Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

farmerjj wrote: »
    you got 120 for jersey cross???

Yep! I'd say he thought they were lim x's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Base price wrote: »
    From what I am seeing going around to farmers most of the JEx's have finished calving about 3 weeks ago and they are thin on the ground at the moment.

SB - the veal trade must be flying in France at the moment with those prices.

This time of year calves are very scarce as most dairy calves are born in autumn and winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Any update this week? Thought calves were back a bit, reasonable angus bulls could be got for 150-180

• Registered Users Posts: 29,236 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

royaler83 wrote: »
    Any update this week? Thought calves were back a bit, reasonable angus bulls could be got for 150-180
    meant to go today but hadnt bvd results for them all so didnt go, will go next week

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

Nenagh today
    2 HE heifers 3 weeks old 215e
    1 LM bull 5 and a half weeks old 350 e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Nenagh today
    2 HE heifers 3 weeks old 215e
    1 LM bull 5 and a half weeks old 350 e

Sounds like you did well esp for the HE

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

royaler83 wrote: »
    Sounds like you did well esp for the HE

Yea I suppose we did, the year is shoving on for fellas buying calves... it's the poorest price we've got for whiteheads so far this year. But they were also the youngest we've sold them a so far this year..

2 aa bulls 2 wweeks old 175
    1 aa female 2 weeks old 150
    1 fart of an aa heifer 2 weeks old 125

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

whelan2 wrote: »
    2 aa bulls 2 wweeks old 175
    1 aa female 2 weeks old 150
    1 fart of an aa heifer 2 weeks old 125

Friesian Bull Feb 13 born 410kgs 485 in the yard fees and transport paid.
    Jex bull Feb 13 born 345kgs 355 in the yard fees and transport paid.

Friesian Bull Feb 13 born 410kgs 485 in the yard fees and transport paid.
    Jex bull Feb 13 born 345kgs 355 in the yard fees and transport paid.
    a lad was saying a farmer had fr bulls born last september/october in the cattle sale, he was getting 300 euro each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

a lad was saying a farmer had fr bulls born last september/october in the cattle sale, he was getting 300 euro each.

Saw a bunch of light spring 13 born badly done Jex cross 200kgs make 295 euro. there was eight in the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Whelan 2, your prices were more reflective of what was there in nenagh yesterday. Heaps of w.head in every pen.The herford calves at 215e were fine calves, see some stuck at 200 and then suddenely move on10/20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

joejobrien wrote: »
    Whelan 2, your prices were more reflective of what was there in nenagh yesterday. Heaps of w.head in every pen.The herford calves at 215e were fine calves, see some stuck at 200 and then suddenely move on10/20 euro

The auld white heads are gonna be common in 2 years time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Reggie. wrote: »
    The auld white heads are gonna be common in 2 years time

I can see this thread starting here in a couple of years "factories won't kill my whitehead cattle".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I can see this thread starting here in a couple of years "factories won't kill my whitehead cattle".

I can see something similar happening , even though no matter what it should be meat thats easily shifted considering all the praise its getting now .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Any of ye guy/gals seen simmental calves being sold lately thinking they could be a alternative for next years calves..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

loveta wrote: »
    Any of ye guy/gals seen simmental calves being sold lately thinking they could be a alternative for next years calves..

A good looking 1 with width & milk behind her will get lots of attention.
    Only thing is colour could go against you

anyone any recent prices? aa bulls and heifers, have a lad coming for last of the calves tomorrow also a fr bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

anyone any recent prices? aa bulls and heifers, have a lad coming for last of the calves tomorrow also a fr bull?

sold a bbx heifer for 340 today

stanflt wrote: »
    sold a bbx heifer for 340 today

Not a bad price there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Anyone any idea what 6 week old lmx bulls and heifers are worth?

what would aa heifer calf make now? looked inat local calf sale yesterday but it was all fr bulls over 6 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

what would aa heifer calf make now? looked inat local calf sale yesterday but it was all fr bulls over 6 weeks

Bought 2 two weeks ago.1 6weeks old €210. 1 4 weeks old €190..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

€200 in ballybay two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Calf prices do not seem to have changed this year.
    Great for someone selling but considering the current state of beef prices it appears that we are an optimistic Nation.

Base price wrote: »
    Calf prices do not seem to have changed this year.
    Great for someone selling but considering the current state of beef prices it appears that we are an optimistic Nation.

There were a few lads round here getting set up in milk with no quotas, they bought up calves to feed... I'd say they are maybe regretting buying so many now. I know one chap who at one stage lost 8 calves over two weeks as he'd never kept sucks before... thought it was just a matter of tipping the milk in across the gate... boy was he wrong !!

_Brian wrote: »
    There were a few lads round here getting set up in milk with no quotas, they bought up calves to feed... I'd say they are maybe regretting buying so many now. I know one chap who at one stage lost 8 calves over two weeks as he'd never kept sucks before... thought it was just a matter of tipping the milk in across the gate... boy was he wrong !!
    That's a tough way to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    Hard luck on him and as Reggie said it was a tough way to learn. Hopefully he is still on track to go milking.
    Rearing a number of calves indoors ain't easy. You need good airy accommodation and be meticulous about hygiene including food hygiene, vaccination and herd management.
    To be honest I love rearing calves and lots of them. We (actually I) rear in and around 300 every year. We do not have fancy new sheds but we do utilise lots of old sheds/barns/even the slatted units in the yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I was giving €120/130 ex yard for heifers

• Advertisement

I was giving €120/130 ex yard for heifers

That seems great value..
    I've given up on AAx as too many are small butty Angus rather than growthy types that make a nice animal.. I presume from putting very easy calving strain AI onto heifers..

Advertisement