Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

An imperial IPA then!

Or TNP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a bottle of Eight Degrees Simcoe Rye Ale. Cracking beer. One of the nicest Rye Beers I've had.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had a bottle of Eight Degrees Simcoe Rye Ale. Cracking beer. One of the nicest Rye Beers I've had.

Yeah it's very good. No Rye in o'neills so I'm moving from porters to amber.

Barrelhead Indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Down in the Black Sheep supping some buried at sea to nourish myself for the nights lack of good beer in the Academy

They had bottles of Serria Nevada when I was there a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Arghh! Just opened a bottle of beer there and the top of it just snapped off leaving the cap still attached to the broken piece of glass. :(

Must've been cracked for a while though because the beer was as flat as a glass of warmed glass of red lemonade. It was a good one too, Dieu du Ciel! Blanche Du Paradis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Arghh! Just opened a bottle of beer there and the top of it just snapped off leaving the cap still attached to the broken piece of glass. :(

Must've been cracked for a while though because the beer was as flat as a glass of warmed glass of red lemonade. It was a good one too, Dieu du Ciel! Blanche Du Paradis.

My mikkeler I beat you is a month out of date, only bought it last week as well! :(

White Gypsy Emerald. I like the idea but the execution is a bit lacking

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Kinnegar's long tongue, a pumpkin and ginger rye is rather strange. Has a smelly sock sort of aroma, and a weird taste. I think its time to stop using pumpkins in beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

In the fridge at the moment is Founders Dark Penance, 5 Lamps Liberty Ale, Smiggy Amber Ale and Dungarvan Minehead.

• Advertisement

Also had

White Hag Octoberfest - Decent but not a style I usually go for
    White Hag Bran & Sceolan - Very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Bottles of Porterhouse Hophead but it seems a dodgy batch. Got 4 bottles and all seem to have hardly any carbonation.

Feels very watery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Last night, courtesy of my first trip to the Blackrock Cellar

Odells Loose Leaf Session - ok, prefer Founders All Day or indeed Blacks Kinsale Session
    White Hag IPA - nice, much better than many other new arrivals.
    Mountain Man Crazy Horse - nice, reminded me of Trouble Brewing Whistle Blower
    8 Degrees Double Irish - awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Last night, courtesy of my first trip to the Blackrock Cellar

Odells Loose Leaf Session - ok, prefer Founders All Day or indeed Blacks Kinsale Session
    White Hag IPA - nice, much better than many other new arrivals.
    Mountain Man Crazy Horse - nice, reminded me of Trouble Brewing Whistle Blower
    8 Degrees Double Irish - awesome.

I was in there for the first time a few weeks ago. I was stunned by their selection. Really nice shop and the staff there are very knowledgeable.

Heroditas wrote:
    I was in there for the first time a few weeks ago. I was stunned by their selection. Really nice shop and the staff there are very knowledgeable.

I have been meaning to go there for ages. When they posted on Twitter that they had the Double Irish I cracked. The selection is stunning. They must have every Irish beer that is bottled. International selection not bad at all either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Founders Dark Penance on tap in ATG for lunch, superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

That 4 for €9 offer in Dunnes on Kinsale IPA and BIPA is a great deal. The BIPA especially is a fantastic beer. The IPA is good but not great, bit watery and could do with more hops imo.

Got 2 of each last night but I think I'll just get 4 BIPA tonight, it's a far superior beer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I tried the Brooklyn/Williams Brothers collaboration, A Wee Bit last night. It's a peat-smoked Scotch ale. It tasted like its colour - murky brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Tried the Aldi xmas offerings, the Wychwood one 'Bah Humbug! is good but not great, kind of just tastes like a Fullers Spitfire that someone dumped some cinnamon and cloves into! The Rosey Nosey is better, similar roasted malt/bitter end-taste as a Hobgoblin but with added spice and warmth, never heard of Batemans before but apparently they do know how to make decent ale.

Also had a 13% Brasserie Grain d' Orge 'Belzebuth', at first I thought it was pretty mank and similar taste to that rotten Bavaria 8.6 stuff...grew on me *a bit* still pretty rank imo though.

Does anyone perchance know anywhere in Cork (or Galway even) that sells (or will soon sell) the new 8 degrees brews? That Double Irish sounds delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does anyone perchance know anywhere in Cork (or Galway even) that sells (or will soon sell) the new 8 degrees brews? That Double Irish sounds delicious!

I just tried the Imperial Russian stout and the Full Irish in Bierhaus, Cork (draught).
    Both world class fantastic beers. I mean really really good.
    I really didn't like last year's Russian Imperial in bottle but this one on draught is beautiful.

The Full Irish is everything I hoped it would be. Fantastic. I'd never guess the alcohol content ofeeither of these beers.
    Both these 9% beers are selling @€;3.10 a half pint. Amazing value.

I'd imagine Bradley's, North Main Street have the bottles.

At this stage, I don't think there's a brewery in Ireland that can touch 8® on quality, consistency and diversity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Ah thanks the beer revolu, you are right, just looked on Bradley's website, they do have them in there alright, weird I didn't see them when I popped in today. I always get too too distracted by their fantastic selection of US beers, not sure how I had gone this long without trying any of Founder's beers, had a Centennial IPA this evening and it was superb, just the right balance, not too fruity or sweet, not too bitter, not too strong not too weak, those guys tread that balance just right it seems.

I would argue that our local Franciscan Well is up there with 8 degrees in quality and consistency but only considering their own pours and the delicious casks they do most nights, not their bottled stuff no no, but yeah 8 degrees are miles ahead in terms of understanding brew and experimenting enough to have a wide and extremely tasty range! Seems like they have taken a good few pages from BrewDog's playbook in that regard.

Last night - A Brown Paper Bag Project 'Big Red' which I really liked. A BrewDog Hoppy Xmas which was nice, but I couldn't distinguish what made it seasonal. A Sierra Nevada Hoptimum which I liked - doesn't feel like you are drinking a 10.4% beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Porterhouse have it on tap, too. Very tasty, but I'd get a half pint next time.

At this stage, I don't think there's a brewery in Ireland that can touch 8® on quality, consistency and diversity.

Agreed, the Full Irish and now the Double Irish are the best Irish brewed beers I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

The missus got me a bottle of the Double Irish for when I came in from the fights last night.

Bloody marvellous stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

That 4 for €9 offer in Dunnes on Kinsale IPA and BIPA is a great deal. The BIPA especially is a fantastic beer. The IPA is good but not great, bit watery and could do with more hops imo.

Got 2 of each last night but I think I'll just get 4 BIPA tonight, it's a far superior beer.

I'm the complete opposite.

They're both good beers but my favourite is the pale ale. I think it has a lovely smooth taste and is perfectly hopped. I prefer it to O'Hara's pale ale.

In contrast I find the black IPA a little bit too strongly flavoured. I would only drink 1 or 2 of these whereas the pale ale is a great session beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Had the Eight Degrees Imperial Stout in Alfie Byrne's at 4euro for the glass.
    Is that how much it is everywhere? 5.75 for same measure of OFAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

symbolic wrote: »
    Had the Eight Degrees Imperial Stout in Alfie Byrne's at 4euro for the glass.
    Is that how much it is everywhere? 5.75 for same measure of OFAF.

They're only €3.10 a half pint in Bierhaus, Cork.
    Seriously good value.

Had some Founder Backwoods Bastard and thought it was superb. Will definitely be getting some more.

Also tried the Shanco Dubh Porter which I liked.

• Advertisement

BMJD wrote: »
    I had a Jack Cody's Smiggy Amber Ale last night, was very nice indeed.

Same. Thought it was decent as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement