Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

ciaran76 wrote: »
    5 for €10 Amber Ella
    slayerking wrote: »
    Where is this?...
    ciaran76 wrote: »
    Molloys Clonsilla.
    Molloys Tallaght also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had some Brown Paper Bag beers last night

Big Red - Nice
    Gose - Very lemony and bitter. Not for me
    Pleasant - Was very pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭baron von something

strobe wrote: »
    Had me one of brewdogs current IPA is dead series tonight. Karoma, Karina... something like that... the one with the K. Aww man. Its a top quality beer. All grapefruity and Christmas tree-ee. Just the way I like em. Nom nom.

Looking forward to trying the other three.

Anyone else picked them up? What you think of them?

kohatu.i felt that was the weakest of the bunch.if the exp 366 came out singly i'd buy it but other than that i'll stick to my punk ipa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

matrim wrote: »

Big Red - Nice
    Pleasant - Was very pleasant

Whats the pleasant like? I went to buy one a few weeks ago as my pre drinking for trinity ball until i saw the 9 something price for a bottle. :(
    Went with devils half acre instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Founders All Day IPA. I was really underwhelmed. This is highly rated on beer rating sites. I found it bland and watery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Had the white gypsy IPA last night I loved it it's almost like a small brother of OFAF. I am big fan of the 750ml bottles its great to share and still have plenty for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Founders All Day IPA. I was really underwhelmed. This is highly rated on beer rating sites. I found it bland and watery.

One of the forum favs here too

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

After last years ones I said I wouldn't buy again but on Thursday I picked them Up twice and put them down twice as I was tempted but will wait see if they come out as singles.
    Baggot street offy have them as singles, 5 euros a bottle. Save your money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Ridiculously excited for Easterfest in the Fran Well today. 70 beers on tap over the weekend. The Well themselves, Trouble, Dungarvan & Metalman all seem to have new stuff on, but top of my list to try is Blacks/Beoir DIPA. Looks like it'll be perfect beer graden weather as well for it.

adamski8 wrote: »
    One of the forum favs here too

It's goes down very easy but lacked the hoppy aftertaste I like. I love Dead Pony Club so I think my taste in pale ale differs significantly from the opinion on the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's goes down very easy but lacked the hoppy aftertaste I like. I love Dead Pony Club so I think my taste in pale ale differs significantly from the opinion on the forum.

I like Dead Pony Club, I also like All Day, they are both very good "session" pale ales. Both do the same job, very light bodied, flavoursome pale ales you could easily drink a lot of on a hot day.

Looking forward to trying Black's session ale soon.

Whats the pleasant like? I went to buy one a few weeks ago as my pre drinking for trinity ball until i saw the 9 something price for a bottle. :(
    Went with devils half acre instead :pac:

Where was it 9 something, it's only 3.30 in drinkstore

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Brown-Paper-Bag-Project%2C-Pleasant-Porter-330ML-6805698195501/

It was very nice and probably the best of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Where was it 9 something, it's only 3.30 in drinkstore

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Brown-Paper-Bag-Project,-Pleasant-Porter-330ML-6805698195501/

It was very nice and probably the best of the 3.

scanned in at that in the celtic whisky shop...
    Couldn't get over it, as the other beers i got were reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That beer isn't bitter at all - it's sour.
    Why do so many Irish people mix up bitter and sour?

Lemon juice is sour. Strong black tea is bitter.

I love, love, love that beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Ridiculously excited for Easterfest in the Fran Well today. 70 beers on tap over the weekend. The Well themselves, Trouble, Dungarvan & Metalman all seem to have new stuff on, but top of my list to try is Blacks/Beoir DIPA. Looks like it'll be perfect beer graden weather as well for it.
    I'm heading in tomorrow, looks like a good list this year, I think it's all irish apart from Sharps?, was it Easter beer fest last year that had a heap of obscure Belgian beer?, most of them were horrible so I ended up on Rebel Red!

That beer isn't bitter at all - it's sour.
    Why do so many Irish people mix up bitter and sour?

Lemon juice is sour. Strong black tea is bitter.

I love, love, love that beer.

Correct, its sour not bitter. When I was writing it i knew it wasn't right but was drawing a blank for the correct way to describe it

Correct, its sour not bitter. When I was writing it i knew it wasn't right but was drawing a blank for the correct way to describe it

You're not alone. I've noticed much confusion between bitter and sour amongst people. I think it's an Irish thing (or maybe it's more widespread - I dunno)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Went down to McHugh's as I always do when I'm visiting the folks.

Picked up an Einstok White Ale which my brother raves about. I never got the love for the Toasted Porter, even though Porter is my favourite style of beer, I felt it lacking, and a bit home brew-ish. Just poured the White Ale here now.

A BPBP Pleasant Porter, a Porterhouse Devil's half acre and 4 Kinnegar (2 Rustbucket, 2 Devil's backbone) for later, after a visit to Harry Byrne's to see what crafty beers they have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Picked up a heap of new stuff in O'Brien's in Naas as well as some old reliables.

At the moment I am having a Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Not really a fan overall - is it meant to be very flat?

Had a tour of Black's Brewery in Kinsale this morning. Some lucky sod was picking up slabs of Beoir #1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Picked up a heap of new stuff in O'Brien's in Naas as well as some old reliables.

At the moment I am having a Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Not really a fan overall - is it meant to be very flat?

Had a tour of Black's Brewery in Kinsale this morning. Some lucky sod was picking up slabs of Beoir #1

Thought Dead Guy Ale was very mediocre. Then again I always think that Rogue beers are quite overrated.

• Advertisement

Lots of interesting beers as the Easter festival but 8 Degree's Full Irish stood out for me. Yum.
    I wonder if they'll bottle it.

Just poured a Aventinus Eisbock and there is a load of sedimentation at the bottom. Is this normal? Also when I opened it the head came foaming out the top whilst the bottle was upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

IPA is dead 2014. Yet again, I kinda regret buying it. It's been years since it was good. I've had 3 of the 4 (all except the exp 366) and they are all very similar - rather sweet and a little hoppy but not enough to identify the hops individuality.
    Let down, screw it.. I'm hitting Mikkellers 1000 IBU next.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just poured a Aventinus Eisbock and there is a load of sedimentation at the bottom. Is this normal? Also when I opened it the head came foaming out the top whilst the bottle was upright.

Yep, all normal. Lovely beer though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Climbed Snowdon today, took the Llanberis Path, about 5 hours up and back from the village at a fairly easy pace including stopping about 3/4 of the way up for lunch and having a cup of tea and a scone in the cafe at the top. Beautiful views.

1797456_10152316337736294_1208841438872749877_n.jpg

At the bottom of the path, just before you get back to the village there's a lovely little Tea Rooms with a nice wooden terrace who sell a few beers, myself and my friend split a bottle of Great Orme Brewery's Welsh Black, described as "Dark Ale" on the bottle, seemed more like a porter to me, but then again what is a porter but a dark ale anyway?
    Nice and light bodied but very dark and had some lovely roasty and cocoa flavours to it. Only 4% and I think it would be a great session beer.
    1668_10152316732731294_6509384422705902716_n.jpg?oh=b681eed9d1ca54036e9ba3272b87cbf6&oe=53D16D61

Mahon Falls is super this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Mahon Falls is super this year.

Yeah can't get enough of it, always pick up a few when I'm in the offo. Kind of get a kind of smokeyness off it, anyone else? Is it just seasonal or is it an established part of their range now?

Had my second Of Foam and Fury ever tonight. Really enjoying it, although it's a bit sweeter than I remember from the first time I had it. Dunno if I'm willing to shell out 6.95 for it that often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Started with a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.
    Then on to a Founders All Day.
    Now sipping on a Of Foam and Fury.
    It can only go downhill after the latest beer.

Yeah can't get enough of it, always pick up a few when I'm in the offo. Kind of get a kind of smokeyness off it, anyone else? Is it just seasonal or is it an established part of their range now?

It was a special at the Beer fest a couple of years ago where it was one if the most popular beers, unfortunately I didn't get to try it then, was gone by the time I got there. They then released it in bottles last year (I think), but I didn't think much of it. But this year! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It was a special at the Beer fest a couple of years ago where it was one if the most popular beers, unfortunately I didn't get to try it then, was gone by the time I got there. They then released it in bottles last year (I think), but I didn't think much of it. But this year! :)

Didn't see it around last year at all, only got to try it a month or two ago. Been hooked on it since (in a non-dependency way of course! :pac: ). Hope they keep it going permanently, really is the pick of their beers so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement