Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bladebrew wrote: »
    The Franciscan Well Jameson Stout has reappeared! I asked about it a few weeks ago and it was sold out, Its in a 1 litre bottle in a case an all this year, I'm sure it was 750ml last year can anyone remember was it smaller last year!?

Nope, it was 1 litre last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

yes, agreed. Their Hipster Ale is rubbish too.

It's not that bad from what I remember... Must try again. Maybe the name is annoying you to the point of finding it rubbish ☺blind tasting! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

BMJD wrote: »
    Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout - much stronger coffee aroma and taste this year than what i remember from previous years, tastes great.

My thoughts on Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout:

1. Coffee was waaaay too overpowering from a flavour standpoint.
    2. Speaking of flavour it was a very bitter coffee flavour which if it was a normal coffee/espresso would indicate signs of being overextracted.
    3. The stout itself had no body to it. Very watery.

Overall I was very disappointed with it as an avid coffee and stout fan alike.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though so if its your thing its your thing. Thats just my 2 cents on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

symbolic wrote: »
    It's not that bad from what I remember... Must try again. Maybe the name is annoying you to the point of finding it rubbish ☺blind tasting! Ha

I quite like Hipster Ale tbh, despite the wanky name.

Look what they put on the bottle of Low Life:

A clever woman once said; ’fair is foul and foul is fair’. On that note we threw in a young, unacknowledged hoppy pilsner, gave it a limp, wrinkly flavor and finished it off with an insulting high price that will give you a foul feeling in your mouth. That’s why we name Evil Twin Brewing’s Low Life the Golddigger of Beers.

What a bunch of spastics

The Kinnegar range is back in the Molloys in Finglas.

The Molloys in Clonsilla seem to be having trouble getting a hold of it unless they have done in the past couple of days.

3 x 500ml bottles for a tenner.

I bought 8 bottles of the rye ale and 4 bottles of the pumpkin rye ale out of curiosity.

The normal rye ale (orange label) is just fantastic stuff. So much flavour. Proper Irish craft beer.

Seemingly its a tiny set up in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Had a bottle of the Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal the other night and I'm in the unimpressed camp, despite being a fan of coffee, oatmeal and stout. My bottle did have a distinctive coffee flavour but the body of the stout was quite watery and it had virtually no head/carbonation. After a few sips there wasn't even a trace of a head on it. And it was poured correctly, into a clean glass, in case anyone asks.

I thought it was excellent the first year it came out but the subsequent batches haven't been particularly good, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Seemingly its a tiny set up in Donegal.

Tis. And they don't even know how much they bottle or where it's available! Not terribly hard to find in my experience but I would say steady supply is an issue. I was told Tesco Letterkenny wanted to stock their beers but did not as they couldn't guarantee supply. The brewer himself is American. They have a tap room I hope to visit next summer. Hopefully they bring out the Maddyroe for Valentines Day again. Lovely stuff. I like the Otway too, delighted it is now a regular.

Ravelleman wrote:
    I had Blacks' The Session last night. I wanted something relatively easy-going ABV-wise for a Wednesday night and found it very enjoyable. It's very much as full-flavoured as some stronger beers like O'Hara's.

I think it's great - plenty of flavour anyway.

OK, not quite as epic as the two euro Modus Hoperandi from this time last year, but Drinkstore have a consignment of short dated Trouble Brewing special brews. Best before end December 2014, two euro a bottle. They have Agent Provocateur, Lazy Sunday Saison and Whistle Blower as far as I could see. Picked up 12 Whistle Blower myself. Lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've found a place for "Irish Red".

Beside Smithwicks. At least it's craft.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kinnegar special: Black Bucket

Black rye IPA, 6.5 % abv. Bottle, 500 ml.

Gorgeous, as expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Left hand's brewing oak aged barley wine was disappointing. Anybody heard if porterhouse are going to brew devil's half acre again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I had a coffee and oatmeal last week, I thought it was a bit watery as some other posters have said, I nearly didn't want to say watery as I'm not sure how could they make it different?! it's not the same as I remember last year, it's €3.50 in O'briens so it's pricey enough.

bladebrew wrote: »
    I had a coffee and oatmeal last week, I thought it was a bit watery as some other posters have said, I nearly didn't want to say watery as I'm not sure how could they make it different?! it's not the same as I remember last year, it's €3.50 in O'briens so it's pricey enough.

Not coffee and oatmeal stout but Galway Bay stormy port is what lower alcohol content stout should shoot towards, loads or flavour. Thick and chewy,

Fyne Ales Sanda Black IPA - very drinkable
    Thornbridge AM:PM Session IPA - very fruity
    Weird Beard Mariana Trench IPA - unremarkable
    Weird Beard Holy Hoppin Hell DIPA - not digging the way the taste develops
    Thornbridge Halcyon Imperial IPA - I don't think it's their finest work but the best of tonight's lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just trying Goodbye Blue Monday in the Black Sheep. Very nice . I also spy dark penance.. Today will be a good day

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Twisted Hop on cask last night, tasting fantastic, much better than the bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Just trying Goodbye Blue Monday in the Black Sheep. Very nice . I also spy dark penance.. Today will be a good day
    Dark Penance is sublime IMHO

Hit up a pub called The Reg in Waterford. Five or six craft taps that they say have frozen. Wtf?

Hopefully make it to Phil Grimes later. had a pint in Revolution yesterday. They've also got five or six craft taps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Dark Penance is sublime IMHO

It is going to be my final drink here. I have high hopes

• Advertisement

Dungarvan Minehead is a decent IPA. Kind of spicy or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hit up a pub called The Reg in Waterford. Five or six craft taps that they say have frozen. Wtf?

Must be a faulty chiller.

A rare occurrence for me but I was out in town last night for a few pints. Celebrating the handing in of a college project.
    Didn't get to choose the pub so it was a dodgy pint of Galway Hooker for the first pint and then onto the black stuff. Finished off the night in Sweetmans and had a couple of pints of their Pale Ale which was really nice.

Was in Lidl earlier and noticed they had a new McGarlges, Cousin Lucy(?)'s Pale Ale. Anybody try it yet? Is it up to their usual high standards?

I had the pumpkin and ginger rye ale from Kinnegar last night. Definitely tasty and nice for something different but I wouldn't be rushing out to tell them to make it part of their core range. Slightly too much ginger for my liking.

Having the regular rye ale tonight which I've had before. Cracking beer. So few really good rye ales out there.

Simcoe by 8 degrees is fantastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    A rare occurrence for me but I was out in town last night for a few pints. Celebrating the handing in of a college project.
    Didn't get to choose the pub so it was a dodgy pint of Galway Hooker for the first pint and then onto the black stuff. Finished off the night in Sweetmans and had a couple of pints of their Pale Ale which was really nice.

Was in Lidl earlier and noticed they had a new McGarlges, Cousin Lucy(?)'s Pale Ale. Anybody try it yet? Is it up to their usual high standards?

I wasn't the only one to get some dodgy hooker then.
    Would this establishment be on dame lane with a mosaic on dame St pointing towards it?

I wasn't the only one to get some dodgy hooker then.
    Would this establishment be on dame lane with a mosaic on dame St pointing towards it?

No, other side of the Liffey. I was the only person drinking it so it was possibly first one poured that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Dungarvan Minehead is a decent IPA. Kind of spicy or something.

Really? I thought it was sh1te a bit watery with practically no aftertaste.

I picked up two bottles of White Hag IPA in the Lucan County this afternoon. I haven't had anything from them since the Beer Festival in the RDS so looking forward to seeing what it tastes like.
    I'd tried the big ale and the red that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

To whoever was looking for the Brehon beers there are plenty of the Brehon range left in SV on Sundrive. I did oggle it with my eyes earlier.

Alas, I am fully stocked from the Dunnes 4 for 9 offer. Tonight I shall sup Leann Folainn.

Redmonds in Ranelagh have the 2 new Brehon beers. Shanco Dubh porter & Stony Grey India Pale ale

Just drinking the former now- 7.7%. Yummy

Heroditas wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was sh1te a bit watery with practically no aftertaste.

I picked up two bottles of White Hag IPA in the Lucan County this afternoon. I haven't had anything from them since the Beer Festival in the RDS so looking forward to seeing what it tastes like.
    I'd tried the big ale and the red that weekend.

White hag have put out some fantastic stuff. Love the ipa. Had their bog ale last week which was also lovely and had the Fleadh ale a fews previous which was also top notch.

• Advertisement

Yeah, white hag a contender for Irish brewery of 2015 already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement