Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I really wanna try a few of the new 8 Degrees in the Norseman tonight, but it's always packed and I'd have to work afterwards, so maybe another time, during the day. If I can nip in for that Double Irish, I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Does anyone have any more details of the craft beer fair in the hole in the wall on Monday. Can't seem to find anything other than its 15 euro to enter. Does this 15 euro include anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Grayditch wrote: »
    I really wanna try a few of the new 8 Degrees in the Norseman tonight, but it's always packed and I'd have to work afterwards, so maybe another time, during the day. If I can nip in for that Double Irish, I will.

Picked up the three in bottles from Drinkstore this evening.

Spent the GDP of a small nation on beer this week, some Buxton & Beavertown from Belfast not available down here, ditto Farmageddon stuff, as well as loads of new Weird Beard from Drinkstore. Oh and some Kernel on draught in Belfast. Beervana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

slayerking wrote: »
    Does anyone have any more details of the craft beer fair in the hole in the wall on Monday. Can't seem to find anything other than its 15 euro to enter. Does this 15 euro include anything?

doubtful, the fifteen quid is a donation to charity for xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

drumswan wrote:

Hopefully it is available to order from the website by the weekend...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Couple of little treats tonight. Dunnes are sold out of Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil, so I had to spend a little bit more on it in Fine Wines. Picked up a very reasonably priced OFAF while I was there. Always lovely, both beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Had them all, really wasn't too busy at any part of the night. Left at around 9:45-ish. Russian imperial stout was the pick of the bunch imo, thought it was really good. Similar to Black Boar nearly. Dubbel was nice as well, a little bit sweet but good to see an Irish brewer take it on. Double Irish I couldn't make my mind up on, seeing as the Full Irish is my favourite Irish IPA I was expecting big things, I thought it was a bit harsh on the alcohol, or a little bit fruity or something, swayed away from the taste of the full Irish anyway, and what I was expecting. It was still pretty nice, but if comparing DIPA/IIPA's I'd prefer an OFAF. Like I said though, still pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Joekers

revz wrote: »
    Had them all, really wasn't too busy at any part of the night. Left at around 9:45-ish. Russian imperial stout was the pick of the bunch imo, thought it was really good. Similar to Black Boar nearly. Dubbel was nice as well, a little bit sweet but good to see an Irish brewer take it on. Double Irish I couldn't make my mind up on, seeing as the Full Irish is my favourite Irish IPA I was expecting big things, I thought it was a bit harsh on the alcohol, or a little bit fruity or something, swayed away from the taste of the full Irish anyway, and what I was expecting. It was still pretty nice, but if comparing DIPA/IIPA's I'd prefer an OFAF. Like I said though, still pretty good.

What were the prices like ?

drumswan wrote: »

Spent the GDP of a small nation on beer this week, some Buxton & Beavertown from Belfast not available down here, ditto Farmageddon stuff

I always drink Farmageddon IPA when I'm in Belfast. Lovely stuff. I'll be up there tomorrow night and I'm looking forward to getting it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Joekers wrote: »
    What were the prices like ?

€6.50 an American pint for the 2 9%'ers. Think the Dubbel was the same though not 100%

• Advertisement

Anyone tried the Justice stuff from Clane?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

Ohh!!! Big White Hag fan here- from bottle or keg, & if the latter, is the Imperial Stout one of them? (Please say yes!!)

Bottle- if you keep asking them for it on draught they might stock it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone tried the Justice stuff from Clane?
    Justice yes. I haven't seen Revolution or Revenge on sale anywhere in Dublin yet.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Justice yes. I haven't seen Revolution or Revenge on sale anywhere in Dublin yet.

hmm, thought so from reading the label.

Won't be rushing to taste it.

As a reference, what kind of IBU are we talking for the likes of Galway Hooker, Metalman, O'Hara's Pale Ale etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

slayerking wrote: »

The suppliers doing the sampling are usually very generous with their samples.
    15 Euro to the charity and you go home with a belly full of booze- win win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I had a Jack Cody's Smiggy Amber Ale last night, was very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

hmm, thought so from reading the label.

Won't be rushing to taste it.

As a reference, what kind of IBU are we talking for the likes of Galway Hooker, Metalman, O'Hara's Pale Ale etc?

I can't comment on the IBUs of those beers, but the Justice is very disappointing in comparison. I'd like to support them as they are fairly local to me, but unless the recipe improves, I wouldn't be buying it again.

Revolution Red is ok. I would try it again,. but not at the EUR 4.25 SuperValu Maynooth were charging for it.

Both beers have been available as four for EUR 10 in SuperValu Clane and Salinns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

revz wrote: »

Only tried the DIPA and also got some slightly harsh alcohol from it, both in the aroma and the finish. Mellowed a bit, or my palette adjusted as I drank it. Wonder how fresh it is, could maybe do with a few weeks in the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Tried all three of the new 8 degrees beers last night, thought they were all good but the imperial stout was excellent. Also had a White Hag Meabh Rua, and a Metalman Smokescreen. Sore head today.

Anything decent pouring in O'Neill's?

• Advertisement

Only found out the other day Beavertown was started by Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin's son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Only found out the other day Beavertown was started by Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin's son.

It's true. Great interview with Logan Plant on the Beer O'Clock Show podcast on their Beavertown special!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You're not paying enough attention so. ;)
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Forgot to mention, did you know that Robert Plant promotes/is associated with the brewery? He was on the Sunday Brunch (on Sunday funnily enough) and he took out a couple of cans of the stuff to promote it, and also name checked them a few times.
    jsa112 wrote: »
    His son owns Beavertown. I really liked their smoked porter myself. Think you are walking a fine line when smoking things, had Emelisse smoked rye ipa before which was dreadful

Chameleon Smokescreen about the most interesting at first glance.

Disappointingly the White Gypsy is Weiss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Down in the Black Sheep supping some buried at sea to nourish myself for the nights lack of good beer in the Academy

I'm doing the same before heading to Howl At The Moon

I'm doing the same before heading to Howl At The Moon

It's actually annoying having to goto a place these days with nothing nice on tap. I would sooner give Galway bay the cash for a few good beers rather than the Academy for their 6 euro Heineken! Will have my fill here and enjoy their water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's actually annoying having to goto a place these days with nothing nice on tap. I would sooner give Galway bay the cash for a few good beers rather than the Academy for their 6 euro Heineken! Will have my fill here and enjoy their water!

You need this for gigs, if you're a whiskey fan...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Hip-Flask-Stainless/dp/B000SM5HWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417204143&sr=8-2&keywords=hip+flasks+8oz

Lol I was just given two small chocolates with a Dark Arts because it's a chocolate porter, apparently.

Nice.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

Oh I have one but myself and the amber spirit don't get along!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement