Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Dean Rock was my MOTM. It was great to see him contributing so much from open play, instead of just kicking all the frees. Not only was his 1-2 from open play a fine haul, he was often the link man setting up plays, or the last man to give the pass to someone else in a better position to take a score. Long may it continue. If we are to win Sam this year, we'll be needing that kind of contribution from him more often, as our depth up front is no where near as deep, or as productive as it was back in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Originally Posted by BKWDR View Post
    In fairness to Connolly, for a game that was practically over in the first 15 minutes he can be forgiven for taking his foot off the pedal in an early champo game against poor opposition.

He's been full tilt for both club (both codes) and county now for onwards of two years.

I agree with BKWRD. A meaningless game over after 10 minutes. Why would Connolly bust a gut risking injury when he is a nailed on starter. Don't agree that it sends a bad message to other players. Everybody on that Dublin panel will know their spot in the pecking order and what they need to do to move up the ranks. If that means some lads have to try harder than Connolly in a total mismatch so be it.

If he's not fit enough to go at it 100% then he shouldn't be started. Complacency cannot be aloud to seep in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

If it was most others you'd probably give them the BOTD, but Connolly has priors for going into cruise control when the game is seemingly dead so it isn't good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Gonna throw another grenade in here;) and say its not just in the meaningless games his workrate isn't up to scratch. Despite his contribution on the scoreboard last year i felt he was the first one to give up on chasing the Donegal runners.

All in the head too if i'm right because he's one of the finest athletes in the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Cracking game of hurling in Parnell Park, real shame for our U21 hurlers just to miss out at the death. GAA really need to look at allowing the fecking sun be involved in such tight games, totally unfair how it impeded our goalkeeper for that late goal, total over haul needed, maybe a big roof over Parnell Park for future sunny evenings.

On a serious note, great to see our hurlers competing on this level, not quite at the Kilkenny level of the game yet but pushing them to the wire like this is something we could only have dreamed of 5 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

If he's not fit enough to go at it 100% then he shouldn't be started. Complacency cannot be aloud to seep in.
    If it was most others you'd probably give them the BOTD, but Connolly has priors for going into cruise control when the game is seemingly dead so it isn't good to see.
    corny wrote: »
    Gonna throw another grenade in here;) and say its not just in the meaningless games his workrate isn't up to scratch. Despite his contribution on the scoreboard last year i felt he was the first one to give up on chasing the Donegal runners.

All in the head too if i'm right because he's one of the finest athletes in the GAA.

Fair points but maybe that flaw is just part of his football DNA. In other words DC and all his flaws come as a package, you can't pick and choose those football traits that you like and discard the ones you don't like. Are there any complete players out there. Does the complete player exist. Not in my view. Every player has areas that in theory could be improved on. DC, warts and all is going to be in the team all day every day. In accepting that fact maybe we have to accept that he has failings in his game. One of those failing is his inability to drive himself for 70 minutes.

Fair points but maybe that flaw is just part of his football DNA. In other words DC and all his flaws come as a package, you can't pick and choose those football traits that you like and discard the ones you don't like. Are there any complete players out there. Does the complete player exist. Not in my view. Every player has areas that in theory could be improved on. DC, warts and all is going to be in the team all day every day. In accepting that fact maybe we have to accept that he has failings in his game. One of those failing is his inability to drive himself for 70 minutes.

If you have a weak left foot you don't accept it, you work at it and you could spend a lifetime working at it for not much gain. A simple attitude adjustment is child's play by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Cracking game of hurling in Parnell Park, real shame for our U21 hurlers just to miss out at the death. GAA really need to look at allowing the fecking sun be involved in such tight games, totally unfair how it impeded our goalkeeper for that late goal, total over haul needed, maybe a big roof over Parnell Park for future sunny evenings.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

On a serious note, great to see our hurlers competing on this level, not quite at the Kilkenny level of the game yet but pushing them to the wire like this is something we could only have dreamed of 5 years ago!
    Christ.

It maybe the lowest form of wit, but my sarcasm detector is working fine - might need to tune yours a little ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

If you have a weak left foot you don't accept it, you work at it and you could spend a lifetime working at it for not much gain. A simple attitude adjustment is child's play by comparison.

If it's that simple, why hasn't it been adjusted?
    DC is I think in his eight season with Dublin. Surely this perceived weakness would have been rectified by this stage if it were that simple. I say 'perceived' weakness as in my view it's part of the DC package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I can still remember DC's debut against Meath in the drawn game in 2007. He had a dog of a day (after all the hype surrounding him), the crowd around me were on his back early on. I twigged after 10-15 mins that the people in the row behind me were family/close friends of his. When he was replaced it couldn't have come soon enough for supporters and family alike ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

This is complete nonsense. The ease of improving ones sporting ability or changing ones attitude is highly dependent on the specific person in question and their current circumstances.

If improving your weaker foot is so hard how come (for instance) Paul Flynn was able to improve his in 1 summer? Or if a 'simple' attitude adjustment is so easy how come everybody in the world isn't perfect or Diarmuid has changed his?

If it's that simple, why hasn't it been adjusted?
    DC, warts and all is going to be in the team all day every day.

We can disagree on whether we think DC is coasting it or not but surely you'd accept a player, any player, would be more inclined toward laziness if he felt his place was not in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Some nonsense being spouted on this page.

Our most talented footballer should be threatened with being dropped because he didn't run his b0ll0cks off against a Longford team who were beaten after 10 minutes

Kavrocks wrote: »
    This is complete nonsense. The ease of improving ones sporting ability or changing ones attitude is highly dependent on the specific person in question and their current circumstances.

If improving your weaker foot is so hard how come (for instance) Paul Flynn was able to improve his in 1 summer? Or if a 'simple' attitude adjustment is so easy how come everybody in the world isn't perfect or Diarmuid has changed his?

None of that is relevant if you accept Connolly's reluctance to work hard is a concious decision. He's very capable (has proven it) of putting in a good shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭billyhead

Billy Mays wrote: »

Our most talented footballer should be threatened with being dropped because he didn't run his b0ll0cks off against a Longford team who were beaten after 10 minutes

No player is bigger then the team no matter how talented he is. DC coasting through games should not be tolerated. If he is unwilling to put the effort in he should be dropped. Its as simple as that. Other players willing to break their balls for the team no matter who the opposition is or how the game is going is what we need. If he continues with a similar performance the next day he should be taken off or dropped to the bench and give someone else a chance. I would like to see Conor McHugh given a game for the experience and to see how he gets on or Cormac Costello more game time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Billy Mays wrote: »

I kind of agree with this actually. There is little point in running yourself into the ground when you know what the outcome is going to be; I'd bet dollars to dimes he'd cover every inch of Croker if he was playing against the lads from Kerry. No doubt.

I kind of agree with this actually. There is little point in running yourself into the ground when you know what the outcome is going to be; I'd bet dollars to dimes he'd cover every inch of Croker if he was playing against the lads from Kerry. No doubt.

As an experienced lad you might be right but if the whole squad took the easy approach against Longford we might find its not so easy to change gear. The dilemma then is if you accept it from such a senior player whats to stop a younger lad following suit?

Set your standards and don't let them drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

billyhead wrote: »
    No player is bigger then the team no matter how talented he is. DC coasting through games should not be tolerated. If he is unwilling to put the effort in he should be dropped. Its as simple as that. Other players willing to break their balls for the team no matter who the opposition is or how the game is going is what we need. If he continues with a similar performance the next day he should be taken off or dropped to the bench and give someone else a chance. I would like to see Conor McHugh given a game for the experience and to see how he gets on or Cormac Costello more game time
    Far too big a deal being made of this. Personally speaking I would've rested Dermo on Sunday. As someone indicated earlier he's probably played more football/hurling than anyone else in the country over the last couple of years. Would your opinion be the same if he had've torn his hamstring or suffered a similar season ending injury chasing down an opposing player on Sunday after the game was well won? I really don't see what the big deal is about not going full pelt against a 4th division team that lost by 27 points. Hypothetically speaking, do you think Argentina's manager should consider dropping Messi if he took the foot off the gas while they were 6-0 up against Azerbaijan?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Christ.

Christ indeed, in the words of Mr. Miyagi 'get some sleep, check again tomorrow...it might be there then' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gael85

DC has been one of our most consistent performers over the last 3/4 years.In that time his work rate/consistency has improved considerably.Yes he had a bad game against Longford but Gavin took him off so that should give him a good kick up the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Bring on Laois or Kikdare,we'll have them blown away by the 10th minute.

COYBIB.

I know this comment will sound kind of foolish in a sense but here goes.

It's getting to the stage where the sense of satisfaction in 27 point victories over what was essentially a good inter side is beginning to diminish.

Winning Leinster has become virtually meaningless.

Look at it another way. We've won 9 of the last 10 Leinsters and won 2 from 2 all ireland finals

Kerry have won 6 of the last 10 Munsters and have won 4 out of 7 all ireland finals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Leinster is rubbish, we can all agree on that. There is no real satisfaction in any victory in the province. 9 out of 10 Leinsters makes for sorry reading if you want competitive football - and who doesn't? Barring us not showing up in a particular match we won't have a real game until it's too late to recover. Nobody needs reminding about 2014 but the conditions are ripe for it happening in 2015 too.

For me the hurling is far, far more interesting and has been for a while. I'm enthralled at our team, a team who can beat anybody on their good day, seems to stuff it so often :P It's heartbreaking to watch and at times I think I'm a masochist but it's incredibly exciting to watch any hurling match with Dublin in it for me. I'll be there in Tullamore tomorrow, hopefully putting the finishing touches to Galway this time around. And if it doesn't happen at least I can leave knowing there's something worth fighting for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Leinster is rubbish, we can all agree on that. There is no real satisfaction in any victory in the province. 9 out of 10 Leinsters makes for sorry reading if you want competitive football - and who doesn't? Barring us not showing up in a particular match we won't have a real game until it's too late to recover. Nobody needs reminding about 2014 but the conditions are ripe for it happening in 2015 too.

For me the hurling is far, far more interesting and has been for a while. I'm enthralled at our team, a team who can beat anybody on their good day, seems to stuff it so often :P It's heartbreaking to watch and at times I think I'm a masochist but it's incredibly exciting to watch any hurling match with Dublin in it for me. I'll be there in Tullamore tomorrow, hopefully putting the finishing touches to Galway this time around. And if it doesn't happen at least I can leave knowing there's something worth fighting for!

Sport is so much more enjoyable, entertaining and meaningful when the opponents involved are evenly matched.

The GAA are going to have to do something about the football championship

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

[QUOTE=
    For me the hurling is far, far more interesting and has been for a while. I'm enthralled at our team, a team who can beat anybody on their good day, seems to stuff it so often :P It's heartbreaking to watch and at times I think I'm a masochist but it's incredibly exciting to watch any hurling match with Dublin in it for me. I'll be there in Tullamore tomorrow, hopefully putting the finishing touches to Galway this time around. And if it doesn't happen at least I can leave knowing there's something worth fighting for![/QUOTE]

The Dublin hurlers are almost like the Waterford team of the last decade. Enjoyable to watch but heartbreaking to support. The problem with today is they meet another team that blow hot and cold. Lets hope they both blow hot and give us a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

This is a shambolic effort from the hurlers. I thought the game was a half 5 throw in for some reason. Flick on after 25 minutes and it's 3-10 to 0-04. Only getting worse at this point :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

New manager's first season, fair enough. But the reaction to going so far behind was so slow. Qualifier draw is going to be massive. Could be Clare in Ennis, for example.

The following round of the qualifiers sees two Munster semi-final losers (Limerick/Waterford) and Wexford enter the fray, as well as Clare (if we've avoided them in the 1st Round Qualifiers). Path to an All-Ireland Quarter-Final now very tricky altogether. That league defeat to Cork seems to have knocked the stuffing out of the team.

Forget I said anything. That was grim.

Just home. Sobering experience. Lack of intensity and drive in the first 15 minutes was staggering.

Galway crowd behind me were fun. Never heard such unsporting people.

• Advertisement

Just home. Sobering experience. Lack of intensity and drive in the first 15 minutes was staggering.

Galway crowd behind me were fun. Never heard such unsporting people.

How bad? The crowd about me were bloodthirsty, fully on for flogging the dead horse but I have to admit it's not like I was having the time of my life, I was easily rankled. We didn't exchange words, the lads on the pitch were doing the talking for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement