Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Joekers wrote: »
    Currently enjoying a Founders Dark Penance, lovely tropical bitter sweet taste will definitely be picking up another tomorrow night

Where ya find that? Dying to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Joekers

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Where ya find that? Dying to try it

Mace on South Circular Road beside St James Hospital decent selection in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

After the Dirty Bastard and Breakfast stout, Founders are now my number 1 beer provider. Somehow cheaper than most Irish beers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

RasTa wrote: »
    After the Dirty Bastard and Breakfast stout, Founders are now my number 1 beer provider. Somehow cheaper than most Irish beers too.

I had a bottle of founders breakfast stout last night for the first time. Oh my good god it's amazing!!

Definitely my Xmas morning beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Founders are brilliant. Quality beers. Their jam-jar style glasses are class. Even if it is a bit hipster.

Tried U-Boat last night. It's a great smoked porter. Not a lot of smokey taste, but lovely nonetheless.

I saw that Drinkstore have Sierra Nevava Stout and Porter mustard.

Mustards!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Grayditch wrote: »
    Founders are brilliant. Quality beers. Their jam-jar style glasses are class. Even if it is a bit hipster.

Mason jars. Very country.

Perfect lip contour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

2014-11-21.jpg
    Got a nice gift of one of these for my breakfast stout yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

drumswan wrote: »
    2014-11-21.jpg
    Got a nice gift of one of these for my breakfast stout yesterday :)

Lucky you! I've been looking for one for ages. It's a fantastic stout.

I'm enjoying a Meabh Rua by white hag, from a growler. It's a big drink and I'm worried that at 8.2% I won't be able for it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What a great thread to have stumbled across !!
    I must try that founders
    I'm also spending Christmas this year in Brussels so I'm sure I'll try a nice beer or two - Xd

• Advertisement

Sierra Nevada's Snow Wit, white IPA is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just had the two Brewdog offerings, Santa Paws and Hoppy Christmas. The SP isn't as nice as I remember it being last year, but I have a few more to try to properly make up my mind. :) The HC is just as nice, if not nicer, than I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

In sweetmans having their pale ale. Could be the last decent drink of the night as have to meet the wife and her mates and the terrible places they goto.

Currently having a bottle of O'Sheas stout from Aldi. It's not bad. A bit thin for my likely. Could do with a kick more alcohol. But then again maybe that's just after drinking Founders breakfast stout and porterhouse celebration stout last night.

All in all though it's a pretty drinkable stout for a lowish price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Picked up an I beat you, some white gag ipa, porterhouse celebration and St meld raisin and oatmeal.
    So happy to see the celebration back.
    Anyone know what the st mal's raisin and oatmeal is like?

Dungarvan's Coffee & Oatmeal Stout. Very heavy on the coffee this year. Kinda ruins it for me because apart from the "cold cup of strong coffee" vibe there seems to be a nice beer under it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Dungarvan's Coffee & Oatmeal Stout. Very heavy on the coffee this year. Kinda ruins it for me because apart from the "cold cup of strong coffee" vibe there seems to be a nice beer under it.

I thought it was poor tbh. I had one and have another in the cupboard that I'll have after a few decent beers if I want that "one more" before bed just to get rid of it.

I'm a massive coffee person btw and had high hopes for this but was majorly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Sky Mountain Sour.
    A collaboration between Buxton Brewery in England and To Ol of Denmark.

It's quite sour, but not overly so (for me anyway). No head as it pours, it doesn't look special at all but the flavour is intense - sour, sharp and almost vinegar-like and quite dry.

This might just be my new favourite beer, dangerously drinkable and I'm sorry I only got 2 bottles! I'll be drinking this again for sure...

I like those breweries, and anything sour, so I'll look out for that.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I like those breweries, and anything sour, so I'll look out for that.
    Now drinking another Buxton beer, "Tsar" Russian imperial stout. 9.5% so glad it's a 33cl bottle and not a pint! I love stout that's strong and full bodied with a dry taste, and this ticks all the boxes for me. The alcohol is noticeable but doesn't overpower the flavours.

• Advertisement

Brooklyn Dry Irish Stout. Nice, not exactly memorable but very drinkable. I don't think I've tasted any beer of theirs that wasn't decent.

Founders Dark Penance is absolute amazeballs!

Seriously though, it's such a cracking beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was in the Harbour in Bray. Had a sample of both the Wicklow Wolf beers they have on tap.

The Brown Ale is as bland as Smithwicks and the Amber has that same earwax twang as Mcgargles red.

Yet another disappointing new Irish Brewer.

Earlier in the day I opened my own stout, pale ale, Red Ale and Xmas brew and they were all better

Was in the Harbour in Bray. Had a sample of both the Wicklow Wolf beers they have on tap.

The Brown Ale is as bland as Smithwicks and the

and the what?! Don't leave us hanging!!!!

Lol posting on phone

I'm actually fairly annoyed. How are these beers passing quality tests? Who is tasting these beers and telling the brewers to release them to market?

I know myself and my brewing crew wouldn't dream of even letting family taste any beer we make that would taste like either of them Wolf beers, or that St Mels IPA.

It's disheartening to think that Irish Craft might have peaked.

Serious questions need to be asked about the new generation of beers imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I'm actually fairly annoyed. How are these beers passing quality tests? Who is tasting these beers and telling the brewers to release them to market?

I know myself and my brewing crew wouldn't dream of even letting family taste any beer we make that would taste like either of them Wolf beers, or that St Mels IPA.

Have to agree. Paid €3.99 for a bottle of wicklow wolf amber and €3.70 for a St Mels IPA recently. Both garbage. Like the people that brewed them hadn't tasted them before they were bottled.

The price of a lot of new irish craft beers seems to be creeping up but the quality isin't

Well it wasn't as bad an evenings drinking as I had imagined, managed to have some of sweetmans porter on cask which was beautiful. followed by some Sheep Stealer in the norseman.

I'm wondering if it is the bottling where it is causing issues for a lot of breweries. St Mels pale ale whilst not the best in the world is made by a good brewer. Their brown ale I have enjoyed but did have two dud bottles out of the 10 or so I bought.

I guess it all boils down to the prices one pays for the majority of Irish craft. I want to support the local breweries and I appreciate the economies of scale but when you see the prices of some beers in off licences and pubs it makes me go nah, keep it.

At the end of the days ones pockets only run so deep with all the other bloody bills that need to be prioritised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭toffeeshel

St. Mels don't make an IPA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement