Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

Slattsy wrote: »
    Well what did we make of the match yesterday?

Didn't see anything from either side that would make us lose any sleep. Mayo looked good in the second half but really think that was down to Kerry coming in after the break with negative tactics. Completely backfired.

Expect Mayo to win the replay, Kerry had a big chance yesterday and blew it. Big time. Fair play to them for getting back in at the end though.

Can't wait for Sunday now.

Not aimed at you Slattsy and don't mean to put words in your mouth but i think people are forgetting how hard championship football is against these teams. Meath, Monaghan, Wexford capitulate readily, these ****ers won't!

We beat Kerry on a breaking ball last year and we beat Mayo by a point in a game of absolute attrition. Yes, i'd favour us again against both but no way would i suggest Dublin have nothing to fear from them.

When Mayo up the work rate i think they're very capable of matching Dublin, as proven by the first half last year. The problem for them is they can't do that for a full 70 minutes and when they don't they invariably come off second best in general play against good teams (Dublin especially).

I'd be slightly more confident against Kerry but i was like that last year too. They've some bloody good footballers for a team supposedly rebuilding.

IMO It remains to be seen if Dublin are stronger than they were last year because they haven't played any team you can use as a yardstick.

Anyway, all conjecture. Donegal first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Watching it yesterday I heard a few people say Dublin would beat the pick of the two teams and if it was a case that Dublin playing to their peak were playing either Kerry or Mayo at peak I think Dublin would win handily.

That being said, finals have a way of being close and while I definitely think Dublin will win in the end I think whoever ye meet will at least give ye a decent sweat to enjoy before the celebrations!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Dublin are the best team left in the championship by a distance. Doesn't equate to them winning it as we all know. That's what makes sport so great but you would fancy Dublin against both those yesterday.

The only thing that would worry me as a dub would be Mayo. I mean sooner or later they have to win won don't they. Even a stopped clock is right occasionally!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Anyone else think that Joe Brolly is really trying to take the pressure of Donegal coming into this semi-final on Sunday? He said a few times yesterday he would fear for Kerry against the Dubs in the final, Mayo are the best suited team to beat the Dubs in the final etc... I don't believe for one minute that Joe Brolly thinks that McGuiness and Donegal can't possibly beat Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Joe Brolly is really trying to take the pressure of Donegal coming into this semi-final on Sunday? He said a few times yesterday he would fear for Kerry against the Dubs in the final, Mayo are the best suited team to beat the Dubs in the final etc... I don't believe for one minute that Joe Brolly thinks that McGuiness and Donegal can't possibly beat Dublin.

What pressure!?

The entire country bar myself and Brendan Devenney think Donegal are going to get annihilated. They're breezing into this semi final. Years ago the thought of playing a match like this would have crumbled Donegal. With Jim and the way he operates, and this current crop I genuinely believe this is something they'll look forward too.

Thie great Dublin team (the all ireland champions) in a semi final in a packed Croke Park. What more could you possibly want as a footballer.

Don't think they're under any pressure and Brolly is simply being Brolly and weighing up the most likely team to win and backing them to the hilt. He's a cure hoor is Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

There has been an inevitability around Dublins march to Sam this year since probably the Mayo game last March - the subsequent 17 point turnaround on Cork and complete dismantling of Derry. The championship so far has given further proof to the argument ............ but personally I don't think it can continue in the same manner. The nearer the finish line the harder it will be to get over. They won't even have to play poorly to lose against any of the teams left, so the expectancy to keep performing at the current levels is a psychological drain too.

These are a well grounded group of players, they'll hopefully find a way over the next 2 games but there'll be a hell of a battle to come

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Dublin took time to take care of Kerry and Mayo last year. I do think that they have advanced even more but finals are different. There are just so many outside influences that can impact. Have Dublin a plan if Cluxton gets injured, sent off? Dublin are better than whats left but they have to convert that in to success

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Collie D wrote: »
    Anyone know if the game is on Sky this weekend? I'll be away so unfortunately will be trying to find the nearest Irish pub. Would imagine there'll be a better chance of seeing it in Barcelona on Sky than on RTE.

Also, if anyone has any pointers on decent Irish pubs within walking distance of La Sagrada Familia will be much appreciated.

EDIT: I know I can Google it but I'm in work and anything alcohol related is blocked

Game will be on both sky and rte, sky sports 3 can sometimes be hard to get abroad though. Would have thought you could find an irish bar with rte in Barcelona.

Good test run for the game on Saturday at least, so any bar claiming to have Sundays game should have Saturdays also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Yeah, its on both RTE and Sky
    copacetic wrote: »
    Game will be on both sky and rte, sky sports 3 can sometimes be hard to get abroad though. Would have thought you could find an irish bar with rte in Barcelona.

Good test run for the game on Saturday at least, so any bar claiming to have Sundays game should have Saturdays also.

Thanks to both.

Good thinking about the test run on Saturday ie an excuse to hit the pub two days in a row :pac: Was away for a Championship game a couple of years back and spent the entire game walking between the two or three Irish pubs who had claimed to be showing Dublin game but didn't have RTE.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Thanks to both.

Good thinking about the test run on Saturday ie an excuse to hit the pub two days in a row :pac: Was away for a Championship game a couple of years back and spent the entire game walking between the two or three Irish pubs who had claimed to be showing Dublin game but didn't have RTE.

Yeah, consistent similar experience when away, places always claim to have every game up until you turn up and they start fiddling with laptops etc!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Alot of Kerry veterans down here in the Kingdom expect Donegal to upset the Dubs on Sunday, however truth be told Kerry are itching to hammer Dublin. Dublin are far from a great team and got lucky with McMenamins goal against Kerry which caught Kerry on the hop last year. and lets not forget Mayo should have beaten Dublin who played their worst game of the year and still managed to stumble over the line thanks in no small part to referee Joe McQuillan and Mayo's annual Croker Choker.

Most likely Dublin will win but if Donegal can up their ante and get back into their 2012 form and I would not be one bit surprised if Donegal finally exposes this average enough Dublin team. Donegal will throw the blanket, sheets and pillow at Dublin and Dublin will have to be scoring from outside 50 yards out to get past the blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Don't feed the troll lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Stinicker wrote: »
    Alot of Kerry veterans down here in the Kingdom expect Donegal to upset the Dubs on Sunday, however truth be told Kerry are itching to hammer Dublin. Dublin are far from a great team and got lucky with McMenamins goal against Kerry which caught Kerry on the hop last year. and lets not forget Mayo should have beaten Dublin who played their worst game of the year and still managed to stumble over the line thanks in no small part to referee Joe McQuillan and Mayo's annual Croker Choker.

Most likely Dublin will win but if Donegal can up their ante and get back into their 2012 form and I would not be one bit surprised if Donegal finally exposes this average enough Dublin team. Donegal will throw the blanket, sheets and pillow at Dublin and Dublin will have to be scoring from outside 50 yards out to get past the blanket.

After all the nonsense, you still say it :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

EICVD wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll lads.

Its hardly subtle or cryptic.

Actually quite enjoy Stinickers commentary and how he disappears when Kerry lose. All good fun.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Anyone know if the game is on Sky this weekend? I'll be away so unfortunately will be trying to find the nearest Irish pub. Would imagine there'll be a better chance of seeing it in Barcelona on Sky than on RTE.

Also, if anyone has any pointers on decent Irish pubs within walking distance of La Sagrada Familia will be much appreciated.

EDIT: I know I can Google it but I'm in work and anything alcohol related is blocked

The Michael Collins is your best bet around La Sagrada Familia. Says here (http://michaelcollinspubs.com/sport/) that they're showing it but there are a good few games on at the same time, so probably best to get on to them to make sure.

All the genuine Irish pubs in Barcelona should have Irish Sky viewing cards,so you should be able to watch it on RTE. Any that don't will definitely have Sky Sports.

Thanks for stopping by during your annual fortnights holidays into the GAA Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Dublin are far from a great team and got lucky with McMenamins goal against Kerry which caught Kerry on the hop last year. and lets not forget Mayo should have beaten Dublin who played their worst game of the year and still managed to stumble over the line thanks in no small part to referee Joe McQuillan and Mayo's annual Croker Choker.

You think you'd know the correct spelling of his name by now, considering it is plastered all over the back page of your newspapers every September. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Never forget Tomas Quinns tweet after last years semi final. He spoke about Brendan and used the hashtag #KerryKiller

I LOL'd at that one!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Never forget Tomas Quinns tweet after last years semi final. He spoke about Brendan and used the hashtag #KerryKiller

I LOL'd at that one!

Thats the brother ... Kevin is the assassin ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What's the key match up lads?

I have a feeling he won't start O'Gara. I hope he holds him back TBH. Its going to be interesting its possibly the strongest 14 vs the strongest 3 left in the championship.

Gallagher vs McAuley I think the Donegal man might win the first half but not the second.

McBrearty could cause problems I'd expect Cooper or NcMahon to pick him up I could see one having trouble with him and a switch being made can't see Fitz staying with him for some reason.

Heres my team

Cluxton
    McMahon ocarrol cooper
    McCarty deveroux Nolan
    O'Sullivan MDM
    Connelly Rock Flynn
    AB Costello BB

For some reason I could see Brady suiting this game
    OGara McCaffery KMcM and Bastic from the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

What time is the announcement of the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/dublin-gaa-football-team-news-4121568

Dublin GAA football team news: Ger Brennan out of All-Ireland semi-final clash with Donegal on Sunday

Am i the only one who is glad of this?

I can't say i would be happy with a player (not necess Brennan) who has missed league and championship all of a sudden getting a start in the semi final. Kinda felt the same last year with Alan Brogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Doubt he was ever in line for a start anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I agree. I doubt if he was going to see much, if any, game time, whether he was recently re injured or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I don't know lads, when Ger has his good days...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I don't know lads, when Ger has his good days...

The last day i saw Ger have a good day was March 17th. Too long ago when you consider what is on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭bren2001

BKWDR wrote: »
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/dublin-gaa-football-team-news-4121568

Dublin GAA football team news: Ger Brennan out of All-Ireland semi-final clash with Donegal on Sunday

Am i the only one who is glad of this?

I can't say i would be happy with a player (not necess Brennan) who has missed league and championship all of a sudden getting a start in the semi final. Kinda felt the same last year with Alan Brogan.

Ger has put in years of service for Dublin. If he was fit and Jim felt he was the best player, I would hate to think he wouldn't start because he wasn't around for the earlier games. Ultimately I want my best 15 on the pitch, if Ger is part of that (I don't believe he is), then I want him starting at 6.

Aside from that, I was talking to one of his physios a few weeks back. He seemed to think he would be back by now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

he was certainly very good in the final last year. I was about to add him to the list with Brady as a player that would be handy against Donegal.

IF Dublin get to ta final with Mayo he'd be handy to have too as he's not bad checking AOS running through.

All that aside Nicky Deveroux seems to be growing into the position, size, height and speed and can carry the ball ball well. Does not distribute it as well as Brennan (Corny :)) but he's certainly looked good so far, no great tests so far but still.

Donegal would certainly try to target Brennan if he was on the pitch IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

I watched the last ten minutes of the 2011 final last night on TG4. Amazing how winning is everything. I'd completely forgotten that it was a relatively low scoring game 1-12 to 1-11. For those that give out about negative tactics, watch how many Dublin players in our own half in the last five minutes. A brilliant day.

• Advertisement

cant believe i missed that, I'd love to see it again, I should really get the DVD if there is one, I'd watch the Donegal game again too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement