Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Slattsy wrote: »
    Its few and far between the 'fans' of other counties that actually respect us. I always find the Kerry boys seem to in my experience.
    Most are blinded by pure jealousy and hatred.

Sure i think its great craic myself :D

I think you're greatly mistaken,much of it is simply banter....country v city,not need for any siege mentality.Sure is'nt half of Dublin from the country.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dog_pig

It was cringeworthy to see all the donegal fans shouting for monaghan and waving donegal flags whenever monaghan scored, after monaghan fans blatently shouted for armagh. The mentality is that dublin = bad people, that's what people outside are raised to believe.

I take it you found it equally as cringeworthy when the Dublin fans cheered after Armagh scored their goal?

Clearly Donegal fans would prefer to play Monaghan in the semi-final over Dublin.

Lighten up, Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

keane2097 wrote: »
    I met Kev Mc Saturday night (probably bumped into you unknown to ourselves as well!), told him to stop scoring goals against Kerry and that he was a bollocks :pac:

LOL... I take it you were near the door when ya called him that

I have to say I've met a good few of the current panel and can honestly say there's not a billy big balls among them - seem to be well grounded to the point of humble. That's not to say they're shrinking violets, ask for an opinion and they'll give ya one !

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBF I'm sure the same said supporters were pretty gutted.Try imagining what it's like to be a Mayo supporter having just lost your seventh final in a row since 1989,don't think the sensitivities of Dublin supporters were top of their agenda.I met lots of salt of the earth Dublin supporters afterwards in one of their locals and congratulated them.

The same occurred in 2012 in SF sitting the row behind some of COC's Ballintubber mates. End of the game the lads are swinging one another round, my BIL beside me is on suicide watch, but as I said to him .. that was the same joy for us last year, so we shook their hands and wished them the best. It is sport at the end of the day - Monday morning still has ya back to the wheel no matter what - AI wins and yer back on Tuesday at the earliest (just letting ya know in case :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DoctaDee wrote: »
    LOL... I take it you were near the door when ya called him that

I have to say I've met a good few of the current panel and can honestly say there's not a billy big balls among them - seem to be well grounded to the point of humble. That's not to say they're shrinking violets, ask for an opinion and they'll give ya one !

That's been my experience as well which is brilliant to be able to say. In fairness, that goes for most of the GAA fraternity. I remember last year watching the All Star awards and turning to my housemate and saying "Jaysus Podge Collins looks like he's be great craic" - three hours later inside in Coppers and he was buying us jagerbombs!

Kev Mc looked a bit confused when I grabbed him, then had a good chuckle once the statement processed moving himself firmly into my "good egg" list!

• Advertisement

dog_pig wrote: »
    I take it you found it equally as cringeworthy when the Dublin fans cheered after Armagh scored their goal?

Clearly Donegal fans would prefer to play Monaghan in the semi-final over Dublin.

Lighten up, Christ.

Psssst ... The OP you quoted is a Donegal chap

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It was cringeworthy to see all the donegal fans shouting for monaghan and waving donegal flags whenever monaghan scored, after monaghan fans blatently shouted for armagh. The mentality is that dublin = bad people, that's what people outside are raised to believe.

Ulster county support always shout for the Ulster team, would be remarkable if they didn't.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

K-9 wrote: »
    Ulster county support always shout for the Ulster team, would be remarkable if they didn't.

Lol
    So if Armagh were playing say Meath or Galway you'd be shouting for Armagh??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep. Shouted for Derry and Tyrone before as well. Petty local rivalry gets superceded by wanting to see Ulster teams do well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I always shout for Kildare and even Meath when they aren't playing us in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I always shout for Kildare and even Meath when they aren't playing us in fairness.

Holy God No!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

F.F.S. - get to Mass and pray for your soul

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kildare, fair enough but Meath? Are you old enough to remember to 80s/90s?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

They're our neighbours and in general I want to see Leinster teams do well.

Am I mad? :o
    Bambi wrote: »
    Kildare, fair enough but Meath? Are you old enough to remember to 80s/90s?

80s no, 90s yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

They're our neighbours and in general I want to see Leinster teams do well.

Am I mad? :o

80s no, 90s yes.

You are indeed mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

K-9 wrote: »
    Yep. Shouted for Derry and Tyrone before as well. Petty local rivalry gets superceded by wanting to see Ulster teams do well.

+1. As much as I go against any team that we are playing; once it is all said and done I like to see the Ulster teams do well if it aint at our expense.
    I wasn't jumping out of my seat cheering for Monaghan on Saturday nor was any Dgl fan that I seen. I would have liked to see my fellow Ulstermen do it but I applauded every score like those around me as I just delighted we got ourselves over the line into an AI semi that nobody gave us any chance of after the League Final.

To echo an earlier point raised by MMaker (I think); trust me plenty of us recognise Dublin have many knowledgeable fans and I know plenty who are amomg the finest I know and I go to my fair share of Dublin games with them myself considering CP is 35mins from my front door.
    We have plenty of plebs following Dgl as does every team but we're not all bad ;-)
    You have a phenomenal team and I like many thoroughly enjoy watching them play. As much as I would love to get to an AI Final I cannot see how we can do it but trust me if we are not there, like last year I wil be sitting in Croke Park cheering on both teams and applauding any score. If it aint Dgl may the best team win; if that is Dublin/Kerry/Mayo I like many will not mind.
    The 31st cannot come soon enough :-)

I cant wait for the 31st for two reasons
    1) I think it should be a really interesting game. I don't think D/G couldn't approach this game like they have their last two.
    2) I was on the Hill the last game, at the very edge looking on to the stands - Section 301. I hope that ludraman from Donegal who was in section 301 roaring at every Monaghan point and then shaking his fist at anyone on the hill who's eye he could catch. You know who you are because you were wearing a real fcuking stupid Donegal hat - it was like a kufi except is was in Yellow and Green - awful looking thing..... god love ye

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Are the hill tickets for dublin donegal gone already? Only nally showing up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

phishcakes wrote: »
    Are the hill tickets for dublin donegal gone already? Only nally showing up??

gaa.ie still have them

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

AGC wrote: »
    gaa.ie still have them

Thats were I tried, only nally showing up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I was on looking for a lad in work about 30 minutes ago and they had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

On the whole supporting your provincial team, why wouldn't you support Kildare or Meath, assuming they are playing a Mayo, Donegal, Kerry etc? I'd much rather see any other Leinster team win the All-Ireland than Mayo, or any other non-Leinster sob story that you can think of.

Remember the glory days of Leinster football in the late 90s and early 2000s. Dublin, Meath, Offaly, Kildare, Laois, and Westmeath all won the Leinster Championship in a nine year period. Of course I want Dublin to win Leinster, but it's also nice to see Leinster teams doing well in the All-Ireland series, or a good Leinster Championship if Dublin get knocked out early.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm a Dublin fan first, a Leinster fan second, and a fan of the GAA in general third!!

I have to admit that I'd be torn in a Meath V Mayo bout - I'd like to see a bit of the '96 lark again, still remember having to explain to a Spanish fella (in Spain) that, no, it wasn't part of the game!

I think, for me, it's this whole Rugby spill over - if you live east of the Shannon, South of the N1/A1 interchange and North of Tramore you, have to, as a 'duty', support Leinster Rugby.

Perhaps if they dug up the Railway Cup again it might galvanize my provincial feelings - until then i'll stick with who ever I wan't to (bar the Dubs)

On the whole supporting your provincial team, why wouldn't you support Kildare or Meath, assuming they are playing a Mayo, Donegal, Kerry etc? I'd much rather see any other Leinster team win the All-Ireland than Mayo, or any other non-Leinster sob story that you can think of.

Remember the glory days of Leinster football in the late 90s and early 2000s. Dublin, Meath, Offaly, Kildare, Laois, and Westmeath all won the Leinster Championship in a nine year period. Of course I want Dublin to win Leinster, but it's also nice to see Leinster teams doing well in the All-Ireland series, or a good Leinster Championship if Dublin get knocked out early.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm a Dublin fan first, a Leinster fan second, and a fan of the GAA in general third!!

I dont have any loyalty to Leinster at all :D

TBH, i dont really give a flying fúck about other teams and what they do. It means nothing to me what poxy teams like Donegal and Monaghan do.
    I'll only care when we play them.

I always like to see Kerry do well though and every year i hope its a Dublin v Kerry final. For the good of the game :)

I dont really mind Mayo either fwiw. When it comes to the crunch, teams that play football properly will always have my backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Any word on what size crowd they are expecting. Surely Donegal will have a massive crowd down and the senior tie is helped that the minor match is also Dubs v Donegal.
    I'm sure this semi will be close to a sell out 75'000 +

Tickets still available from what i can see. I'd be surprised if it wasnt a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

Will more then likely be a sell out, Semi-final ? I wouldn't be surprised if the hill was sold out already, Nally can be just as good craic. Donegal have a fair support so there could be a few brave soldiers on the hill.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I guess Meath picked up 2 AI's I dont know if Dublins 1 AI in 1995 falls into late 90's

I have a very unpopular view with some of our neighbors, but I think its true its an honest opinion.

I think in those years that Offaly, Kildare, Laois, and Westmeath won because Dublin and Meath had dropped off and were poor too. Signs on it none of those teams went far, Leinster football while competative was in a bad place then IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hill Tickets will be distributed to the clubs and held for Parnell Pass season ticket holders on the week after next. As far as I know the only tickets to go on general sale for the terrace will be for the Nally Stand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Slattsy wrote: »
    TBH, i dont really give a flying fúck about other teams and what they do. It means nothing to me what poxy teams like Donegal and Monaghan do.
    I'll only care when we play them.

I always like to see Kerry do well though and every year i hope its a Dublin v Kerry final. For the good of the game :)

I dont really mind Mayo either fwiw. When it comes to the crunch, teams that play football properly will always have my backing.

You holier than thou Dublin types are hilarious.

Makes me laugh that ye maintain to be such pure football fans, despite the fact that apparently ye're only able to appreciate one style of football (coincidentally the style that Dublin are playing at the minute :D)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement