Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

:rolleyes: you see!....Nintendo REFUSE to move with the times!

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/20/no-mario-on-smartphones-says-iwata/

^ its s**t like this that will lend them to folding up, WAY TOO overprotective of there IPR...stuck in the past!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jenjenten wrote: »

^ its s**t like this that will lend them to folding up, WAY TOO overprotective of there IPR...stuck in the past!

Putting mario on a smartphone/tablet will only damge nintendo in the long run. It's a short term solution to a short term problem that would cause massive lasting damage to Nintenod's biggest brand. Cheapening your biggest IP and putting it on a device that doesn't support the that type of game is not a good solution for Nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Nintendo games on a smartphone? Shudder. Thank god it won't be happening any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

shocking a company is protective over their ip sony nor ms would do such a thing with Uncharted and Halo.... oh wait:rolleyes:

A company with unprotected IP is a dead company

Nintendo will be the last man standing of the current 3.

the other 2 a hemorrhaging money and have been for a while now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

^ but according to yer man in that YT video Ninty will only have 4 (Four) new games in the first 6 months of 2014, i mean..........:eek:

That's probably more than Sony and Microsofts internal studios will have on their platforms in the same time and that's discounting Nintendo's 3DS output. They are only one development house afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

That's a misleading article.

Iwata said "we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone."

Probably meaning, games will have to be tailored to suit the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

NTMK wrote: »
    shocking a company is protective over their ip sony nor ms would do such a thing with Uncharted and Halo.... oh wait:rolleyes:

Microsoft is nicely profitable and has been for a long time, even the Xbox division has started to pull it's weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

astrofool wrote: »
    Microsoft is nicely profitable and has been for a long time, even the Xbox division has started to pull it's weight.

Xbox's losses (Not MS as a whole) have been huge but are being hidden by android patents

http://www.destructoid.com/analyst-microsoft-losing-2-billion-on-xbox-annually-265273.phtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

astrofool wrote: »

Not what this says:

http://bgr.com/2013/11/26/xbox-one-profit-estimate/

Says Microsoft isn't going to make money anytime soon off Xbox and should be sold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's probably more than Sony and Microsofts internal studios will have on their platforms in the same time and that's discounting Nintendo's 3DS output. They are only one development house afterall.

But seeing as Nintendo have little to no third-party support, unlike Sony and MS, doesn't that make this more of an issue for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

It's not as easy as just lopping 50% off the cost and taking a further hit - that makes pretty much no commercial sense. It's very possible to dangerously undervalue a product. Just look at the 2DS to see the compromises that have to be made to get a product to market at a significantly reduced price. A huge price cut would probably see a significant increase in Wii Us under TVs, but would also come with massive, massive drawbacks. Nintendo can just about absorb the losses their making at the moment on Wii Us sold, but selling millions more at an even lower price would put a strain on any successful company. Look at the massive financial repercussions their earlier price cut had on their annual books.

It may make sense if there's not enough Wii U owners out there to sell Nintendo's long-tail, high-margin games to.

Weekend Confirmed guys seemed to settle around $150 (or up to $199 with a pack-in game) for the Wii U's fortunes to change. This involves taking out the expensive gamepad to help reach that price. Although it was a unique selling point for the system, nobody's taking advantage of it, and people can live without off-screen play.

So, the premium (32gb) console with Wii Remote (or classic controller) in place of the (removed) tablet gamepad for $150 (or in Euro, €150). I don't know if the cut needs to be that drastic, but if they are going to do a price cut, they better do it before the competition starts cutting the price on its current, and previous gen, hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Not a Nintendo fan, never have been. I had/ have a Gamecube and had some good times (Wind Waker, Resi 4, Paper Mario, Tales of Symphonia). Also had/ have a Wii (not so many good times there).

I find the situation that Nintendo are in to be both interesting and unique. First off I think the suggestion that Nintendo are even considering to go multi-plat is absurd. They have far too much money in the bank for that. However if the Wii U continues along its current path (which is hard to see it not) I wonder for how long Nintendo will continue to support it.

Here you have a machine that for the most part (if not all) will be home to Nintendo games, games which require considerable investment to develop (bar the Wind Waker but I won't go there). So if you are

a) losing money on the machine and
    b) losing money on the games

when do you say enough is enough and move on? 3 years? 4 year

Nintendo took a massive gamble on the Wii and it paid off. To be honest I couldn't believe it at the time. I think it must have been released at just the right time with the marketing targeted at just the right audience. They have now took another gamble on the WiiU and it doesn't seem to resonate with gamers. I really can't see how Nintendo can turn the WiiU around but hey, what do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Nintendo themselves aren't finished but it's looking more and more likely the Wii U is, no amount of Smash Brothers or Zelda is going to fix this sort of perception problem.

They'll need to re-group and fast-track their next major console. Rushing a console out and success don't go hand in hand but Nintendo need the next one to be a success or they will be in serious bother.

Syferus wrote: »
    Nintendo themselves aren't finished but it's looking more and more likely the Wii U is, no amount of Smash Brothers or Zelda is going to fix this sort of perception problem.

They'll need to re-group and fast-track their next major console. Rushing a console out and success don't go hand in hand but Nintendo need the next one to be a success or they will be in serious bother.

Usually I'd say that's a bad idea but the WiiU has been such a flop they might almost be able to sweep it under the carpet. Another new console usually wouldn't inspire confidence (see Sega) but it's funny how few people actually care about the WiiU.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,175 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is that the 32GB Premium version though?....Smyths have Premium + Nintendoland for 250.

Awesome, might pick that up tonight....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

What they need is to being out the Expansion Pak U. That would sort all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Vyse wrote: »
    Not a Nintendo fan, never have been. I had/ have a Gamecube and had some good times (Wind Waker, Resi 4, Paper Mario, Tales of Symphonia). Also had/ have a Wii (not so many good times there).

I find the situation that Nintendo are in to be both interesting and unique. First off I think the suggestion that Nintendo are even considering to go multi-plat is absurd. They have far too much money in the bank for that. However if the Wii U continues along its current path (which is hard to see it not) I wonder for how long Nintendo will continue to support it.

Here you have a machine that for the most part (if not all) will be home to Nintendo games, games which require considerable investment to develop (bar the Wind Waker but I won't go there). So if you are

a) losing money on the machine and
    b) losing money on the games

when do you say enough is enough and move on? 3 years? 4 year

Nintendo took a massive gamble on the Wii and it paid off. To be honest I couldn't believe it at the time. I think it must have been released at just the right time with the marketing targeted at just the right audience. They have now took another gamble on the WiiU and it doesn't seem to resonate with gamers. I really can't see how Nintendo can turn the WiiU around but hey, what do I know.

I'm_outta_here!.gif

THing with the Wii U, is that it is NEVER going to pull the COD/FIFA gamer in. It simply doesn't have the power to play those games at their best, so doesn't have a chance.

It has target markets though.

1. Nintendo fans - the people that love all the Mario games, Zelda games etc.
    2. Kids - power isn't as much of an issue, inventive games more than possible.
    3. Adult groups - from playing Nintendoland, I am convinced it would be a massive hit at little parties, similar to Just Dance or something like that. Instead of playing twister, play the candy chase game, or the chasing game, or the ghost game. Some cracking little gems in that title.

As for suggestions of taking the gamepad out - I think that would be a terrible move. The gamepad and the way you can build party games around it, and the offscreen play, is what the console should be built around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

Vyse wrote: »
    They have now took another gamble on the WiiU and it doesn't seem to resonate with gamers.
    Seems to be doing fine with gamers imo, it seems to be the casual crowd it isn't working for.
    A huge mis-calculation by Iwata, expecting brand recognition alone to sell it for him. I mean, that had to be what he was thinking, right?

I saw a halo game while looking for an RDP client on the play store, unless I'm crazy. I'm sure it's nothing like a proper halo game, but they've done something.

Also, p4 and x1 are their way of making money, easy x86 setups along the same lines power-wise as their last gen claims, they'll be very profitable this gen.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

They're a single publisher, with at least 8 first-party development studios and a good few 2nd party partners. I wouldn't make it sound like it's a small 2 man team making 9001 games a year :p

As to the original article, Iwata was sniffing glue or something, he expected to sell 9 million wii u consoles, over Christmas.
    I don't think that means the Wii U is a failure, I think it means 9 million was an unreachable number with pretty much 1 game to drive sales (Mario).
    Sure they had a few others, all lambasted by the media, sonic lost worlds for example is amazing, yet "awkward controls" and a run button make it a mediocre game to respected review sites.
    The controls are great, the game itself reminded me of sonic 1 and 2 from the megadrive, mixed with galaxy.
    But that changes nothing, every single Wii U game gets the "awkward controls" lark plastered onto it for some reason, like reviewers forgot how to play videogames during last gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

THing with the Wii U, is that it is NEVER going to pull the COD/FIFA gamer in. It simply doesn't have the power to play those games at their best, so doesn't have a chance.

>Implying any console does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Xbox's losses (Not MS as a whole) have been huge but are being hidden by android patents

http://www.destructoid.com/analyst-microsoft-losing-2-billion-on-xbox-annually-265273.phtml
    Not what this says:

http://bgr.com/2013/11/26/xbox-one-profit-estimate/

Says Microsoft isn't going to make money anytime soon off Xbox and should be sold off.

Both utterly stupid articles, consoles always make an initial loss which is picked up by the amount of games they sell. It's far too early to write of either X1 or PS4 as losses at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Usually I'd say that's a bad idea but the WiiU has been such a flop they might almost be able to sweep it under the carpet. Another new console usually wouldn't inspire confidence (see Sega) but it's funny how few people actually care about the WiiU.

They could pull a 'third pillar' hardware reveal, as they did with ds (fastest ever developed console, rushed out in response to psp). All the stuff they said then was that this IS NOT the successor to gba, which of course was easily forgotten when ds eventually took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

The Wii u is my first console of the 'new' gen and I'm loving it. Having a ps3 and vita I've decided that I'll go with PS4 also later in the year. The fact that the vita can be used as remote play for the PS4 is great idea and similar to the wii u in that it suits a lot of guys with wives and familes whose gaming time is reduced. I think Nintendo may have been better to adopt the sony approach and bundle the console with a regular contoller, cut the price a bit and enable remote play through the 2ds/3ds or a new variation of these. I hope it doesn't die and I will be buying most of the first party titles at launch this year and persuading as many people as I can to jump into the wii u ship. All aboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Awesome, might pick that up tonight....

£180(€220ish) on amazon.co.uk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It was a response to an Argos price drop (£180 on UK site, €225 here). Now sold out across the country.

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=912%2F8842

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

They've been dropping for a while now in France. In-store only not online.
    Some examples
    This says €164.49 on sticker (I know, hard to read) - http://i.imgur.com/XYPP6ck.png

€136.95 - http://i.imgur.com/9IDrgmP.jpg
    €180 - http://i.imgur.com/Rro5RSN.jpg
    €134.50 - http://i.imgur.com/YjDpIB6.jpg

And in lots more places.

The 2DS has dropped (albeit temporarily) to €95 in a few places - http://i.imgur.com/jpJe7mL.jpg

Maybe a sign of the prices that we will see here shortly?
    I'd hate to see Nintendo go under. It's unfortunate that nobody really understood/understands what the wii U is.
    Some people think it's an extension to the Wii. A lot more don't even know it exists. Poor marketing didn't help.
    I'm sure they'll be grand, but this will be a serious smack to the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

They should just make an open world pokemon game and use the gamepad as a pokedex and it would solve a lot of problems for them. That would be a system seller

Mr E wrote: »
    It was a response to an Argos price drop (£180 on UK site, €225 here). Now sold out across the country.

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=912%2F8842

Only read about that price drop this morning, were sold out when I checked about 11am. Would have certainly picked one up this evening. Blast and damn.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    They should just make an open world pokemon game and use the gamepad as a pokedex and it would solve a lot of problems for them. That would be a system seller

It actually annoys me they haven't made a console version of Pokemon (beyond Stadium/safari etc). A proper Pokemon RPG effort would have hooked me long ago,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Seems to be doing fine with gamers imo, it seems to be the casual crowd it isn't working for.
    A huge mis-calculation by Iwata, expecting brand recognition alone to sell it for him.
    Spot on and as predicted it's flopped. Nintendo hit a niche with the Wii but long term they either need to s*^t or get off the pot. They need to take on Sony and MS because they won't be able to continue to have a success with one generation and then a flop with another. Also the handheld market will die over the next few years as people use tablet's for gaming rather then DS's or Vita's.

Maybe nintendo should be the first into Cloud gaming.

Advertisement