Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Plans are afoot for the ESB network to be used to roll-out broadband across rural Ireland.

This is where the confusion arose from, earlier this year, but I and others in the know corrected you on this, but you refused to believe it.

The above project, announced by Pat Rabbite, is the National Broadband Plan, while is supposed to bring Fibre to every village in Ireland and may logically use the ESB network of poles, etc. to do this.

However this was never part of the ESB/Vodafone FTTH Joint Venture which was announced around the same time.

It was always very clear what the aim of the ESB/Vodafone JV was (FTTH in non UPC urban and semi-urban areas). It was never rural FTTH (and the NBP probably isn't either).

The details of the National Broadband Plan still aren't clear and still haven't been realised. So we have to continue to wait and see on this one. And it is a discussion for another day and another thread.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: Ok, now that it has been confirmed that this is FTTH in urban and semi-ubran areas and not rural Ireland, can we please limit the conversation to this project and what it is actually delivering.

People can start a separate thread on the National Broadband Plan if they want to discuss Fibre to rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

This is not the same plan, this is a joint venture between the ESB and Vodafone, the National Broadband Plan still exists
    I am aware this is not the National Broadband Plan, like I said in my last post (which you must have read at least some of).
    bk wrote: »
    This is where the confusion arose from, earlier this year, but I and others in the know corrected you on this, but you refused to believe it.

The above project, announced by Pat Rabbite, is the National Broadband Plan, while is supposed to bring Fibre to every village in Ireland and may logically use the ESB network of poles, etc. to do this.

However this was never part of the ESB/Vodafone FTTH Joint Venture which was announced around the same time.

It was always very clear what the aim of the ESB/Vodafone JV was (FTTH in non UPC urban and semi-urban areas). It was never rural FTTH (and the NBP probably isn't either).

The details of the National Broadband Plan still aren't clear and still haven't been realised. So we have to continue to wait and see on this one. And it is a discussion for another day and another thread.
    This is my problem right here. I didn't "refuse to believe" anything. Others did - check back in the posts - I agreed that this was more than likely another project which would only service the same people as all the other projects - people in urban areas. I agreed that I will likely not see FTTH in the next 15-20 years. I do not expect FTTH for 20 years.

It's the fact that Pat Rabbitte along with the media kept portraying this ESB venture as something that would increase connectivity in rural areas that annoys me so much, so much so that I probably believed them.

The problem in my opinion is the English used to describe this project. "Rural" in the government's eyes is towns of 4000 people or more, up to city level, which is really complete bullcrap. Another problem was probably the fact that the NBP was (and is being) discussed in thread, so that only added to confusion more.

Is that clear now...? Please tell me I'm not completely deluded, or am I confusing things again?

EDIT: just saw post...I thought there was a thread for the NBP?
    EDIT EDIT: here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057197149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

In fairness Pat Rabitte was on Morning Ireland this morning talking about the pending announcement of the ESB/Vodafone joint venture. He repeatly referred to the fact that this was a great thing for rural ireland. He praised eircom's roll out but said this venture would address those people in rural ireland who couldn't get high speed broadband at the moment. His message is completely confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Steviemak wrote: »
    In fairness Pat Rabitte was on Morning Ireland this morning talking about the pending announcement of the ESB/Vodafone joint venture. He repeatly referred to the fact that this was a great thing for rural ireland. He praised eircom's roll out but said this venture would address those people in rural ireland who couldn't get high speed broadband at the moment. His message is completely confused.

Thank you, it's not just me that's confused. It seems Pat Rabbitte is as well.

• Advertisement

I'm actually sort of surprised that UPC didn't partner with the ESB on this.

Given that it specifically targets areas which don't have UPC, then it would have been a quick and easy way for UPC to expand it's broadband and TV service to an extra 500,000 homes.

UPC already has a lot of experience and expertise with TV services, so it would have been quiet easy for them to do.

By not joining with the ESB, I feel UPC are limiting their future growth potential. Unless they can get access to this new ESB network, they are now based limited to their existing footprint. UPC might now kick themselves for not better covering all areas in Cork/Galway city, etc.

MOD: Again Steviemak, MajesticDonkey, etc, please limit the conversation to the FTTH JV. No more talking about rural FTTH, please do that on this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057197149

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53,977 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there any map of what towns are going to be done?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Having 1,000Mb up and down... My God the things ye could do!

I live near Carlow town and as this is FTTH it *should* reach me.

I'd jump on that in a heartbeat but I'm loving my 100Mb Vodafone connection as it is!

I'd love if they offered the option for Vodafone FTTC customers to move to Vodafone/ESB FTTH for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Eircom expects access to ESB and Vodafone fibre network.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/37488-eircom-expects-access-to/

• Advertisement

Nolars wrote: »

First read that and thought... Poor Eircom, they're gonna die off with their overpriced FTTC.

Then I thought well, they let Vodafone access their network so it's only fair I guess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's an open network so any one can offer services on it much like any one can offer services on the Eircom network.

Interesting, Eircom are looking for access to the ESB poles and ducts, rather then access to the ESB/Vodafones Joint Venture network.

So this is more like LLU, then bitstream.

I wonder would it make more sense for Eircom to just use the ESB/Vodafone network where available, but use the ESB poles and ducts to lay their own fibre to go head to head against UPC in UPC areas.

Of course UPC could also use the ESB poles and ducts to do their own FTTH. Things could get interesting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

bk wrote: »
    Interesting, Eircom are looking for access to the ESB poles and ducts, rather then access to the ESB/Vodafones Joint Venture network.

So this is more like LLU, then bitstream.

I wonder would it make more sense for Eircom to just use the ESB/Vodafone network where available, but use the ESB poles and ducts to lay their own fibre to go head to head against UPC in UPC areas.

Of course UPC could also use the ESB poles and ducts to do their own FTTH. Things could get interesting!!

That's interesting. I guess eircom want easier access to customers homes via the electricity cables ducting. At the moment using eircom's own access it is much more expensive to get into homes with fibre.

As ESB and Vodafone are using State owned infrastructure to build their network it is difficult to argue that eircom shouldn't also be provided with access. State infrastructure should be used to promote competition.

If eircom are given full access I'm not exactly sure what is in this for Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Covers my area - nice!

Will definitely be signing up for this when it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

I'll keep my UPC Fibre for now and see what the prices Voda/ESB offer on launch.

An amazing project this is and my how it's welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Headshot wrote: »

http://www.vodafone.com/content/index/media/vodafone-group-releases/2014/esb-vodafone-ireland.html

List at the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Apologies for the ignorance but ... for FTTH

Will this be a telephone exchange based type of tech or will they be using new nodes/hubs/centres ?

What's the range on FTTH - like how far can they run a fibre from a "node" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Headshot wrote: »

http://irelandoffline.org/newmap/#/fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

long_b wrote: »
    Apologies for the ignorance but ... for FTTH

Will this be a telephone exchange based type of tech or will they be using new nodes/hubs/centres ?

What's the range on FTTH - like how far can they run a fibre from a "node" ?

This is a fibre to the home/building project so no telephones needed.

Depending on the technology...length isn't really an issue as you can easily insert "extenders/couplers" on the fibre to "amplify" the light with little or no loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber_cable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

bealtine wrote: »
    This is a fibre to the home/building project so no telephones needed.

Depending on the technology...length isn't really an issue as you can easily insert "extenders/couplers" on the fibre to "amplify" the light with little or no loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber_cable

That's great !
    So, in theory, if you pay enough, they could supply anyone, anywhere with this type of service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Gombeen areas first I guess. Nenagh was left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

It would be more in the Governments line if they set up a proper fully functioning Broadband semi-state body and stop pussy footing round the whole BB issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

hallo dare wrote: »
    It would be more in the Governments line if they set up a proper fully functioning Broadband semi-state body and stop pussy footing round the whole BB issue.

A big waste of money, just give the job to ESB networks and subsidise rural areas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

This is certainly great news and my town is also covered. I just hope it's going to hit my estate :)

The possibilities would be endless with 1000m/bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

A big waste of money, just give the job to ESB networks and subsidise rural areas

Yeah, but sure they won't do that. At least if they set up another semi-state body then they could receive dividend every year from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Eh, no, they get subsidised enough as it it. The rural folk can either move house or wait for a decent wireless provider to be available for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

When will we hear that this has been approved by the European Commission? FTTH has big implications commercially. For example and use ENNIS, if all of Ennis has FTTH what happens to Eircom and all those lovely VDSL cabinets = defunct ie not needed a total waste of money.

And what happens if Eircom announce they are going to run fibre to the home from the cabinet = a lot cheaper and quicker.

I'll believe this network when I actually see it in operation but I am not holding my breath.

Imagine Ireland having some of the fastest internet in the world...

It just seemed too good to be true!

And with 1Gb... Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Eh, no, they get subsidised enough as it it. The rural folk can either move house or wait for a decent wireless provider to be available for the area.

The first step of decent rural wireless is fibre to the small towns and villages

Advertisement