Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

ED E wrote: »
    When they started lots of those areas were 25Mb and 30Mb MMDS systems.

Now though, they can still compete with a better TV service. Lots seem to prefer it. Their PVRs are way better than UPCs and miles ahead of eircoms. And their licencing deals give them a lot of good exclusive content.

Yeah I agree with that, Sky's TV is miles better than UPC's but UPC's internet is miles better than Sky's.

That's why I was saying a deal with ESB/Vodafone could help fix the broadband gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Yeah I agree with that, Sky's TV is miles better than UPC's but UPC's internet is miles better than Sky's.

That's why I was saying a deal with ESB/Vodafone could help fix the broadband gap.

Most people aren't that bothered about their broadband speeds as long as its reliable and cheap and they can check their email, Facebook, online shopping etc. For most people switching to UPC it was more about price and convenience than speed. Sky was €25-30pm and your dsl broadband was €40+ where as UPC was a bit cheaper and came on a single bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

most people now also stream tv from the players, netflix, sport.
    Also have several devices doing that at once. Speed is becoming more important than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

most people now also stream tv from the players, netflix, sport.
    Also have several devices doing that at once. Speed is becoming more important than ever

Speed AND quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

crawler wrote: »
    Speed AND quality

Quality is the main thing for me. Even my measily 2mb connection wouldn't be too bad if it was constant 2mb and had average, consistent latency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Gimme fibre you *uckers

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ordin73

I was just wondering has anyone heard any updates as to when these trials will be starting in the Cavan area? I know the ESB has already laid the cables from the fibre broadband cabinets to the houses a few months ago but the entire thing seems to have come to a full stop :confused:

I wonder would existing Vodafone customers be given the option to switch to ESB Vodafone?

Be really interesting if it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Ordin73 wrote: »
    I was just wondering has anyone heard any updates as to when these trials will be starting in the Cavan area? I know the ESB has already laid the cables from the fibre broadband cabinets to the houses a few months ago but the entire thing seems to have come to a full stop :confused:

Election is over....."all promises are null and void"

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Askeaton, thats mentioned will be getting Eircom fibre to the cabinet this july, its about 9 miles from my house.. Its small town about 13 to 15 miles outside Limerick city (2,000 people at most) Its very rural in the middle of nowhere really. Great to see fibre reaching rural areas now. The cabinets have already been placed and installed, i passed them while driving through.

And who said Fibre would never go beyond our cities!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Any updates on this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Any updates on this?!
    The election is over carry on nothing to see here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    Askeaton, thats mentioned will be getting Eircom fibre to the cabinet this july, its about 9 miles from my house.. Its small town about 13 to 15 miles outside Limerick city (2,000 people at most) Its very rural in the middle of nowhere really. Great to see fibre reaching rural areas now. The cabinets have already been placed and installed, i passed them while driving through.

that's all well and good but people need to be connected to a cabinet in order to get fibre in the first place. Many people in a rural fibre 'live' area are either too far away from a cabinet or close to one and just not connected up to it. My area of Dunshaughlin went live a week ago, Ive tried friends and neighbours lines and none of them are passing (even those close to the cabinets). The cabinets nearest to me (1.8km away) are definitely live as I can hear a wirring sound as I walk past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's all well and good but people need to be connected to a cabinet in order to get fibre in the first place. Many people in a rural fibre 'live' area are either too far away from a cabinet or close to one and just not connected up to it. My area of Dunshaughlin went live a week ago, Ive tried friends and neighbours lines and none of them are passing (even those close to the cabinets). The cabinets nearest to me (1.8km away) are definitely live as I can hear a wirring sound as I walk past them.

That WIRRING sound you can hear is probably the hamster in the wheel, bless him:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Gonzo wrote: »

Give it another few days. Can take up to two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You sure its a VDSL cab? The Huawei ones are a pretty quiet. The Alcatel ones are noisy yokes but they were only used in trial areas.

I wonder what speeds will be available when this finally does launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Some good news on this front.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/esb-and-vodafone-to-invest-450-million-in-fibre-broadband-network-1.1852617

First customers in 2015 according to that article which is a lot sooner than many expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/37476-esb-and-vodafone-announce/

The list of 50 towns:
    Arklow, Wicklow Letterkenny, Donegal
    Athlone, Westmeath Limerick City
    Balbriggan, Dublin Little Island, East Cork
    Ballina, Mayo Longford, Longford
    Ballincollig, Cork Mallow, Cork
    Bray, Wicklow Maynooth/Kilcock, Kildare
    Carlow, Carlow Midleton, Cork
    Carrick-on-Shannon, Leitrim Monaghan, Monaghan
    Carrigaline, Cork Mullingar, Westmeath
    Castlebar, Mayo Naas/Johnstown/Sallins, Kildare
    Cavan, Cavan Navan, Meath
    Celbridge, Kildare Newbridge, Kildare
    Clonmel, Tipperary Portlaoise, Laois
    Cobh, Cork Roscommon, Roscommon
    Cork City Shannon, Clare
    Drogheda, Louth Skerries / Rush, Dublin
    Dundalk, Louth Sligo, Sligo
    Ennis, Clare Swords /Malahide/Portmarnock, Dublin
    Enniscorthy, Wexford Tralee, Kerry
    Galway City Tramore, Waterford
    Gorey, Wexford Tullamore, Offaly
    Greystones, Wicklow Waterford City
    Kilkenny, Kilkenny Westport, Mayo
    Killarney, Kerry Wexford, Wexford
    Leixlip, Kildare Wicklow, Wicklow

D_BEAR wrote: »

The list of 50 towns:
    Cork City Shannon, Clare

Why in the sweet **** are Cork, Galway etc City on that list? Why not bring it to places that have bad connections FIRST, and then move to cover everywhere else?

I thought the original plan was to install these new services in towns that don't already have UPC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Why in the sweet **** are Cork, Galway etc City on that list? Why not bring it to places that have bad connections FIRST, and then move to cover everywhere else?

I thought the original plan was to install these new services in towns that don't already have UPC?

Return on investment, thats why

1huge1 wrote: »
    I suggest you look a bit closer at the list
    ?
    Return on investment, thats why
    Most of the towns/cities on the list already have 100Mb+ fibre. Unless Eircom charge a fair bit less than what the current providers charge, why would anybody switch to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sorry, misread your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

?

Most of the towns/cities on the list already have 100Mb+ fibre. Unless Eircom charge a fair bit less than what the current providers charge, why would anybody switch to them?

Because Eircom is a farce of a company and UPC is not much better.

If the ESB/Vodafone match or are less than UPCs' price I'd switch in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

D_BEAR wrote: »

The list of 50 towns:
    Cork City Shannon, Clare
    OMG.... yeppieeeeeee :)
    Because Eircom is a farce of a company and UPC is not much better.

If the ESB/Vodafone match or are less than UPCs' price I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Same to above :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Pat Rabitte sold this as a rural broadband solution. That it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 greilly123

Glad I did not get my hopes up for this. They are offering good broadband to people that already have good broadband looks like to me they want to go head to head with eircom efibre as most of them places have efibre already in them areas? Yes it can be good for them to drive the price down. But no good to me in kinlough co leitrim and we are not on the government list maybe we get e fibre in 2016 more likely 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

It's because they would be losing money if they took your option. Rolling out fibre isn't cheap and they're not using slaves to roll it out. No point spending ten of thousands of euro just to feed a dozen or so houses, you would have to lock people down contracts for decades to pay back the investment Vodafone and ESB are putting it to the area.

The good news is that there will be more demand customers. Eircom, UPC and Vodafone may delve into semi-rural areas to get ahead of each other.

Ireland will now have 3 nationwide-broadband infrastructures which is big change from the days we stuck with just Eircom's.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

KIERAN1 wrote: »

Askeaton supposedly now having a launch date of 14th of August from an Eircom represenative, so let's see how it pans out.........

• Advertisement

It's because they would be losing money if they took your option. Rolling out fibre isn't cheap and they're not using slaves to roll it out. No point spending ten of thousands of euro just to feed a dozen or so houses, you would have to lock people down contracts for decades to pay back the investment Vodafone and ESB are putting it to the area.

I'm not talking about complete rural areas that wouldn't even be classified as villages. This is my response to your point, which I posted already above:

Advertisement