Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

rob808 wrote: »
    I say UPC waiting on docsis 3.1 to come out they be able to compete against FTTH handy enough.

No challenge to them accept in areas where copper main feed drops are yet to be upgraded ( they have most of that done ) Good old Virgin Media. They can look forward to some awesome speeds on Coax for years to come .

10Gbps down and 1Gbps up So an upgrade of Gpon tech being pushed now would be required to take upc off its perch.
    DOCSIS 3.0 can already support about a gigabit efficiently .

A little old but explains why isps dont push it now on 3.0
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/why-comcast-and-other-cable-isps-arent-selling-you-gigabit-internet/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Unfortunately for those of us 'out in the sticks' we must await the Gov and their tender process to see what might happen.
    Depends where you are. Eircom will roll out ftth to 300k of the 760k premises originally destined for nbp subsidy. That's what, about 40% and remember... At least there is a plan for the rest. There's no such "total coverage" plan in the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, US, Australia....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Has anyone, anywhere in the country, seen any evidence of a Siro rollout?

PeadarB wrote: »

Nope took pics the other day of Enet pushing fiber outside Corks Courthouse ( Don't ask)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Nollog

They're very secretive, no price, no siro vans.
    Hard to tell.
    Since moving to Letterkenny a week ago I've seen more ESB vans than I had in my life up to then(and I had family who worked for the ESB), but again who knows if that has anything to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I saw what looked like fibre being put up on ESB pylons yesterday evening on the Cahir bypass, here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/N24,+Co.+Tipperary,+Ireland/@52.3901601,-7.89983,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x484335a502e0620b:0x2e41910ada895ba

Didn't see who was doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Think it was siteserv, was out checking esb meter's to homes for esb for fibre. Was in a shop where they checked with owner if shop had different meter to house attached. He said they hoped to have all of Dundalk and Blackrock done in 18 months.

raytaxi wrote: »
    Think it was siteserv, was out checking esb meter's to homes for esb for fibre. Was in a shop where they checked with owner if shop had different meter to house attached. He said they hoped to have all of Dundalk and Blackrock done in 18 months.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored/prepare-to-be-dazzled-mega-fast-broadband-is-coming-to-town-1.2272443

Cavan Town amd Dundalk according to this article yesterday.

From the article -
    ""Construction work is about to begin on the first phase of the project. “We spent the first half of the year preparing to start. We had to build a new infrastructure company from scratch,” says Atkinson.

“We are appointing contractors on a regional basis at the moment. The first area to start will be the North-East region, which will include Dundalk and Cavan town. The current plan is to reach all 50 towns by the end of 2018. That could accelerate, depending on how things go. We have to get all the contractors bedded in and then see how fast we can run. We hope to have six of the first 10 towns connected by the end of this year.”"

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

There was a Sierra van parked down the road from me in Dundalk staying at a B&B for the last few weeks. It had the working on behalf of ESB Networks sticker removed from it. It was back yesterday and now has the Siro logo on the side.

Pretty useless info but I guess it shows some activity in the area.

There was a lot of Siro activity on the point road in Dundalk the last few days. Looks like a lot was done. Took pics of the polls. I can lump them up somewhere if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

rustalan wrote: »
    There was a lot of Siro activity on the point road in Dundalk the last few days. Looks like a lot was done. Took pics of the polls. I can lump them up somewhere if anyone is interested.

Yes please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

rustalan wrote: »

Thank you! :)
    irishgeo wrote: »
    the winter storms will have a field day with that sort of setup,

Agreed - those "units" hanging off the pole are only held on by metal straps. That doesn't look very sturdy to me. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

These "units" look to me like 3Phase +Neutral OBC (TYPE OF CONDUCTOR) switching or fusing disconnects for 400v lt system.
    I can assure you they have been is use for years are seldom give problems.
    They have nothing to do with SIRO or BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Indeed, theyre all over the place and mounted like that.

Its the creaky wooden eircom plant that we have to worry about, not the mains network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Exactly, it's a set of fuses (disconnects)

I thought it looked familiar.

I posted a pic of a similar box hanging off the pole thinking it had something to do with Siro a while back too.

Indeed, it was only after I posted the images I looked at street view and seen the units were already there. The only new thing is the orange cable in the first image. This goes directly into the ESB manhole beside the pole.

I only posted the images as the SIRO vans were on the road for a few days. The power was also down on the road. My sister in law lives there.

Yup i have seen those all over, But also there are some new looking boxes around cork city beige colour and one orange line coming up out of it and down the pole into the manhole , Must go take a closer look at that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

spotted a SIRO van in Dundalk this morning hopefully get some details on what will be available soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

That orange pipe is probably for another ESB power cable. I doubt if it will contain any BB cable as "orange pipes" are for power cables only.

The ESB are rolling out 220 kvolt, so might be that.

I only know about it because there's a hu-bub about them not doing it in letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

/\/ollog wrote: »
    The ESB are rolling out 220 kvolt, so might be that.

I only know about it because there's a hu-bub about them not doing it in letterkenny.

Seen sierra / siro techs in uniform in a plain white unmarked transit van working in my estate in dundalk yesterday lifting esb manholes and measure distance from manholes to houses in estate. Looks like prep work is well under way.

Dundalk going live in September, at least in the Coes Road area, per Siro.

"We have commenced construction on the network with a trial over 800 homes in the Coes Road area, going live in September, before the service becomes commercially available in the following weeks. Over the coming months we will connect over 18,500 premises to SIRO, revolutionising the broadband experience in the area".

How long before we get this in Letterkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

"We have commenced construction on the network with a trial over 800 homes in the Coes Road area, going live in September, before the service becomes commercially available in the following weeks. Over the coming months we will connect over 18,500 premises to SIRO, revolutionising the broadband experience in the area".

Where did you get this information? Is it publicly available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Any idea how to get onto this trial?

Mgit wrote: »
    Where did you get this information? Is it publicly available?

Launch announced on Twitter today.

Siro "Roll Out Plan" Link for Dundalk, http://siro.ie/towns/dundalk-fibre-to-the-building/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Launch announced on Twitter today.

Siro "Roll Out Plan" Link for Dundalk, http://siro.ie/towns/dundalk-fibre-to-the-building/

all we need now is some pricing.

• Advertisement

Another trial? :| lordy lord.

Advertisement