Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

slayerking wrote: »
    I whole heartedly agree that traditional Irish red ales are usually fairly uninspiring.
    Bru Rua and Rascals Big Hop Red are not traditional Irish red ales, they are closer to American Amber ales to be honest. Much much more hoppy and I really like them both myself tbh whereas I'd normally stay well away from the style.
    Hopped up red ales/ambers are a beautiful thing.
    Neither are like fresh American Ambers IMO. 'Big Hop Red' is anything but. Unless they've drastically ramped up the hop bill since I last had them.

Amber Ella is much closer to the style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

drumswan wrote: »
    Neither are like fresh American Ambers IMO.
    What is a fresh American amber ale? One that was brewed recently in America or one that used fresh hops? I've had American ambers that were less hoppy than Bru Rua and I've had American ambers that were more hoppy, that's my point. You typically don't get trad Irish red ales like those.
    'Big Hop Red' is anything but. Unless they've drastically ramped up the hop bill since I last had them.
    Last time I had it, it tasted pretty hoppy to me. In a blind taste vs proper trad Irish reds it would stand out a mile. This could be an interesting experiment actually!
    Amber Ella is much closer to the style.
    That's probably because it is 100 an American Amber ale, so much so that it medaled in an American Amber ale contest, you can't get much more American Amber than than, unless you maybe come first!

slayerking wrote: »
    What is a fresh American amber ale?
    Sorry I meant a bottle bought fresh, the way the style is supposed to be drank.
    Last time I had it, it tasted pretty hoppy to me. In a blind taste vs proper trad Irish reds it would stand out a mile. This could be an interesting experiment actually!
    Would be interesting alright. Are there any 'proper trad Irish reds' brewed in Ireland? Smithwicks? MacArdles? Is that it? Im amazed its even recognised as a historical style, it seems to have been created in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Big Hop Red is pretty close to 5AM Saint IMO. Beats other draught beers easily in a place like Bernard Shaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Are there any 'proper trad Irish reds' brewed in Ireland? Smithwicks? MacArdles? Is that it? Im amazed its even recognised as a historical style, it seems to have been created in the US.

Trad reds imo are almost like incredibly bland, weak tasting stouts - almost like stout without the balls.
    Proper trad reds are O'Haras red, porterhouse red, 8 degrees sunburnt Irish red, dungarvan copper coast, Rebel red, etc. They all have close zero hop flavour/aroma and just a smige of a roasted grain for color.
    I don't hate red ales myself but they definitely aren't the most exciting style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

To whoever was looking for the Brehon beers there are plenty of the Brehon range left in SV on Sundrive. I did oggle it with my eyes earlier.

Alas, I am fully stocked from the Dunnes 4 for 9 offer. Tonight I shall sup Leann Folainn.

snowblind wrote: »
    Big Hop Red is pretty close to 5AM Saint IMO. Beats other draught beers easily in a place like Bernard Shaw.

Must try this again, had it on draught in The Headline and it was fairly bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Bottle or draught?
    I haven't tried the bottles but I thought the draught version was beautifully balanced in every way. I couldn't understand why people were mentioning a harsh alcohol taste.
    Maybe the bottles aren't as good?

I agree, I've tried the bottle and draught versions and I thought they were both excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I had it down in the HITW on draught and thought the same.

edit, that it was bland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

So it's my graduation tonight, shelbourne, cafe en seine and then coppers.
    Ffs I want to buy hoppy beer and all I'm faced with in the shelbourne is liffey pisswater and cork piss water.
    Why can't they get even a few bottles in of something decent, there is a demand for them.
    Thank god for proper whiskey in these places but Christ lads get the finger out.

Sorry for the rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Shelbourne bar has Carrig (Amber ale and pale ale). It's tasty.

Had Buxton Nth Cloud this evening, lovely DIPA even if it could have used a bit more oomph in the hops department. Really great sweet malt backbone.
    Founders Dark Penance, absolutely superb.
    Was a bit disappointed with Eight Degrees Belgian Dubbel, a little over sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Beavertown Black Betty Black IPA - lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

wicklow wolf's dry hopped ipa wasn't up to much, think I will let somebody else try their porter, as I've only liked 1 out of 3 of their beers

jsa112 wrote: »
    wicklow wolf's dry hopped ipa wasn't up to much, think I will let somebody else try their porter, as I've only liked 1 out of 3 of their beers

I thought the amber ale was good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Vedett Extra Ordinary IPA 2nd time I've had this and this time on draught.

Much nicer then I remembered , smells of orange and grapefruit. Not too hoppy it's definitely an American styled Belgian IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Are there any 'proper trad Irish reds' brewed in Ireland? Smithwicks? MacArdles? Is that it? Im amazed its even recognised as a historical style, it seems to have been created in the US.

Costellos from Kilkenny is one isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Ramée Ambrée - Abbaye De La Ramée : a tripel beer which is sweet but not too much and finishes of with a bit of spice or pepper hit.

Very easy to drink and at 7.5% it would be easy to have a few more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I had Blacks' The Session last night. I wanted something relatively easy-going ABV-wise for a Wednesday night and found it very enjoyable. It's very much as full-flavoured as some stronger beers like O'Hara's.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Bought a advent-calender case of Weissbier off Groupon...normally wouldn't trust Groupon as far as I could throw them but €40 for 24 beers most of which I have not tried was too good a deal to turn down, figured if half of them were nice and the rest drinkable was worth €1.66 each.
    Got it delivered yesterday and did what your typical Irish person does with an advent-calender...smashed open a load of random hatches and consumed what was inside!

Hacklberg Jakobi Weissbier Hell - decent enough, the expected banana and bread with a little bit of sour which was nice.

Arcobräu Weissbier Hell - bland, tastes like someone attempted to cut weiss with cheap lager! Tried it before it Germany but don't remember it being so poor.

Wolferstetter Export Hefe Weizen - fair whack of banana and cloves, head had the consistency of fairy liquid(!), malty enough for a weiss, not bad overall.

Weideneder Weizengold - very good, nice sprittzy carbonation mouth-feel, perky citrus taste, head died too fast though.

Wieninger Hefe Weissbier Hell - Not bad, not great either, fairly yeasty and a good head but could do with more pizzaz.

• Advertisement

Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout - much stronger coffee aroma and taste this year than what i remember from previous years, tastes great.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

BMJD wrote: »
    Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout - much stronger coffee aroma and taste this year than what i remember from previous years, tastes great.

Having one of these myself now too. Very enjoyable.

Thinking of trying an 8 Degrees Russian Imperial Stout after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Joekers

An File wrote: »
    Having one of these myself now too. Very enjoyable.

Thinking of trying an 8 Degrees Russian Imperial Stout after.

Also having one of these at the moment and it really is just pure coffee flavour delicious, have an Anchor Christmas Ale in the fridge for tomorrow night as well

Evil Twins I Love You With My Stout

Absurdly sweet and boozy, not feeling it. Maybe they should have billed it as a dessert beer, but they didnt because they are a wanky brewery. Possibly the wankiest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Oh my goodness. The 8 Degrees imperial stout is just flawless. I am loving this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Evil Twins I Love You With My Stout

Absurdly sweet and boozy, not feeling it. Maybe they should have billed it as a dessert beer, but they didnt because they are a wanky brewery. Possibly the wankiest.

yes, agreed. Their Hipster Ale is rubbish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

yes, agreed. Their Hipster Ale is rubbish too.

You probably just didn't "get it" :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I'm going to break out a year-old Westvleteren 12 from my stash tonight. It has been so long that I can't remember what they tasted like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The Franciscan Well Jameson Stout has reappeared! I asked about it a few weeks ago and it was sold out, Its in a 1 litre bottle in a case an all this year, I'm sure it was 750ml last year can anyone remember was it smaller last year!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's always been 1L, AFAIK. Likewise Bellringer and Alpha Dawg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement