Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Cahill is unlikely to start on Sunday. He'll be given every chance obviously but he's very unlikely at this stage to play any part on Sunday.

It's likely to be Curran in at Full Back, bring Barrett back into the full back line and play Paudie at Wing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Cahill is a loss if that's true

Cahill is a loss if that's true

A huge loss. Have a feeling Tom Stapleton will come in to the backs instead. Honest and solid player but hasnt the pace for the intercounty game.

Sutcliffe or O'Dwyer could go to town on Stapleton

Sutcliffe or O'Dwyer could go to town on Stapleton

The thoughts of that match up....shudder.

• Advertisement

A huge loss. Have a feeling Tom Stapleton will come in to the backs instead. Honest and solid player but hasnt the pace for the intercounty game.

Thomas Stapleton would cause a huge imbalance in that full back line. Paudie would be far more exposed without Cahill there. Curran coming in would bring more stability at the edge of the square. It's not an easy option either way but I don't think the team named will start. I think both the half back and full back line will need changes.

I wouldn't risk Cahill for this match. I think him training during the week was a massive mistake. He's a huge risk.

what's the injury?

What's the injury?

Whatever about Tom Stapleton - i think McGrath in the backs would be worse...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/premier-sweating-on-cahill-fitness-276829.html

It's a bit insensitive to lump in details about a mans recent death into an article about an injury...nevermind leading with the injury....

Cahill hasn't trained properly all week. Knee was strapped up.

Team will start as:

Gleeson
    Stapleton
    P. Maher
    Barrett
    B. Maher
    Barry
    Bergin
    S. McGrath
    Woodlock
    Ryan
    P. Maher
    O'Dwyer
    N. McGrath
    Callanan
    Corbett

Not confident with that at all.

• Advertisement

We'll need huge performances from the Mahers, Barry, Woodlock, Callanan, and Corbett to get us through this one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

glued wrote: »
    Cahill hasn't trained properly all week. Knee was strapped up.

Team will start as:

Gleeson
    Stapleton
    P. Maher
    Barrett
    B. Maher
    Barry
    Bergin
    S. McGrath
    Woodlock
    Ryan
    P. Maher
    O'Dwyer
    N. McGrath
    Callanan
    Corbett

Not confident with that at all.

Your not confident because we have had to make 1 change in personnel and a couple of positional changes or your just not confident at all? BTW that is the team allright so people can calm down speculating about Stapo playing

Your not confident because we have had to make 1 change in personnel and a couple of positional changes or your just not confident at all? BTW that is the team allright so people can calm down speculating about Stapo playing

Yeah; taking Cahill out of the defense severely weakens the team. Not that hard to get your head around really...

Cahill is a big player - and is good at running out with the ball - and inspirational defensive work - big loss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Cahill is a big player - and is good at running out with the ball - and inspirational defensive work - big loss

Huge loss. Our best defender in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Best of luck to the footballers later on, victory would be fantastic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Hard luck to the Tipp footballers,never gave up,they had a great year it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Well done to the footballers, if they could build on it for next year we will continue to improve. Thought they should have gone for goals sooner. Conceding two after half time was game over.

On the hurling cahill would be a huge loss, hes tipps best player and to bring in shane mcgrath would make no sense. He tries hard but he hasnt played well for 3 or 4 years for tipp and the fella he is marking has sometimes gone to town. Michael fennelly in the 11 all ireland and the limerick midfield in this years championship. Have we any pacey defender? Both mcgrath and stapleton dont have the pace required against a pacey forward.

Maybe barrett to corner and ronan maher or john meagher to the wing if hes fit. Id bring in curran rather than changing a few lines of the field. bergin and woodlock have a good understanding and are our best midfield combination. Without cahill the dubs chances increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Well done to Tipperary Footballers for giving us such a great season.

This team will be knocking on the door to get into Division Two of the League next year!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Apparently there has been another change to the starting line up. Seems like the players were told that Curran would be in and then that McGrath would be in and now apparently there has been another change.

Obviously it could all be rubbish but good sources are reporting that there was a few changes to the line up in a couple of days. That certainly can't be helping things!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

glued wrote: »
    Apparently there has been another change to the starting line up. Seems like the players were told that Curran would be in and then that McGrath would be in and now apparently there has been another change.

Obviously it could all be rubbish but good sources are reporting that there was a few changes to the line up in a couple of days. That certainly can't be helping things!

How did that all work out?

Tipp won by 13 points....

Bring on Cork and fcuk the begrudgers!

How did that all work out?

Tipp won by 13 points....

Bring on Cork and fcuk the begrudgers!

Ah here! What a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

I don't think we learned anything from today really tbh, never really looked in any danger of losing but never seemed to want to put the game out of dublins reach either.
    On a sidenote, and I've criticised him a fair bit, but I thought Shane McGrath had an excellent game today.

Mixed weekend. Firstly commiserations to the footballers and fair play to them on leaving absolutely nothing on the field. We met a side with a set of really classy forwards who ruthlessly exposed our weaknesses at a crucial juncture of the game. We are a little naive down the middle and need to strengthen that central spine of the team but we're still young and raw and can only improve from here.

As for the hurlers, well i was extremely despondent after our collapse against Limerick earlier this summer and had low expectations for the months ahead. I questioned the attitude of the players like many others. My feet still remain on the ground although I'm extremely pleased with the attitude of the lads the last three games. They've been terrific. We weren't exactly rip roaring from start to finish but we showed for the ball and we were resilient. That's all you can really ask at the end of the day.

Now we're 70 minutes away from an All Ireland final. We're meeting a very classy Cork side and have a serious battle on our hands but we've no fear of Cork either. Hopefully we can get both Cahill and O'Mahony back for it. I honestly think O'Shea needs to give Denis Maher some serious consideration

There is only one way to describe Lars two early points today

south-park-randy-masturbation.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Mixed weekend. Firstly commiserations to the footballers and fair play to them on leaving absolutely nothing on the field. We met a side with a set of really classy forwards who ruthlessly exposed our weaknesses at a crucial juncture of the game. We are a little naive down the middle and need to strengthen that central spine of the team but we're still young and raw and can only improve from here.

As for the hurlers, well i was extremely despondent after our collapse against Limerick earlier this summer and had low expectations for the months ahead. I questioned the attitude of the players like many others. My feet still remain on the ground although I'm extremely pleased with the attitude of the lads the last three games. They've been terrific. We weren't exactly rip roaring from start to finish but we showed for the ball and we were resilient. That's all you can really ask at the end of the day.

Now we're 70 minutes away from an All Ireland final. We're meeting a very classy Cork side and have a serious battle on our hands but we've no fear of Cork either. Hopefully we can get both Cahill and O'Mahony back for it. I honestly think O'Shea needs to give Denis Maher some serious consideration

He should have came on for lar or noel Not long into the second half can't afford to be carrying two passengers especially Not against cork

Great to see Shane McGrath come in and play so well. Not a whole lot to take from that game. Dublin were so negative and so poor it's hard to gauge where we are really at right now. We played really well in spells today but we can only beat what's in front of us. There looks like there is a good bit left in these guys too. I'm just going to enjoy being back in an All-Ireland semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There is only one way to describe Lars two early points today

south-park-randy-masturbation.jpg

Two great points, but he seemed to completely dissappear after that!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

buggy beag wrote: »
    He should have came on for lar or noel Not long into the second half can't afford to be carrying two passengers especially Not against cork

I thought Lar done really well tbh but no good ball went into him. Noel to be fair to him took a bad knock in that first half and shouldn't have been left on. I thought Gar Ryan was poor and not for the first time. He looks miles off the pace. Denis was going well in the league and should be starting. He hasnt put a foot wrong for us

• Advertisement

Two great points, but he seemed to completely dissappear after that!

We need to start getting that ball into the two of Lar/Seamie/Bubbles more though.

If i have criticism today its that Dublin seemed to have a spare man in that right wing back position for alot of that game. We seemed to have too many too far out the field.

Overall I think Lar is having a fine championship to be honest. This is a player of 33 we have to remember and he has showed some unreal ability. Still as athletic as ever.

Advertisement