Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

McGrath's Irish Black Stout (bottle 50cl)
    Chimay Rouge (bottle 33 cl)
    Franciscan Well pale ale
    Of Foam And Fury (bottle 50 cl)

Grand night out across 4 Limerick pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭laros

St. Mels don't make an IPA

i think what was meant was Pale Ale rather than IPA.

http://www.stmelsbrewing.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm wondering if it is the bottling where it is causing issues for a lot of breweries. St Mels pale ale whilst not the best in the world is made by a good brewer. Their brown ale I have enjoyed but did have two dud bottles out of the 10 or so I bought.

I guess it all boils down to the prices one pays for the majority of Irish craft. I want to support the local breweries and I appreciate the economies of scale but when you see the prices of some beers in off licences and pubs it makes me go nah, keep it.

At the end of the days ones pockets only run so deep with all the other bloody bills that need to be prioritised.

I had both Wicklow Wolf beers on tap in Bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Didn't notice any off flavours in the Wicklow Wolf red or brown. Had the red from a bottle and thought it reasonable for the style. The usual boring Irish ****e though.

All these brewers see themselves in competition with Heineken and Diageo, not with Sierra Nevada and Founders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Weird Beard Hit The Lights had it a few week ago and had it again yesterday it's a nice pale ale but at near €4 a 500ml bottle there are better irish pale ales.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Didn't notice any off flavours in the Wicklow Wolf red or brown. Had the red from a bottle and thought it reasonable for the style. The usual boring Irish ****e though.

All these brewers see themselves in competition with Heineken and Diageo, not with Sierra Nevada and Founders

They aren't off flavours, the brown just has absolutely NO flavour, and the amber has some horrible bittering hop that Rye River also use in McGargles red

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Anyone had that Kenmare IPA? Or maybe it's a pale ale. I've seen it cheap enough in a lot of places, but never bothered with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Quite liked wicklow wolf's amber ale, their blonde isn't great(had both on bottle).
    How are these beers passing quality tests? Who is tasting these beers and telling the brewers to release them to market?
    Yeah have to really wonder about this. I'm very hesitant to try Irish beers these days.
    Their brown ale I have enjoyed but did have two dud bottles out of the 10 or so I bought.
    Pretty high percentage, don't think I'd ever buy from a brewery again with those odds

Haven't heard much great things bout Kenmare either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

This week I'm mostly drinking Franziskaner thanks to a Spar near my job clearing it at €1 per bottle ... not short dated either ! 08/15:eek:

Mace on South Circular Road is great for beer. Decent selection and cheaper than most places.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

RayCon wrote: »
    This week I'm mostly drinking Franziskaner thanks to a Spar near my job clearing it at €1 per bottle ... not short dated either ! 08/15:eek:

I'm hooked on Franziskaner,I can't find a Weiss over here to match it for the price,Schöfferhofer maybe. That American muck doesn't come close.

Summer Wine Brewing Co. - Maelstrom Double IPA. 9.0%

Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Grayditch wrote: »
    Anyone had that Kenmare IPA? Or maybe it's a pale ale. I've seen it cheap enough in a lot of places, but never bothered with it.

It's alright for the price. Not a patch on the Independent Pale though which is usually only 50c extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just bought a growler of white hag bog ale.

Hopefully it's as good as the Fleadh ale I had from them a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

had both there IPA and red last wend and there just ok, wouldn't say there muck etc.

better off getting some other beers like Bru or O hara's and there same price or even cheaper in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Had a few pints of Hop Head in the Porterhouse last night. Really enjoyed it.

It kind of tastes similar enough to Metalman and Mine Head from the Dungarvan Brewing Company. Not exactly the same but along those lines.

Any more suggestions along the same line?

Mine Head is my 'go to' beer now but it's hard enough to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Just bought a growler of white hag bog ale.

Hopefully it's as good as the Fleadh ale I had from them a few weeks ago

I tried their oktoberfest marzen over the weekend along with their pale ale and both were superb. They are probably my favourite irish brewery at the moment.

Founders' Dark Presence really is a special beer. Already one of my favourites after just one. Perfection.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I tried their oktoberfest marzen over the weekend along with their pale ale and both were superb. They are probably my favourite irish brewery at the moment.

Yeah the Fleadh ale was gorgeous. I had their ipa as well from bottle the other night which was lovely and this big ale is very like a begian ale. Superb stuff imo

Founders' Dark Presence

Dark Penance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Was delighted to find Franciscan Well Rebel Red and Chieftain IPA on draft in Bradys in Maynooth. Good to have any sort of craft available in the local pubs at last!

Hit up Aldi to take advantage of the Bru for EUR 2.49 a bottle but only managed to get 6 Rí but this was at 6pm yesterday mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I guess it all boils down to the prices one pays for the majority of Irish craft. I want to support the local breweries and I appreciate the economies of scale but when you see the prices of some beers in off licences and pubs it makes me go nah, keep it.

At the end of the days ones pockets only run so deep with all the other bloody bills that need to be prioritised.

I've felt this way for a while. I try to support Irish craft breweries but usually can't afford to take a gamble on a €4 bottle of an unknown beer that might not be any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've felt this way for a while. I try to support Irish craft breweries but usually can't afford to take a gamble on a €4 bottle of an unknown beer that might not be any good.

How much of the uncertainty is down to small batch brewing ? There can be an awful lot of variability in little things than change the character/ Flavours in a beer-
    Also how many offlicences are direct stocking local beers ? (Buying them direct from brewery as opposed to a distributor ? ). Could this help bring price down stocking a few local beers at a better price( my local offlicence has a good range of craft beer and seem very reasonable for Munster brewery stuff (youghals not far off )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Markcheese wrote: »
    How much of the uncertainty is down to small batch brewing ? There can be an awful lot of variability in little things than change the character/ Flavours in a beer-
    Also how many offlicences are direct stocking local beers ? (Buying them direct from brewery as opposed to a distributor ? ). Could this help bring price down stocking a few local beers at a better price( my local offlicence has a good range of craft beer and seem very reasonable for Munster brewery stuff (youghals not far off )

Good questions. I don't know the answers.

When I saw one bottle of Of Foam And Fury going for €7.15 in a Galway off licence, about a mile from the brewery, it seemed to mark the start of a shift in Irish craft beer pricing in general. Most bottles from the newer breweries seem pitched at around €3.95, which, for me, is too much of a gamble for an unknown product. If I hear great things about the beer I will pick up a bottle, but not before then.

Yeah, I was so majorly disappointed with the Wicklow Wolf stuff at the weekend, which was exacerbated by the fact that I genuinely brewed at least three better beers myself in recent weeks.

I mean, if I can produce drinkable, taste filled beers in my back garden, why can these guys not do it on better kit, with better ingredients?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I mean, if I can produce drinkable, taste filled beers in my back garden, why can these guys not do it on better kit, with better ingredients?

To be fair, your ingredients are probably just as good (if not better).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish_goat wrote: »
    To be fair, your ingredients are probably just as good (if not better).

I was just about to say that! :)

I'm doing extract brews though!

Good questions. I don't know the answers.

When I saw one bottle of Of Foam And Fury going for €7.15 in a Galway off licence, about a mile from the brewery, it seemed to mark the start of a shift in Irish craft beer pricing in general. Most bottles from the newer breweries seem pitched at around €3.95, which, for me, is too much of a gamble for an unknown product. If I hear great things about the beer I will pick up a bottle, but not before then.

Thats gas that ofaf is €7.15 in a Galway offi when its just over €6 in most of the ones I frequent.

That said I'd more than happily pay €7.15 for a bottle. Dont tell Galway Bay that though. ;)

Theres a bit of bandwagoning going on in the "craft" scene though. The likes of the muck from Lidl recently. Is it called crafty beer made by the same people as the mcgargles rubbish?

I think you have to be picky. I've picked a few bottles off the recommendations on here and havent been let down yet.

The most recent being Founders Breakfast Stout.

If every recommendation can be as good as this one I'd appreciate it. :p

• Advertisement

Founders isn't Irish though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement