Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dublinfan wrote: »
    ye last year when we played kerry in the league we had Andrews Brogan Flynn Connely

Most of half and full forwards arnt available for Saturday bar Mannion and Kilkenny

Was trying to remember exactly what team Dublin had last year.

Kerry's will be similar but probably worse - no Marc or Tomás, no Darran O’Sullivan. Think O'Mahony is out as well.

Just found the teams:

KERRY (National League – vs Dublin): Brendan Kealy; Marc O’Se, Aidan O’Mahony, Killian Young; Tomas O’Se (0-1), Peter Crowley, Jonathan Lyne; James Walsh, Anthony Maher; Michael Geaney, Darran O’Sullivan, Michael O’Donoghue (0-1f); James O’Donoghue (0-1f), Paddy Curtin (0-1), Barry-John Keane.

Subs: Kieran Donaghy for Walsh, Declan O’Sullivan for Keane, Bryan Sheehan for Geaney, Barry-John Walsh for M O’Donoghue, Conor Cox for Curtin.

DUBLIN (National League – vs Kerry): Stephen Cluxton; Jonny Cooper, Rory O’Carroll, Kevin O’Brien; Darren Daly, Ger Brennan, Jack McCaffrey; MD McAuley, Cian O’Sullivan; Paul Flynn, Diarmuid Connolly, Ciaran Reddin; Tomas Brady, Paddy Andrews (0-3), Bernard Brogan 0-7 (0-3f).

Subs: Phily Ryan (0-1f)for Connolly (inj.), Craig Dias (1-0)for Reddin, Darragh Nelson for Daly, Declan O’Mahony for Ryan.

Looks like Dublin will be missing a similar amount, no Brennan, Connolly, Flynn, Brogan or Andrews.

Just think it will be interesting if Kerry narrow the gap on last year's game considerably considering that one of Dublin's major strengths is supposed to be their strength in depth.

Obviously it's only February either way, but will be interesting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dublin's supposed strength in depth falls down in the middle of the field when MDM is not playing and time not being on Bastics side, from what I've seen Dublin are just giving the same guys a go in midfield as last year, and they didn't set the world on fire before and it was the 2010/2011 squad that was called at the end of the day(some forwards aside)

The GAA App has a nice run down on the Dublin squad with who's in and out, there is a similar breakdown for the other teams in the division.

I hope they keep it up its a nice way to get upto speed with the squads, they seem to start a lot of good stuff on that app but it just falls away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

A few unfamiliar names in the Kerry line up for Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

What are people's thoughts on the hurling?
    Dublin 5/2, KK 4/11.

Dublin without Rushe & 1 or 2 others who played with the colleges already.
    KK seem to have decided to take it reasonably serious form the get-go this year.
    Odds are prob about right.

AGC wrote: »
    A few unfamiliar names in the Kerry line up for Saturday

Here if anyone hasn't seen it:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/kerry-name-team-allianz-football-league-opener/

Kerry (FL Division 1 v Dublin) – Brendan Kealy; Paul Murphy, Mark Griffin, Shane Enright; Peter Crowley, Brian McGuire, Jack Sherwood; Anthony Maher, David Moran; Johnathan Lyne, Michael Geaney, Donnchadh Walsh (capt); Barry John Keane, James O’Donoghue, Stephen O’Brien.

Subs: Brian Kelly, Paul Galvin, Aidan O’Mahony, Barry Shanahan, Conor Cox, Paul Geaney, Pa Kilkenny, David Culhane, James Walsh, Alan Fitzgerald, Shane O’Callaghan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

keane2097 wrote: »
    Here if anyone hasn't seen it:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/kerry-name-team-allianz-football-league-opener/

Kerry (FL Division 1 v Dublin) – Brendan Kealy; Paul Murphy, Mark Griffin, Shane Enright; Peter Crowley, Brian McGuire, Jack Sherwood; Anthony Maher, David Moran; Johnathan Lyne, Michael Geaney, Donnchadh Walsh (capt); Barry John Keane, James O’Donoghue, Stephen O’Brien.

Subs: Brian Kelly, Paul Galvin, Aidan O’Mahony, Barry Shanahan, Conor Cox, Paul Geaney, Pa Kilkenny, David Culhane, James Walsh, Alan Fitzgerald, Shane O’Callaghan

Can any predict what the Dublin team will be ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Anyone know if Dias is coming back to the panel or was he invited back, I thought he'd be motivated this year, there is a place for him imo in the half back line if o'sullivan stays in midfield, and I think he will as galvin likes him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I don't think he featured at all in the O'Byrne Cup, so dunno if we'll see him in the league. Is he college tied? He had a great game in Kilarney last year, but I don't remember him doing all that much after wards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Pretty sure Dias was dropped from the panel altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Strong enough team for the Walsh Cup final - Dotsy, Hiney and McCaffrey all in, Schutte is up full forward as well. Interesting about Gary Maguire getting swapped back out for Nolan when he was the first team keeper last year.

• Advertisement

Strong enough team for the Walsh Cup final - Dotsy, Hiney and McCaffrey all in, Schutte is up full forward as well. Interesting about Gary Maguire getting swapped back out for Nolan when he was the first team keeper last year.

Maguire will be starting Championship and is 1st choice. Daly has always given Nolan a fair chance in Walsh cup and league

Then why did he get a run out last week against Wexford? I'd have thought you'd stick to your first choice keeper for a final over a semi-final, no disrepect to Alan Nolan intended.

Because it's still the first weekend in February.

Ideal game to play him in. Croke Park against Kilkenny, any injury to Maguire and Nolan would be in so needs games. We all know how good Maguire is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I'm not surprised of Nolan starting ahead of Maguire as it's a good time to give him a chance to get games and prove his worth. Goalkeepers need competition too as nobody should be guaranteed to be safe.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised of Nolan starting ahead of Maguire as it's a good time to give him a chance to get games and prove his worth. Goalkeepers need competition too as nobody should be guaranteed to be safe.

Of course, but if Nolan's in need of a run why was he missing last week? Just seems a bit strange to throw your championship keeper into the Walsh Cup for a week only to take him out again before the big day is all. Likewise I wouldn't be expecting Maguire to appear in the League semi and not in the League final. It was just a comment, raised a bit of an eyebrow for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Still no Football Team Announced Hopefully by 9-10

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

BfVjnJtIgAA7wTr.jpg

worried is not the word... mccaffery mannion mdmc ocarrol all not starting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

There are many of us who don't run in these circles and don't "know" what happened, so we rely on other sources like the discipline process and judgements. It's nobody's "problem" so what are you stirring for? What are you wasting time for? Jesus, why am I wasting my time on this...
    No,we arent in the know but Im sure Pauric Duffy,the Director General of the GAA has seen all the evidence and has repeatedly stated,in public, categorically that McBrearty was bitten.
    So I find it very cowardly and lacking in any sort of back bone when i hear mealy mouthed "it may have been a scratch" or "sure none of us were there".
    If people dont want to discuss it thats fine but at least they should grow a pair and say that instead of the other ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Cluxton is going to have to work his magic this evening if we're to get parity with the Kerry midfield. Kerry 9/4 is a cracking bet.

Should be fun braving the elements for 4 hours.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Game on TV anywhere?

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Game on TV anywhere?

Setanta Sports 1, deferred coverage starting at 20:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Gael85

vicwatson wrote: »
    Game on TV anywhere?

Game on Setanta Ireland @6-30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Good to get out with the win tonight. Sean George very stupid to get himself sent off but if anything the red card spurred the rest of them on and we were better afterwards. I wish they'd move the league games back to Parnell. Since going to Croker there's always a large amount of lads who seem to be only there to drink and shout abuse at our own players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Very sloppy in the first half but when it got serious there was only one team going to win which is very pleasing.

Great to see Alan Brogan back in a Dublin jersey. To say he was rusty would be an understatement but we'll give him the benefit this time;)

Anyone know what George was sent off for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

corny wrote: »
    Very sloppy in the first half but when it got serious there was only one team going to win which is very pleasing.

Great to see Alan Brogan back in a Dublin jersey. To say he was rusty would be an understatement but we'll give him the benefit this time;)

Anyone know what George was sent off for?

Went up for a high ball with a Kerry lad and they both ended up on the floor. As the ball moved on up the pitch SG sat on top of the Kerry fellas head. Stupid stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Went up for a high ball with a Kerry lad and they both ended up on the floor. As the ball moved on up the pitch SG sat on top of the Kerry fellas head. Stupid stuff.

And supposedly throw a box while getting up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

sgarvan wrote: »
    And supposedly throw a box while getting up

I saw him suit on his head alright, but not the punch..

I didn't think that sitting on someone was a red card though.. not sure what rule covers it tbh!

A good final sprint by the hurlers but in the end the scoreline was true to the match, Kilkenny deserved winners at 0-24 to 1-17. Dublin never looked like taking the lead the cats were a cut above with their fluid passing and sharpshooting.

Gutted, but as long as we build on it for Galway in two weeks it will all right

Grudaire wrote: »
    I saw him suit on his head alright, but not the punch..

I didn't think that sitting on someone was a red card though.. not sure what rule covers it tbh!

I was talking to BJK after the game, George punched him alright he has a nice little shiner from it!

• Advertisement

A good final sprint by the hurlers but in the end the scoreline was true to the match, Kilkenny deserved winners at 0-24 to 1-17. Dublin never looked like taking the lead the cats were a cut above with their fluid passing and sharpshooting.

Gutted, but as long as we build on it for Galway in two weeks it will all right
    Yes it was a fair result, their scores came easier, very little long range efforts from Dublin. Killkenny shut the door for the third quarter, they fell off a bit for the last ten minutes but you got the feeling that they knew they won it. I liked the fight back though, without it it could have been an 8 or 10 point loss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement