Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Yip decent game to be fair, Donegals use of the ball very good. Cork decision making poor.

We have no chance of winning the All Ireland this year.
    From what i can see of the league campaign, there's been zero improvements from last year. Same ol' shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Did we make a single turnover second half?

Mass defence and no tackling.

Referee was very poor second half, not sure how it looked on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Slattsy wrote: »
    We have no chance of winning the All Ireland this year.
    From what i can see of the league campaign, there's been zero improvements from last year. Same ol' shíte.
    I'll try and explain this for you
    Dublin got beaten on the counter attack last year by going too attack kevin keegan style
    Gavin had the balls courage and conviction to say I was wrong I messed up but I won't do it again , well go defensive but we'll still attack

Now no change from last year you need to research this imo a bit more
    Dublin with two -94 conceded only have the best defensive record so far in this league so that's to most observers I think I'd be fair enough to say is actually one hugely significant change that imo shows Dublin or kerry will win the all Ireland abs and are actually imo so far ahead of the rest despite still in transition it's not even funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Was Bernard on the bench today? I felt we really missed him even though he hasn't been firing on all cylinders this year. I agree with thinkstoomuch1 that we have gone a bit defensive for the right reasons after the semi final drubbing last year. One problem I have though is when we do attack we seem bereft of ideas. The way the Monaghan set up today they left so much space inside 30 meters of their own goal and I couldn't understand why we didn't try playing a few kick passes into our full forward line. It was like we didn't trust ourselves to win 50/50 balls near the Monaghan goal. We don't need to win it every time, all it takes is one or two and we could have gotten a goal which may have killed them off then and there. Hopefully by Championship time BB will be back and we might be a bit more willing to take chances in the final third of the pitch.

• Advertisement

Its same old story against teams that sit back and play the blanket, sorry i should have clarified that a bit better.

Its same old story against teams that sit back and play the blanket, sorry i should have clarified that a bit better.

Sorry but I still disagree
    How is the same old story
    Last year donegal tore ye a new one this year ye hold shape and defence is outstanding
    Ye won unlike last year against donegal and beat monaghan who were up for it and it was better intensity than some games
    Ye have to refine it of course but yere clearly we'll on the road to doing that and ye imo had more in ye thus all subs Dublin saw no benefit rightly so hammer monaghan twice in two weeks
    In truth ye were always in control never in danger loosing this and this one point defeat will take the hype of ye for next week

Was a free given at the end for the push on cluxton?

We struggle and continue to struggle against the blanket. Class shone through today to get us over the line.

Bad choices, poor kicking, lack of movement, Connolly coming deep, Rock doing nothing from open play, MDM running into blind avenues, players too close to each when they should spread across, lack of cutting edge, no one willing (rarely) to take on the distance points, etc etc - exact same as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Sorry but 0-17 against the "blanket" isnt bad scoring.

• Advertisement

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Sorry but 0-17 against the "blanket" isnt bad scoring.

Would Cork, Kerry, Mayo or even Donegal have scored 17 today? Definitely.

I see the same old signs as previous years, ah maybe im just a bit negative after that performance.

Lots of time to improve :)

I see the same old signs as previous years, ah maybe im just a bit negative after that performance.

It was the defending or lack of that has me more worried tbh

Would Cork, Kerry, Mayo or even Donegal have scored 17 today? Definitely.

No they wouldn't
    Forget donegal today as they had no interest in that game with Tyrone looming
    Cork couldn't break down donegal blanket in league game few weeks back a more accurate reflection

naughtb4 wrote: »
    It was the defending or lack of that has me more worried tbh

I worry for the rest of the country if Dublin think today or lowest concession scores league with 2-94 is lack of defending in eight games
    If that's bad defending then no team has a chance to best good defence which must surely concede less
    Fact is Dublin defensive structure has been outstanding so far this league and it's the best in division one
    That's tell it own story imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin have used 35 players in 8 League games.Appearances+Subs for 2015 League Games

Cooper, Jonny 8
    McManamon, Kevin 8
    Rock, Dean 8
    McCaffrey, Jack 7+1
    Brady, Tomas 6+2
    Bastic, Denis 7
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 5+2
    McMahon, Philip 5+2
    Culligan, Eoin 6
    O'Carroll, Rory 6
    Small, John 5+1
    Brogan, Bernard 4+2
    Costello, Cormac 3+3
    Fenton, Brian 2+4
    Cluxton, Stephen 5 (4 Clean Sheets. Conceeded 1 Goal)
    Flynn, Paul 4+1
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3+2
    McCarthy, James 2+3
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 2+3
    Connolly, Diarmuid 4
    Daly, Darren 3+1
    O'Sullivan, Cian 2+2
    Andrews, Paddy 1+3
    Byrne, Davy (Ballymun) 1+3
    Currie, Sean 3 (2 Clean Sheets. Conceeded 1 Goal)
    Carthy, Shane 2+1
    Fitzsimons, Michael 2+1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2+1
    Byrne, David (Olafs) 1+2
    Devereux, Nicky 1+2
    Lowndes, Eric 1+2
    Reddin, Ciaran 0+2
    Deegan, Michael 0+1
    McHugh, Conor 0+1
    Ryan, Philip 0+1

Dublin have scored 7-110 and conceded 2-94 in 8 League games. Scorers 2015 League Games

Rock, Dean 1-42
    Brogan, Bernard 2-6
    McCaffrey, Jack 1-6
    Brady, Tomas 0-7
    McManamon, Kevin 0-7
    Fenton, Brian 1-3
    Connolly, Diarmuid 0-5
    Flynn, Paul 0-5
    Costello, Cormac 1-2
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-4
    McMahon, Philip 0-4
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 0-4
    O'Gara, Eoghan 0-4
    Bastic, Denis 1-1
    Byrne, Davy (Ballymun) 0-2
    Carthy, Shane 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-2
    Andrews, Paddy 0-1
    Deegan, Michael 0-1
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0-1
    Ryan, Philip 0-1

Dublin have used 34 players in 5 O'Byrne Cup games.Appearances+Subs for 2015 O'Byrne Cup

Brady, Tomas 5
    Culligan, Eoin 5
    Devereux, Nicky 5
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 5
    Rock, Dean 5
    Small, John 5
    Daly, Darren 5
    Fitzsimons, Michael 4+1
    Bastick, Denis 4
    O'Gara, Eoghan 4
    Hannigan, Graham 3+1
    Ryan, Philip 2+2
    Carthy, Shane 1+3
    Scully, Niall 0+4
    Costello, Cormac 3
    McManamon, Kevin 3
    Molloy, Lorcan 3 (1 Clean Sheet)
    Collins, Niall 2+1
    O'Carroll, Rory 2+1
    Cooper, Jonny 1+2
    Dawson, Harry 1+2
    Lowndes, Stuart 0+3
    Currie, Sean 2 (1 Clean Sheet)
    McCaffrey, Jack 1+1
    Dunleavy, Craig 1+1
    Deegan, Michael 0+2
    Kavanagh, Ian 0+2
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0+2
    O'Higgins, Paddy 0+2
    McCarrick, Alan 0+1
    McGowan, Ross 0+1
    McGuire, Conor 0+1
    McLoughlin, Diarmuid 0+1
    McMahon, Philip 0+1

Dublin have scored 3-80 and conceded 3-43 in 5 O'Byrne Cup games. Scorers 2015 O'Byrne Cup Games

Rock, Dean 0-38
    O'Gara, Eoghan 2-7
    McManamon, Kevin 1-6
    Brady, Tomas 0-7
    O'Conghaile, Emmett 0-6
    Carthy, Shane 0-5
    Ryan, Philip 0-3
    Costello, Cormac 0-2
    Deegan, Michael 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-1
    Culligan, Eoin 0-1
    McLoughlin, Diarmuid 0-1
    Scully, Niall 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Me and dad had the same discussion on the walk back to the car after the game and we came down on the same side as you. "There wasn't much out there today that said we'll be around in September". That was the cue for a long conversation on how maybe we're too hard on Dublin and need to sit back and take stock of where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hard to know what to make of today really. Always great to get the win, even better to see things so tight at the back. But dear God, the lack of creativity in the full forward line is truly worrying, this late in the league. No spark of energy from anywhere else in the line, except maybe Kev Mc. With O'Gara gone for the year and BB's fitness always questionable these days, its time for others to step up, show some initiative & make the effort, on a consistent basis & I'm just not seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Another day and Monaghan might not have been so clinical. They were so accurate, some great scores and very few wides from them. I don't think Dublin ever looked in much danger really and I thought it was Monaghans accuracy that kept them in the game and McManus of course. We scored plenty against a defensive team, I don't think its as bad as what's being made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Full forward line is a worry for sure, the signs were there last season. I don't see a top performer like a McManus or O'Donoghue level guy there to bail us out when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

naughtb4 wrote:
    Was a free given at the end for the push on cluxton?

I don't think he was pushed. I think he dummied going for the ball, just as he was about to touch it he pulled his hands down fooling the inside forwards and it went wide. I might be wrong but it's something he does every now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

That was the cue for a long conversation on how maybe we're too hard on Dublin and need to sit back and take stock of where we are.
    Most Dublin football fans are horrendously hard on Dublin. It amazes me how hard they are. Its something I've noticed a lot of over the last year especially.

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't think he was pushed. I think he dummied going for the ball, just as he was about to touch it he pulled his hands down fooling the inside forwards and it went wide. I might be wrong but it's something he does every now and then

Cheers, hard to tell from where we were sitting, risky enough move!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm not worried. We are coming good and if I'm being honest I think we would have beaten Kerry last season in the final, Donegal was a bad match-up where we played on their terms. Right now I'd say we'll be there or thereabouts again crunch time.

The problem for me is that the problem areas are still the problem areas (midfield, centre back, maybe corner back but that's more an issue with the system), and our full forward line isn't really firing either. I'd have loved Costello to have come through but he seems a bit frail. I might be nitpicking but that's the standard it takes to win All Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Most Dublin football fans are horrendously hard on Dublin. It amazes me how hard they are. Its something I've noticed a lot of over the last year especially.

Yeah this is partly true, I wouldn't say most but there's a sizeable number in the grumbling masses. I went onto The Hill yesterday for a change of scenery and there was a level of discontent which I can only put down to over expectation.

Look to be fair to Monaghan and Malachy O'Rourke having lost the previous 2 encounters by a combined 20 something points there had to be a level of learning that they'd bring to the game yesterday and in fairness they did - I think their game plan was to stifle and keep it close and they walked away with an honourable defeat that they can take into the Ulster Championship with excellent displays from McManus & Hughes. They are a formidable defensive unit when they can get set and play the game on their terms and for the vast majority of the game yesterday (unlike the previous 2 meetings) they could afford to do that.

I'd definetely be a glass half full type after the league campaign - with all the clamour around blanket defences we beat them all bar Tyrone, and history will show that those games are notoriously tight affairs. Something I'd said previously and thinkstoomuch again brought it to our attention is that Dublin have the best defence in the league this year, so while others maybe looking to improvement further up the field it can't be denied that Jim Gavin has looked to other defensive aspects of the team.

While I'd respect everyones right to an opinion, the man on the ditch comment "there's no all ireland in that team" would seem a little OTT bearing in mind that to my way of thinking they've been the best team in Ireland the last 2 and a bit years. Ta

Monaghans kicking was extremely impressive yesterday, some great scores

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Dublin fans are very hard on a team that has 2 All Irelands in 20 years.

I was at both of the games over the last 2 weeks, and the difference came down to accuracy and finishing off moves.

Dublin had that in spades last week, and Monaghan were poor. Some days it comes off, some days it doesn't.

Monaghan players are expected to follow their men if they go into the Monaghan half, this is hardly blanket defence as it's the same for Dublin.

Dublin won the majority of kickouts, so the players had to stay with their men.

An enjoyable game, and probably the best performance/result for both teams to kick on.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Monaghans kicking was extremely impressive yesterday, some great scores

I always felt McManus was riding a bit of luck but i was thoroughly convinced yesterday he is the real deal. Double marked - Yet always managed to get hands on the ball and while Byrne was trying to be smart sticking to his left, McManus proved more than capable hitting them with his right also. If i could put myself in an impartial observers position - he was great to watch.

Dublin i did feel lacked a bit of penetration up front. Kev mc is like a bull when on the ball but if you force him to be the only one to contribute in that way he will gas out and be subbed quite early. I felt the rest of the forwards were not great. Kilkenny can win ball and is a very good distributor - but I wish he was sharper on his feet to turn/move.

Positives i took from it:
      decent fielding from Dublin (even though its most likely Bastick won't get a start in Championship)
      A hands on example of what needs to be changed defensively when coming up against top, scoring forwards
      Clear evidence we need a reshuffle in the inside forward line when it comes to ensuring scores when in tight spaces against a packed last quarter

What was up with BB yesterday anyway ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thought they were two low intensity games yesterday it was a flat day overall. Best part of yesterday was Corks corner forwards IMHO.

Not too many Dubs arrived early for the first game.

Very few from Cork went at all. They should play the final somewhere else closer to Cork or just in Cork. Possibly top of the league gets the game at home, a bit of an incentive to finish top. Would have made Cork concentrate more on Derry last week rather than it being a nothing game.

A large chunk of the Donegal support left after their game.

I thought it was there for monaghan yesterday. Of all four teams it would have meant the most to them.

Our forwards didn't really gel. Rory OCarrol was missed at full back. We were shown up again in the corners.

Bastic put in a good shift, but Monaghans lack a ball winner in midfield made us look a little better. Thought O'Sullivan looked sharp. Had some nice interceptions.

It was a good run out for Small and Fenton, Andrews looked shot shy again when he came on. Kilkenny moved well again, however he seems to have cured his dropped short point efforts by not shooting at all. Thought it was Mcmanamans least effective game this year. One really nice point but largely ran into trouble and gave the ball away a bit too. I agree the forwards are not gelling.

Thought McAdam did a decent job on Flynn. Monaghan learned a lot in a week. Although it was not ideal playing the same team one week later. Not starting O Carroll and Brady made it harder for us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement