Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Banjo wrote: »
    Having said that, when a gamer is tired of Mario, he is tired of 1-Up. I mean life.

:-D

Ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

krudler wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense, would you watch a playthrough of a game you want to play yourself? If something is getting near universal praise then chances are it's worth playing. There's always going to be personal preference and things you find overrated and there's definitely a few big name games I'm not pushed about, never played any of the Mass Effect games for example. but I wouldn't write them off without ever having had a go of them.

As it is Mario Galaxy 2 is one of the finest games you'll ever play.

Jaysus, people, WTF you on about?! Did I said I will watch it back to back?! I said I will look in to them, check REVIEWS and GAMEPLAY on Youtube. So I can have at least a basic Idea, why you think these games are fecking good and makes wii worth owning! I dont understand how some people cant understand the very basic concept of this.
    I try it again:

1. NEW GAME COMES OUT ( in this case its old game, but I dont know **** about it and I never heard of it )
    2. I DONT WANT TO BUY IT WITH ZERO KNOWLADGE ON IT.
    3. I GO TO YOUTUBE TO CHECK REVIEWS, GAMEPLAY AND HEAR SOME OPINIONS SO I CAN DECIDE IF ITS GOOD FOR ME OR NO.
    4. I BUY OR IGNORE GAME ON GATHERED INFORMATION.

I dont know how much simplier I can explain this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I understand, but the 3D platformers featuring Mario, the action adventure titles featuring Link and the Metroid titles are entirely different games, not to mention the manifold differences between the games within the individual franchises.
    The Legend of Zelda games are the ones that share the most gameplay DNA to be fair, but even then there is a lot to choose between the various releases.

But this is where the problems for Nintendo crop up.
    When people take the notion that they just don't like Nintendo games.
    That's a nonsensical as suggesting one doesn't like Sony games or MS games.
    The idea that "Nintendo is for kids", it truth isn't borne out in the titles themselves.
    The hate that's now being poured on even the Wii's enviable legacy, the titles available on the system are varied and a great many are excellent, as Retr0's list suggests.

Each to their own I suppose, I happen to enjoy most of what Nintendo have produced, someone elses dislike of the same titles isn't going to change that at all.
    But it's when this kind of emergent opinion, sometimes based on very little fact or even experience of the content being derided, serves to snowball and cripple a systems success and, more importantly, the good times to be had playing the exclusives therein.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jaysus, people, WTF you on about?! Did I said I will watch it back to back?! I said I will look in to them, check REVIEWS and GAMEPLAY on Youtube. So I can have at least a basic Idea, why you think these games are fecking good and makes wii worth owning! I dont understand how some people cant understand the very basic concept of this.
    I try it again:

1. NEW GAME COMES OUT ( in this case its old game, but I dont know **** about it and I never heard of it )
    3. I GO TO YOUTUBE TO CHECK REVIEWS, GAMEPLAY AND HEAR SOME OPINIONS SO I CAN DECIDE IF ITS GOOD FOR ME OR NO.

Calm down lol I wasn't having a go I thought you meant you watched playthroughs of stuff before buying them, watching a video review or trailer is a totally different kettle of fish, I do that myself.

I'm a child of the 80's so to me Nintendo will always be at the forefront of gaming, it's what I grew up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Darksiders is pretty much a Zelda clone, although not nearly as good (still a good game).

Umm...what? For the record I have played a fair few of the modern Zelda games, but I think you're stretching a bit here. Unless you want to say Skyrim is also basically a Zelda clone.
    Darksiders has a skill tree, different setting, upgradable items. The combat is massively different too. While there are some similarities in certain aspects, they are not so similar as to be clone like. It also lacks the kind of puzzles that Zelda would have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I try it again:

Shadowhearth, calm down. There's no need to take that aggressive sort of tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Promethean wrote: »
    Nintendo is so liquid apparently it can afford to make the same operating loss as last year for the next 30 years and still not go bust so I wouldn't be to worried about the company''s fate right now

Iwata should just say this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tzhb3U2cONs#t=119

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

petes wrote: »
    I'm not a Nintendo fanboy by any means. One of my favorite 'franchises' is Unchartered. I will buy a PS4 just for that!

Feck it I'm away to pre order Donkey Kong and maybe buy Resident Evil Revelations (demo was okay) and Pikmin 3!

I also don't get the 'kids' mentality about the Wii U, to be honest I couldn't give a fcuk about Miiverse.

I would like to see more third party games for it.

/edit In fairness bring me back to the SNES :)

Cant wait for U4 myself! I will prob fold and get a PS4 when that comes out, hopefully not for another year so I can get through what I have for my PS3, 3DS, Wii U and Wii.

I don't really like DK on the Wii, the controls were, just , ugh, waggle:rolleyes:,the 3DS version was much better, but I think I am going to get DK in Feb too. RE:Rev was amazing on the 3DS, so good, I ordered it from Gamestop(about 10 days ago, where is it gamestop!) for €20. I totally recommend it for either system!

And yes, the Miiverse, cant stand the thing! Just annoying, never look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

In latest possible bad news, NeoGaf thinks Watch_Dogs on Wii U may have been cancelled (Italian GameStop are cancelling preorders and have told customers as much).

Radiosonde wrote: »
    In latest possible bad news, NeoGaf thinks Watch_Dogs on Wii U may have been cancelled (Italian GameStop are cancelling preorders and have told customers as much).

AWWW... If thats true, I am/was looking forward to playing it on WiiU :(

• Advertisement

Shadowhearth, calm down. There's no need to take that aggressive sort of tone.

It gets frustrating when people don't understand a very simple basic thing and still bringing it up again and again and I don't even know how to put it even in the more simpler form. If that would not have worked I thing I would need to take out sock muppets and do a video, where they explain how you gather info on video Games using internet. :pac:

On topic: I still find it weird how people cannot understand that there are people who do not enjoy the godly trio of Mario,Zelda,Metroid. Knowing how bad wii u doing and implying that it has One of the best Mario game on it, its safe to say that Mario is not even selling consoles anymore.
    To make it even better, Luigi mansion, fire emblem and monster hunter 3 ultimate ( add 4 in Japan too ) were the games that pushed 3ds the most.

I personally did not grew up on Nintendo games. Some of my favourite games on Sega were Dune 2 , Lost vikings, and Rock and roll racing. Then ps1 with stuff like crash bandicoot, Nectaris: military madness, C&C series and FF7 and FF8.
    When I was about 13 I got my first pc ( very old second hand ) and it was my favourite platform since with games like: Fallout 2, Starcraft, Gorky 17/18, Dungeon keeper 2, Civ 2, Jagged Alliance 2, Quake 2, Half life etc.
    I don't have fuzzy nostalgic feelings when I see Nintendo saint trio, so I look at them just as games. Where I can still give Mario a slide and I would play some Mario games, I would not touch another Zelda game with a barge poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Umm...what? For the record I have played a fair few of the modern Zelda games, but I think you're stretching a bit here. Unless you want to say Skyrim is also basically a Zelda clone.
    Darksiders has a skill tree, different setting, upgradable items. The combat is massively different too. While there are some similarities in certain aspects, they are not so similar as to be clone like. It also lacks the kind of puzzles that Zelda would have.

That Darksiders is considered a Zelda clone, is not a shocking new revelation.

Fnz wrote: »

It might be marked as zelda clone, but it does not live in its shadow. It brought enough of its own style and mechanics to be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

As soon as they announced this console it was destined to fail.

NES > "Super"NES > N64 > Gamecube > Wii > Wii U?

Wait what? "Wii U"? So it's the same name as the previous console, but with a U? What's different about U? What does the U mean? What's "super" about U?

They always kept the name fresh, so it always felt like a totally new platform.
    (Although Sony always got away with sticking a number after their consoles, go figure)

Why call it such a dumb name though, almost unchanged, and make it so similar with some lame gimmicks third parties won't be interested in working with?
    Crazy!

Also it's hardware is too similar to X360/PS3 gen technology.

It's a huge pity though, cause first party Nintendo stuff is usually excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I haven't looked through all of this thread but I'm sure there are others in the same boat as me:

I would consider myself a casual gamer. I'll get stuck into a new game when I buy it but after that the machine is only on here and there. My friends always had consoles but the first console I bought for myself was the N64. Then the cube and Wii. I've always loved Nintendo's exclusive IPs. How many hours,days,weeks did I lose to Zelda and Mario? God only knows.

But, to quote the good book: Nintendo cannot live on Mario and Zelda alone.

The Wii almost immediately turned into a device that catered for poor, cheap (and not so cheap) churned-out party shovelware. Of course I got Galaxy and the Zeldas but, once finished with them, I went back to my PS3.

So, when the Wii-U was announced I was stoked. Couldn't wait. Watched the E3 reveal online and my heart fell. Watched the next E3 and it fell further. I want my Mario games, I want my Zelda games. But I don't want to pay out a large amount of money for a console ONLY for Mario and Zelda (Especially when there isn't even a Zelda). I'm not interested in all the shovelware that's already coming out for the Wii-U. I want to play Mario, Zelda, the next Mass Effects, Watchdogs, Destiny, independent games, the next Assassin's Creed, the next Next Gen games.
    The Wii-U simply has not got the oomph to do this. has not got the 3rd party support to do this, has not got the install base to do this. So in the end I went with the PS4. Sure I pay more but, in the long run, I can just see the Wii-U becoming another device full of almost identical party/fitness "games"

It pains me to say it and I keep watching to see if they can turn it around but, unless they drop the Wii-U to 149.99, increase the storage, come out with more than two games that I want, I think my Nintendo days are done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It might be marked as zelda clone, but it does not live in its shadow. It brought enough of its own style and mechanics to be a good game.

By own style do you mean it robbed it's combat from god of war and many other things from other games. Chirst it even had a portal device :) There's not an original bone piece of code in that games source. At least it was fun though so it's hard to dislike it :)

As for not liking nintendo games, it's one thing to say they are crap, that's just plain wrong. However saying they aren't for you is different. There's a lot of games I'm not into but recognise they are good games just not for me. I hope that's the way you feel about those games, although I stil find it hard that someone can't find any enjoyment out of a good Mario game.

I have a strange feeling that the VC will get a lot better and faster with its releases a few months after MK8 and SSB4 are released. I just think Nintendo want people to get both those games first, €50 or so each, then a few months later start to release the N64(& Gamecube hopefully) games for people to spend that little bit extra.

What ya think?

Right now the VC on both systems is gone past the toilet and in the sewer, fomenting. God, even America doesnt have SMB3 yet, whats that all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

AWWW... If thats true, I am/was looking forward to playing it on WiiU :(

I'll be dissapointed at that one too I have to say.

That said I'll still want to play it so will get it for 360 most likely.

Have to say I'm glad they're still porting some of the bigger titles to 360 which reminds me I still need to get my hands on battlefield 4.

By own style do you mean it robbed it's combat from god of war and many other things from other games. Chirst it even had a portal device :) There's not an original bone piece of code in that games source. At least it was fun though so it's hard to dislike it :)

Well its easy to say what mechanics it has and who used them first, but it is the same as saying that zelda has borrowed Heart shaped life meter from other games too.
    Its a completely different topic on game mechanics and how are they used in different games. I really hope we wont see some sort of Patent system in video games mechanics as it would completely ruin games. We already see this bull**** happening in Names etc, *cough* Banner Saga *cough*.

The way I look at it: Game can borrow mechanics, but still have its own indentity and not just use those mechanics to coast on originals success. Darksiders used mechanics from Zelda, but it is still Darksiders. Art work, story and characters were on completely different level of Zelda games.
    In fact, I will need to hunt it down for cheap and give it a go again on PC. I still remember how cool/creepy was
    fighting in a streets vs Angels and Demons, where all Humanity is extinct, its only ashes and destroyed world that left of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I dont understand how some people cant understand the very basic concept of this.

Maybe it's just the way you put it, but it initially seemed, in your own words, that you wanted to "see and understand" what games made the Wii a good console. In that context, I'd expect you to play those games yourself, immerse yourself in them, play them through, & give the task a fair & unbiased chance. If at the end of that you don't like them, absolutely fair is fair.

But then later, you're saying "a basic idea", which is a completely different thing to me. BY all means, if you're after a basic idea of games/gameplay, then Youtube etc is more than adequate. The problem with this though, is you're going to make a sweeping statement about the Wii, based on someone elses perception of a game/s.

Two different tasks, but maybe it's just how you worded it, I also wasn't having a go :)
    I am not being smart arse here, I really want to see and understand which games are those games, that make wii good console )
    So I can have at least a basic Idea, why you think these games are fecking good and makes wii worth owning!

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Maybe it's just the way you put it, but it initially seemed, in your own words, that you wanted to "see and understand" what games made the Wii a good console. In that context, I'd expect you to play those games yourself, immerse yourself in them, play them through, & give the task a fair & unbiased chance. If at the end of that you don't like them, absolutely fair is fair.

But then later, you're saying "a basic idea", which is a completely different thing to me. BY all means, if you're after a basic idea of games/gameplay, then Youtube etc is more than adequate. The problem with this though, is you're going to make a sweeping statement about the Wii, based on someone elses perception of a game/s.

Two different tasks, but maybe it's just how you worded it, I also wasn't having a go :)

I do think it is common sense to see product in action before buying it. We are talking about video games, where it is a matter of taste. we live in a blessed world where you can get video footage of any game/movie on demand. It is a very good indication of product. Its not just a few pictures in magazine and a brief discription. By just looking at some gameplay, you can easily indentify if that would be something you enjoyed.
    Watching reviews, opinions does not mean you fallow blindly them. I watched some videos on games where Reviews were bad, but still bought games and enjoyed them. It all depends from you what information you extract from review/opinion content.

I wanted a list of games and check them if anything would even tickle my fancy and put it to the rest ( for me ) that Wii does not have enough to offer me entertainment for the given price. The reason why I want to have a closer loot at it, because it is old now and those games do not cost as much as they were back in the day. I am still playing with idea of getting Wii U and ability to catch up on GOOD games on wii looks like great idea. Thats implying that Wii was good games for my taste.

Fnz wrote: »

Honestly, I fail to see how you can call Darksiders a Zelda clone. It's just not. For the record though, I don't think much of Darksiders so far as the combat is repetitive.

As for not liking nintendo games, it's one thing to say they are crap, that's just plain wrong. However saying they aren't for you is different. There's a lot of games I'm not into but recognise they are good games just not for me. I hope that's the way you feel about those games, although I stil find it hard that someone can't find any enjoyment out of a good Mario game.

Yeah, I agree Darksiders took a lot of elements from other games. That's true for almost all games. Doesn't make them clones though.

As for Nintendo games in general, I thought the new Metroid and Mario Kart games were good. Zelda TP I thought was poor and Skyward Sword was alright, but a bit unoriginal. Mario didn't transition well into 3D in my opinion, but Paper Mario was good. Basically, I don't think you can judge all Nintendo games as one, they are all different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whatever you do don't pass up on this gem:

Xenoblade as well is proabbly the best RPG since Persona 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Mario didn't transition well into 3D in my opinion.

What, I can't hear you, I'm wearing a towel!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As for Nintendo games in general, I thought the new Metroid and Mario Kart games were good. Zelda TP I thought was poor and Skyward Sword was alright, but a bit unoriginal. Mario didn't transition well into 3D in my opinion, but Paper Mario was good. Basically, I don't think you can judge all Nintendo games as one, they are all different.

Whut? Nintendo knocked it out of the park on their first attempt with Mario 64. I'll happily admit I'm an old school 2D Mario fan all the way but the controls in that game were sublime.

Not sure how anybody cane say that about 3D mario, Mario 64 completely redefined how 3D games control, subsequent third person games are built on the foundations of that game. Galaxy as well as 3D Land and World are just glorious examples of games that work perfectly in a 3D space.

Not sure how anybody cane say that about 3D mario, Mario 64 completely redefined how 3D games control, subsequent third person games are built on the foundations of that game. Galaxy as well as 3D Land and World are just glorious examples of games that work perfectly in a 3D space.

I did say it was my opinion, it just felt, and still feels, wrong for some reason. Same with Sonic 3D or any 3D platformer it that vein.

Well in fairness 3D Sonic never worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I did say it was my opinion, it just felt, and still feels, wrong for some reason. Same with Sonic 3D or any 3D platformer it that vein.

I think Mario 3D land and possibly 3D world (yet to play) came closest to mirroring the differences from 2D to 3D. I still think I prefer 2D mario games though. The level design in those just seems unsurpassed by anything else I've played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The way I look at it: Game can borrow mechanics, but still have its own indentity and not just use those mechanics to coast on originals success. Darksiders used mechanics from Zelda, but it is still Darksiders. Art work, story and characters were on completely different level of Zelda games.
    In fact, I will need to hunt it down for cheap and give it a go again on PC. I still remember how cool/creepy was
    fighting in a streets vs Angels and Demons, where all Humanity is extinct, its only ashes and destroyed world that left of us

I've only played Darksiders II, but it very much felt like "The Legend of Zoul Reaver" - the differences between it (this being my opinion of course) and Zelda are primarily in attitude rather than game play. You relate to the main character differently. Link's story is typically a coming-of-age journey where Death's is essentially a revenge western. Links stories usually play out in a palette that suits the theme - pastels or bold primaries - where Deaths is all grime and shadows. In that sense, Darksiders would appeal more to guys in their teens-to-mid-twenties (sweeping generalisation but that's demography for you), the same guys who'd watch an Eastwood / Arnie / 90s Bruce Willis / Van Damme / Statham movie over, say a Studio Ghibli. I'm not saying you're either.

But both Link and Death wander around an overworld, enter dungeons and leave them with a new toy or ability that let's them get a little bit further, a gaming trope that Zelda has long epitomized.

Advertisement