Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Paddigol

So we're agreed then; it's ridiculous to get worked up over what some chooses to wear while cycling a bicycle? Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

Only me saying it so far, and as you well know, I'm a fascist.

The velominati would probably agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Paddigol

happytramp wrote: »
    Yourself included buddy. You seem mighty annoyed...

I'll stop you there - I'm really not. Perhaps you mistook my incredulous disbelief for annoyance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

EDIT: Actually its totally off topic. Fúck it :P I don't understand it, but there is plenty of things in the world that I don't understand.

I'll file it under difference in opinion and move on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think comparing it with wearing a jersey of a football or rugby team doesn't work. In cycling the yellow/pink jersey is the prize. I'd compare it with buying a replica trophy or medal - just why? Unless it's cheaper than ones of equal quality, I think it looks pretentious. My two cents.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    EDIT: Actually its totally off topic. Fúck it :P I don't understand it, but there is plenty of things in the world that I don't understand.

I'll file it under difference in opinion and move on.

Actually I thought you made a good point about why it's more acceptable with other sports.

Someone once likened it to.... grown man playing 5 a side on a Thursday in a man utd jersey = Fine

A grown man turning up for a 5 a side on a Thursday night in full man utd strip with matching socks = Weird.

Anyway I felt that maybe that wearing the 'Irish' pink jersey might be seen more as a homage rather than a statement about my ability. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

So of these things what is acceptable (I'm trying to learn):

1.- Turning up to the Giro wearing a OPQS T-Shirt/Hoodie/Favourite team merch.
    2.- Turning up to the Giro wearing a Tinkoff-Saxo Jersey and jeans/tracksuit pants
    3.- Turning up to the Giro wearing a BMC Jersey/Shorts combo with your bike
    4.- Turning up to the Giro wearing the Maglia Rosa
    5.- Turning up to the TDF wearing the Lampre WC jersey to support Rui Costa
    6.- Turning up to the TDF wearing the Green Sprinters jersey for Sagan
    7.- Turning up to a local race wearing anything other then a club jersey/non branded jersey

From the outside: I'd say 1,2,4,5,6 should be acceptable.

However, from what I've read only Number 1 or even none of the above would be acceptable if you don't want to look like a complete "fred". :P

No 3. Is defo the equivalent of grown man in full utd strip but with added man utd ball

No. 5, 6 are acceptable if also holding a Slovak, Portuguese flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have worn a really nice replica of the maglia rosa with Mapei shorts, socks, armwarmers and cap.
    I got three punctures that day and ended up having to call the missus to get a lift home.
    Lesson learned.

I actually took the Maglia Rose out of the attic a few weeks ago as my wife is an organiser of a Pink Rubbin breast cancer charity walk this weekend. I am marshalling and may do so in my pink jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

What is the prodcedure for *liberating* Giro roadsigns? I think someone mentioned something about Oxfam doing a charity collection in the North, was anything similar set up in the South? There are a couple of nice ones still hanging around near my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

check_six wrote: »
    What is the prodcedure for *liberating* Giro roadsigns? I think someone mentioned something about Oxfam doing a charity collection in the North, was anything similar set up in the South? There are a couple of nice ones still hanging around near my house.

I spotted a few and I'll be taking them. Dead of night of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I spotted a few and I'll be taking them. Dead of night of course.

do us a favour and grab one for me if you can? There are none up around my way. I even went down to were Astana crashed to see if there were bottles or carbon wheels discarded by the side of the road, but no such luck.

Cycled the last 68k of the route this morning. Lovely morning for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I asked this in the stage thread but may get an answer here

What happened with the PSNI/Gardaí outriders on the road when the race crossed the border? Did the PSNI all just pull in and were there a whole load of garda cars waiting to go once the psni arrived? Looking at the road they were on when they crossed, it wasn't very big, and both sides are very careful not to cross into the others jurisdiction

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gavb

lennymc wrote: »
    they made the calculayshin. :)

Are you sure? I thought they were playing the waiting game. :)

lennymc wrote: »
    do us a favour and grab one for me if you can? There are none up around my way. I even went down to were Astana crashed to see if there were bottles or carbon wheels discarded by the side of the road, but no such luck.

Cycled the last 68k of the route this morning. Lovely morning for it.

Come with me... we'll have an adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

Now how the hell did that end up in my spare room?
    Must've been the wind......:D

307030.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'll see your mysterious sign, and raise you...

qdmhzt5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

furiousox wrote: »

Don't be making excuses now there's no way the wind blew a treadmill into your spare room!:P

Triathlon forum --->
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1527

Ryath wrote: »
    Don't be making excuses now there's no way the wind blew a treadmill into your spare room!:P

Triathlon forum --->
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1527

Also... CDs are so passé

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Don't be making excuses now there's no way the wind blew a treadmill into your spare room!:P...

That belongs to Mrs furiousox, honest. :D

CPL 593H

Also... CDs are so passé

Over 1500 in the collection, stuck with them now. :(

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

307030.jpg

Funny that. There's one of those in my garage, the poster, that is.

Very windy in Drogheda lately....:pac:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Over 1500 in the collection, stuck with them now. :(

I put all mine in a box a few months ago. Went to lift the box to put them in the attic, Jesus, the box was a tonne weight, had to empty the box first and repack in the attic.

Back to the cycling. Problem with the tour of California being shown live means there's no highlights of the days Giro until midnight, on Eurosport anyway. Sky have it at 10.30, no use to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

House owner: Some little scumbag just took a p*** outside my front door. Oh no wait, it was the maglia rosa! :pac:

tumblr_n5sd4mZub61ropreyo1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

^^^ I didn't realise that he had the jersey in Ireland. Looks like one of our unfinished ghost estates!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

https://twitter.com/angel_vicioso/status/468344122395623424

Good to see Angel Vicioso up and in good form, it was a hell of a crash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Did you see the clip there off the helicopter close to the riders. reminded me of the ending of Mission Impossible 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

https://twitter.com/angel_vicioso/status/468344122395623424

Good to see Angel Vicioso up and in good form, it was a hell of a crash.

I read he has had to retire due to the injury :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement