Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    2 aa heifer calves and aa bull 2 weeks old still on cow nice calves what are they worth?

Father rang local auctioneer yesterday said there making 150-300 for very good ones

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Father rang local auctioneer yesterday said there making 150-300 for very good ones

These are aa now not jex :)

These are aa now not jex :)

Ha I'd be lucky to get 15c for a jex now ha
    Ah no I've half a dozen AAX out if fr so was wondering what there worth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Got 150 for aaxs outa HOs awhile back. We had 2 aaxs out of heifers, they were bloody black and white somehow, very square looking like a br fr, but definitely only the one serve by an AA to the heifers. Anyways my dad sold them the other day, he wouldn't tell me how muchy he got so I'm guessing it was rubbish. He brought another bloody fr bull home also, no bid.

milkprofit wrote: »
    2 fr hf calves 1 month old freemartins what they worth
    dealer was buying up freemartins for feck all in the mart and selling them for alot as a1 breeding heifers. Would you have any comeback, it would be a few years before you would find out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

New run of calves here now and I sell to a local guy that produces 3000 calves for veal every year.
    Hol bulls €165 average so far.
    Bbxhol bulls €366 average
    Jexhol bull €5 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

dealer was buying up freemartins for feck all in the mart and selling them for alot as a1 breeding heifers. Would you have any comeback, it would be a few years before you would find out

in fairness it would take a fair green horn that would buy fr heifers from a dealer with different herd id's

jt65 wrote: »
    in fairness it would take a fair green horn that would buy fr heifers from a dealer with different herd id's
    well i wouldnt buy them but obviously people did, in some cases it was the original herd that was contacted about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Sold 2 aa bulls yesterday 250, 315
    2 fr bulls 70 each
    2 bb hef calfs "twins" 190 250
    Seems to me unless you have a good shape blue and have them well done there just not so popular now.

loveta wrote: »
    Sold 2 aa bulls yesterday 250, 315
    2 fr bulls 70 each
    2 bb hef calfs "twins" 190 250
    Seems to me unless you have a good shape blue and have them well done there just not so popular now.
    what age where tha aa's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

what age where tha aa's

One just under 3 weeks the other just over three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

What's going on with the blues? From the few we've had over the last few years always found them more reliable than the angus. A lot of small framed aa out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Damo810 wrote: »
    What's going on with the blues? From the few we've had over the last few years always found them more reliable than the angus. A lot of small framed aa out there!

I dunno, I'm picking them up for 200 middle shaped ones, am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I dunno, I'm picking them up for 200 middle shaped ones, am I missing something?

At the moment no one is buying them in the marts but maybe that will change when your calves are reared

Are you Larry Goodman??? :D

Are you Larry Goodman??? :D

Haha I wish!!

Il be finishing them myself for Larry

Haha I wish!!

Il be finishing them myself for Larry

And I don't mean as contract rearer before yee kill me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Reggie. wrote: »
    At the moment no one is buying them in the marts but maybe that will change when your calves are reared

They weren't selling that good over the last few years as weanlings, especially the plainer ones.
    Would that be anything to do with it?

Farrell wrote: »
    They weren't selling that good over the last few years as weanlings, especially the plainer ones.
    Would that be anything to do with it?

But they'd still be better than a Angus & white head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

But they'd still be better than a Angus & white head

True, but as posters are saying, Larry's boys are buying aax & hex, which will push up price.
    Only problem I see, is dairy people could opt for aax & hex instead of continental & no trade for calves this time next year. Tough choices

• Advertisement

Farrell wrote: »
    True, but as posters are saying, Larry's boys are buying aax & hex, which will push up price

Yeah I get ya! Your damned if u do and damned if you don't

its all swings and roundabouts, years ago we did an et on an aa cow , got 8 aa bulls out of her, the price was crap and we only averaged 800 pounds, now we could have sold each bull 2 or 3 times over this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Aberdeen angus bull $285
    Belgian blue heifer $415
    Friesian bull $240
    all bout 4 weeks old

85 euro each for 4 br/fr bull calves 7-14 days old, dealer was giving me 45 in yard and would have to wait a week for cheque

85 euro each for 4 br/fr bull calves 7-14 days old, dealer was giving me 45 in yard and would have to wait a week for cheque

That's the style. Put the dealer in his place

That's the style. Put the dealer in his place
    he was at the sale:D my calves where in early, there where 3 poor looking fr bulls with droopy ears making 15 euro, aa heifers around 5 weeks to 320:eek::eek::eek: lim heifer around 4 weeks 150

he was at the sale:D my calves where in early, there where 3 poor looking fr bulls with droopy ears making 15 euro, aa heifers around 5 weeks to 320:eek::eek::eek: lim heifer around 4 weeks 150

Some calves still well up in price it seems. I paid 320 for really good strong calves at the start of the year and feel better about it now as the price didn't seem to come down much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭limo_100

Some calves still well up in price it seems. I paid 320 for really good strong calves at the start of the year and feel better about it now as the price didn't seem to come down much

what type of calves did you buy reggie a mixture or did you match them? bulls or heifers?

limo_100 wrote: »
    what type of calves did you buy reggie a mixture or did you match them? bulls or heifers?

All bulls. 4 HEX 1 AAX and a red FR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

smashing wh heifer-6weeks€280
    nice wh heifer-5weeks€240
    2 plain wh bulls-5weeks €250
    plain wh heifer-5 weeks€220
    poorish wh heifer- 4weeks€170
    very happy with them prices ,1st one should have made more compared to rest of them .Trade in general was only average with weather probably having a positive

Advertisement