Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burrito Place in Town [Poll Updated]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Nothing worse than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

sugarman wrote: »
    As for extras, here we pay for everything. jalapenos, guaco, sour creme etc.. never encountered it in the US.

I agree with this (born and raised in US). You don't pay extra for these things in any burrito place I've been over there. In fact some of them even give you free chips and salsa while you wait :eek: (and all of the eat-in Mexican restaurants do).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I don't see the point in drawing comparisons with America tbh, is this not a thread on the best in Dublin?

Food is generally better in America, that's kinda obvious I would have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

I was in the hungry mexican a week ago and as much as I wanted to like it, I was very disappointed. Nachos has very little toppings, very little cheeze. It also felt like the nacho chips were ones you can get from Tescos. Enchillada was filled with rice and very little meat inside. Service was not good as well.

Thats what think very poor fillings for maxuim profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Lashing down tonight and would murder a burrito bowl from Boojum. Unfortunately not trekking out in that weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Had a burrito in Burritos and Blues on South Anne St. last night for the first time in over a year and while the ingredients were fresh and good quality the burrito was extremely wet and messy with sauce even between the foil wrapping and the flour tortilla. It made the whole experience very messy even though it was tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Had Tolteca today and I wasnt impressed. There is hardly any beef and the beef was very tough like it hadnt been slowed cooked long enough. The place feels a bit lifeless compared to boojum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

hfallada wrote: »
    Had Tolteca today and I wasnt impressed. There is hardly any beef and the beef was very tough like it hadnt been slowed cooked long enough. The place feels a bit lifeless compared to boojum.

Really cant stand that place, although only been once. Have eaten in good few of the burrito places and this has been the worst. Terrible salsa, poorly cooked chicken just tasted bland and not marinated. Fillings all lacked taste. I finished it out of necessity really as needed to eat. Burrito & Blues on Wexford st i used to like, their one on Stephen St was bad, Pablo Picante is savage and Boojum is delicious (burrito bowl for me all the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Totally agree on Tolteca having little atmosphere. I think the tall ceiling doesn't do it any favours, and it's really never as busy as it should be given its central location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

beefy78 instead of hiding behind a computer screen and asking Toltecca to increase their portion sizes would you not just say it directly to them yourselves? Nobody is a mind reader and in the case of David from B and B's above you can see that businesses APPRECIATE feedback.

I dunno if they do appreciate feedback. I'm vegan myself, so I ordered a vegetable burrito with no cheese. When asked what beans I wanted, brown or black, I asked for the brown. After they we're put on it, and upon seeing it was a vegetarian burrito, one of them behind the counter informed me they were in fact cooked in bacon. No problem, not the fault of the server and they offered to fix it no bother. Only later did I realise they have the pinto beans listed as an option under "Vegetarian", which is definitely a problem as some may not be as understanding and the server might not think to inform the person buying it; it could even cause illness in some cases. So I emailed suggesting the pinto beans shouldn't be listed under vegetarian if they should be cooked in bacon, got no reply. I haven't been in since as I didn't really think much of the burrito anyway (no balance to anything, it was just bland vaguely spicy stuff in a wrap) but as far as I know there hasn't been a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I think the Tolteca on Upper Baggot Street is much better than city centre spot. It shouldn't be any different, but the Ballsbridge location is more cozy and feels hip and friendly at lunch. I would rate the quality and taste somewhere in the middle of the pack but certainly above average IMHO.

They used to put a variety of hot sauces on the table to help yourself but a couple of times they were nowhere to be found :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I think the Tolteca on Upper Baggot Street is much better than city centre spot. It shouldn't be any different, but the Ballsbridge location is more cozy and feels hip and friendly at lunch. I would rate the quality and taste somewhere in the middle of the pack but certainly above average IMHO.

They used to put a variety of hot sauces on the table to help yourself but a couple of times they were nowhere to be found :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The Suffolk St one had the Cholula sauce up with the napkins, no other varieties though. I went the other day for the first time. Wouldn't really rate it at all. Very small portion for the price compared to most of the other places. Found that the chicken and rice had no flavour, and got a tiny streak of sour cream and hot sauce. I got the hottest sauce on the menu and it really wasn't that hot! I haven't been north side in a while, I'll have to go treat myself to a Boojum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭FollatonWood

I'm a vegan and Pablos have my order ready before I even open the door these days - they literally see me coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I voted for Pablos on the new poll, but went in yesterday and was disappointed. First of all, uniquely among the burrito places in town they charge for sour cream. 60 cent is criminal for a bit of sour cream that is free everywhere else. I asked for a small amount, but when I got it the burrito was swimming in sour cream and it's all you could taste.

What made that worse was their on-table hot sauces, which I think they make on site and are a real highlight of the place (nothing wrong with cholula though), were nowhere to be found. All in all a big climb down from their previous standards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Q)How do you know when somebody is a vegan?

A)They'll bloody well tell you.

I voted for Pablos on the new poll, but went in yesterday and was disappointed. First of all, uniquely among the burrito places in town they charge for sour cream. 60 cent is criminal for a bit of sour cream that is free everywhere else. I asked for a small amount, but when I got it the burrito was swimming in sour cream and it's all you could taste.

What made that worse was their on-table hot sauces, which I think they make on site and are a real highlight of the place (nothing wrong with cholula though), were nowhere to be found. All in all a big climb down from their previous standards.

Rip Off never again, Must try Boojam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭FollatonWood

chopper6 wrote: »

The only time I need to tell people is when they ask - i.e when we're eating out.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

chopper6 wrote: »

There was a point to saying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

While not necessarily burrito's, was in K Chido on Chancery Street today and was amazing. Had the soft shell tacos, rice and beans under them, nacho's with chorizo..... amazing. Really really good food

Anyone see the quesarito that burritos and blues are starting today? Looks ridiculous, think it's an idea taken from chipotle grill in America. Burrito wrapped in a quesadilla. Could be a heart attack inducing game changer.

EDIT: I'm not promoting this by the way, they seem to be doing it pretty heavily themselves. It could turn out to be awful too. They still need to sort out their preference for refried beans over whole beans

Saw something on FB about that alright but wasn't ready to take on the challenge.
    The oonly place they can take it now is to cover it in batter and deep fry the whole damn thing

PauloConn wrote: »
    Saw something on FB about that alright but wasn't ready to take on the challenge.
    The oonly place they can take it now is to cover it in batter and deep fry the whole damn thing

I just ate it and I'm still in the place right now having talked to the owner a bit about it. I liked it, have to say, although you can forget about eating the whole thing without a knife and fork, it's too big four that, and the outside wrap being the same size as the inside means it can't hold together. It is lovely and crispy, which is, as the man said to me, the real point of the thing. When it falls apart that's compromised a bit. Lots of cheese and an extra wrap means it's probably very high in calories. If you care about that. I don't. I'd recommend giving it a lash, for sure. Arrive hungry though.

He told me as well they have a Grande where they make a burrito with two kind of overlapping wraps. That sounds farcical, if never manage it. He said rugby players eat it. Presume he means the forwards.

So yeah it's not perfect by any means, it falls apart a bit, but worth a try. And the guy was genuinely interested in my actual opinion. I know he reads this too, so to him: I'll take my payment for this planted review in the form of free beer.

Looks like its going to be a big lifting session in the gym this saturday followed by this for lunch.... can't wait already

Anyone see the quesarito that burritos and blues are starting today? Looks ridiculous, think it's an idea taken from chipotle grill in America. Burrito wrapped in a quesadilla. Could be a heart attack inducing game changer.

EDIT: I'm not promoting this by the way, they seem to be doing it pretty heavily themselves. It could turn out to be awful too. They still need to sort out their preference for refried beans over whole beans

If you eat it is it free?

Hootanany wrote: »
    If you eat it is it free?

The grande? No. If it was I'd go for it, I've eaten a burrito in the past and knew I could do another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

As a critic of Tolteca on Baggot Street in this thread in the past I have to say that I popped in there on Friday and had a pretty decent pork burrito. Much bigger than the little wrap that I got there a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Had the Pork Burrito in Tolteca on Suffolk St. today and have go say it was underwhelming to say the least. The least satisfactory Burrito I have had to date and I've been to most if not all the Burrito places in town. The ingredients were just bland and uninspired and lacking the flavour that one would expect to be oozing from a Burrito. The server just ladled the ingredients onto the Burrito without much purpose but at least it was only €5.00.

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    The server just ladled the ingredients onto the Burrito without much purpose.

Fair enough, I actually agree tolteca is a bit bland, but what exactly were you expecting the server to do?

Advertisement