Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I have a bottle of "of foam and fury" and a bottle of "Kentucky IPA" for later.

Had the of foam and fury last week. Savage stuff.

My first go at the Kentucky IPA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

For anyone who missed it elsewhere, 200 Fathoms is still pouring in Alfie Byrne's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Started off with a Brewdog Riptide stout. Not bad.
    Now having a Camden Pale Ale. Wow!
    Great kick from the Amarillo and Cascade hops but that is then replaced with a very smooth malty aftertaste.
    Highly recommended.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Started off with a Brewdog Riptide stout. Not bad.
    Now having a Camden Pale Ale. Wow!
    Great kick from the Amarillo and Cascade hops but that is then replaced with a very smooth malty aftertaste.
    Highly recommended.

Where did you get riptide? Haven't seen it in Ireland in years.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Where did you get riptide? Haven't seen it in Ireland in years.

No idea. My wife got it for me as an Easter present.
    I assume she got it in Kenny's/Corkscrew in Lucan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

In honour of our Polish friends, who celebrate 10 years here since joining the Eu, Tyskie. Nice beer and about €1.70 odd a bottle from aldi. Dobra!

Was in dingle last weekend and had the Creans lager. Very nice I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Evil Dog IPA

No idea. My wife got it for me as an Easter present.
    I assume she got it in Kenny's/Corkscrew in Lucan.

ASK HER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

A Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest (2013). Not for me.

Modus Hoperandi and I think I'll finish up with an Independent IPA.

• Advertisement

jsa112 wrote: »
    Finally got my hands on a can of modus hoperandi, so good. If only it was as cheap as the last time it was here :(

Where?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Where?

They've loads of it in Drinkstore, along with a load of other canned craft beers.

Has anyone else had this? I know it tastes like something I have had before, just can't place it...

They've loads of it in Drinkstore, along with a load of other canned craft beers.

Cheers - see that now. €3.60 a can vs €40 for 24 at Xmas...what a deal that was :):(

Cheers - see that now. €3.60 a can vs €40 for 24 at Xmas...what a deal that was :):(

It's like the episode of Itchy and Scratchy when Scratchy caught Itchy.
    As Krusty said: "they'll never EVER allow us to show that one again"

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys drink OFAF? Seen loads of high praises on here for it so decided to give it a go last weekend. It smelt absolutely lovely, maybe I didn't have it cold enough, but I felt somewhat disappointed with it. :confused:

It's like the episode of Itchy and Scratchy when Scratchy caught Itchy.
    As Krusty said: "they'll never EVER allow us to show that one again"

It was almost cruel. We should never have been allowed to buy beer that good so cheaply.

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys drink OFAF? Seen loads of high praises on here for it so decided to give it a go last weekend. It smelt absolutely lovely, maybe I didn't have it cold enough, but I felt somewhat disappointed with it. :confused:

It doesn't need to be freezing cold. I think it's really nice but it's a different beast altogether when you get it on draught.

It was almost cruel. We should never have been allowed to buy beer that good so cheaply.

Personally I hate them and try to tell them that every time I call in but they then show me some new beers I haven't tried before and I just roll over and go "ah sure give me a few bottles of that" :(

Personally I hate them and try to tell them that every time I call in but they then show me some new beers I haven't tried before and I just roll over and go "ah sure give me a few bottles of that" :(

Just curious, do you take your chances and go ticketless or pay for parking?

Depends on whether I can park right outside the front door or not. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I pay for parking...I'd be sickened if clamping fees ate into my drink budget

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

If memory serves me correctly thats a beer that loses flavour over time as it is a fresh hop ale (if I am wrong someone please correct me) and they arrived in Ireland in August/September. I had a few bottles back then and it was a really good beer. Full of flavour. Pretty sure they wouldnt be the same now unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I was in Belfast last weekend and had lots of drinking opportunities between some sightseeing.

I began with a pint of nitrogenated Whitewater Belfast Black, which really surprised me. It styles itself as a 'Traditional Irish Stout' but I didn't find it overly dry. Lots of roasty flavours and quite a full, chewy mouthfeel, though perhaps this was the nitro.

The hotel was right beside the local Spoons, the Bridgehouse - a magical place; the stuff of dreams. There I sampled a can of Sixpoint Bengali Tiger, which, I must say really reminded me of Modus Hoperandi. Very full on hop profile but with a wonderful smooth maltiness behind it.

My OH was a bit peckish so ordered some cheap food there. I paid the additional £1.50 and bought a can of Sweet Action. Initially I thought of it as a slightly toned-down version of Bengali Tiger, but perhaps my tastebuds were fried. I never would have imagined that it was an example of that curious beer style, the cream ale. Perhaps the name should have been the clue though. Having tried one or two cream ales in the States, I can say I wasn't a fan of the style, but this was quite delicious. The hops balanced the sweetness well.

I had a number of cask ales there too over the weekend, one of which was Wolf Silver Fox, for which I paid the princely sum of £2.40. It uses cascade and challenger hops - ususally a nice sign - but I found it relatively subdued. A nice sessionable bitter, in my eyes.

A trip to Houlihan's restaurant on the barge on the Lagan resulted in a bottle of Farmageddon India Export Porter, which I must say was a fabulous beer at 5.2%. It really reminded me of McGrath's stout, with the same typical stouty notes of coffee and chocolate, and with a similar yeasty tang behind it.

A meal in the Cathedral Quarter came with Hilden's eponymous beer. I found this quite a disappointment. Definitely a malt-forward red ale, albeit without the complex caramel notes I'd have expected. I thought it was overly carbonated and really lacking in backbone.

In the Crown I was delighted to sample a cask milk stout by Tontine. I really enjoyed it. All of the lovely undertones one would expect but with a delicious sweetness behind it. I love milk stouts in particular as I find drier stouts a little sharp occasionally. I felt like a real English northerner as I lapped it down.

On a milk stout binge, on the way back I picked up some Mackeson's milk stout for easy sipping over the coming weeks.

Azza89 wrote: »
    If memory serves me correctly thats a beer that loses flavour over time as it is a fresh hop ale (if I am wrong someone please correct me) and they arrived in Ireland in August/September. I had a few bottles back then and it was a really good beer. Full of flavour. Pretty sure they wouldnt be the same now unfortunately.

That could well be the case. I didn't taste overly 'fresh'. I didn't really pay much attention to it when I picked it up - I just saw a different Sierra Nevada label, checked for the word 'ale' and stuck it in the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Had 3 pints of the full Irish from Eight Degrees in the beerhouse last night. What a beautiful beer and so easy to drink. Is it a seasonal release? Will definitely be seeking it out in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

DarrenG wrote: »
    Had 3 pints of the full Irish from Eight Degrees in the beerhouse last night. What a beautiful beer and so easy to drink. Is it a seasonal release? Will definitely be seeking it out in future.

No. It's a once off as far as I know. But, like Amber Ella, if we make enough noise they might just brew it again. Having said that, I'm still waiting for Ochtoberfest to come back. Maybe we'll see this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I'll join the noisemakers. Had a Dungarvan Mahon Falls last night - it was like a blast from the past...well from a couple of years ago. No carbonation and a "meh" effect usual of the Dungarvan beers or the hoppy efforts of Irish micro brewers from a couple years ago for me.

We've come a long way, had a pint of Full Irish there. Favourite beer at the moment I have to say. The Beoir #1 and OFAF are excellent but the Full Irish beats them as an all rounder. I've loved OFAF most of the times but once I found it a tad cloying with some aspect of the sweetness of it, could not put my finger on it really. Full Irish just has a lovely hoppy bitter finish. And for 5.60 I can get a full pint of it - same price as a bottle of OFAF at its cheapest. What can I say, I like a full pint. If I wanted less I could just get a half, thank you for trusting my drinking sensibility :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

snowblind wrote: »
    I'll join the noisemakers. Had a Dungarvan Mahon Falls last night - it was like a blast from the past...well from a couple of years ago. No carbonation and a "meh" effect usual of the Dungarvan beers or the hoppy efforts of Irish micro brewers from a couple years ago for me.

We've come a long way, had a pint of Full Irish there. Favourite beer at the moment I have to say. The Beoir #1 and OFAF are excellent but the Full Irish beats them as an all rounder. I've loved OFAF most of the times but once I found it a tad cloying with some aspect of the sweetness of it, could not put my finger on it really. Full Irish just has a lovely hoppy bitter finish. And for 5.60 I can get a full pint of it - same price as a bottle of OFAF at its cheapest. What can I say, I like a full pint. If I wanted less I could just get a half, thank you for trusting my drinking sensibility :P

OFAF & Beoir #1 are double IPAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭baron von something

Had a punk ipa and Brooklyn lager in a can.the punk tasted the same as the bottle but with more carbonation.the brooklyn just didn't taste good at all and its one of my favourite beers.

now having a sierra nevada beer camp ipa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Founders Porter on draught at Against The Grain, mmm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement