Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

Spot on and as predicted it's flopped. Nintendo hit a niche with the Wii but long term they either need to s*^t or get off the pot. They need to take on Sony and MS because they won't be able to continue to have a success with one generation and then a flop with another. Also the handheld market will die over the next few years as people use tablet's for gaming rather then DS's or Vita's.

Maybe nintendo should be the first into Cloud gaming.

I play games on my phone, but I wouldn't be happy doing all my gaming on my phone.
    Candy Crush and temple run are games that work on touch screens, I never play a story-driven game, or platformer on it. They're not very good.
    I need buttons for platformers, and story-driven games require the type of investment android and ios developers don't do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I hope Nintendo never stop taking risks with their home consoles and handhelds.
    What a vanilla scene it would be if Sony and MS were the only players, another box, more platforms for the same old crap just with more graphical effects and more ways to shoehorn in revenue streams.
    Over the years Nintendo have given us d-pads, modern handheld gaming, 3d displays that are cheap and effective, analogue controllers as standard, employed the third dimension in gaming as no one else imagined with Mario 64 and Pilot wings 64, touchscreen gaming and loads more.
    The day they bring out another boring box of electronics that plays disks and fails to innovate beyond a spec sheet will be tragic.
    For every Gameboy they have also produced a SNES, with the only "failure" up to now being the Virtual Boy, a lovely device before it's time.
    The WiiU isn't a failure yet, but even if it is the games as released since launch and up to next year still make it a machine to own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

This backs up my earlier opinion: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/446277/blog/nintendo-must-reinvent-itself/

"It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids. That was pretty true across the other labels too. Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business, and EA like Activision is only focused on games that can be big franchises".

^ there you go....kids IP, yup...as i said the perception the Wii U and its games are for children....sure look at Miiverse ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

jenjenten wrote: »
    This backs up my earlier opinion: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/446277/blog/nintendo-must-reinvent-itself/

"It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids. That was pretty true across the other labels too. Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business, and EA like Activision is only focused on games that can be big franchises".

^ there you go....kids IP, yup...as i said the perception the Wii U and its games are for children....sure look at Miiverse ffs!

Whats wrong with Miiverse?? Because it doesnt have chrome edges or dark brooding text effects?

For all the faults Nintendo have, and the kids thing is an annoying but substantially true perception, people should be asking themselves why they keep feeding and making a cash cow like EA who consistently produce rip off barely updated games.

If there ever comes a bizarre time where EA survives longer than Nintendo, than people should take a long look at themselves in their PS4 mirror app.

Of all the article and that was the piece you quoted? It's quite a decent article that points out lots of ways Nintendo can get around their current problems instead of 'Nintendo's a kid's system, they're gonna die lol'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

You cant even say ass with being modded, deleted or banned....you cant do anything remotely adult on Mii....because its all full of children,

Corholio wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Miiverse?? Because it doesnt have chrome edges or dark brooding text effects?

For all the faults Nintendo have, and the kids thing is an annoying but substantially true perception, people should be asking themselves why they keep feeding and making a cash cow like EA who consistently produce rip off barely updated games.

If there ever comes a bizarre time where EA survives longer than Nintendo, than people should take a long look at themselves in their PS4 mirror app.

Of all the article and that was the piece you quoted? It's quite a decent article that points out lots of ways Nintendo can get around their current problems instead of 'Nintendo's a kid's system, they're gonna die lol'

• Advertisement

You cant even say ass with being modded, deleted or banned....you cant do anything remotely adult on Mii....because its all full of children,

Why would you expect to do "adult" things in a place that's designed to be accessible to kids from 2-100?

And what exactly are these adult things that Nintendo are depriving you of?

The glee that some people seem to take in discussing the downfall of the WiiU is a little sad. It may not be the most cutting edge of consoles and the game selection is limited but it has so much promise and there's quite a few gems available for it. If you are too stupid to recognise just how much fun can be has with the console then that's your loss. I have pretty much every console released over the past 30 years bar an Xbox One and WiiU and soon as I can afford it ill be getting a WiiU, even if tomorrow Nintendo announce that they are stopping development on all titles for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The reason Mass Effect was never going to sell was because by the time it came out everyone and their dog had already played it. EA should blame themselves for not putting something new on it. Not sure what they expected from mass effect 3 on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Havent you about another million internet forums to do that on?

I hope you realise the irony in you saying its full of kids because you're not allowed say 'ass' on it. I'd say it's mostly adults too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

You cant even say ass with being modded, deleted or banned....
    Where do I sign up? Sound like bliss compared to the nerd rage keyboard warriors you get every where else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Better off picturing Miiverse as a public park, you don't have the same freedom there to do what you like, you have to adhere to certain standards of behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I do not understand because its a kids platform a game did not sell sure you cant tell me only adults own a playstation and xbox since everytime I use to be playing games online all I ever heard on the mics were kids.

I don't know how ea expected mass effect 3 to sell well when 1. it had a low install base and 2. they released the 3rd game in the series when wii u owners never even played the first two.

I question peoples intelligence sometimes.

only company that gave any attempt towards the wii u were ubisoft , other companies were releasing games with missing features, dlc (etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I have pretty much every console released over the past 30 years bar an Xbox One and WiiU and soon as I can afford it ill be getting a WiiU, even if tomorrow Nintendo announce that they are stopping development on all titles for it.

Ah now.. if Nintendo announced they would stop development right now there is no way I'd purchase it.

If you are a collector fair enough..

I like Nintendo consoles and I have owned them all apart from the Wii U.

Come on Nintendo put the console out of it's misery and bring your games to the gamers on PlayStation and Xbox.

Did you own a Virtuaboy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The reason Mass Effect was never going to sell was because by the time it came out everyone and their dog had already played it. EA should blame themselves for not putting something new on it. Not sure what they expected from mass effect 3 on the system.
    ...I don't know how ea expected mass effect 3 to sell well when 1. it had a low install base and 2. they released the 3rd game in the series when wii u owners never even played the first two.

It might also have to do with the fact that when Wii U got ME3 both PS3 and x360 got ME1-3 with ALL DLC in one package for the same €60 price, fcuk EA! What did they expect?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm looking at this thread as a total neutral. You may recall before Christmas I started a thread about how I was surprised that the Wii U was looking like the console you wanted to own and I mentioned how I have pretty much completely taken Ninty out of my list of companies I'd consider doing business with.

Those reasons were this perception of "kids console" and "zero new IP" and combined with this weird attitude they seem to have to the Internet and the really strange reasons they seem to think that people playing their games competitively is "wrong" just makes me think they're a company that screams "niche" and that is actively trying to stay that way by simply not accepting the tastes of the main-stream games consumer who are the people who buy consoles.

I think the original Wii's success was very artificial for a few reasons:
    1. It was first to market with a gestures based interface and by and large, it worked ok. A certain percentage of the games buying public are going to rush to buy it cause it's something new and innovative and when was the last time Nintendo let anyone down? Some games made better use of it than others. Wii Sports was, as far as I'm concerned, a masterpiece in fun and playability and as a fantastic means to demonstrate what this little white box could do.
    2. They said they wanted it to be the "second console" in people's living rooms, so right off the bat they're planting the idea that it's not as good as it's rivals and that you're probably going to play multi-platform releases on the others and use your Wii for First Party stuff.
    3. Almost everyone I know who bought a Wii (and bearing in mind, most of my best friends are all serious games players), found that it was left gathering dust after about 6 months.
    4. Kinect and Move came along and did that one unique thing the Wii had much, much better (I accept this is possibly more of a matter of personal opinion for some, but having used all three, I'd rate Move on top with Kinect a close second).
    So, with all that in mind, knowing how ultimately little use their Wii got, most gamers I know who weren't big Nintendo fans were never going to bother buying another dust collector, weird second screen controller or not - after all, where Ninty leads, Sony and MS will follow and do better (except of course in the hand-held market, no one can touch the 3DS for very obvious reasons, it's a wonderful bit of kit).

What should change then?

Well for the moment, I'd be focussing on getting as many good games out the door as possible for the WiiU. I wouldn't rush to get something else out because simply put, they don't need to. They're a cash rich company as I understand it, so there's simply no need to panic.

They need to find a way to stand out again and they need to understand that they can't just think about how they work in Japan, they're in a massive global market with a culture that is quite different to their own and instead of being able to make a dent in that cultural soup, they're being left behind and are no longer seen as relevant. Gamers are knee-jerk reactionary idiots for the most part (don't get indignant, just look at this forum, even the title of this thread is a wildly inaccurate knee-jerk response from a statement made by the boss), so whilst you have to mostly ignore a lot of the whinging, you do have to see if there's a root cause that you can address.

They also need to get some third parties on board who can share the burden of PR and marketing and who will help sell consoles. This doesn't seem to be something they're good at and it's going to be a big mountain to climb given how many of the big publishers seem to want very little to do with it. Is there scope here for the WiiU to become an indie darling? It's a less rewarding outcome in terms of raw $$$$ as Indies generally speaking, won't sell as well and for as much money, but it could be a really nice starting point for building a whole new business for Ninty.

Ultimately, it's all about the games and right now, the perception is that there is a shortage of very good games for the WiiU which isn't necessarily true at all, but the truth and reality are not the same thing.

I'm reasonably sure this won't be more than an awkward speedbump for them, but when you hit a bump like that, you need to make sure you don't steer yourself into a wall by panicking at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Saying "Ass" isn't adult. And in most forum-related contexts it's positively adolescent. Though, admittedly, we couldn't have this exact conversation on MiiVerse without resorting to euphemism... That's not a bad thing, it broadens the vocabulary, and in general it makes MiiVerse a very positive place - saying negative and derogatory things is very difficult, but giving people virtual high-fives for collecting coins and stars is incredibly easy. Are we really at a point where a community that brings out the best in it's members is ridiculed?

Having said that, you can draw things you wouldn't say on Miiverse. Just don't cry when you get kicked out.

BTW, this may not be news to you guys but it was news to me - Nintendo release prime IP on Apple shocker!
    http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mIgPPCt4dcdw_6CzYRvdfRQ.jpg
    That's it, they're finished!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Wii having very few good games in another negative preception that has hurt the WiiU. Nothing could be further from the truth but people were too busy with the PS3 and 360 to explore it's library . I suppose in another way they didn't really need a Wii and therefore don't really need a WiiU.

tok9 wrote: »
    Ah now.. if Nintendo announced they would stop development right now there is no way I'd purchase it.

If you are a collector fair enough..

If Nintendo announced that they were stopping development then the price would drop to next to nothing and tbh there's quite a few titles on it that make it enticing.

Did you own a Virtuaboy?

Virtual Boy, and I have one still.
    They're lovely.
    You haven't lived til you've played Mario Tennis, Galactic Pinball or Red Alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Wii having very few good games in another negative preception that has hurt the WiiU. Nothing could be further from the truth but people were too busy with the PS3 and 360 to explore it's library . I suppose in another way they didn't really need a Wii and therefore don't really need a WiiU.

If you are Nintendo gamer, then yes, Wii is good deal. If you dont feel anything for Mario and Nintendo first party stuff, then it is a poor console.

I always hear on boards.ie how everyone is wrong and that Wii has lots of games to play. So I spent some time checking a good few Top lists and only very few games that would tickle my fancy as a gamer, who does not care about Zelda, Mario, Metroid. ( not saying those are bad, its just I dont care about them )

So the games that would interest me:

Xenoblade Chronicles
    Monster hunter tri ( I got ultimate edition on 3ds already )
    Resident evil 4 ( can be played elsewhere )

There are more games I would play on Wii U now, then in all existence of Wii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

as a gamer, who does not care about Zelda, Mario, Metroid

That has to be a pardox

Myrddin wrote: »
    That has to be a pardox

Not everyone goes like this when new Zelda or Mario announced. Matter of taste.

149.460x325.jpg

I always hear on boards.ie how everyone is wrong and that Wii has lots of games to play. So I spent some time checking a good few Top lists and only very few games that would tickle my fancy as a gamer, who does not care about Zelda, Mario, Metroid. ( not saying those are bad, its just I dont care about them )

You were reading the wrong top ten lists. The problem with the Wii is that there was lots of great games for it just most were not well known. There's loads of really great niche games for the system many that Nintendo didn't publish.

Not everyone goes like this when new Zelda or Mario announced. Matter of taste.

149.460x325.jpg

Certainly :) I'm not a huge Mario fan myself, am a huge Zelda fan though. Mario is very enjoyable none the less. They're almost universally acclaimed games, even as a 'gamer' you must appreciate the games despite not being your cup of tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

Like I said I went for an Xbox One but being honest PS4 already looks like the winner it will have the largest install base and the best performance.

Xbox One is a poor second place and Wii U is a disaster.

Let gaming be about the games Nintendo need to get on the Sony platform if they want to sell games.

Certainly :) I'm not a huge Mario fan myself, am a huge Zelda fan though. Mario is very enjoyable none the less. They're almost universally acclaimed games, even as a 'gamer' you must appreciate the games despite not being your cup of tea?

As I said, I am not calling them Bad or anything. I just dont want to play them, I dont to spend my money on them. If what, some modern Mario games I would not mind playing, but I just could completely ignore Zelda games. I did gave them a chance, but they were just annoying for me. I do realise there are people who love them, but I am not one of them. I am pretty sure I am not the only one. Wii U sales can back that up, even if one of the best Mario games came out on it and it still could not move Wii Us sales.

Retro: give me a list of best Wii games. You might skip on Mario/Zelda/Metroid related games. I will have a look at them ( reviews, gameplay on youtube ). I want to see those amazing games. ( I am not being smart arse here, I really want to see and understand which games are those games, that make wii good console )

Retro: give me a list of best Wii games. You might skip on Mario/Zelda/Metroid related games. I will have a look at them ( reviews, gameplay on youtube ). I want to see those amazing games. ( I am not being smart arse here, I really want to see and understand which games are those games, that make wii good console )

If you truly wanted to see & understand those games, wouldn't you be better playing them yourself rather than watching a video about what someone else thinks of them?

If you truly wanted to see & understand those games, wouldn't you be better playing them yourself rather than watching a video about what someone else thinks of them?

Why would I buy something, I dont know anything about? :confused: It applies to all games, not just Wii. Common sense I guess.

• Advertisement

Why would I buy something, I dont know anything about? :confused: It applies to all games, not just Wii. Common sense I guess.

And you'll 'truly understand' it from a youtube video?

Advertisement