Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Tried two of the Brehon beers last night - Blonde and Red. Tasted good, very well made I reckon. Hopefuly their forthcoming IPA won't disappoint.

Apparently Blacks of Kinsale will be bottling their Rocketship IPA in the New Year which is good to hear. Had a Growler of it before and liked it.

Now, hopefully O'Haras do the same with Hop Heavy....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭themountainman

Weird Beard Holy Hoppin Hell Batch 1. Nice, but not the most tasty DIPA I've had. Also Kinsale Session. Nice drink to sip away at.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Tried two of the Brehon beers last night - Blonde and Red. Tasted good, very well made I reckon. Hopefuly their forthcoming IPA won't disappoint

It's a really nice IPA @ 6%. It should hit the shops later this week

Very hard to find though - Blackrock Cellar was the first and only place in Dublin I've seen the Brehon range. The only seem to mention local (Monaghan) outlets on their FB page. Do you know of anywhere else around Dublin stocks the Brehon range?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Very hard to find though - Blackrock Cellar was the first and only place in Dublin I've seen the Brehon range. The only seem to mention local (Monaghan) outlets on their FB page. Do you know of anywhere else around Dublin stocks the Brehon range?

I've seen both blonde & red in Super Valu stores in Dublin. Definitely had it in SV Sundrive road at the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Saw it in supervalu celbridge the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

8 Degrees Sunburnt Red.

Almost forgot how decent their core brews are, been trying so much other stuff this past while. the beer revolu is spot on about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Really enjoying Beavertown Smog Rocket. First smoked porter I've come across. At 3.89 for 33cl I couldn't do it every day though.

Tip: when drinking this don't smoke a ciggie at the same time. It took me a while to figure it out, but you can't taste the smokiness if you have just taken a drag.

It's great that SuperValu are stocking Irish craft beers, it's just a pity there's no consistency in availability or indeed price.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

It should be jn most independent off-licences now, and all of the ex-Superquinn stores

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Just back from the Hole in the wall.

It was great. Got talking to Bru guy for ages. And the Rascals fella.

The others were clearly reps but fair play to them they gave out loads of beer. One in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Had two bottles of Solas Irish stout last night, very nice will be picking up a few more during the week.

Have four bottles of Colgans wheat beer for tonight which is also Irish brewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Double irish. Tastes like there's a lovely dipa in there, but it's like they finished it in a whiskey cask without taking out the whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Double irish. Tastes like there's a lovely dipa in there, but it's like they finished it in a whiskey cask without taking out the whiskey.

Bottle or draught?
    I haven't tried the bottles but I thought the draught version was beautifully balanced in every way. I couldn't understand why people were mentioning a harsh alcohol taste.
    Maybe the bottles aren't as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

White Gypsy Emerald Fresh Hop Beer

I love what they are doing in creating a 100% Irish product, it's very refreshing and has a great level of carbonation but I feel it's a little lacking in flavour. €5.29 for a pint bottle is a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Bottle or draught?
    I haven't tried the bottles but I thought the draught version was beautifully balanced in every way. I couldn't understand why people were mentioning a harsh alcohol taste.
    Maybe the bottles aren't as good?

I tried a bottle of Double Irish tonight and didn't think it had too harsh an alcohol taste, but then again I enjoy trippels that most would think that of. For 9% it hides the sauce very well, pretty intense explosion of taste in it, in my opinion you wouldn't know it was as high a volume as it is (until you felt woozy after the second!). Delicious quality brew, I can see why people are raving about it.

Also tried a 'Magic Stone Dog' MagicRock-Stone-BrewDog collaboration saison and I have to say I was left quite unimpressed, starts off with a nice sour but ends up just bland/mediocre, if any ever want to see what farmhouse ales should really taste like take a trip to Lithuania. They just call the stuff 'beer' and do it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had Sierra Nevada's wild hop IPA, it's made from some type of hop that was found growing in the wild that is supposed to have apricot and melon flavours.
    Not a bad beer and would drink it again no problem, I just found the hop tastes very subtle. To be honest none of the hop inspired one offs they done this year overly impressed me, their Octoberfest, Vienna Lager and Coffee stout were great though.

8 Degrees selling from their website now, but you've to order three cases. Works out to just over €2 per bottle for most of the beers.

Going to go in with 2 lads and order some Amber, Knock and FI, 8 bottles of each for each of us, for fifty quid.

Not too shabby.

Just to hark back to Monday in The Hole in the Wall.

It was very geared toward the wine crowd, but 8 Degrees, White Hag and Founders were represented by reps/distributers and Brú, Rascals and the fella from somewhere in Meath with three beers (Stout, Ale, IPA unsurprisingly), it was the brewers themselves.

all of them were happy to chat, and it was actually great to have long chats with those guys, interesting to hear the stories and processes and stuff. VERY excited about the Barrel Aged Brú Stout coming soon!

One thing though, and it relates back to a recent discussion in this thread.

I was chatting to the Bru guy, and he told me, with a totally straight face, that his own Bru Rua is his favourite from his range, which also includes a Wheat Beer, a Saison, and stout a lager and an IPA. FFS, when the actual brewer is actually saying these things at a tasting night there’s something wrong.

Oh and, Rascals too, they had a gorgeous Chocolate Ginger stout, but again, I asked the brewer why they had a beer, on tap, called “Big Hop Red”. He said they made a red ale because there aren’t that many of them on the market. I was speechless, and nearly laughed in his face. I hadn't the heart to tell him the name is entirely misleading too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

One thing though, and it relates back to a recent discussion in this thread.

I was chatting to the Bru guy, and he told me, with a totally straight face, that his own Bru Rua is his favourite from his range, which also includes a Wheat Beer, a Saison, and stout a lager and an IPA. FFS, when the actual brewer is actually saying these things at a tasting night there’s something wrong.

What's wrong with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I think hes saying Irish Ale is a ****e style and should be made illegal punishable by death. I tend to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I got the Shanco Dubh in Devaneys of Dundrum. Didn't check if they had any more. Worth a check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

8 Degrees selling from their website now, but you've to order three cases. Works out to just over €2 per bottle for most of the beers.

Going to go in with 2 lads and order some Amber, Knock and FI, 8 bottles of each for each of us, for fifty quid.

Not too shabby.
    See 24 of the Imperial Stout is €56.00. That's good value!

symbolic wrote: »
    See 24 of the Imperial Stout is €56.00. That's good value!

with a 5% Beoir discount too, it's too good to not get really

Hopefully the start of something good in Irish craft beer to get us somewhere closer to US pricing.

anncoates wrote: »
    I got the Shanco Dubh in Devaneys of Dundrum. Didn't check if they had any more. Worth a check

Brehon range is in Drinkstore. The prices kind of illustrate the point of my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

drumswan wrote: »
    I think hes saying Irish Ale is a ****e style and should be made illegal punishable by death. I tend to agree.

Each to their own.

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Each to their own.

I agree, theres a place for every beer, even pale lager. Except Irish Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I whole heartedly agree that traditional Irish red ales are usually fairly uninspiring.
    Bru Rua and Rascals Big Hop Red are not traditional Irish red ales, they are closer to American Amber ales to be honest. Much much more hoppy and I really like them both myself tbh whereas I'd normally stay well away from the style.
    Hopped up red ales/ambers are a beautiful thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Had a few colgans wheat beer last night, decent enough.

Got guinness west indies porter brewers source 1801 followed by, dublin porter brewers source 1796 for tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement