Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

I can't remember ever seeing so many punctures while watching cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

greenspurs wrote: »
    Caravan wasnt a patch on Le Tour's one in 98 though .....
    YEah think we got short-changed on that one.

Left all the good stuff in Italy.

I suppose a lot of it would be adertising Italian products

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

Shedite27 wrote: »
    YEah think we got short-changed on that one.

Left all the good stuff in Italy.

I suppose a lot of it would be adertising Italian products

Agreed, caravan was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Spoilers are only prohibited in the forum until midnight on the day of the stage. Any time after that, and it's not safe to be on the forum.
    Lesson learned just assumed I'd be safe. Ignoring boards and the giro!!
    Heaven forbid:-))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Interesting article on how the transfer back to Italy worked. Teams actually went Monday morning instead.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-back-on-home-soil-with-first-of-three-rest-days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

An interesting tweet from Dan Martin this morning suggests that Garmin had no option but to seek surgery for Dan & Koldo Fernandez in Dublin - pretty poor show by RCS, but then again, rider welfare has never been high on the list of promoter concerns. I wonder where it was performed............Blackrock, Beacon?

Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 ·21m
    Feel very lucky to have such great family/friends who visited and organised surgery for me and Koldo in Dublin. NHS/RCS left us high and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    An interesting tweet from Dan Martin this morning suggests that Garmin had no option but to seek surgery for Dan & Koldo Fernandez in Dublin - pretty poor show by RCS, but then again, rider welfare has never been high on the list of promoter concerns. I wonder where it was performed............Blackrock, Beacon?

Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 ·21m
    Feel very lucky to have such great family/friends who visited and organised surgery for me and Koldo in Dublin. NHS/RCS left us high and dry

Saw an interview with the head of RCS where he said that the hospitals in Belfast were fully booked, could not perform Dan's surgery and would not prioritize them and "nor should they" he also commented.

I'd agree that ordinary people shouldn't be bumped for a professional cyclist but it does show a lack of contingency planning by RCS that the surgery couldn't be performed in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry I'd have thought. Best place in the country for athlete injurues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

From David Tanner's blog......
    Bonjourno from Italy! I’m saying that with a big smile on my face as I’m really happy to be back in the sunshine. The hospitality of Ireland was absolutely fantastic, but the weather didn’t exactly make the racing so much fun. Even the Italians had a grin from ear to ear with a 6:30am departure from the hotel yesterday morning!

I do have to say though, I was really impressed with the reception the whole race received. Ireland really got behind the whole event and I was amazed at the number of spectators braving the wet and windy conditions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jawgap wrote: »

Roche just twitted a photo of pissing rain in bari

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry I'd have thought. Best place in the country for athlete injurues

That's where all the top riders get their collarbones fixed.

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

buffalo wrote: »
    That's where all the top riders get their collarbones fixed.

:D

Santry the business and tbh personally wouldn't let anyone other than James Colville or someone recommended by him near collarbone surgery. A truly class at and great surgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

Anyone else get the feeling that the riders effectively neutralised the racing along the clontarf road? They let the last break man linger out in front as the coasted along in a flat line across the front of the bunch until they were clear of the extremely treacherous road surface there. I drove the stretch about 30min after them and it was actually fairly embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

tactics (according to sean kelly). Leave the lad out there, it will discourage other people from attempting to breakaway in the final kms.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yep, they knocked it off because they were going to make the catch too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Yep, they knocked it off because they were going to make the catch too soon.

they made the calculayshin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Valentine1 wrote: »
    Saw an interview with the head of RCS where he said that the hospitals in Belfast were fully booked, could not perform Dan's surgery and would not prioritize them and "nor should they" he also commented.

I'd agree that ordinary people shouldn't be bumped for a professional cyclist but it does show a lack of contingency planning by RCS that the surgery couldn't be performed in Belfast.

I would agree too, they went into the nhs system in the North which is a first come first served basis, he didn't want wait so had go private don't think it reflects on any health system really and was silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Jawgap wrote: »

will be doing an interview with David soon i hope lovely lad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

RobFowl wrote: »
    Santry the business and tbh personally wouldn't let anyone other than James Colville or someone recommended by him near collarbone surgery. A truly class at and great surgeon.

I got a recommendation from a doctor friend (among others) for Hannan Mullett. Very happy with his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Think it's a bit fly of Dan Martin to slag the NHS to be honest.

Anyone coming to A&E in Belfast will be triaged, will eventually see a doc and will be dealt with appropriately, which is often conservatively for something like a collar bone.

The only ones who have let him down are the organisers, they could easily have lined up private medical care for this type of eventuality and could do on demand surgery. There are loads of surgeons capable of doing this privately in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

el tel wrote: »
    Think it's a bit fly of Dan Martin to slag the NHS to be honest.

Anyone coming to A&E in Belfast will be triaged, will eventually see a doc and will be dealt with appropriately, which is often conservatively for something like a collar bone.

The only ones who have let him down are the organisers, they could easily have lined up private medical care for this type of eventuality and could do on demand surgery. There are loads of surgeons capable of doing this privately in Belfast.

I would have thought rider insurance or team insurance which they all must have in such a dangerous sport would cover hospital care/surgery
    The NHS is good but you have wait in line unless an emergency
    The Giro people may not cover non emergency care ....maybe its part of the terms of riding the race that riders/team sort their own insurance

What's the public consensus with people riding around wearing replica Pink Giro jerseys? Standard "You don't wear a world champs jersey" rules or is there an exception made for the Giro start here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

happytramp wrote: »
    What's the public consensus with people riding around wearing replica Pink Giro jerseys? Standard "You don't wear a world champs jersey" rules or is there an exception made for the Giro start here?

I'm gonna go with.... Non é possibile

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'm not a cyclist at all really but I think that attitude is a bit mad.

I'm a sports fan. I enjoy seeing guys wearing their team colours whether its Gaa, Soccer, Rugby or Cycling.

I know its slightly different for Champions jerseys, because Its a big thing for guys to earn them, but its not like guys earned the right to play for Man United or Line out for Munster when they wear the jerseys either.

The Leinster jerseys have 3 stars on them to signify the 3 Heineken Cups they won. The lads down the pub didn't play any of those games, in fact some of the younger players on the team didn't play in any of those games, but they still wear the stars. It doesn't lessen the feat of winning those Heineken Cups for the actual players.

Someone isn't pretending to big a big dog by wearing a Pink Giro jersey or a KOM Polka dot jersey. It doesn't lessen the value of the real jersey for the riders that win them.

Whatever about the Champions jerseys, the team jerseys would be worn as a sign of admiration for that team's riders. If I owned a Garmin/Saxo/Sky jersey, I would have worn it in Belfast to support the Irish lads no problem.

Might be unpopular, but that's my point of view, from an outside looking in point of view.

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/aug/20/amateur-cyclists-wear-replica-champion-jersey

Both sides of the coin represented here. I can understand the other point of view. I suppose my problem is that I'm coming from a Sports Fan background and not a traditional cycling background, where wearing your team colours is standard. I obviously do not understand the true symbolism behind the Mailliot Jaune/Maglia Rosa/rainboww Stripes (though I fully understand and appreciate the sacrifice and effort that goes into winning them).

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I'm not a cyclist at all really but I think that attitude is a bit mad.

I'm a sports fan. I enjoy seeing guys wearing their team colours whether its Gaa, Soccer, Rugby or Cycling.

I know its slightly different for Champions jerseys, because Its a big thing for guys to earn them, but its not like guys earned the right to play for Man United or Line out for Munster when they wear the jerseys either.

The Leinster jerseys have 3 stars on them to signify the 3 Heineken Cups they won. The lads down the pub didn't play any of those games, in fact some of the younger players on the team didn't play in any of those games, but they still wear the stars. It doesn't lessen the feat of winning those Heineken Cups for the actual players.

Someone isn't pretending to big a big dog by wearing a Pink Giro jersey or a KOM Polka dot jersey. It doesn't lessen the value of the real jersey for the riders that win them.

Whatever about the Champions jerseys, the team jerseys would be worn as a sign of admiration for that team's riders. If I owned a Garmin/Saxo/Sky jersey, I would have worn it in Belfast to support the Irish lads no problem.

Might be unpopular, but that's my point of view, from an outside looking in point of view.

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/aug/20/amateur-cyclists-wear-replica-champion-jersey

Both sides of the coin represented here. I can understand the other point of view. I suppose my problem is that I'm coming from a Sports Fan background and not a traditional cycling background, where wearing your team colours is standard. I obviously do not understand the true symbolism behind the Mailliot Jaune/Maglia Rosa/rainboww Stripes (though I fully understand and appreciate the sacrifice and effort that goes into winning them).

Why wear it then?

Of course it lessens the value. It's like winning a gold medal in the Olympics and seeing every fat c@@t you pass on the street wearing one around their neck.

Winning an award of the kind of the Maglia Rosa or Maillot jaune is something relatively few people have ever done. You wear the jersey with pride because you suffered and sacrificed to win it.

In my eyes only "sports fans" or "fair weathers" wear them, they'd just be as happy wearing a Tap Out hoodie, cos really, it gives the same message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It's nonsense if you ask me. Can't believe how worked up some people get about it. There are children dying of hunger, people persecuted because of their religion, populations living in fear of despotic rulers... And then you have someone who rides a bicycle or kicks a leather ball around getting upset over what someone else is wearing. Boo hoo... These people have too high an opinion of themselves is all.

Paddigol wrote: »
    It's nonsense if you ask me. Can't believe how worked up some people get about it. There are children dying of hunger, people persecuted because of their religion, populations living in fear of despotic rulers... And then you have someone who rides a bicycle or kicks a leather ball around getting upset over what someone else is wearing. Boo hoo... These people have too high an opinion of themselves is all.

tumblr_l9fyefWTuW1qzoa9f.jpg

Paddigol wrote: »

Yourself included buddy. You seem mighty annoyed that someone has a strong opinion about something you don't care about...... why waste your time, think of the children persecution etc etc...

Anyway so that's a no on the pink Jersey? Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Why wear it then?

Of course it lessens the value.

It only lessens the value if the likes of Roche and Hinault stroll around town in their yellow jerseys. Does anyone actually think that there's a danger of someone mistaking a yellow-jersey wearing cyclist as a past winner of the TDF???

• Advertisement

Anyway so that's a no on the pink Jersey? Fair enough.

Only me saying it so far, and as you well know, I'm a fascist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement