Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I have a strange feeling that the VC will get a lot better and faster with its releases a few months after MK8 and SSB4 are released. I just think Nintendo want people to get both those games first, €50 or so each, then a few months later start to release the N64(& Gamecube hopefully) games for people to spend that little bit extra.

What ya think?
    I love Nintendo and their games, but I don't know, my instinct says they haven't really put that much thought in to it. You're figuring some kind of design/plan, but I'm not really seeing it. If so, it's just terrible planning.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm just going to say this and some of you are going to be annoyed by it and for that I'm sorry, but Nintendo Evangelists are almost as bad as those Gaelgóirs you meet who insist that their speaking in the Irish language is somehow relevant or something we should all be doing when it's simply not relevant outside of their small niche world.

Nintendo is not relevant to my gaming world.

I have no hate for them at all and I certainly take no pleasure in seeing them hitting this speedbump with the Wii U as I described it, but they show time and time and time again that they're no longer relevant (and that they apparently have no desire to be relevant) to the vast majority of the games playing public who've moved on to other things.

I'm not going to buy a niche device to play a handful of brilliant games (and they are brilliant, I'm not arguing that for a moment), but time + money means that the vast majority of the games playing public now have one device and no time for others. They want to have the same one as their friends so they can play with them. Too many people decided that the price for the Wii and it's new found features were worth a punt only to see it gathering dust for years. Being a Nintendo fan seems to put you in a category all on your own, you're all still serious gamers and all know your stuff and often times will own multiple platforms and all the rest. I respect that a lot. I respect Nintendo a lot.

But you don't seem to understand that for the rest of us Nintendo is a by-word for underpowered, kid focused, recycled IP and however correct or incorrect that may be, until they do something about that public perception, they'll continue to decline and no one wants that.

All that said, if someone offered me the lend of a Wii and some of the afore mentioned awesome games, I'd probably jump at it, but I'm damned if I'm spending any money on it when I have a shopping list of hardware and games that'll keep my wallet bereft of weight for the next 12 months :D

It's a puzzle, make no mistake. I've spent the last couple of months checking out some of the real gems I've missed out on by ignoring Nintendo, but it's just not enough to make me want to spend any money on a company that seems to be asleep at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well in fairness 3D Sonic never worked.

Sonic 06 was a mileston...ah I can't even write that as a joke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The thing about the virtual console and why releases are so slow on it is that Nintendo don't have an emulator on the machine that will run any rom you throw at it.

The thing with emulation is that unless you are using an emulator that emulates the exact timing of chips like BSNES then it's just not very accurate. An emulator like BSNES needs a lot of CPU power to run though. Nintendo cares about how accurate their emulation on their games are so they provide each game with it's own unique emulation wrapper. It means it takes a lot more work to get a game released but it also means you are getting a much better version than would be offered by the likes of PSN's PS1 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Promethean

Radiosonde wrote: »

haha this is why i love boards..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Gone be the days when I only was able to play two games a year on the SNES (birthday and Christmas).

More money than sense we have :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just from talking to my friends and asking co-workers what their kids want for Christmas etc, even if people are aware of the Wii U in their minds its like a peripheral for the original Wii like the Kinect or something, not a lot of people even seem to know its a new console, total marketing disaster.

petes wrote: »
    Gone be the days when I only was able to play two games a year on the SNES (birthday and Christmas).

More money than sense we have :pac:

Indeed kids (well adults) these days etc etc. I have too much stuff to play now, remember the days of making a game last 6 months and knowing it inside out. Trading in was swapping things with mates for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

krudler wrote: »
    Indeed kids (well adults) these days etc etc. I have too much stuff to play now, remember the days of making a game last 6 months and knowing it inside out. Trading in was swapping things with mates for a week.

Mario Kart Ghost level took a fair chunk of my time...trying to shave 100's of seconds off my lap time.

Hope the new one is decent. I actually went in to Gamestop at Christmas to see if they had and PS4's or Xbox Ones in stock, they didn't so got the Wii U. Couldn't be happier, plenty to keep me going but as I said earlier I'd like more third part support which probably won't happen.

Will keep me going for a good while yet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People that say that Mario isn't good or they don't like it are talking out of their arse. I mean it's scientifically proven that Mario is so good that it's healthy for you and your brain :)

http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v19/n2/abs/mp2013120a.html?WT.ec_id=MP-201402

(Nature as well, which is pretty much the best scientific journal you can get published to).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nintendo fanboy - The most scariest creature on the planet! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nintendo fanboy - The most scariest creature on the planet! :pac:

Not as scary as 'power' fanboys. Ghz is their favourite rapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

People that say that Mario isn't good or they don't like it are talking out of their arse. I mean it's scientifically proven that Mario is so good that it's healthy for you and your brain :)

(Nature as well, which is pretty much the best scientific journal you can get published to).

Average playing time was 50 mins per day. I don't think the average gamer minimum comes close to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

but what if mario 64 sucks and sonic adventure is better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If we ever meet one of the evolved pig people from that terrifying alternate universe, we should murder ththem swiftly nd study their carcass for the betterment of human kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

nicolas-cage-laughing.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This close to a permaban for trolling, Richard :pac:

Now whatever about not caring for Mario (and I genuinely believe Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 are two pinnacles of video gaming as a medium), but objectively speaking you could effortlessly prove that the mechanics, controls, aesthetics, level design and more of Mario 64 are in every way superior to Sonic's Sad Misadventure. It's not about 'liking' it - almost every game has its defenders and fans - it's about simple game design and theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No sonic adventure is just awful. Even 16 years? On, it boggles the mind how Sega thought those awful, awful big fishing levels and Amy chase levels were a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

cloud493 wrote: »
    No sonic adventure is just awful. Even 16 years? On, it boggles the mind how Sega thought those awful, awful big fishing levels and Amy chase levels were a good idea.

Sega never got it people did not want to hear the Hedgehog speak or play fishing levels with a character with special needs.:D

Ah i am kidding :L . I say right here and now mario bros 3 and galaxy 1 and 2 are some of my favourite platformers of all time , I quite enjoyed the original mario bros on the nes and am enjoying super mario world on the snes.

Truthfully on mario 64 all i remember was i didnt like the control of it but that could of been due to the stick on the n64 controller cause i remember it being terrible, might need to play it again to see if my mind has changed on it.

I dont like the nsmb series though, i find them very floaty and the level design does not impress me compared to the 16 bit mario games.

I like sonic adventure but not have played the other stories other than sonics.

I am more of a fan of the bit sonic games and the only modern sonic games i truly enjoyed as a whole was colours and generations

• Advertisement

twitchy.gif

As games the Sonic and Mario series don't even compare. Sonic mostly consisted of you pressing right on the dpad and jumping a handful of times throughout the level, the game did most of the work. I still think Super Mario World is the best game ever made, everything about it is perfect, the setting, the aesthetics, the music, the absolute joy it is to play. Galaxy 2 is the 3D equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

krudler wrote: »
    As games the Sonic and Mario series don't even compare. Sonic mostly consisted of you pressing right on the dpad and jumping a handful of times throughout the level, the game did most of the work. I still think Super Mario World is the best game ever made, everything about it is perfect, the setting, the aesthetics, the music, the absolute joy it is to play. Galaxy 2 is the 3D equivalent.

I agree with another post the only two good recent sonic game were Generations and Colours.

The 16 bit sonic games were a great ride.

Mario had depth the two Snes games Super Mario world and Yoshi's Island were pure class.
    The 3D Mario games unlike the Sonic games were very good too.

Sonic and Mario are like apples and oranges they can not be compared.

I still think The Wii and WiiU NSMB games are utterly sublime and some of the best 2D platformers ever, up there with Mario 3 and World. The Handheld games though are quite bland.

I think Sonic Colours and Generations get a bit too much credit just because they are Sonic games that don't totally suck. They're good fun but they still have a slew of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I still think The Wii and WiiU NSMB games are utterly sublime and some of the best 2D platformers ever, up there with Mario 3 and World. The Handheld games though are quite bland.

I have to agree with that sentiment on NSMB Wii. From start to finish that is am amazing game. I've yet to play the WiiU version though as I don't have that console. Yet.

You're a bit harsh on the handheld versions though. I thought the original one on the DS was pretty great because it brought back the 2D Mario game that was missing for far too long. But yes, it isn't a patch on Mario 3 or World.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I think Sonic Colours and Generations get a bit too much credit just because they are Sonic games that don't totally suck. They're good fun but they still have a slew of problems.

I've been playing through the wii u game of late. I'm on world 8 at the moment so I've played most of it. I'm genuinely surprised at how little praise this game gets.
    It's 2D mario in HD. It was never going stray too far from its roots but I think it looks great and plays great.
    I've had a tremendous amount of fun from it thus far.
    Lots of replay value as well with 3 coining and opening all levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭Nollog

I've been playing through the wii u game of late. I'm on world 8 at the moment so I've played most of it. I'm genuinely surprised at how little praise this game gets.
    It's 2D mario in HD. It was never going stray too far from its roots but I think it looks great and plays great.
    I've had a tremendous amount of fun from it thus far.
    Lots of replay value as well with 3 coining and opening all levels.

It gets so little praise because it's "just another 2D Mario" and they hate the "bland" artstyle, like Mario needs to change it's artstyle every year unlike any other game out there.
    I enjoyed it more than 3DWorld.
    The difficulty was in the platforming, not in the *there's 30 collectibles in this level* like 3DWorld.

You're a bit harsh on the handheld versions though. I thought the original one on the DS was pretty great because it brought back the 2D Mario game that was missing for far too long. But yes, it isn't a patch on Mario 3 or World.

I found the level design to be surprisingly poor in that game. It felt like the type of games that try and fail to copy mario. A lot of levels were just there to make up the numbers while in the Wii and WiiU versions each level had it's own theme or gimmick meaning each level was a unique experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I never liked new mario bros on the DS either, it just felt like the physics were off and as a previous poster mention it was a bit 'floaty'.
    Multiplayer on the Wii version is a howl though.

• Advertisement

Advertisement