb/s

rob808 wrote: »
    There lot towns on there list that has UPC in them can't understand why they wouldn't wanna take on cable operators when FTTH superior to cable.

Explained above. Cable can likely match the download speed, while undercutting their pricing and having an existing relationship with customers.

While they list towns and cities that have cable (e.g. Cork) they previously said it would come down to a street by street level. If one street has UPC they will skip it, but might then service the street over that has no UPC. Lots of these listed towns have spotty UPC service. For instance many areas of Cork have crappy wireless feed UPC cable and can't offer UPC DOCSIS 3.0, so obviously they would be more interested in targeting those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Based on the report above by KOR101 I have the distinct impression that SIRO might not be really interested in competing in the 'general' market at all (with their own fibre runs), but will be aiming for locations with customers who have higher requirements that might buy 1,000 symetric at the premium price. SIRO could then use Eircom's fibre for the lower requirements of most of us.

If that is the case it leaves the NBP to Eircom (and maybe some WISPs :( )

bk wrote: »
    Explained above. Cable can likely match the download speed, while undercutting their pricing and having an existing relationship with customers.

While they list towns and cities that have cable (e.g. Cork) they previously said it would come down to a street by street level. If one street has UPC they will skip it, but might then service the street over that has no UPC. Lots of these listed towns have spotty UPC service. For instance many areas of Cork have crappy wireless feed UPC cable and can't offer UPC DOCSIS 3.0, so obviously they would be more interested in targeting those areas.
    Well FTTH can go beyond 1Gb if they want and two town jump to my mind navan and swords have UPC and balbriggan So they are going into towns with UPC in them,but UPC won't do anything at the moment since siro not really going into Dublin so upc market share in Dublin still good since there only up against efibre areas.

• Advertisement

Based on the report above by KOR101 I have the distinct impression that SIRO might not be really interested in competing in the 'general' market at all (with their own fibre runs), but will be aiming for locations with customers who have higher requirements that might buy 1,000 symetric at the premium price. SIRO could then use Eircom's fibre for the lower requirements of most of us.

If that is the case it leaves the NBP to Eircom (and maybe some WISPs :( )
    Nah siro gona be bidding in NBP they were in Brussels talking to meps and EU how siro could help the rural deivide on June 3 so they must be interested in it.There would be a lot people rural Ireland interested in 1Gb sure hell I would love it.

Here's the talk, including Q and A at end. You'll need to skip bits.....

https://soundcloud.com/user282274141/trevor-lucy-siros-technical-director

I think after listening to that I don't think they have much interest in NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for the Soundcloud link KOR101 ;)

It is very clear to me that SIRO will be offering symetric 1,000 to all retailers.

It is then up to the retailers what packages they make available to their customers.

Unfortunately for those of us 'out in the sticks' we must await the Gov and their tender process to see what might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

rob808 wrote: »
    I think after listening to that I don't think they have much interest in NBP.

Why do you say that? I didn't listen to the whole thing but he did say that they would be going for it in the part I heard

digiman wrote: »
    Why do you say that? I didn't listen to the whole thing but he did say that they would be going for it in the part I heard
    Well guess I think that way because they don't come a cross as much as Eircom as being interested in it.

digiman wrote: »
    He was asked in the Q and A whether he thought there was a role for wireless in the NBP. He sort of shrugged and said it depended on what the government came up with. I did have the same impression as rob808 that it was surprisingly casual. The whole talk really was about their 450m investment and 500,000 homes. There wasn't any focus on promoting themselves as the best choice for the NBP.

He was asked in the Q and A whether he thought there was a role for wireless in the NBP. He sort of shrugged and said it depended on what the government came up with. I did have the same impression as rob808 that it was surprisingly casual. The whole talk really was about their 450m investment and 500,000 homes. There wasn't any focus on promoting themselves as the best choice for the NBP.
    yea that true Im not trying to say anything bad about siro there only new to the market so there really only interest in the towns and city's at moment we're there going to invest there money.The NBP another thing a wait and see what goverment come up with kinda hate that it like guessing game:).

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

bk wrote: »

How long would you expect for it to take for UPC to start offering 1GB speeds? What kind of upload speed could you expect over cable compared to FTTH?

• Advertisement

Joo0 wrote: »
    How long would you expect for it to take for UPC to start offering 1GB speeds? What kind of upload speed could you expect over cable compared to FTTH?
    I say UPC waiting on docsis 3.1 to come out they be able to compete against FTTH handy enough.

Advertisement