Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone successfully rooted that Nook Glowlight? I want to turn it into a simple Aldiko reader with the minimum of fuss.

I successfully rooted the non glowlight version so it should be the same? Very simple process and plenty of guides. I always rather regretted not getting the glowlight version. I'd like it but I just can't face setting eveything up again just for the advantage of a rather mediocre backlight.

Thanks, yeah it seems all the ST tutorials have been updated to do the Glowlight aswell. Can you get rid of all the Barnes and Nobel crap and just have it as a simple reader like Aldiko or Moon+ or Android? Thats what Im most interested in...

You can install a launcher and you'll never even know it was from B&N...I haven't used mine in a while but I did spend some time trying out different things. It's basically a low horsepower e-ink android tablet now.

Excellent picking one up in Dun Laoighre tonight, thanks.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Excellent picking one up in Dun Laoighre tonight, thanks.

You're welcome...hope you're happy with it! It just occurred to me that I remember something about making a backup when rooting my NST. I wonder could I do a backup of my bog standard NST and restore it to the glowlight (after rooting the glowlight of course!)...anybody?

:edit: oops forgot I was in the Argos thread!! Sorry everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

You're welcome...hope you're happy with it! It just occurred to me that I remember something about making a backup when rooting my NST. I wonder could I do a backup of my bog standard NST and restore it to the glowlight (after rooting the glowlight of course!)...anybody?

:edit: oops forgot I was in the Argos thread!! Sorry everyone!

Bought this glowlight a few weeks ago and managed to successfully root it, never having done it before.. . . I also side loaded a kindle app and have loaded up the books from there. Although my 8 year old has now taken control of it. Thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

Tefal TT552842 2 Slice Toast 'n' Egg 'n' Beans Toaster link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

ninty wrote: »

Gimmick ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

ninty wrote: »
    Seen this yesterday on hukd. Very tempted! Yes it is a bit of a gimmick but its gets great reviews and I do love beans on toast!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I have one and find it great for boiled eggs. The toaster is a little shallow but works fine. I can't comment on the beans, don't eat them.
    I probably use it more for eggs than toast to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Seen this yesterday on hukd. Very tempted! Yes it is a bit of a gimmick but its gets great reviews and I do love beans on toast!

I have one. its crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

the_pod wrote: »
    I have one and find it great for boiled eggs. The toaster is a little shallow but works fine. I can't comment on the beans, don't eat them.
    I probably use it more for eggs than toast to be honest.

how long does it take to cook an egg?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

Not sure to be honest - one of the great things is you can just turn it on and walk away. No need to watch or time it. Handy to throw on at night or in the morning so you have a hard boiled egg ready

I'd own one only for the fact that one egg would only make me hungry, wish it could do more but as the comments on HUKD point out, if you have a toaster and a microwave already it's a waste of money.

Got my Nook Glow light last night, spent all day at work rooting it and flashing the 1377 rom and doing all the tweaks and optimizations that the lads on XDA reccomended. Its an amazing bit of kit, I was debating whether I really needed it in Argos because I actually really like reading books on my phone but the minute I read one page on it I knew I was done with reading on anything else. Love the light aswell, way better looking than I expected as a lot of reviews said it was inferior to the Kindle but it's perfect imo, thanks for the link.

Oh my God everyone should have a Nook if they do any reading at all, it is sublime. Ill shut up about it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

Just careful with the nooks as it claims to have 2GB storage , but you can use only 240MB of it .

https://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/thread/7834

Loads of info on the net about this known issue

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

Just careful with the nooks as it claims to have 2GB storage , but you can use only 240MB of it .

https://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/thread/7834

Loads of info on the net about this known issue

Yeah but there's a slot for a micro sd card sooooooo.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Is the nook still affected by the backlight scratch issue or is it a new model?
    http://the-digital-reader.com/2012/05/02/heres-why-you-shouldnt-get-the-new-nooklit/

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

Anyone have problems with the L.G Tv that was on offer in Argos few weeks back? Setup in my neighbours house, but it doesnt pick up all the channels. RTE One for example is missing, but RTE 2 is working. Similar problems with other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ky Abu wrote: »
    Anyone have problems with the L.G Tv that was on offer in Argos few weeks back? Setup in my neighbours house, but it doesnt pick up all the channels. RTE One for example is missing, but RTE 2 is working. Similar problems with other channels.
    Was this the 24" model? If so I bought it and and its working great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Ky Abu wrote: »

One and two are on different mux.
    RTÉ One, UTV Ireland, RTÉjr, RTÉ One +1, Oireachtas TV are on Mux 2 are those the ones you have trouble with?

What area and what mast are you aiming at? Make sure theres no old filters/masthead amps installed in the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The Nook from Argos has an SD slot. I assume it is susceptible to the backlight scratch damage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh my God everyone should have a Nook if they do any reading at all, it is sublime. Ill shut up about it now :D

Hey Thargor, which nook did you get yourself? :)

EDIT: Assuming Argos only have 1 type, I think it's safe to say that you got the same one that I did!

Would you mind linking me to how you rooted and tweaked it, please?

Mine is just sitting there since I bought it, as I haven't got around to doing that yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

muffler wrote: »
    Was this the 24" model? If so I bought it and and its working great.
    Yeah it was this model

moodrater wrote: »
    One and two are on different mux.
    RTÉ One, UTV Ireland, RTÉjr, RTÉ One +1, Oireachtas TV are on Mux 2 are those the ones you have trouble with?

What area and what mast are you aiming at? Make sure theres no old filters/masthead amps installed in the run.

Yeah exactly all those channels missing.

It is in a newly installed wall connection the problem is in. The TV tunes in fine in other rooms in the house where there was an old aerial connection. The Tv is being used in Waterville, Co. Kerry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pretty standard for mobile phones too to have way less space than advertised because of bloatware, SD slot makes it a complete non issue.
    Ageyev wrote: »
    The Nook from Argos has an SD slot. I assume it is susceptible to the backlight scratch damage
    looks like I'll have to get a screen protector in the poundshop :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

A screen protector probably won't prevent the scratch issue as it is caused by dropping something on the screen like keys or coins.

I got a Nook "leather"case from Amazon for £6 which looks like it should protect the screen but it does double the weight.

The Nook is well worth the punt at 40 Euro.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement