Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Didn't see it around last year at all, only got to try it a month or two ago. Been hooked on it since (in a non-dependency way of course! :pac: ). Hope they keep it going permanently, really is the pick of their beers so far.

Also meant to say that I think it's just a seasonal, but a regular one it seems, just like their Coffee & Oatmeal Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

My list tonight
    red hook long hammer ipa
    sierra Nevada flipside red ipa
    thornbridge jaipur
    founders all day ipa

the only one i really liked is founders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Also meant to say that I think it's just a seasonal, but a regular one it seems, just like their Coffee & Oatmeal Stout.

That's a shame must stock up while it lasts, spring is officially over in 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My list tonight
    red hook long hammer ipa
    thornbridge jaipur
    founders all day ipa

Not sure I've had the Long Hammer but I really like the other 3. You seem to have very particular taste. I struggle to work out why you'd like the founder's but not the other two but that's what makes beer and subjective taste interesting. (I've been trying to figure out what exactly my wife likes and doesn't like in a beer for years)

Enjoying ab Amber Ella now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My list tonight
    red hook long hammer ipa
    thornbridge jaipur
    founders all day ipa

Not sure I've had the Long Hammer but I really like the other 3. You seem to have very particular taste. I struggle to work out why you'd like the founder's but not the other two but that's what makes beer and subjective taste interesting. (I've been trying to figure out what exactly my wife likes and doesn't like in a beer for years)

Enjoying an Amber Ella now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So, I was down in Harry Byrne's in Clontarf last night.

To my surprise I saw three taps labelled as such;

Parish Porter
    Battle Ale
    Brian Brew

It's the one thousandth anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf you see, lots of stuff going on around the place, including a kick ass re-enactment in St Anne's Park at 1 and 4 today if you are looking for something to do.

I asked the barman what they were, and he told me they are house beers, brewed for the pub, and not rebadged other drinks. I actually asked three times, and he was adamant they were exclusive brews.

Told me the

Porter is by Galway Hooker
    Ale is by Bo Bristle
    Brian Brew is by Kinnegar

Was there with two lads, one drinking Guinness the other Becks V, and when they were buying rounds the bar staff who weren't the guy I spoke to originally didn't have any idea what they were being asked for, which I found strange if they are house beers, in fairness.

They are nitro stout, red ale and a blonde.

The stout is grand, with some lovely roasty flavours. The Blonde is horrible, some awful flowery hops and a weak as dishwater finish. The red ale is nice though, some decent hop bitterness in the finish, if not a little weak bodied, but some nice caramelly tones about it too.

All in all, its lovely to see three brews being called "house beers" in a pub in the suburbs, even if all of them are not to my tastes, but two out of three ain't bad, as Meatloaf told us. Blondes were never my favourite style, but my lager drinking buddy didn't like it either. My stout drinking friend didn't swap from Guinness, but he's not averse to drinking craft beers, and he's enjoyed nights in GBB bars before, so he could be persuaded, and I stayed on the red all night.

No idea of pricing, so apologies for that.

I'm wondering has the barman, and by extension me, been hoodwinked though.

ARE they exclusive house beers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

So, I was down in Harry Byrne's in Clontarf last night.

To my surprise I saw three taps labelled as such;

Parish Porter
    Battle Ale
    Brian Brew

It's the one thousandth anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf you see, lots of stuff going on around the place, including a kick ass re-enactment in St Anne's Park at 1 and 4 today if you are looking for something to do.

I asked the barman what they were, and he told me they are house beers, brewed for the pub, and not rebadged other drinks. I actually asked three times, and he was adamant they were exclusive brews.

Told me the

Porter is by Galway Hooker
    Ale is by Bo Bristle
    Brian Brew is by Kinnegar

Was there with two lads, one drinking Guinness the other Becks V, and when they were buying rounds the bar staff who weren't the guy I spoke to originally didn't have any idea what they were being asked for, which I found strange if they are house beers, in fairness.

They are nitro stout, red ale and a blonde.

The stout is grand, with some lovely roasty flavours. The Blonde is horrible, some awful flowery hops and a weak as dishwater finish. The red ale is nice though, some decent hop bitterness in the finish, if not a little weak bodied, but some nice caramelly tones about it too.

All in all, its lovely to see three brews being called "house beers" in a pub in the suburbs, even if all of them are not to my tastes, but two out of three ain't bad, as Meatloaf told us. Blondes were never my favourite style, but my lager drinking buddy didn't like it either. My stout drinking friend didn't swap from Guinness, but he's not averse to drinking craft beers, and he's enjoyed nights in GBB bars before, so he could be persuaded, and I stayed on the red all night.

No idea of pricing, so apologies for that.

I'm wondering has the barman, and by extension me, been hoodwinked though.

ARE they exclusive house beers?

I'd imagine the porter is the same porter/stout that hooker also sell under 3 different names in Tigh Neachtains, Massimo and Bierhaus in Galway, the ale is probably Bo Bristles amber at a guess and I very much doubt Kinnegar are doing an exclusive brew for anyone either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Was in Brewery corner last night. Busy without being "mad" busy

Only had 2 pints, one Metalman & one Leann Follain. Got a tasting mat for the people I was with as while they'd be up for trying beer they don't drink much. Leann Follain was universally loved & two ordered the DIPA after tasting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Had a couple of these last night, fantastic stuff.
    BA50B22AAEE84D2AB7012B58A2C0586E-0000355606-0003546150-00800L-499BD173D1214A65B55AB2F00FD36214.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Had nogne 500 and two captains last night in a pub in wexford for 9e each which was great value i think as they usually sell for 8e+ in offies.

They were both great but probably not a wise choice for the night.

Pleasent porter was 6e there and i had a few. Very nice smooth stout, at 6.6% it went down easy. Great balance of all the things i like in a stout.

BD nanny state- interesting 0.5% beer, hoppyness was great but you really miss the malt and alcohol.

widmer nelson ipa, excellent also, one of the nicest ipas out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

Was going to pick up some goose island bourbon county but felt the 9.50 price tag was a bit steep.do you guys pay that much for it.there's only one off-licence in my area that sells craft beers so i guess he can charge what he wants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Was going to pick up some goose island bourbon county but felt the 9.50 price tag was a bit steep.do you guys pay that much for it.there's only one off-licence in my area that sells craft beers so i guess he can charge what he wants

Yes. It's worth it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My local offie got in a few of the Rogue range so picked up The Juniper Pale Ale.

Also picked up Of Foam and Fury, first time I've seen bottles of it. Very pricy at €5.95 but a nice treat. Still think they'd be better doing it at 330 ml for cheaper.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It's considered one of the best beers in the world, how much would you pay for one of the best wines in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

9.95 is 4c less than I happily paid on more than one occasion. Is it just a beer or an experience? Toeing the line with hipster talk here, but it's a beautiful drink :)

Started the day with a can of Murphy's for the football (tradition). Followed by a Founders Breakfast Stout, fantastic as always. Then a To Ol Raid Beer. Still such a beautiful hop mixture. And on the OFAF for the remainder of the football.

Also just remembered I'm in work later, so that'll be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Beoir DIPA and the Full Irish by 8 degrees were definitely highlights of Easterfest yesterday. It was great to see so many Irish breweries producing some many great beers.

I'm debating whether to go back in later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

adamski8 wrote: »
    Had nogne 500 and two captains last night in a pub in wexford for 9e each which was great value i think as they usually sell for 8e+ in offies.

They were both great but probably not a wise choice for the night.

Pleasent porter was 6e there and i had a few. Very nice smooth stout, at 6.6% it went down easy. Great balance of all the things i like in a stout.

BD nanny state- interesting 0.5% beer, hoppyness was great but you really miss the malt and alcohol.

widmer nelson ipa, excellent also, one of the nicest ipas out there

Which pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I had Of Foam and Fury last weekend. Fantastic strong (8.5%) IPA. So hoppy but bright and fruity at the same time. Expensive but seriously worth it. Got me thinkin about what it reminded me of. The only beer i can compare it with is the slightly less potent but equally brilliant Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Bought 4 cans of this earlier in my local offi. Lookin forward to one or two of them later.

Which pub?

Upstairs bar in the sky and the ground. They only sell bottles up there but have a few irish craft on tap downstairs

Just opened a bottle of Brewdog's Jack Hammer. Finding it a little sharp for my taste.

• Advertisement

snollup wrote: »
    Just opened a bottle of Brewdog's Jack Hammer. Finding it a little sharp for my taste.

Continuing on from yesterday's theme, you're finding it a little 'bitter' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Was in Brewery corner last night. Busy without being "mad" busy

Only had 2 pints, one Metalman & one Leann Follain. Got a tasting mat for the people I was with as while they'd be up for trying beer they don't drink much. Leann Follain was universally loved & two ordered the DIPA after tasting it

Was in there too last night. Nicely busy I would say, bit of atmosphere but still somewhere to sit.

Just drank O' Haras Single IPA for the evening, wasn't feeling particularly adventurous. I do like it though I have to say, more on draught than in the bottles I think. Not excessively hopped or bitter - a good, solid pale ale.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Continuing on from yesterday's theme, you're finding it a little 'bitter' ;)

Just a tad but I can't accuse BD of false advertising!

A bottle of beoir #1 (not on gen sale). Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

sierra-nevada-porter-beer-online-1304470753.jpg

Sierra Nevada Porter. Very tasty and has a subtle hint of chocolate and coffee. Might be my second favourite porter after Leann Folain.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had brooklyn's wild streak, bourbon barrel aged ale with brett yeast. The bourbon aging is working very well, but not getting those brett flavours from it. Quite good, but not worth 21 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a couple of O'Hara Double IPA tonight which I got in my local spar. It's nice to see choices getting into even the small shops.

For the beer I think it's improved from when I first had it. Still not a full on DIPA but I enjoyed it today

Had a draught Two Hundred Fathoms on Thursday and a bottle last night. Think I preferred it from the bottle. It may have been because I'd a bit of a cold on Thursday but I thought the bottle was more complex and showed off the sweetness from the aging more.

jsa112 wrote: »
    Had brooklyn's wild streak, bourbon barrel aged ale with brett yeast. The bourbon aging is working very well, but not getting those brett flavours from it. Quite good, but not worth 21 euros

Is that the actual price? I thought it was a typo on the Drinkstore website as it was much dearer than the other Brooklyn special series.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Its 23/24 euros in drinkstore/baggot street/redmonds, donnybrook fair tend to be the best cost wise(saved a few euros), but yeah thats in or around the actual price. Some of the limited edition brooklyn beers tend to be around that cost(black ops is too).

Paying for that barrel aging and brett unfortunately. I just cant resist brett yeast beers :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Had epic comet and hop zombie tonight. The hop zombie was delicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement