Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was yer team named for the Galway game at the weekend ? Just wondering did Darragh O Connell make the panel for the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Generally announce the team after training tonight .. just after 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Out for year from what i hear.

(decent source)

Spot on!

Dublin SHC v Galway

http://gyazo.com/8cf631fd8247a10232b625a5487e3e7b

According to Cuala they've 4 named and 2 on the bench, I've nothing on the replacements yet so O'Connell maybe 1 of the 2

• Advertisement

Spot on!

:D .. yeah it's like the stable lads that give ya a whisper on some nag .. rep is torn to shreds ;)

DoctaDee wrote: »
    :D .. yeah it's like the stable lads that give ya a whisper on some nag .. rep is torn to shreds ;)

Twas me Father told me a few weeks back after he met an old pal of his that's involved somewhat with Fingallians.
    Maybe he(they) thought it was worse at the time.

Delighted he was off, Flynn the best pound for pounder in the Country.

Strangely enough I don't think it's a game that Flynn needs to play - I'd be quite happy to see Tomás Brady take up the slack

DoctaDee wrote: »
    ................. According to Cuala they've 4 named and 2 on the bench, I've nothing on the replacements yet so O'Connell maybe 1 of the 2

If I'm right in thinking that Colm Cronin is one of the 2 replacements and AFAIK Oisín Gough has left the panel .. the chances are fairly strong that O'Connell is the 2nd Cuala replacement on the panel ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think Im right in saying that the footballers starting 15 is 13 Northside and 2 south side whilst the hurlers are 14 south and 1 north. Not trying to start any north/south argument, I know the NS has a lot of strong football teams but Im surprised that with the work done to push hurling in the last 10 or so years by the county board that it seems to be the SS clubs that have benefitted most. Anyone any ideas on how this worked out this way? I know there are players like Kilkenny that are NS based who could be starting for the hurlers if they threw their hats in but it seems quite lopsided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Salmocab, the 15 footballers are from Dublin and the 15 hurlers are from Dublin. That's all that matters. North, south, east or west; city or county, they represent Dublin. The problems about strength in different areas is an issue for the county board, the clubs and for another day. At 2pm and 4pm tomorrow, the players on the field and the bench represent Dublin. That'll do for me, and I am sure anyone else too. Up the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Flukey wrote: »
    Salmocab, the 15 footballers are from Dublin and the 15 hurlers are from Dublin. That's all that matters. North, south, east or west; city or county, they represent Dublin. The problems about strength in different areas is an issue for the county board, the clubs and for another day. At 2pm and 4pm tomorrow, the players on the field and the bench represent Dublin. That'll do for me, and I am sure anyone else too. Up the Dubs.

Yeah I get that and made it clear I wasn't looking for a North South argument but this is the Dublin GAA thread so the obvious place to ask the question about how it came about. Ill be in Croker tomorrow cheering both teams on.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

Yep Darragh O' Connell is on the Dublin Hurling panel for tomorrow's game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

hupskip wrote: »

Heard he is starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hupskip wrote: »

Fine hurler, while of course it would be better for us if he was lining out for Kerry, if he does well for Dublin it helps bring even more spotlight to hurling in the coubty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Bring on Laois or Kikdare,we'll have them blown away by the 10th minute.

COYBIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I know the opposition was very poor but that was a great performance from the footballers yesterday. Some of the movement and score taking was fantastic. The goals in particular were all crackers. I think Dublin spent the entire league campaign preparing for a blanket defence and at times it made for some pretty dour viewing, yesterday was the first time in a while they were able to express themselves again and I think they enjoyed it. Looks as though it'll be another pretty routine march through Leinster.

As for the hurlers, disappointing performance in many ways. They never seemed to have the intensity you would expect for a game like that. The win was there for them and they still couldn't take it. There seems to be a big problem in closing out games for this team. The full forward line in particular didn't do enough for me. There were so many long balls dropped inside the Galways 40 meter line that a Galway defender was first to by a couple of yards. Hopefully they can do better the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Bring on Laois or Kikdare,we'll have them blown away by the 10th minute.

COYBIB.

I hope not, I'd rather we were given a competitive game tbh. I won't hold my breath though.

Who got MOTM yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Who got MOTM yesterday?
    Mark Schutte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Who got MOTM yesterday?

Ciaran Kilkenny in the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone know if Connolly suffered an injury or was just hauled off for his self indulgence yesterday?

Not a popular thought with those i shared it with but it struck me yesterday 14 players were playing to hold their place and then you had Connolly. His work rate was shocking when compared to CK and PF and his refusal to take the simple option stank.

Contrary to popular opinion i actually thought the hurling was a good game. Rushe shouldn't have started played wing forward. I don't know if it was to isolate him against someone other than Tannion but it didn't work. When he switched to the centre he had a much greater influence and Sutcliffe started to hoover up the breaking ball. Hope they start that way on Saturday.

We found it hard (Durkin and COC especially) to stop their forwards but i'd be quietly confident we can maintain the edge we have over them in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

corny wrote: »
    Anyone know if Connolly suffered an injury or was just hauled off for his self indulgence yesterday?

Not a popular thought with those i shared it with but it struck me yesterday 14 players were playing to hold their place and then you had Connolly. His work rate was shocking when compared to CK and PF and his refusal to take the simple option stank.

In fairness to Connolly, for a game that was practically over in the first 15 minutes he can be forgiven for taking his foot off the pedal in an early champo game against poor opposition.

He's been full tilt for both club (both codes) and county now for onwards of two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Any views on how strong the Dublin U-21 team is for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

BKWDR wrote: »
    In fairness to Connolly, for a game that was practically over in the first 15 minutes he can be forgiven for taking his foot off the pedal in an early champo game against poor opposition.

He's been full tilt for both club (both codes) and county now for onwards of two years.

No, he can't imo. On Sunday, you had the likes of Bernard and Kev Mc and Paul Flynn working their arses off. What entitles DC to the "I couldn't be bothered" attitude that he frequently displays in games like these? Nothing imo. For all the natural ability that he oozes, it is one aspect of his game that I dislike. It sends a terrible message to the other players that are fighting tooth and nail for a place on the team & the lads who are working their way back from serious injuries.

If he is tired after a long couple of years, than Jim Gavin needs to rest him & not play him. But if he is playing, then I expect the same level of effort from him, that every one else is putting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Spot on ProudDUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Sure we don't know what the situation was, maybe it was in the plan for him not to play the full 70. Maybe he's not 100%.

If he had seriously messed up hadn't shown up from the first minute we'd have a case. But to look at the game as a whole I don't see it being a problem or DC being all together that bad.

But we can't sit here and slate one of the best footballers in the country because he let off the gas a bit or played a few wayward passes. His work ethic for both club and county speaks for itself. He might have been taken off for 101 reasons. We don't question why Bernard Brogan was taken off for being injured or self indulgent and he's had plenty of howlers this season already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

This is a habitual thing that he does, year in and year out. It is not just a case of him having an off day on Sunday. And no one is slating him. It is an honest opinion of an aspect of his game that could be worked on. As vice captain of the team, he should be setting an example to others on all aspects of the game. The blue tinted glasses are not so nailed onto my forehead that I believe our players are immune to such an assessment, just because they are very talented.

I'm by no means defending DC, but I felt that Kilkenny was guilty of a lot of over indulgence too in his play (couldn't fault his workrate tho) - and he wins MOTM :confused:, well it's all opinions I suppose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Originally Posted by BKWDR View Post

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No, he can't imo. On Sunday, you had the likes of Bernard and Kev Mc and Paul Flynn working their arses off. What entitles DC to the "I couldn't be bothered" attitude that he frequently displays in games like these? Nothing imo. For all the natural ability that he oozes, it is one aspect of his game that I dislike. It sends a terrible message to the other players that are fighting tooth and nail for a place on the team & the lads who are working their way back from serious injuries.

If he is tired after a long couple of years, than Jim Gavin needs to rest him & not play him. But if he is playing, then I expect the same level of effort from him, that every one else is putting in.

I agree with BKWRD. A meaningless game over after 10 minutes. Why would Connolly bust a gut risking injury when he is a nailed on starter. Don't agree that it sends a bad message to other players. Everybody on that Dublin panel will know their spot in the pecking order and what they need to do to move up the ranks. If that means some lads have to try harder than Connolly in a total mismatch so be it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement