Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

godtabh wrote: »
    Sky and Saxo tweeted that there second buses are already in Italy. Some support staff will only do Dublin. Some are in Italy etc.

Other equipment is been driven over night/tomorrow

Really shows the kind of money behind those teams

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Could really have done with more publicity really. The route looked like a ghost town today. Disgraceful by Bord Failte, Government, Dublin City Council etc etc.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

is it just me or is paul kimmage been really quiet the last while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Could really have done with more publicity really. The route looked like a ghost town today. Disgraceful by Bord Failte, Government, Dublin City Council etc etc.
    ;)

What part of the route were you looking at. The finish was packed and the highlights on the news showed plenty of spectators. Considering it wasn't the warmest day and the premiership it was a decent turnout especially as most spectators would not be able to pick Ben Swift or Kittel out of a lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

Anyone else getting withdrawal symptoms already? :(
    I want a Grand Tour passing by my house EVERY weekend! :D

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had a thought on all the lamppost adverts along the quays and what will happen to them. One may be kept for a museum I imagine for posterity, but what about the rest? Who owns them, DCC or the Giro organisers. They could be given to clubs, or folks organising charity cycles or something such as the LPB auction on here. They'll go to people who would really appreciate them, and raise money for good causes. This came into my head as I thought I'd quite like one, jazz up the room and all that.

I saw one woman ripping off one of the sponsor signs from the barriers on the quays and stuffing it into her bag.
    furiousox wrote: »
    Anyone else getting withdrawal symptoms already? :(
    I want a Grand Tour passing by my house EVERY weekend! :D

Not a grand tour, but the guy who had a big big hand in getting it over here and N. Ireland hinted very heavily that a revived Tour of Ireland was in the works. This came on the back of Roche's comments a few days earlier too.
    He was speaking to BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Shedite27 wrote: »
    ;)

I think shedite 27 has a point. Belfast left you in no doubt a major tour was coming through. Also the Coast road residents did a magnificent job in decoration all up along the coast.

TBH it was kinda hard to spot the pink in Dublin. Was in Belfast, Armagh and Drogheda over the few days.

Stood at an obscure round about near Armagh, as arrived too late to enter the city. Even this obscure roundabout was fully decked.

The motor ways announced a cycle event was closing the R132 from the M1. Belfast told us the Giro D' Italia was causing traffic diversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

my other moment of the weekend was meeting and chating with one of the greats of cycling

BnSP4L_CEAArVgi.jpg

topic of discussion his run of grand tour completions which he attempts to keep going by doing all 3 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

manafana wrote: »
    my other moment of the weekend was meeting and chating with one of the greats of cycling

BnSP4L_CEAArVgi.jpg

topic of discussion his run of grand tour completions which he attempts to keep going by doing all 3 this year.

Sooooooooooooooo jealous ...one of my favs

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

As ever, despite some people thinking it would be a disaster, when hosting a big international event we did ourselves proud. Great crowds and the atmosphere seemed to be as good everywhere along the route as it was where I saw it.

On a personal level had an amazing weekend. Went up Friday morning on first train with the young fella (7). First thing I saw was one of the teams cycling the route with 3 or 4 club riders with them and not a bother on the pros and thought this is going to be good. Enjoyed watching the practise seeing the stars in the flesh.

Then went to start for the race. Its a credit to the riders and teams how close and so much access you get to them. Some of the biggest stars of the sport cycled passed me within inches. At one stage one Omega rider wooshed past my son making him jump and laugh, he could feel the wind from the bike and the team circled around us, like a school of sharks, on the way to the start. He also got a great kick off seeing his hero Dan Martin and also Team Sky. Its also a credit to cycling fans that they can that close and give all due respect to the ridersv and not bothering them. Great atmosphere on the train home and we had great chat with a lad and his daughter from Newry.

This morning I did some of the route between Drogheda. Then watched them come through down the end of my road. It really is great seeing them cycle down your training road and comparing your Strava times to theirs. Any yes, furiosox defo getting withdrawal symptoms. Brilliant, brilliant weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Big crowd of locals (non cycling and cycling enthusiasts) cheering the cyclists on in Raheny by St. Anne's park on the coast road in Dublin, amazing to see the speed and how close they are to each other! Fantastic spectacle, great to see top athletes do what they do best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Weepsie wrote: »
    I had a thought on all the lamppost adverts along the quays and what will happen to them. One may be kept for a museum I imagine for posterity, but what about the rest? Who owns them, DCC or the Giro organisers. They could be given to clubs, or folks organising charity cycles or something such as the LPB auction on here. They'll go to people who would really appreciate them, and raise money for good causes. This came into my head as I thought I'd quite like one, jazz up the room and all that.

I saw one woman ripping off one of the sponsor signs from the barriers on the quays and stuffing it into her bag.

In thr North, Oxfam have been given the right to sell the roadside Giro road closing times signs. They are asking fot a £10 min donation. I think there were either 1700or 7000 signs put up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

neris wrote: »

He was on Today FM this morning lamenting the fact the field is not made up of the best cyclists in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He was on Today FM this morning lamenting the fact the field is not made up of the best cyclists in the world.

Did he mean Froome & Contador who he implies all kind of things about on twiitter...if only they were in Ireland he could continue to have a go ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

ThisRegard wrote: »

Since when has the Giro been made up of the best...I'm a relative noob and all, but I always thought a lot of guys and teams would value the Tour way ahead of d'Giro and Vuelta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

MPFG wrote: »
    Did he mean Froome & Contador who he implies all kind of things about on twiitter...if only they were in Ireland he could continue to have a go ...

have agree he is rarely ever positive pretty impressive giro field what does he want riders to ride all 3 grand tours so he can accuse them of doping to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Weepsie wrote: »

Not a grand tour, but the guy who had a big big hand in getting it over here and N. Ireland hinted very heavily that a revived Tour of Ireland was in the works. This came on the back of Roche's comments a few days earlier too.
    He was speaking to BBC.

https://twitter.com/DubCityCouncil/status/465547780703154176

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

greenmat wrote: »

I spoke to the oxfam people in their tent at the bike show and complimented them on the idea of the charitable donations up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Magical atmosphere on the barriers inside the final 1km; saw the bulging eyeballs of the lead out men and I just cannot believe how Kittel won as he was about 10th wheel passing me at 450m to go; on another note, it never ceases to amaze me why some Irish people link every event to the GAA in some form or another, i.e. I saw a number of GAA "county" flags being waved by spectators. I cannot for the life of me understand why, for example, you would wave a Mayo flag at the Giro d'Italia - nothing against Mayo but for God sake, the event is characterised by the maglia rosa or "pink" jersey. We don't have any pink county colours? Why not fly an Irish flag if nothing else, sure hell, didn't the country have 3 riders entered. And does it really really really matter in the world of pro cycling what "county" each riders parent's decided to live in when their son was born???? (I might get devoured by the Donegal crew here, oooops!)
    But anyway, I think "a good day was had by all" regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Saw the Orica-GreenEdge bus coming out of the airport this morning - presumably dropping people off for flights......

......it managed not to get stuck on anything....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MPFG wrote: »

Not sure, I was listening in the shower after a run and he seemed more miserable than normal so I had no interest in listening to him when I got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gavb

Big thanks to Darkglasses for meeting me in Belfast and giving me a wristband for the team presentation.
    Hope you had a great weekend - I know I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gavb

neris wrote: »

Saw him hanging around the finish line yesterday - he actually had a smile on his face :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

sheepfield wrote: »
    Magical atmosphere on the barriers inside the final 1km; saw the bulging eyeballs of the lead out men and I just cannot believe how Kittel won...
    Not a spoiler as it relates to yesterday's stage, but can we keep this thread to general discussion (including what they get up to on rest days!!) - this sort of stuff is more suited to the stage specific thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Any media reports from Italy as to what they thought of the "Irish Giro" ???

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Well looking at gazzetta website on google translate, their first story is about the bomb found in Dublin... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Beasty wrote: »
    Not a spoiler as it relates to yesterday's stage, but can we keep this thread to general discussion (including what they get up to on rest days!!) - this sort of stuff is more suited to the stage specific thread

Thanks

Devastated carefully avoided everything so I could watch it as live today. Thought I was safe here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Devastated carefully avoided everything so I could watch it as live today. Thought I was safe here.

Spoilers are only prohibited in the forum until midnight on the day of the stage. Any time after that, and it's not safe to be on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

Why would you click into a Giro thread while trying to avoid news about the Giro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I was in skerries to watch it.... Bloody great to see it....
    Caravan wasnt a patch on Le Tour's one in 98 though .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement