Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Grecco wrote: »
    I got caught with one, and i`m experienced :mad:
    Looked like what i thought was a young calf and I didnt pay too much attention as he was in a bunch of calves, turned out to be a 6 week old jersey cross runt:mad:

Did you say anything to the seller ? Or is it just tough luck now that you bought what you saw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I'm a novice and know f all really.

I saw earlier someone taliking about friesan bull calves, I''d like to get a couple of them could I make a bit, by leaving them out in the fields until autumn and then selling them on. I'd catrate them, what age should they be for that. I've got 5 acres of good grass, and and a good shed with cubicles

What do you reckon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

colrow wrote: »
    I'm a novice and know f all really.

I saw earlier someone taliking about friesan bull calves, I''d like to get a couple of them could I make a bit, by leaving them out in the fields until autumn and then selling them on. I'd catrate them, what age should they be for that. I've got 5 acres of good grass, and and a good shed with cubicles

What do you reckon ?

No. You'll be doing the hard work, carrying all the risk and then passing them on to the next fella just when they are ready to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    Just a word of caution, for anyone who is not experienced in buying/judging suck calves.
    During my travels over the last few weeks I have noticed an increase in the number of "AAx" and "HEx" calves by some farmers selling calves that are from Jersey crossed cows. These calves are "whiteheads" or "blacks" in appearance but obviously lack the skeletal/muscular development that one would expect in a simular cross with a Friesian/Holstein.

Good call. I heard of such actions taking place.

bbam wrote: »
    No. You'll be doing the hard work, carrying all the risk and then passing them on to the next fella just when they are ready to grow.

Cheers bbam

So whats the next stage then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Good call. I heard of such actions taking place.
    i have 2 jersey bulls, when they where born you would think they where aa, a few people said sure register them as aax no one will know:rolleyes:

rotflmao

they are deffo not aa as the weeks have gone on they are like anorexic calves

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭galwayhillbilly

Base price wrote: »
    Just a word of caution, for anyone who is not experienced in buying/judging suck calves.
    During my travels over the last few weeks I have noticed an increase in the number of "AAx" and "HEx" calves by some farmers selling calves that are from Jersey crossed cows. These calves are "whiteheads" or "blacks" in appearance but obviously lack the skeletal/muscular development that one would expect in a simular cross with a Friesian/Holstein.

I think I might have got one too he seems to be growing away, he has plenty of length and is no smaller than the rest, a bit lanky as you would expect from a dairy cross until they get older and start to fill out, but what has me worried is the lovely long eyelashes, he looks like a drag queen. Is there any point in going to the seller and looking for a few quid back? he was advertised as out of BF cow. Next time I go buying, I'm bringing the kids, they always notice the eyes they are at the same level as them I suppose.

whelan2 wrote: »
    i have 2 jersey bulls, when they where born you would think they where aa, a few people said sure register them as aax no one will know:rolleyes:

I noticed plenty of FR going through the marts as blues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We all get caught the odd time.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

I think I might have got one too he seems to be growing away, he has plenty of length and is no smaller than the rest, a bit lanky as you would expect from a dairy cross until they get older and start to fill out, but what has me worried is the lovely long eyelashes, he looks like a drag queen. Is there any point in going to the seller and looking for a few quid back? he was advertised as out of BF cow. Next time I go buying, I'm bringing the kids, they always notice the eyes they are at the same level as them I suppose.

Was looking at done deal a while back and seen bb calves for sale out of British friesan cows.

Hit the link where it say " see all adds from this seller "and here was the smart fcuker with jersey cross heifer calves for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

mf240 wrote: »
    Was looking at done deal a while back and seen bb calves for sale out of British friesan cows.

Hit the link where it say " see all adds from this seller "and here was the smart fcuker with jersey cross heifer calves for sale.

So it was a blue calf out of je cow?
    What would that be like ?

Limo X !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Michael d Higgins with a blue rinse!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

moy83 wrote: »
    Did you say anything to the seller ? Or is it just tough luck now that you bought what you saw

No just tough luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I had a dealer in buying calves a few wks ago. One massive young Jex, asked me to reg as Aa/lim. He couldn't believe it when I refused. My name is on the animals card for life so won't make a liar of myself. Disgraceful behaviour in my view.

Sold 25 two week old fr bulls this pm to shipper €60 each delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

I had a dealer in buying calves a few wks ago. One massive young Jex, asked me to reg as Aa/lim. He couldn't believe it when I refused. My name is on the animals card for life so won't make a liar of myself. Disgraceful behaviour in my view.

Sold 25 two week old fr bulls this pm to shipper €60 each delighted.
    Beer money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Beer money :D

And by Jesus, do I need a beer

ote="frazzledhome;89879592"]And by Jesus, do I need a beer[/quote]

I'd join ye too.
    Havent had a pint since paddy's weekend

• Advertisement

ote="frazzledhome;89879592"]And by Jesus, do I need a beer

I'd join ye too.
    Havent had a pint since paddy's weekend[/quote]

From your antics before that I'm sure you'll do till Christmas :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    I'd join ye too.
    Havent had a pint since paddy's weekend

From your antics before that I'm sure you'll do till Christmas :D[/quote]

Sssssh don't want the gf to find out :D

From your antics before that I'm sure you'll do till Christmas :D

Sssssh don't want the gf to find out :D[/quote]

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭tanko

I am selling a 17 day old Simmental heifer calf of APZ from a lim second Calver to a neighbour who has a heifer that lost a calf. My calf is a twin along with a bull and is a nice quality animal but not that big yet.
    Can anyone give me an idea what this calf is worth?

tanko wrote: »
    I am selling a 17 day old Simmental heifer calf of APZ from a lim second Calver to a neighbour who has a heifer that lost a calf. My calf is a twin along with a bull and is a nice quality animal but not that big yet.
    Can anyone give me an idea what this calf is worth?

Is she a free martin ? I'm guessing she is . Id say she would probably make 350/400 in the mart . But if its a neighbour you like and he is after loosing a calf I would probably only charge 250 .
    Or give it to him and take her back when the cow is dry if he just wants something to suck the cow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭tanko

moy83 wrote: »
    Is she a free martin ? I'm guessing she is . Id say she would probably make 350/400 in the mart . But if its a neighbour you like and he is after loosing a calf I would probably only charge 250 .
    Or give it to him and take her back when the cow is dry if he just wants something to suck the cow

Yeah, she's a freematin alright. Never thought she'd be worth 350 - 400. I'd be happy enough with 250. He'll be keeping her for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

2 fr hf calves 1 month old freemartins what they worth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

milkprofit wrote: »
    €50 to €60 a piece ex farm - if they have a bit of shape to them.

Addendum- you may get more in the mart but after commission, time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

milkprofit wrote: »

How do u know for sure that they're freemartins at this stage? Or is it assuming they are if they're twinned with a bull

• Advertisement

2 aa heifer calves and aa bull 2 weeks old still on cow nice calves what are they worth?

Advertisement