Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Chat Thread #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Shmah wrote: »
    Sorry I'm clueless about tvs and free view / saorview. Can I buy that LG tv and come home from argos, plug it in and get free view channels without an aerial? I live in an apartment and we aren't allowed but aerials / dishes up. There are sky dishes on the roof which cover the whole building but I guess these won't give me saorview!

Have one of these tvs reserved so any advice gratefully welcomed!
    No ,you will need an aerial for saorview.An indoor one might do it but it all depends on the area on how strong the signal is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shmah

ben101 wrote: »
    No ,you will need an aerial for saorview.An indoor one might do it but it all depends on the area on how strong the signal is.

Thanks for that. It says it has a free view digital tuner. Is this different from saorview and will this work without an aerial? (I tried googling but I'm even more confused!)

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Shmah wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It says it has a free view digital tuner. Is this different from saorview and will this work without an aerial? (I tried googling but I'm even more confused!)

Thanks again

Argos being an English company tailor all their descriptions to that market... So yes...it does have a free view tuner for their market...but it also has an mpeg4 tuner inbuilt for Saorview... You will need an indoor aerial, one that is mains powered, and just place it as high as you can, or by a window to give yourself the best chance of a good signal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anything advertised in the Republic as a TV must handle Saorview. No exceptions.

Ask you neighbours about TV aerials they may have already tried. If you are in Dublin and have a clear view of the mountains then you'll probably be OK.

It's a real shame that apartments aren't wired up with communal TV aerial and communal satellite feed from Astra 2. Costs during construction are minimal.

Terrestrial
    All about TV through your aerial, including DTT,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Folks, I ordered this aerial from eBay yesterday. It is good value in my option.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/251344231531?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

27.47€ delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Hi I got this aerial today
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1074815/Trail/searchtext%3ETV+AERIAL.htm

Simply plugged it into the TV (techwood freeview/saorview compatible TV but we don't have an outdoor aerial) and it worked straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can I ask for a ban on any and all further discussion of Saorview on this thread, it's really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

Can I ask for a ban on any and all further discussion of Saorview on this thread, it's really annoying.
    Why? It relates to the product. If it support saorview its a bargain for me. If not and ive to buy other things to enable it then its not as much of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Anything advertised in the Republic as a TV must handle Saorview. No exceptions.
    barneyrub wrote: »
    Why? It relates to the product. If it support saorview its a bargain for me. If not and ive to buy other things to enable it then its not as much of a bargain.

That's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone answer about this TV having saorview a good while back.
    If you buy it and its not saorview compatible just return it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,932 ✭✭✭✭muffler

CH3OH wrote: »
    LG 24MT46 24 Inch Full HD LED TV. 262/7182 at €129.99

The TV is back in stock in all stores except Jervis
    http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=262%2F7182

Up until the 22nd Feb the following promotion is also running
    Spend over €100 and get a €10 gift card
    Does this have saorview?
    Just to stop the moaners nagging about trying to help someone out with a bit of additional info regarding a product they intend buying I can confirm this TV receives the Saorview channels together with Freeview channels (the UK equivalent of our Saorview with digital terrestrial channels received via an aerial)

I bought this telly last week and Id say its the best value for money around for that size anyhow. I havent got round to checking all the features yet but I did insert a USB stick and watched part of a movie I had on it. The remote control has a record button so I assume it does that also but havent checked it yet. The usual DVD, Blue ray player, Sky box etc can be connected to it and it can also be used as a PC monitor as it has a VGA slot.

Sound and picture are very good quality and so far I have no complaints with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So....any Argos bargains around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

vicwatson wrote: »
    So....any Argos bargains around?
    Knock yourself out

http://argos.scanner.today/ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

If you live near these Argoses
    Salt and Pepper Grinder link
    LEGO® Lights Darth Vader Torch link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Sennheiser CX300-II In-Ear Headphones - White

Was €44.99 - previously on sale at €26.99

Now €23.99

Stock levels - Checkargos

71-2580834SPA82UC1675921M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Sennheiser CX300-II In-Ear Headphones - White

Was €44.99 - previously on sale at €26.99

Now €23.99

Stock levels - Checkargos

71-2580834SPA82UC1675921M.jpg

Great set of headphones!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Withrax

Same here, didn't think they were great headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

Sorry for offtopic, but cant find this anywhere .
    If it said on their website that offer valid untill 26/02 , does it mean that its valid on 26th as well , or it expires at 23.59 on 25th ?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

If it said on their website that offer valid untill 26/02 , does it mean that its valid on 26th as well , or it expires at 23.59 on 25th ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This usually means.. until close of business on 26th..in my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. End of whatever date it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Needed a cheap sim free phone.
    Seems to be a great phone so far but has no 4G.

Motorola Moto E White €89.95.

Black version is €25 more expensive. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Try meteor for huawei y550 has 4g very good battery for 79 i thibk and unlocked very easily on ebay

Xbox One are on sale too for €379.99 with two free games, none of the bundle consoles seem to be in stock though only the console sans kinect. Evole and Minecraft are the two free games, Dragon Age and Minecraft was an option too but all gone now.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2585530/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CXbox+One%7C37328270/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328270%7CXbox+One+consoles%7C37328802.htm

No deals on phones unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The ironing is delicious, it's ten months to christmas today, get these before they sell out.

Pot Noodle Chewdriver Set

Now €3.99

Stock levels @checkargos

18-2401827bSSUC17579319M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Pot Noodle Chewdriver Set

Now €3.99

Stock levels @checkargos

18-2401827bSSUC17579319M.jpg
    Omg just what I always wanted thank you kind sir...

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Omg just what I always wanted thank you kind sir...

To quote argos
    Eating a Pot Noodle has never been more fun!
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

ninty wrote: »
    NOOK Simple Touch GlowLight link

This is still at €40. I got one a few weeks ago as my first ereader. Don't know how it compares to other devices but I like it. For the money its great.

People should be aware that out of the box it is effectively "locked", as you can only buy books from Barnes and Noble but they only let people in thd US&UK buy books (some people use alternate adresses and IP tricksto purchase books via their Nook website). This means that if you buy ebooks with DRM elsewhere eg. Easons website, you have to remove the DRM before manually transfering via Usb and a computer.

You can add books manually that don't have DRM.
    You are locked out of borrowing library ebooks as there is no Overdrive app for the Nook Simple Touch.
    There are many public domain/out of copyright books available via the Nook's store app for free but quality of these books greatly varies.

You can of course look into rooting which is apparently easy. From the best that I can tell without rooting the WiFi has no purpose in Ireland south of the border.

I am guessing Argos are selling them at this price to shift stock they probably shouldn't be selling. Great device but Caveat Emptor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement