Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just in the door meself. Utterly shellshocked after that. Don't know what to think.

The only consolation I can take -and be kind here, as I'm grasping at straws - is that if the 2 missed penos HAD gone in, it would only have been 5-15 to 3-15 heading into the last 10 mins or so. A 6 pt gap is not all that hard to overcome, not in hurling anyway & maybe if the heads didn't drop the way that they did...they could have pulled it out of the bag. Who knows...stranger things have happened.

Yeah, I know...I'm only fooling myself.

Anyway, congrats to Galway. I think the Galway people around me were as shellshocked by their flying start as I was. It would be hard to begrudge Joe Canning a good run at a Celtic Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It would be hard to begrudge Joe Canning a good run at a Celtic Cross.

Surely not, I hope they kick on and do it! You can't fault them on their victory today, it was deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

How bad? The crowd about me were bloodthirsty, fully on for flogging the dead horse but I have to admit it's not like I was having the time of my life, I was easily rankled. We didn't exchange words, the lads on the pitch were doing the talking for me.

Real horrible atmosphere tbh. I understand passion and excitement but they took more pleasure in Dublin losing than they did in Galway winning if that makes sense. Water off a ducks back for myself but the Dublin lad beside me got rightly wound up. Kept talking about how KK were going to 'bate them'. Made him feel better but not me.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Disappointed to hear about this if true. As a Galway fan at the game, I didn't hear too much wrong, bar the usual odd shout, but there weren't too many Dubs fans around me anyway. Galway support much the bigger today. Think Galway fans took a lot of delight out of this evening, mainly because there has been a lot of pain the past few seasons, but also a bit because the Dubs' hex is another jinx off our back.

Feel a bit sorry for the Dubs, ultimately. Not good for the game to see a developing county getting a heavy beating. Improving the domestic club scene must be relentlessly focused upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Very disappointing by the hurlers. Those 3 early goals. :( A lot of silly mistakes for them and throughout the match. On the plus side, the pick of Kildare and Laois won't trouble our footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

It would be hard to begrudge Joe Canning a good run at a Celtic Cross.[/quote]

I can never understand people who say joe canning deserves an all-ireland. How does he deserve one anymore than anyone else on the team or who have gone before him. Undoubtedly a great talent but better Galway hurlers that had greater heart and leadership qualities than Joe Canning went without winning an All-ireland. Very rare to see joe grab the game by the scruff of the neck when they really need it

On today's game, Dublin will not win an all ireland unless they address the issue of their inability to score goals. No prolific goal scorer in their six forwards, two penalties which were badly taken today. These are the opportunities that turn games around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Dublin will win games against good teams when those teams underperform. Simple as. Can't see them beating a top team when they play really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

I think a lot of posters have touched on the issues that are the main problems for Dublin hurlers.

Let's start with attack. Not having a Canning / Dowling / Callanan type forward to target for goals is a big problem indeed. This is why Cunningham tried Rushe up there, he had no option, Keaney was tried in the past too, both are too slow. They can win the ball but don't have that initial burst of speed on the turn that is required. I think Rushe will likely be moved back to defence now. They will have to rely on nippy forwards instead like Eamon Dillon & Cian Boland to try weave their way through to goal, give those lads some space and they probably can muster a few up.

On the defence, it was very unsettled yesterday, Peter Kelly was badly missed and every county would struggle without their main full back, think of Kilkenny without JJ in any of their games over the last 3years. At one stage Crummey was in there isolated on Canning on his own in only his second senior championship match. For the last goal, Mickey Carton was in front of Canning when he caught it, a full back should never find himself in that position. Paul Schutte had a rare off day and Cian O Callaghan is still not at senior level yet though he will probably get there sooner or later.

I though midfield did reasonably well and especially that Kerry lad O'Connell, he hurled a lot of ball and reminded me of a Daniel Kearney type player, nippy and hard working.

So having considered the different positions, you could say the team just needs a bit of rejigging. When Daly was in charge he had the team set up more defensively and they were able to grind out wins, there's no point trying to be something you are not. Until Dublin have those required forwards to use they need to focus on what they are good at and in the past that was defending. Bring Rushe back, get Peter Kelly back to his All-Star full back standard and give the forwards space up front to tag the points away, 1-18 yesterday would win a lot of tight games. With a bit of luck Dublin will get a few weaker counties in the qualifiers to rebuild with this new platform and can still have a say this year. If Ger Cunningham persists with Rushe up front and Keaney back and a team trying to get goals I think it will be a very short Summer for Dublin hurling.

J DEERE wrote: »

I can never understand people who say joe canning deserves an all-ireland. How does he deserve one anymore than anyone else on the team or who have gone before him. Undoubtedly a great talent but better Galway hurlers that had greater heart and leadership qualities than Joe Canning went without winning an All-ireland. Very rare to see joe grab the game by the scruff of the neck when they really need it

On today's game, Dublin will not win an all ireland unless they address the issue of their inability to score goals. No prolific goal scorer in their six forwards, two penalties which were badly taken today. These are the opportunities that turn games around

Jayzus. Relax. I never said that Joe Canning "deserved" an All Ireland medal, or that he was the greatest player to ever hurl for Galway. I said that I wouldn't begrudge him a decent shot at winning one, which is a different thing entirely.

It's nice to see great players who do most of the heavy lifting on average teams, finally get their hands on an AI medal. If it happens for Canning, then good luck to him. I certainly don't begrudge him it. Lots of people said the same of the Brogans, Cluxton etc after we won Sam in 2011. (Even the brokenhearted Kerry fans said it, albeit through gritted teeth. :D )

It's called being gracious in defeat, or magnanimous, or what ever you're having yerself. Give it a go sometimes. It's good for the soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

Hi folks quick question.
    I'm looking for a ball alley that I can bang a sliotar around in.

I'm in East Wall so anywhere in the Dublin 1/3/5 area would be ideal.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

From my memory of the Dublin Development squad trials there's a ball alley at the DCC Astro Turf pitches on the Alfie Byrne Road - just 100 yards up from Clontarf Road Dart Station

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

Aw brilliant sure that's only two seconds from my house.
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin have used 21 players in 1 Championship game.Appearances+Subs for 2015 Championship Game

Bastick, Denis 1
    Brogan, Bernard 1
    Byrne, David (Olafs) 1
    Cluxton, Stephen 1
    Connolly, Diarmuid 1
    Cooper, Jonny 1
    Daly, Darren 1
    Fenton, Brian 1
    Flynn, Paul 1
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 1
    McCaffrey, Jack 1
    McMahon, Philip 1
    McManamon, Kevin 1
    Rock, Dean 1
    Small, John 1
    Andrews, Paddy 0+1
    Brady, Tomas 0+1
    Brogan, Alan 0+1
    Fitzsimons, Michael 0+1
    Lowndes, Eric 0+1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0+1

Dublin have scored 4-25 and conceded 0-10 in 1 Championship games. Scorers 2015 Championship Games

Brogan, Bernard 1-6
    Rock, Dean 1-6
    Flynn, Paul 1-3
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-3
    Connolly, Diarmuid 1-0
    McManamon, Kevin 0-2
    Andrews, Paddy 0-1
    Brady, Tomas 0-1
    Fenton, Brian 0-1
    Lowndes, Eric 0-1
    McMahon, Philip 0-1

Dublin have used 35 players in 9 League games.Appearances+Subs for 2015 League Games

Cooper, Jonny 9
    McManamon, Kevin 9
    Rock, Dean 9
    McCaffrey, Jack 8+1
    Brady, Tomas 7+2
    Bastic, Denis 8
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 6+2
    McMahon, Philip 6+2
    O'Carroll, Rory 7
    Brogan, Bernard 5+2
    Small, John 5+2
    Costello, Cormac 3+4
    Fenton, Brian 3+4
    Cluxton, Stephen 6 (4 Clean Sheets. Conceded 3 Goals)
    Culligan, Eoin 6
    McCarthy, James 3+3
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 2+4
    Connolly, Diarmuid 5
    Flynn, Paul 4+1
    Daly, Darren 3+2
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3+2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 3+2
    Andrews, Paddy 1+4
    Fitzsimons, Michael 2+2
    Byrne, Davy (Ballymun) 1+3
    Currie, Sean 3 (2 Clean Sheets. Conceded 1 Goal)
    Carthy, Shane 2+1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2+1
    Byrne, David (Olafs) 1+2
    Devereux, Nicky 1+2
    Lowndes, Eric 1+2
    Reddin, Ciaran 0+2
    Deegan, Michael 0+1
    McHugh, Conor 0+1
    Ryan, Philip 0+1

Dublin have scored 8-131 and conceded 4-101 in 9 League games. Scorers 2015 League Games

Rock, Dean 1-52
    Brogan, Bernard 2-8
    McCaffrey, Jack 1-7
    Brady, Tomas 0-8
    McManamon, Kevin 0-8
    Connolly, Diarmuid 1-5
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-7
    Fenton, Brian 1-3
    Flynn, Paul 0-5
    McMahon, Philip 0-5
    Costello, Cormac 1-2
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 0-4
    O'Gara, Eoghan 0-4
    Bastic, Denis 1-1
    Andrews, Paddy 0-3
    Byrne, Davy (Ballymun) 0-2
    Carthy, Shane 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-2
    Deegan, Michael 0-1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0-1
    Ryan, Philip 0-1

Dublin have used 34 players in 5 O'Byrne Cup games.Appearances+Subs for 2015 O'Byrne Cup

Brady, Tomas 5
    Culligan, Eoin 5
    Devereux, Nicky 5
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 5
    Rock, Dean 5
    Small, John 5
    Daly, Darren 5
    Fitzsimons, Michael 4+1
    Bastick, Denis 4
    O'Gara, Eoghan 4
    Hannigan, Graham 3+1
    Ryan, Philip 2+2
    Carthy, Shane 1+3
    Scully, Niall 0+4
    Costello, Cormac 3
    McManamon, Kevin 3
    Molloy, Lorcan 3 (1 Clean Sheet)
    Collins, Niall 2+1
    O'Carroll, Rory 2+1
    Cooper, Jonny 1+2
    Dawson, Harry 1+2
    Lowndes, Stuart 0+3
    Currie, Sean 2 (1 Clean Sheet)
    McCaffrey, Jack 1+1
    Dunleavy, Craig 1+1
    Deegan, Michael 0+2
    Kavanagh, Ian 0+2
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0+2
    O'Higgins, Paddy 0+2
    McCarrick, Alan 0+1
    McGowan, Ross 0+1
    McGuire, Conor 0+1
    McLoughlin, Diarmuid 0+1
    McMahon, Philip 0+1

Dublin have scored 3-80 and conceded 3-43 in 5 O'Byrne Cup games. Scorers 2015 O'Byrne Cup Games

Rock, Dean 0-38
    O'Gara, Eoghan 2-7
    McManamon, Kevin 1-6
    Brady, Tomas 0-7
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 0-6
    Carthy, Shane 0-5
    Ryan, Philip 0-3
    Costello, Cormac 0-2
    Deegan, Michael 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-1
    Culligan, Eoin 0-1
    McLoughlin, Diarmuid 0-1
    Scully, Niall 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

Jim Gavin managerial Championship/League record played 39 won 30 drawn 3 lost 6 scored 58-637(811) conceded 30-468(558)

2015 Championship Played 1 Won-11Drawn-0 Lost-0 Scored 4-25(37) Conceded 0-10(10)
    2014 Championship Played 5 Won-4 Drawn-0 Lost-1 Scored 9-105(132) Conceded 5-63(78)
    2013 Championship Played 6 Won-6 Drawn-0 Lost-0 Scored 13-99(138) Conceded 5-71(86)
    2015 League Played 9 Won-6 Drawn-1 Lost-2 Scored 8-131(155) Conceded 4-101(113)
    2014 League Played 9 Won-6 Drawn-1 Lost-2 Scored 14-138(180) Conceded 11-117(150)
    2013 League Played 9 Won-7 Drawn-1 Lost-1 Scored 10-139(169) Conceded 5-106(121)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Whats the crack with dublin Kildare tickets? Don't see them on sale anywhere??

phishcakes wrote: »
    Whats the crack with dublin Kildare tickets? Don't see them on sale anywhere??

Tickets have to be printed on A4 paper as it's a triple header with the Minors throwing in @ 12.00 ;) (actually they're out now check tickets.ie, or club orders by this Friday)

Gonna be a long day Sunday week - I'll kill 2 birds and pack my roast beef and cornflakes sambos

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Tickets have to be printed on A4 paper as it's a triple header with the Minors throwing in @ 12.00 ;) (actually they're out now check tickets.ie, or club orders by this Friday)

Gonna be a long day Sunday week - I'll kill 2 birds and pack my roast beef and cornflakes sambos

I really hope that is a metaphor for something, or a joke that I don't get, coz that sounds like a disgusting thing to be atin' ! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I really hope that is a metaphor for something, or a joke that I don't get, coz that sounds like a disgusting thing to be atin' ! :eek:

He was referring to the length of the day breakfast and dinner in Croker

It's my way of saying I'll be out of the house early - brekkie and dinner in the one sandwich :rolleyes:. We'll have to roll out the 7 seater seeing as how SWMBO and her brother will be in tow to support Mordor, on the upside I've a designated driver and a drinking partner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Looking forward to a tough match lads, may the best team win...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Not seeing the tickets on tickets.ie anywhere, can anyone link me to page to buy tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

BKWDR wrote: »
    Not seeing the tickets on tickets.ie anywhere, can anyone link me to page to buy tickets?

Tickets here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I still wont be voting for him or them

did ger brennan come out and support the no vote in the marriage referendum? no way would i vote for him or fianna fail

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

did ger brennan come out and support the no vote in the marriage referendum? no way would i vote for him or fianna fail

He did, I voted yes myself but wouldn't hold him voting no against him. The whole thing was a no brainer really anyway IMHO.

Looking forward to a good game too DK. Ah really good game would do wonders for both sides.

Stoner wrote: »
    He did, I voted yes myself but wouldn't hold him voting no against him. The whole thing was a no brainer really anyway IMHO.

Looking forward to a good game too DK. Ah really good game would do wonders for both sides.

My sentiments exactly ... last year was a complete write off for Leinster - but anything similar to the 2013 Leinster final would do for me - I think in the rush elsewhere to downplay the competition people forget how good a performance Meath put in that day - I remember Bray & Carroll having great goal chances 1st half and possibly Wallace in the 2nd if any of those had've gone in Dublin would've been extended well past Mannions goal in the last 10 mins. Looking forward to all 3 games.

P.S .. it would be nice to think that the whole ground will get involved in the minutes applause for the 2 Harris brothers in the 16th minute of the game - I'm not huge on sentimentality but personally think is an appropriate gesture from the GAA community as a whole

Stoner wrote: »

Ill be honest dublin are the one side i really fear our lads facing. any other team i expect kildare to give a good account of themselves but dublin are another animal altogether. Kildare did play very well v laois in second half but with all respect to laois they are no dublin or kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The 4 goals and change we put past you twice in 2013 fell to a 1-22 to 1-12 in the league last year. We've not seen each other in quite some time, I hope you put us to the sword. It'll be good for Kildare football, good for Dublin and good for Leinster.

• Advertisement

The 4 goals and change we put past you twice in 2013 fell to a 1-22 to 1-12 in the league last year. We've not seen each other in quite some time, I hope you put us to the sword. It'll be good for Kildare football, good for Dublin and good for Leinster.

Ah here now TV !! .. any more of that altruistic sh!te and I'll ban ya off the forum :D .. I'm more along the lines of a close game for 60 mins and then pull away to a 4 point win with no debatable decisions and the ref havin a sparkler of a game .. is that too much to ask ? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement