Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I finally got to visit the Salt House in Galway last night. Place was packed!

Had a pint of Buried At Sea to start. First time having it on draught. Wonderful stuff.
    That was followed by a glass of 200 Fathoms. I like my imperial stouts, but this one still kicked the head off me! Powerful, tasty stuff. The girlfriend wasn't impressed. :pac:
    Finished up with a glass of OFAF. Fantastic as ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

An File wrote: »
    I finally got to visit the Salt House in Galway last night. Place was packed!

Had a pint of Buried At Sea to start. First time having it on draught. Wonderful stuff.
    That was followed by a glass of 200 Fathoms. I like my imperial stouts, but this one still kicked the head off me! Powerful, tasty stuff. The girlfriend wasn't impressed. :pac:
    Finished up with a glass of OFAF. Fantastic as ever.

My local when I lived in Galway (about 250 meters away from the pub) probably my favourite pub in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Beoir DIPA and the Full Irish by 8 degrees were definitely highlights of Easterfest yesterday. It was great to see so many Irish breweries producing some many great beers.

I'm debating whether to go back in later on.

I was going to post the same thing, those 2 beers stood out to me aswell, it was a great lineup this year in fairness,
    I went, 8 degrees full irish,PH chocolate truffle stout, beoir DIPA, kinsale IPA, dungarvan stout, O'Hara's Amber Adventure, a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Is Full Irish going to be on general sale?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

matrim wrote: »
    Is Full Irish going to be on general sale?

They sent a full batch of kegs out, but no bottles.
    Arriving on taps this weekend in…

Cork
    Bierhaus
    Franciscan Well Easterfest

Galway
    Salthouse

Dublin
    57 The Headline
    Against the Grain
    Bull and Castle
    Farringtons Temple Bar
    JW Sweetman
    Porterhouse Temple Bar
    http://www.eightdegrees.ie/the-full-irish/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Centennial IPA on draught in LMulligans.
    I thought it was sweeter that the bootle version. Not complaing though still a good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Was in the Living Room last night. Checked out their website for a menu to see if they had any craft. Nearly shat myself when their website claimed to have the "widest selection of craft beer in Dublin". Downloaded the menu and... 9, they carry 9 craft beers. So there you go, 9 craft beers is the widest selection in Dublin. Still though they had Punk on draft so it wasnt all bad! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

wide
    wʌɪd/
    adjective
    superlative adjective: widest
    1. 1.
      of great or more than average width.
      "a wide road"
      synonyms:broad, extensive, spacious, open, vast, spread out, outspread More"a wide river"

baggy, loose, capacious, roomy, ample, full, generous, generously cut, commodious, voluminous, oversize;
      slack, sloppy, shapeless, sack-like, ill-fitting, ballooning, billowing, floppy
      "wide trousers"

antonyms:narrow, tight

• (after a measurement and in questions) from side to side.
        "it measures 15 cm long by 12 cm wide"

• open to the full extent.
        "his eyes were wide with fear"
        synonyms:fully open, gaping, agape, wide open, yawning More"their mouths were wide with shock"

antonyms:closed

• considerable.
        "tax revenues have undershot Treasury projections by a wide margin"

2. 2.
      including a great variety of people or things.
      "a wide range of opinion"
      synonyms:comprehensive, ample, broad, extensive, large, large-scale, vast, immense, far-ranging, wide-ranging, expansive, sweeping, encyclopedic, exhaustive, general, all-inclusive, all-embracing, universal, catholic, compendious More

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

blueshed wrote: »
    wide
    wʌɪd/
    adjective
    superlative adjective: widest
    1. 1.
      of great or more than average width.
      "a wide road"
      synonyms:broad, extensive, spacious, open, vast, spread out, outspread More"a wide river"

baggy, loose, capacious, roomy, ample, full, generous, generously cut, commodious, voluminous, oversize;
      slack, sloppy, shapeless, sack-like, ill-fitting, ballooning, billowing, floppy
      "wide trousers"

antonyms:narrow, tight

• (after a measurement and in questions) from side to side.
        "it measures 15 cm long by 12 cm wide"

• open to the full extent.
        "his eyes were wide with fear"
        synonyms:fully open, gaping, agape, wide open, yawning More"their mouths were wide with shock"

antonyms:closed

• considerable.
        "tax revenues have undershot Treasury projections by a wide margin"

2. 2.
      including a great variety of people or things.
      "a wide range of opinion"
      synonyms:comprehensive, ample, broad, extensive, large, large-scale, vast, immense, far-ranging, wide-ranging, expansive, sweeping, encyclopedic, exhaustive, general, all-inclusive, all-embracing, universal, catholic, compendious More

You've just defined "wide", the claim was that it had the "widest" selection, as in the "most" wide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You've just defined "wide", the claim was that it had the "widest" selection, as in the "most" wide.

Few, if any, dictionaries give the comparative and superlative forms of adjectives as separate entries though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I had Tangerine Wheat by a Northern California brewery called Lost Coast. Ot smelled like flat Fanta, and didn 't taste much better.
    Thank god it was a large bottle and not a six pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Had a To Ol Reparation Beer on Saturday night and liked it.

Tried the Nogne IPA for the first time as well. I liked it but it didn't really stand out.

I have to say that none of the Rogue beers I tried (Dead Guy Ale, American Amber Ale and the Brutal IPA) really impressed me. Amber was OK. The Brutal was odd - lots of sediment floating and very flat.

Also tried two Hard Knot - Azimuth and Infrared. I would try the Infrared again, not the Azimuth.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've had a Bourbon County stout tucked away in the cupboard for the last 7 months, waiting for "an occasion" worthy of it. This week I got sick of waiting!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/10301459_10152793676419251_8808539166038489620_n.jpg

It's going down slowly, but I'm enjoying every sip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sierra Nevada Sunmerfest, cracking beer. I find it a bit more carbonated than usual, I'm not too into high carbonation but I think it wirks really well with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Kinsale / Beoir was excellent. One of the most complex smelling DIPA's I've had, berries and everthing. Tastewise on par with OFAF albeit with less fruity hops and sweetness, more bitterness. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had Hardknott Rhetoric 3, can safely say I'm not a fan of quad's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Spent the Easter weekend near Zywiec in Poland, so plenty of that was consumed :D among other Polish lagers such as Tyskie.

Nothing awe-inspiring, but very very pleasant drinking nonetheless. And very decently priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Anyone tried the Trouble Brewing Whistle Blower IPA in Brew Dock? Seems that's the only place it's available at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Anyone tried the Trouble Brewing Whistle Blower IPA in Brew Dock? Seems that's the only place it's available at the moment.

I has a sample @ Easterfest.
    Decent IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sabotage has indeed improved a lot. There's some hop or something in there giving it a slightly smokey or musty flavour on the aftertaste which I'm not sure I was liking, but I'll try it again.

• Advertisement

The last of my ale adventures in wales the other day:

Sunday night I popped into The Liverpool in Menai Bridge, a 3 star Cask Marque bar, and had a pint of "Dark Side of the Moose" by Purple Moose Brewery form the cask which was a very enjoyable dark ale indeed. Would gladly drink this again and reckon it would become my go to beer if I was to spend any amount of time in North Wales.

f0t9h.jpg

On Monday while out enjoying the sun on the terrace of the Victoria Hotel (also in Menai Bridge) I had a half a pint ofKite Brewery's "Thunderbird", described as a "hoppy amber ale", this was a decent english pale ale with a little orange hop twang, so I'd suspect a good amount of late addition and dry hopping with american hops was done here, if I was to hazard a guess I'd say challenger for the bittering and Amarillo and cascade for the dry hopping. Probably the "hoppiest" beer I had besides the Bengali Tiger over the course of the weekend.

2iqke9t.jpg

Besides those 4 beers (Bengali Tiger, Welsh Black, Dark Side of the Moose and Thunderbird) North Wales is pretty much devoid of interesting beer in the pubs. Lots of cask ale to be had but everywhere has 3 engines and all of them are usually very similar, boring, English bitters. This is suspect is a problem caused by the fact that most pubs are brewery owned, with Robinsons seeming to have the biggest share of the market in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Grayditch wrote: »
    Sabotage has indeed improved a lot. There's some hop or something in there giving it a slightly smokey or musty flavour on the aftertaste which I'm not sure I was liking, but I'll try it again.

had some at the weekend - was quite nice.

also had two bottles of dungarvan - Mahon Point (rye ale one)
    very nice.

its' a little cheaper than kinnegar - rustbucket which is also nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I also found that about uk pubs, very similar bitters on cask. Seems like a strange tactic

adamski8 wrote: »
    I also found that about uk pubs, very similar bitters on cask. Seems like a strange tactic

It seems like almost every pub has 3 casks which are usually very well looked after, the beer is in great condition, but of the 3 casks they will have 2 bitters and maybe a golden ale or Mild or something similar. Maybe a Dark Ale/Porter if you're lucky.

It's a shame because they really do put a lot of effort into their cellaring!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Seaneh wrote: »
    The last of my ale adventures in wales the other day:

Sunday night I popped into The Liverpool in Menai Bridge, a 3 star Cask Marque bar, and had a pint of "Dark Side of the Moose" by Purple Moose Brewery form the cask which was a very enjoyable dark ale indeed. Would gladly drink this again and reckon it would become my go to beer if I was to spend any amount of time in North Wales..

Spent a week around the Menai strait a few years ago, and I recall all the Purple Moose beers I tried as being good, solid, beers. Enjoyed several pints of 'Dark Side' in Porthmadog.

also had two bottles of dungarvan - Mahon Point (rye ale one)

*Mahon Falls* - not named after a shopping centre in Cork. :)

Of the beers I got to try at Easterfest, Trouble's Brown was a stand-out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Seaneh wrote: »
    It seems like almost every pub has 3 casks which are usually very well looked after, the beer is in great condition, but of the 3 casks they will have 2 bitters and maybe a golden ale or Mild or something similar. Maybe a Dark Ale/Porter if you're lucky.

It's a shame because they really do put a lot of effort into their cellaring!

Yeah exactly what ive found. Nothing wrong with them at all but i guess they are tied to the breweries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

noby wrote: »
    Of the beers I got to try at Easterfest, Trouble's Brown was a stand-out for me.

I guess their new brewer had a input in these, glad to see them expanding the core range.

• Advertisement

Having a pint of Trouble's new Red Rye Ale from the cask in Brewdock. Vewy vew my noice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement