Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Prices 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

whelan2 wrote: »
    ya did well- i think

Jex long term project at that weight at year and half
    Would have preferred them bulls
    Ptob let them run for 2 yrs and kill at bad price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Are calf prices lower this time of year?
    Would there be disadvantage/advantage of calf to beef system buying now instead of spring.?
    First guess would be missing a full summer grazing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Would there be disadvantage/advantage of calf to beef system buying now instead of spring.?

They would be ready to fully utilise spring grass.
    The smallest of My autumn heifers from last yr are 250kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

More concentrates used over the winter as opposed to summer grazing

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

They would be ready to fully utilise spring grass.
    The smallest of My autumn heifers from last yr are 250kgs

How long did those heifers get at grass when they were calved? When did ya house them, if ya don't mind me asking.

Surely a spring and a summers grass in those early stages of growth means more growth overall in the next 2 years? Early growth is far more important is it not, given the rate of frame growth and how little fat in laid down at this time. Is that not the reason calf crunches have 18% protein and weanling ration is generally 17%? I know for a fact, we bought calves far later this year than ever before (June/July) and they're only really kicking on now, would seem wasteful to have to be housing them, and if they were born earlier they'd have a far better weight-age ratio, if you get me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Wouldn't fancy that especially if Friesian. They would be 30 months March 2017 - hard to finish then. Also that would involve three Winters.

Good loser wrote: »
    Wouldn't fancy that especially if Friesian. They would be 30 months March 2017 - hard to finish then. Also that would involve three Winters.

Feck to that

Damo810 wrote: »
    How long did those heifers get at grass when they were calved? When did ya house them, if ya don't mind me asking.

Surely a spring and a summers grass in those early stages of growth means more growth overall in the next 2 years? Early growth is far more important is it not, given the rate of frame growth and how little fat in laid down at this time. Is that not the reason calf crunches have 18% protein and weanling ration is generally 17%? I know for a fact, we bought calves far later this year than ever before (June/July) and they're only really kicking on now, would seem wasteful to have to be housing them, and if they were born earlier they'd have a far better weight-age ratio, if you get me?
    There out since late january.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anyone know what sort of money angus bull calves are making or if there are many around?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,236 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Anyone know what sort of money angus bull calves are making or if there are many around?
    150 at 1 week old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I think you would be better going to Carnaross at those prices Whelan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

true i was giving €130 for AAX heifers and €180 for the bulls

Id love to have the place full of heifers

true i was giving €130 for AAX heifers and €180 for the bulls

Id love to have the place full of heifers

Why?
    Bulls not be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Why?
    Bulls not be better?

Heifers suit me better tbh . Also have the option of bulling and selling in calf

If i could pick up 30 BWH & AAX heifers id be a happy camper

Heifers suit me better tbh . Also have the option of bulling and selling in calf

If i could pick up 30 BWH & AAX heifers id be a happy camper

As calfs? Wh weren't as plentiful this spring I tought.
    Lots of aa all the same!

carnaross is the guts of an hour from me.... ardee mart down the road. Have a buyer out of yard which is worth more than spending a day at the mart. Has anyone been at a mart recently to see the prices?

Why?
    Bulls not be better?
    calf dealer said theres feck all demand for beef bull calves at the minute- maybe he was telling fibs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

calf dealer said theres feck all demand for beef bull calves at the minute- maybe he was telling fibs
    If one is to believe what the factories are saying then the traditional breeds are what is wanted, 16 month old smaller carcass etc. Maybe this is starting to filter down and affecting the price of continental calves as the boat would be their only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭grange mac

I'm looking for them and not alone in that...can't be got. Fellas keepn weanlings but they are getting heavy now and guys expecting 3.00e for a 350kg weanling is madness. All them weanlings will come when weather turns & then the fun will start.

grange mac wrote: »
    I'm looking for them and not alone in that...can't be got. Fellas keepn weanlings but they are getting heavy now and guys expecting 3.00e for a 350kg weanling is madness. All them weanlings will come when weather turns & then the fun will start.
    there's very few calving at the minute

• Advertisement

grange mac wrote: »

Now ya said it. Big glut then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What would a limx heifer about a month old be worth ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    250 at least

Crossed with FR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Reggie. wrote: »
    Crossed with FR

Yup

Yup

250 would about right. I normally buy my AAX bulls for 230 at 4-5 weeks old in March

any one sell anything recently? what are good bf bulls making 2 weeks old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Sold 11 bull calves circa ten days old. Averaged €66/head. And I threw in 3 sets of twins for free!!
    Not even beer money really.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Sold 11 bull calves circa ten days old. Averaged €66/head. And I threw in 3 sets of twins for free!!
    Not even beer money really.

Would ya ship to Ireland :D

• Advertisement

any one sell anything recently? what are good bf bulls making 2 weeks old

80e around 4 weeks

Advertisement