Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retro: give me a list of best Wii games. You might skip on Mario/Zelda/Metroid related games. I will have a look at them ( reviews, gameplay on youtube ). I want to see those amazing games. ( I am not being smart arse here, I really want to see and understand which games are those games, that make wii good console )

Made a list in this thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057119248

I split them between games I think are amazing and games that I think are either an acquired taste or interesting but flawed. There's plenty of very interesting games on the Wii which I tend to enjoy more than dull blockbusters.

Also threw in the best of Wiiware there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Promethean

bought the wiiu for 3 reasons, zelda, smash bros. and mario kart, as long as we get those 3 in good condition, I'm happy, also Nintendo is so liquid apparently it can afford to make the same operating loss as last year for the next 30 years and still not go bust so I wouldn't be to worried about the company''s fate right now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Myrddin wrote: »
    And you'll 'truly understand' it from a youtube video?

I honestly dont understand your issue with this. I dont even know how to answer your question.
    I dont buy games just on the notice of its name. I want to see gameplay, review, opinion of it. Whats so hard to understand?! :confused:

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I split them between games I think are amazing and games that I think are either an acquired taste or interesting but flawed. There's plenty of very interesting games on the Wii which I tend to enjoy more than dull blockbusters.

Bookmarked it, will have a look later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Don't think i can see Link's Crossbow Training in there.

Hell, I enjoyed it. :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

As I said, I am not calling them Bad or anything. I just dont want to play them, I dont to spend my money on them. If what, some modern Mario games I would not mind playing, but I just could completely ignore Zelda games. I did gave them a chance, but they were just annoying for me. I do realise there are people who love them, but I am not one of them. I am pretty sure I am not the only one. Wii U sales can back that up, even if one of the best Mario games came out on it and it still could not move Wii Us sales.

Retro: give me a list of best Wii games. You might skip on Mario/Zelda/Metroid related games. I will have a look at them ( reviews, gameplay on youtube ). I want to see those amazing games. ( I am not being smart arse here, I really want to see and understand which games are those games, that make wii good console )

I agree, I don't like Zelda, haven't in years. Ditto Mario.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wonder if the people who say they hate zelda liked Darksiders.

I wonder if the people who say they hate zelda liked Darksiders.

Played darksiders. Liked the Universe a lot more ( even story ), but I still did not got in to enough to finish it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,556 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Given how different each Mario game has been it's hard to give credence to someone saying they don't like them.
    Zelda titles share elements more so, but there's still a world of difference between them in other respects, my son was playing Wind Waker HD followed by Twilight Princess and the differences were stark.
    Stick in a dislike of the Metroid series and, sorry, it's just a blanket dislike of Nintendo IP, biased and a sign of poor judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

While I adore LoZ, the formula is getting a little stale. The problem is that very early on the seeds of a nascent sandbox-world genre were there in the series but it never really developed for Zelda while other games made leaps and bounds. Now what once felt like unprecedented freedom has become almost restrictive through no fault of its own. I never finished the final dungeon in twilight princess, skyward sword fell by the wayside fairly quickly and I can't waste my precious dwindling game fund or time on WWHD when I've already beaten it. I'd like to see some development in the series, in the way Mario is allowed to but I know in my heart that when the princess needs me again I'll probably answer the call...

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Given how different each Mario game has been it's hard to give credence to someone saying they don't like them.
    Zelda titles share elements more so, but there's still a world of difference between them in other respects, my son was playing Wind Waker HD followed by Twilight Princess and the differences were stark.
    Stick in a dislike of the Metroid series and, sorry, it's just a blanket dislike of Nintendo IP, biased and a sign of poor judgement.

So not liking something is "poor Judgement"? :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Played darksiders. Liked the Universe a lot more ( even story ), but I still did not got in to enough to finish it.

What a terrible thing to say bro. I used to respect you. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Shadow, just as a matter of interest, what would be the games you tend to enjoy? Maybe can point you in the direction of Nintendo exclusives you haven't played based on that. You like what you like. Sure I don't like a lot of games that are popular such as RPGs, sims and RTSs

What a terrible thing to say bro. I used to respect you. :(

I did not said its bad lol! I have it on 360, but my 360 decided to die from sitting in a box doing nothing... :pac: I might have given it more plat time if I had it. I know that art style and story was cool, some enemies and bosses were very cool.

All in all its a lot better game then any zelda I played.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I did not said its bad lol! I have it on 360, but my 360 decided to die from sitting in a box doing nothing... :pac: I might have given it more plat time if I had it. I know that art style and story was cool, some enemies and bosses were very cool.

All in all its a lot better game then any zelda I played.

355.png

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Shadow, Zack & wiki for Wii is absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Nintendo have made a few flops but have come out of them ok, the Wii U will be no different.

Darksiders is pretty much a Zelda clone, although not nearly as good (still a good game).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

This thread has so much cringe written all over it...

Wii u is a brilliant console.. i bought an xbox one and few games and the wii u is taking up 80% of my gametime that says a lot.. hate people criticising a console when tbey dont have the console... embarrassing really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

This thread has so much cringe written all over it...
    Wii u is a brilliant console.. i bought an xbox one and few games and the wii u is taking up 80% of my gametime that says a lot.. hate people criticising a console when tbey dont have the console... embarrassing really
    I agree.

I don't get it, I really don't. I may have had a few too many, and my mind-to-keyboard skills may not work, or get me into trouble, but I've been reading this thread, and some of it makes no sense to me at all.. :confused:
    If you don't play Nintendo/Wii U games, fair enough, but what Nintendo have done to gaming is incredible.
    You may not like one or two of the more famous games, and probably do not know any of the others. But without them (as mentioned), a lot of games/features and a large portion of the way games are played, wouldn't exist.

One thing people don't seem to get, Especially in the case of Wii U, is that Nintendo are NOT in the battle with/against Sony and Microsoft.
    Those two are alone in their head to head battle for a space they both compete in, with 85% (Guess) of the same games.
    The Wii U is a completely different console with a completely different style of play, aimed at a completely different market. For ~ less than half the price.

I'm sure there are many analogies readily available, I'm just not very clear headed tonight..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Me personally

Liked Darksiders as well as many other similar games, and I've like the Zelda games I've played but those were generally on consoles I personally didn't buy or get ( siblings or playing at relatives/friends houses). Most of them I've only gotten as there were cheap/free (have a few copies of Darksiders) and on a PC or a console I'd already had. The wouldn't be the "killer app" for me.

And as for platformers, I'd not be a fan any more and the ones I do play still are either HD remakes of old PS1/PS2 games I grew up on or newer versions and if it wasn't for the nostalgia and familiar of the like of Spyro/Jak/ratchet/sly I probably wound't play them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,556 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So not liking something is "poor Judgement"? :confused:

Ah, selective reading.
    No, I said not liking then all is poor judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Banjo wrote: »
    While I adore LoZ, the formula is getting a little stale. The problem is that very early on the seeds of a nascent sandbox-world genre were there in the series but it never really developed for Zelda while other games made leaps and bounds. Now what once felt like unprecedented freedom has become almost restrictive through no fault of its own. I never finished the final dungeon in twilight princess, skyward sword fell by the wayside fairly quickly and I can't waste my precious dwindling game fund or time on WWHD when I've already beaten it. I'd like to see some development in the series, in the way Mario is allowed to but I know in my heart that when the princess needs me again I'll probably answer the call...

This exactly. I came to Nintendo late with the wii and had a lot of fun but quickly became tired of swinging the wiimote and really the only great game I completed was RE4. I have all of the first three metroids partially played (should of just finished the first but got stuck and after a couple of months found it easier to start the next one to get up to speed) and got a fair bit into Twilight Princess and Skyward sword but as great as they are they all demand time, patience and the odd bit of plodding back and forth which can sometimes feel like work. I'm the type of gamer who will play something like far cry 3 and just do the mission not bother crafting a wallet or a rucksack (I've gotten to Citra without doing this yet!)

I really enjoyed Darksiders 1 and 2 because much of the plodding was eliminated and it was more streamlined and I could pick up and play it for an hour for fun. I'm not saying they are better games as the peaks of zelda are better than those of Darksiders but there is also less troughs. All in my opinion of course and I do love Mario, Zelda and Metroid but i'll also be a day one buyer of Darksiders 3 should it ever come to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sales problems can often be solved by sales solutions. The marketing for WiiU was atrocious, as a casual gamer, it took me months to realise it was a next gen console rather than an add-on along the lines of the Wii-fit board etc.

Nintendo must be sitting on an ocean of unreleased content for the virtual console store: release this and allow 3rd party devs access to this store in an iTunes / Play Store style setup with old games going for a couple of dollars and new stuff for $5-$10 and you'll sell both an awful lot more of the console and a huge amount of software that has already had it's development costs recouped along with encouraging homebrew and "garage" developers to build content for the platform which Nintendo could take a fair commission on.

I'd say 80% of the game time logged on our Wii has been on virtual console games: the original Mario Bros, Bubble Bobble etc.

They fell out with EA over (as far as I'm aware) a refusal to put the Origin store on the box, so this is not likely to happen, but you never know, maybe they'll look back on that moment and think it could have been handled differently.

The only way I could see them accepting a looser approach to the online store is if they segregate the market between their approved eShop - for retail games, first party titles and any VC that they have already licensed or own the license to - and a more open (and therefore unregulated and covered by a Not Our Problem statement) marketplace, which I'm calling eMarket and expect to be well paid for my branding efforts. That presents it's own problems of account management (and accountability in the event of issues, console failure/loss etc) which is an area Nintendo are already pitiful at but when you're that bad at something surely the only way is up?

They have always been very protective of their younger player base at the expense of everyone else, Nintendo is generally a safe place for your kids to play unless you leave your copy of Madworld lying around or have friends who send you photos of their mickey by Letterbox (which is basically why there's no more Letterbox :( ). That's a lot for them to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

ok I've been reading through as this "debate" has ran and ran...

My thoughts:

Firstly and most importantly the Wii U is by no means dead in the water. That type of statement is just getting old at this stage.
    It will more than likely out sell the GameCube and that lasted 5 years.

Its only year 2 of its life cycle and has yet to release most of its major IP.
    Mario Kart, Super smash bros and Donkey Kong Country are all coming out soon and even a new Zelda could all be released this year. The first 3 games alone will make it worth the price of the console imo.

Nintendo are not head to head with Xbox One or PS4.

I'm sure they'd have like to take a bit more of that market but due to incredible poor marketing it now seems that their market is Nintendo fans/gamers looking for something different from the other two and kids who's parents got them one for xmas rather than a one or 4.

Power and graphics are not, I repeat NOT the be all and end all. Computer games are meant to be all about gameplay and fun.
    That said I was playing NSMB wii u last night. Its HD mario and it looks gorgeous. I'm yet to play Super mario 3D world but from the videos and commercials I've seen it looks stunning.

The wii u could probably do with a bit more 3rd party support I'll admit that but that said there are plenty of great and really do mean great games already released for this console. The mario games I've mentioned, pikmin, wonderful 101, lego city undercover, Zelda windwaker HD to name a few.

Anyway bottom line is Wii U has at least another few years in it. In this time I gaurantee it will release so fantastic games.

I feel sorry for the haters as theyre' missing out on what is genuinely a fantastic bit of kit from Nintendo.

And dont get me wrong I'm not a fanboy. I'll be buying a ps4 as soon as I've worked my way through my 360 back catalogue. For now though the Wii U is getting most of my attention. The off screen play on the gamepad in itself is reason enough to buy the console imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Why would I buy something, I dont know anything about? :confused: It applies to all games, not just Wii. Common sense I guess.

That doesn't make sense, would you watch a playthrough of a game you want to play yourself? If something is getting near universal praise then chances are it's worth playing. There's always going to be personal preference and things you find overrated and there's definitely a few big name games I'm not pushed about, never played any of the Mass Effect games for example. but I wouldn't write them off without ever having had a go of them.

As it is Mario Galaxy 2 is one of the finest games you'll ever play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Is it just me or do gamers play games for fun these days?

I've had most of the Nintendo offerings, PS3, 360 and an xps laptop (which was decent for the time).

I bought Wii U at Christmas. Playing Mario 3D world gives me immense enjoyment . To be fair it always has because Mario games are fun. I play FPS, RPG's, racing games, pretty much anything that can hold my interest as a gamer.

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy by any means. One of my favorite 'franchises' is Unchartered. I will buy a PS4 just for that!

The Wii U is taking my time up and I'm glad it is.

I get peoples preferences but for anyone that hasn't played through each of Nintendo's Mario games I don't understand!

Feck it I'm away to pre order Donkey Kong and maybe buy Resident Evil Revelations (demo was okay) and Pikmin 3!

I also don't get the 'kids' mentality about the Wii U, to be honest I couldn't give a fcuk about Miiverse.

I would like to see more third party games for it.

/edit In fairness bring me back to the SNES :)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah, selective reading.
    No, I said not liking then all is poor judgement.

So I dont enjot those products and you do call it "poor judgement" It is not selective reading. Its plain and simple.

I can say same thing: "If you dont like Heroes series, Settlers series and Civilisations series, then you have a poor judgement. " I dont care that you dont like these sort of games, its just poor judgement.

• Advertisement

I think his point is that these are 3 series that cover an immense spectrum of gaming genres, as opposed to a fairly narrow band like the example you've given, and to cheerfully state that you don't like the Nintendo IPs could be seen as you not liking Nintendo and therefore not considering the IPs. But it is, after all, only an implication.

Having said that, when a gamer is tired of Mario, he is tired of 1-Up. I mean life.

Advertisement