Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

€7.99 weighing scales - LINK - other colours available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Hey Thargor, which nook did you get yourself? :)

EDIT: Assuming Argos only have 1 type, I think it's safe to say that you got the same one that I did!

Would you mind linking me to how you rooted and tweaked it, please?

Mine is just sitting there since I bought it, as I haven't got around to doing that yet :D
    Oh sorry mate never saw your post, heres a PM I sent someone else:
    Hi, I used this guide, it was piss easy:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2040351

Then I put the 1337 Rom on it for adding Dropbox and other apps with this guide, a bit more work:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nook...7-rom-t2931567

All working fine now.

Tbh though, after all that I realised if you're just using it as a reader for ebooks then you're better off leaving it as stock and not touching it at all, its pretty much perfect out of the box, adding an Android rom will cost you a tiny bit of battery life even when you shutdown and uninstall everything like Gmail etc.

I really wanted Dropbox on there because I read a lot of books on 3-4 different devices and didn't want to wear out the USB port plugging in and out all the time but if it wasn't for that I would just flash it back to how it came from the factory.

Try it yourself anyway, you can always flash it back to the Stock B&N software if you don't like it with this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1289233

ps: This would have saved me a couple of hours had I known, some guides recommend you delete

AFfileDownloadService.apk
    AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
    DeviceManager.apk
    Shop.apk

Do not delete them! Everything else they recommend can go though. Good luck...
    Tbh I went back to stock soon after that (also easy to do). Its perfect out of the box with a slightly better battery, just wish it had wireless transfer, Dropbox support and the Kindle apps ability to display the blurbs for books is the only thing stock is missing...

EDIT: Broken links, heres fixed versions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2040351

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1289233

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Hey Thargor, do you have a link to the rooting process you used?
    See above, its not all that necessary imo but try it, its easy to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thargor wrote: »

Getting link not found about.

Seems to be cutting some of the urls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

• Advertisement

loki7777 wrote: »

Thanks apologies for the OT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Thanks apologies for the OT!

No problem. This is how it is when You copy sent message:) Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thargor wrote: »

Thargor how does the nook compare to the Kindle Paperwhite ? Are the books in around the same price ? Was there much hassle setting up the Nook as I read somewhere you need a UK address ?

You can install the Kindle app for Android on the Nook so I wouldn't worry about book prices....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

No idea if overdrive is available on the nook but I would suggest looking at that. once your library has overdrive in it its class.
    it allows you to rent ebooks to your device using your library card

• Advertisement

You can install the Kindle app for Android on the Nook so I wouldn't worry about book prices....

I'm not able to Root anything. Tried before and messed up my phone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

€7.99 weighing scales - LINK - other colours available too.
    Out of stock everywhere - http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=833%2F6745

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This seems particularly cheap for a 40" Full HD "brand" TV (to me).

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2746056.htm

Been looking for an excuse to update the Tesco bargain alert TV I got 100 years ago that just won't die. Have a Roku stick so just need a dumb TV.

EDIT: Must have been good - seems out of stock everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Out of stock everywhere

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dades wrote: »

Been looking for an excuse to update the Tesco bargain alert TV I got 100 years ago that just won't die. Have a Roku stick so just need a dumb TV.

Exact model is £299 sterling on Amazon- and has gotten good reviews (av. of 4.3 out of 5.0 from 71 reviews) So- seems to be a good buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Thargor how does the nook compare to the Kindle Paperwhite ? Are the books in around the same price ? Was there much hassle setting up the Nook as I read somewhere you need a UK address ?

This Nook is my first so I dunno how it compares to Kindle.

You can buy books from Amazon and remove DRM (with plugin) and convert to .epub using Calibre, it doesn't take long. I haven't bothered trying to buy books from either the US or UK websites due to the lock - I assume it's not particularly hard but you may need a proxy like Hola to spoof your IP. Madness that you can buy a Nook from Argos but you're locked out from buying books for it through the official channels.

Ageyev wrote: »
    This Nook is my first so I dunno how it compares to Kindle.

You can buy books from Amazon and remove DRM (with plugin) and convert to .epub using Calibre, it doesn't take long. I haven't bothered trying to buy books from either the US or UK websites due to the lock - I assume it's not particularly hard but you may need a proxy like Hola to spoof your IP. Madness that you can buy a Nook from Argos but you're locked out from buying books for it through the official channels.

So you download off the kindle store on your laptop and run the book through Calibre and then plug the Nook into the computer and transfer across ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

emmetkenny wrote: »
    So you download off the kindle store on your laptop and run the book through Calibre and then plug the Nook into the computer and transfer across ?

More or less.

You need to download Kindle for PC, buy the Kindle edition from Amazon, select "deliver to Kindle for PC", locate the file in the Kindle folder on your PC, open file with Calibre and convert to .epub. Calibre will save the original and converted file in a new folder, locate this and transfer to Nook via USB cable connected to PC.

Calibre tries to sync your Nook when connected so I don't run Calibre with the Nook connected but it is a good programme for managing your ebooks.

It's almost as easy to root it using the instructions provided

I used nook manager last night and after an hour was all sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Dades wrote: »

EDIT: Must have been good - seems out of stock everywhere.

50hz refresh rate though, wouldn't be great for watching sports or fast-moving films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

After reading through this thread one phase often is repeated - "Out of stock everywhere"

There are bargains to be had every so often, but it seems that there is normally only a hand full of the last few of any particular item left throughout their stores which is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Access wrote: »
    After reading through this thread one phase often is repeated - "Out of stock everywhere"

There are bargains to be had every so often, but it seems that there is normally only a hand full of the last few of any particular item left throughout their stores which is a pain.

That's why they're a bargain. It's end of the line stuff they want gone so they can effectively remove it from their stock system. Possibly never to be added again. The out of stock EVERYWHERE is because there was maybe 5 left nationwide but they've been reserved by the viewers of this thread.

One part that confuses me is when an item is available for order in some stores but not in others. Surely if it's being ordered in then it could be ordered in by any store. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Denby utensils set
    I think this must be a misprint in price http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1334940/Trail/searchtext%3EDENBY.htm as all the other colours are over €47!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Millem wrote: »
    Denby utensils set
    I think this must be a misprint in price http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1334940/Trail/searchtext%3EDENBY.htm as all the other colours are over €47!

Tried to reserve it but its gone.Says reserve for collection but then says out of stock.Got an email with no reservation number,ame thing happened with the 500gb HDD they had last week.You have to be very quick to get a bargain on Argos :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, had the same result. PITA - my missus have been asking for a spatula!

Just reserved (the denby kitchen set) and got a reservation number- for Liffey Valley........ Their reservation system seems to be completely arbitrary. It wouldn't work for me this morning- I've been out all day- I thought I'd give it another shot- and its worked....... I also got a text advising they would send me a further text when its ready for collection........ I don't know- seems like a weird way to do business...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Millem wrote: »
    Denby utensils set

I would have loved to buy a set of these as a gift for the mother.

Pity their website is, as per usual, sh!t. 'Can be ordered for collection' at my local store - and every other store - yet at the last page it says 'out of stock' despite sending me a blank email with no res. number? :mad: Whatever idiot is responsible for designing this website should be fired.. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just tested it with the other colour of the same set (albeit more expensive), and it worked just fine, despite being the same status of 'can be ordered for collection' - very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Asking19302

Is the Lenovo G50 at €379 at Argos a bargain or not. Looking for laptop and uncertain as there are so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Is the Lenovo G50 at €379 at Argos a bargain or not. Looking for laptop and uncertain as there are so many.
    Seems like a good price but i have a lenovo that was to replace an overused battered vaio.It cost nearly a grand on Amazon but to be honest i hate it and ended up giving it to my daughter and fixing up the Sony with a new SSD and DC jack .The Lenovo buttons are clunky to use and the screen is crap ,terrible tracking pad,i suspect the reviews of Lenovo products on Amazon are less than kosher as it had rave reviews and the quality is just not there.If their higher end models are so bad i would avoid the Argos one like the plague.Oh ,and don't forget the superfish spyware scandal ,Lenovo recently got big fines for deliberately installing spyware on their PC's.

• Advertisement

You are in the wrong place- however- its the equivalent of a quadcore Atom- which boosts up to 2.66Ghz- so the processor is more than sufficient for anything you can throw at it (aside from graphics processing- or modern gaming).

Pro- its a 1 Tb harddrive

Con- the screen is a bit crap- the resolution is 1366x768.

Con- its actually remarkably easy max out 4Gb of RAM.

Con- the graphics use shared system memory.

At 379.99- its a bit of a no-brainer- providing you accept that it won't play modern games.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement