Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Sold 3 AA bull calves yesterday in carrigallen, round the 20-25 days old. Grand calves but nothing real fancy either, E245, E210,E185. Did not wait to sell them but was told not many farmers about the ring with the good weather i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

loveta wrote: »
    Sold 3 AA bull calves yesterday in carrigallen, round the 20-25 days old. Grand calves but nothing real fancy either, E245, E210,E185. Did not wait to sell them but was told not many farmers about the ring with the good weather i suppose.

Was there briefly yesterday (didn't see sucks), allot of stock with 4 rings going (dairy, bulls, heifers, & calves), but as you say not too many buyers, 2 new auctioneers, 1 was better than the other. Saw dealers competiting who could put lowest opening bids, heifers of 400kg good quality opening at €450 / €400. Annoying to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Farrell wrote: »
    Was there briefly yesterday (didn't see sucks), allot of stock with 4 rings going (dairy, bulls, heifers, & calves), but as you say not too many buyers, 2 new auctioneers, 1 was better than the other. Saw dealers competiting who could put lowest opening bids, heifers of 400kg good quality opening at €450 / €400. Annoying to watch

and what did the heifers end up at?

Its a joke "that's not so funny" to watch in the calves and dry cow rings with dealers calling them and no rein put on them by the auctioneer. Serious amount of complaints about it and nothing really done. Never being but dowra is ment to be a lot tighter run.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Sell our weanlings in carrigallen and could never fault it. Thought it to be a well run ship and find the auctioneers good. Will try their best anyway instead of other marts we used previously where they would put them on the market without asking

• Advertisement

simx wrote: »
    and what did the heifers end up at?
    €800-900

Its a joke "that's not so funny" to watch in the calves and dry cow rings with dealers calling them and no rein put on them by the auctioneer. Serious amount of complaints about it and nothing really done. Never being but dowra is ment to be a lot tighter run.

To me the marts are trying, the producer is busting a gut, these guys are taking the piss. Be little the animal, force seller to sell cheap & sell in a different mart within next few days.
    For the 1/2 hour I was there, saw allot of 2 & 3 owner stock within herd for max 1 week.
    Then the same guy trying to buy cheap 1st owner stock

dh1985 wrote: »
    Sell our weanlings in carrigallen and could never fault it. Thought it to be a well run ship and find the auctioneers good. Will try their best anyway instead of other marts we used previously where they would put them on the market without asking

They do alright, odd time you'd hear a farmer say they were put on, but that's only odd time.
    Saw new auctioneer smile in disbelief, when trying to open at 900 & refused down to 400.
    To be fair what could he do.
    If you stand up & say open gate next animal, that farmer suffers

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

They do alright, odd time you'd hear a farmer say they were put on, but that's only odd time.
    Saw new auctioneer smile in disbelief, when trying to open at 900 & refused down to 400.
    To be fair what could he do.
    If you stand up & say open gate next animal, that farmer suffers

Yeah very true. They cant beat a bid out of buyers. Its a balls as it takes longer to sell the stock that way than actually starting off with a fair opening value. In the US the auctioneer sets a value on the stock in the ring (price per kilo/pound) and it moves up from there. Lots be sold in half the time

Don't do heifer s or bullocks so I don't know but sucks and dry cows take the biscuit gang a l dealers round the ring and the calling starts. Open as for about a third the value and try and block all round them was there late just Monday night when all the farmer crowd had gone never seen anything like it in my life

• Advertisement

Don't do heifer s or bullocks so I don't know but sucks and dry cows take the biscuit gang a l dealers round the ring and the calling starts. Open as for about a third the value and try and block all round them was there late just Monday night when all the farmer crowd had gone never seen anything like it in my life

Sadly it's always been the way, no matter what your selling, no matter the mart.
    Farmers are gone 930-10pm, or 3-4 on a Saturday, stuff to do, family etc.
    Dealers can stay on.
    Heard guy telling me once, a friend of his had 3 nice heifers, but sadly in at end of sale (luck of draw), worth €800 average, struggling to get €700 average, so he decided not to sell & possibly get earlier another day.
    A dealer approached him afterwards, so he said to himself, if he got €2250 for the 3 he'd take it as the hassle of coming back. Dealer told him they were worth no more than €1800. Goes to different mart now

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Any updates on calf prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

5 fr bulls from 1 week to 2 weeks 50 euro
    1 fr bull 2 months old-died about 5 times- 60 euro:o
    aa and wh where the only calves making mental money, smashing blues to 300 euro. about 100 calves in sale

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    5 fr bulls from 1 week to 2 weeks 50 euro
    1 fr bull 2 months old-died about 5 times- 60 euro:o
    aa and wh where the only calves making mental money, smashing blues to 300 euro. about 100 calves in sale

Yeah whatever is the story with AA and WH this year

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah whatever is the story with AA and WH this year
    tis mental

whelan2 wrote: »
    tis mental

Hopefully it will be the same when the time to sell comes around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be the same when the time to sell comes around

I'm afriad that probably wont happen , there will just be a glut of wh/aa cattle by then most probably

moy83 wrote: »
    I'm afriad that probably wont happen , there will just be a glut of wh/aa cattle by then most probably

Ain't it always

i reckon half the sale was wh calves there today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Is there many fr bull calves still around in marts?

How are people getting on selling these FR x JR calves...

• Advertisement

Is there many fr bull calves still around in marts?

How are people getting on selling these FR x JR calves?
    probably about 20 in my mart today fr, some got no bids mainly 15-70 euro, didnt see any jex

moy83 wrote: »

Ran out of beef straws there last week and the ai guy was here with some normally use a easy BB and was in a half mind to go HE as the BBs were not so popular this spring "well mine were not anyways" he advised me not to as there is a serious pile of them going on reckons the place will be over run with them next spring HEs that is.

Ran out of beef straws there last week and the ai guy was here with some normally use a easy BB and was in a half mind to go HE as the BBs were not so popular this spring "well mine were not anyways" he advised me not to as there is a serious pile of them going on reckons the place will be over run with them next spring HEs that is.

Heard that myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

hex bulls 5 weeks under cow

€380

jt65 wrote: »

€380

Whoa

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

jt65 wrote: »

€380

Could be a few cows dried off early and fattened yet;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Sold a few bull calves this am. All Holstein dams.

Je x hols €120
    Hols. €120
    Bb x hols. € 475

All calves between 10 and 21 days old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

sheebadog wrote: »
    Sold a few bull calves this am. All Holstein dams.

Je x hols €120
    Hols. €120
    Bb x hols. € 475

All calves between 10 and 21 days old.

you got 120 for jersey cross???

farmerjj wrote: »
    you got 120 for jersey cross???

My thoughts two..:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

From what I am seeing going around to farmers most of the JEx's have finished calving about 3 weeks ago and they are thin on the ground at the moment.

SB - the veal trade must be flying in France at the moment with those prices.

Advertisement