Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Hey Thargor, which nook did you get yourself? :)

EDIT: Assuming Argos only have 1 type, I think it's safe to say that you got the same one that I did!

Would you mind linking me to how you rooted and tweaked it, please?

Mine is just sitting there since I bought it, as I haven't got around to doing that yet :D

Broke my BA cherry on this :)

Stuck a few epubs on a card and was surprised by how easy it was in the eyes
    Will root it at the weeekend
    Btw argos have at least 2 types of nook. The other dearer one is harder to root apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

hollster2 wrote: »

Not great according to this review: http://www.tabletpcreview.com/tabletreview/toshiba-encore-mini-review-wt7-c16/

Good for light use and the full version of Windows 8.1 is a bonus but apparently you only have 2gb of usable on-board storage and the SD card will only take music and video files so you wouldn't get very many apps on it at all. Probably really designed as something to browse the web while you're on the sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

ok great thanks my mum was looking for one i said id check here first :) thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

ok great thanks my mum was looking for one i said id check here first :) thank you.

No problem. Unless it has to be a Windows tablet, there should be plenty of half decent Android alternatives around that price point, provided it's just basic functionality she's looking for. The folks in the Android Devices forum could probably give you plenty of suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

Was looking up laptops today and one I looked at was sold out all over the country. Is this a normal. This was on offer too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

not a lot around so better be quick.. 32 euro for wireless 500 gb hard drive is a great BA

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=346%2F3194

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

lau1247 wrote: »
    not a lot around so better be quick.. 32 euro for wireless 500 gb hard drive is a great BA

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=346%2F3194

Nothing in stock close to me so tried ordering for collection but no reservation number is given. Must be a bit broken today.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Nothing in stock close to me so tried ordering for collection but no reservation number is given. Must be a bit broken today.

not sure about order for collection, I have never tried that.. but at this price, it is probably getting a lot of traffic in the system than normal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Some details on the hard drive in the link below, looks good.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/05/seagate_ces_2015_cloud_external_hard_drive/

• Advertisement

not sure about order for collection, I have never tried that.. but at this price, it is probably getting a lot of traffic in the system than normal

Tried a different store and it worked. Thanks.

It said collection 16th will it still be qt the reduced price?

It said collection 16th will it still be qt the reduced price?

Says the selling price is valid until the 24th so I'd imagine so.

Never noticed that thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Spotted the hard drive on HUKD this morning.. took a punt even though it's very unlikely to be back in at that price I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Tried to order in at all 3 Limerick stores, but I couldn't get a code.
    Just a template mail without a code each time. :(

Dang it anyway, looked like a great bargain Lau!
    The black version is 149.99 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

KAGY wrote: »
    Broke my BA cherry on this :)

Stuck a few epubs on a card and was surprised by how easy it was in the eyes
    Will root it at the weeekend
    Btw argos have at least 2 types of nook. The other dearer one is harder to root apparently

Oh ooh! Now you won't be able to stop!! *maniacal laugh* :D

I gotta figure out how to root this. I took a quick look when I first got it, but I came to the conclusion that I'm very lazy :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tried to order the wireless hard-drive for collection from Liffey Valley.
    Received an e-mail, with no order no. on it.

10 minutes later- received a second e-mail for a 'Adoration chunky sterling silver chain'.

10 minutes later- received an e-mail for a 'Bush wooden stereo DAB radio'......

I have no idea what is happening. If anyone ordered (for Liffeyvalley) either the chunky sterling silver chain- or the Bush DAB radio- and hasn't got their confirmation e-mail- PM me and I'll forward it onto you..........

Now coming up as 'out of stock' if you try to reserve it.........

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Dang it anyway, looked like a great bargain Lau!
    The black version is 149.99 :pac:

Yeah, tis indeed, even if the wireless function is not there it is still a decent price for just the HD

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    Tried a different store and it worked. Thanks.

Glad it works out for you with the code. I picked mine up earlier this morning at 9 before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Yeah, tis indeed, even if the wireless function is not there it is still a decent price for just the HD

Can it be plugged into computer or other device by usb and used that way as well

GY A1 wrote: »
    Can it be plugged into computer or other device by usb and used that way as well

Yes- USB 2.0 though, not USB 3

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

I am right in thinking this device can store movies and you can watch them wirelessly through the app downloaded from the App Store? Might be handy for the plane and holidays.

Thanks for posting.

I am right in thinking this device can store movies and you can watch them wirelessly through the app downloaded from the App Store? Might be handy for the plane and holidays.

Thanks for posting.

Yes. Up to 3 separate users can connect and stream from the device concurrently- and the device itself is battery operated (though I suspect it may eat them.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Got my HD in Stephens Green just now. First time in ages I've managed to get a bargain posted here. :D Thanks OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

The Argos website is shít. Buggy as hell. Blank reservation emails still an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Wireless HDD today taught me, yet again, that it's better to dispense with reading reviews or checking your financial situation and just Bull ON and buy EVERYTHING on BA IMMEDIATELY

I reserved one for collection, took about 7 attempts to get a reservation code. Have to wait till mondsy to find out if they actually have it. Last thing I tried to get was never delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thargor wrote: »
    I'd own one only for the fact that one egg would only make me hungry, wish it could do more but as the comments on HUKD point out, if you have a toaster and a microwave already it's a waste of money.

Got my Nook Glow light last night, spent all day at work rooting it and flashing the 1377 rom and doing all the tweaks and optimizations that the lads on XDA reccomended. Its an amazing bit of kit, I was debating whether I really needed it in Argos because I actually really like reading books on my phone but the minute I read one page on it I knew I was done with reading on anything else. Love the light aswell, way better looking than I expected as a lot of reviews said it was inferior to the Kindle but it's perfect imo, thanks for the link.

Hey Thargor, do you have a link to the rooting process you used?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement