Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

corny wrote: »
    Not sure it would have made much difference. We needed more than one extra body in defensive situations.

Yes you could play a blanket defence if you want - but that's not necessary.
    You can't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Playing attacking football and pressing the opposition up the pitch has yielded good results for us. One small tweak would make a big difference. You can't give up the central channel in front of goal. Even one player marking space would of helped here. Donegal pulled our guys all over the place to suit themselves. They walked the ball in to the goal then. And could have had a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

My main 'what if' at the moment - Dublin take O'Gara off at half time and put in Darren Daly standing on the D.

Donegal players running at the Dublin goal. No dublin player in front of them (trailing yards behind) Tactically inept. The pressing system is fine but anything taken to extremes is dangerous. Donegal adapted an extreme system after 2011 and found better results.

How about taking O'Gara off and leaving it at that? No other player in my time as a fan has ever had more disappointing days in a Dubs jersey than this guy. Another start yet again today. I hate to critise my own players but it has to be said he is not up to this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭omega man

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Ger Brenann's presence was missing today as he is a commander in the centre of the pitch.

This absolutely. It was amazing to see donegal win the ball in MF and then almost immediately create a goal scoring opportunity so often. Surely Gavin should have dropped an extra player in the back line after the first or second goal. I suppose based on the season so far he like many of us thought we could counter by just scoring more but alas it wasn't to be.

The big moment for me was Connolly's 1st half goal chance. Had he scored it I think we would have been 8 up. Surely game over then. In fairness to him he was excellent today along with Flynn, savage performances from them both.

Anyway we won 2 all Ireland's in 4 years so although I'm gutted i can take this one in the knowledge we've already achieved great things following such a long time in the wilderness and in the knowledge we'll be back for more next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

Yes you could play a blanket defence if you want - but that's not necessary.
    You can't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Playing attacking football and pressing the opposition up the pitch has yielded good results for us. One small tweak would make a big difference. You can't give up the central channel in front of goal. Even one player marking space would of helped here. Donegal pulled our guys all over the place to suit themselves. They walked the ball in to the goal then. And could have had a few more.

Would one extra body cure that? No evidence of that imo. Their gameplan of moving the ball with strong runners takes defenders out of the game. We had too many lads ball watching for one extra defender to make much of a difference. Just another defender for them to play the ball around.

It takes a dozen bodies for Donegal to secure the central channel lets not forget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

I take your point Corny. But I don't think it is necessary to become Donegal to beat Donegal. There is a middle ground. That's just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Ger Brenann's presence was missing today as he is a commander in the centre of the pitch.

Dublin won midfield for about the first 30 minutes.

Then it all started to slip away.....

O'Sullivan seemed to struggle a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Unusual game. First 30mins Dublin looked like the better team and then they fell apart. Then we saw Donegal 2012 appearing and Dublin just looked flat and flat out of ideas. McGuinness is some manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Dublin won midfield for about the first 30 minutes.

Then it all started to slip away.....

O'Sullivan seemed to struggle a bit
    Aye they just lost concentration and Donegal exploited the center of the pitch. Cooper wasn't up to the task and a passengar in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

An astonishingly poor last 50 mins in the context of what we've witnessed for the last 2 years. But sure what can ya do, I'm getting the god forbids ready now for back to skule I'd be doing it if we won too. At the end of the day its not gonna change our lives is it ? Its only a game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

It's a harsh lesson that needed to be learned in fairness gutted by it.
    The wave attack was really working in the first half of the first half! Then it all fell apart. It's just 2012 all over again!

Jesus some of the shooting was horrible.
    It was the one time I felt we needed a captain out the field to help sort the team out.
    Cluxton couldn't even have the team show him options for kickouts. At one kick out the entire team where looking the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Luckily I don't remember too much from yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Bad day at the office. I thought Jim got it wrong, too attacking too early in the second half. All the half backs and McMahon were basically forwards leaving Mick Fitz and ROC alone, Donegal are one of the best counter attacking sides in the Country and we saw that. I agree Brennan was missed.

That said, if Connolly put away that goal (I hate his lethargic finishes :mad: ) or O'Gara had played a better pass to Bernard in the first half when we were dominant, I'm confident we win. Donegal the better side overall though, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

It's a morning of "whatifery" here this morning. If only O'Gara had played a decent pass to Bernard when we were 4-1 up. If only DC had put his boot to through the ball with his goal chance. If only we'd been slightly more defensive, particularly JCoops. The hole created by his following the play gave Donegal far too much space to attack, particularly on their kick outs. Sickening feeling. Beaten by the better team.

I didn't watch the Sunday Game, so haven't heard any interviews other than the Donegal player on the pitch afterwards. I see Alan Brogan has retired. A great player for Dublin. Brilliant career, and I wish him all the best in the future.

Two things. While watching the match, particularly in the first half, I felt the ref gave 10 decisions in a row for Donegal. I had a quick flick through the match thread this morning and I see a number of contributors calling the ref our 16th man. Just shows that everybody feels the ref is against them.

Secondly well done to Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Past30Now wrote: »
    It's a morning of "whatifery" here this morning. If only O'Gara had played a decent pass to Bernard when we were 4-1 up. If only DC had put his boot to through the ball with his goal chance. If only we'd been slightly more defensive, particularly JCoops. The hole created by his following the play gave Donegal far too much space to attack, particularly on their kick outs. Sickening feeling. Beaten by the better team.

I didn't watch the Sunday Game, so haven't heard any interviews other than the Donegal player on the pitch afterwards. I see Alan Brogan has retired. A great player for Dublin. Brilliant career, and I wish him all the best in the future.

Two things. While watching the match, particularly in the first half, I felt the ref gave 10 decisions in a row for Donegal. I had a quick flick through the match thread this morning and I see a number of contributors calling the ref our 16th man. Just shows that everybody feels the ref is against them.

Secondly well done to Donegal.

Dublin got 0 frees in the Donegal half of the pitch in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Godge wrote: »

That was what I thought. My point was that some of the posters in the match thread were giving out about the frees being given to Dublin in the second half.

Alan Brogan hasn't retired, he brushed them rumours off.

O'Gara was a problem. When he doesn't have space he's bad as he can't use his athleticism 1 v 1, he's not a clever player, all brawn no brain. That's not to say he isn't a good player, but there's a time and a place, yesterday was neither. Probably best as an impact sub most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Past30Now wrote: »
    That was what I thought. My point was that some of the posters in the match thread were giving out about the frees being given to Dublin in the second half.

Better off staying out of the match thread lol.

There's always gonna be that element trying to detract from this Dublin team. Looking around Europe I see Madrid were beaten last night...it happens doesn't make them any less a team. It's a game Dublin would expect to win 7/10 times, they didn't when it mattered most I can live with it. I can also congratulate Donegal on a great performance

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Godge wrote: »

Cluxton not have one that he missed? I think the stat was we only gave away 3 in our own half, of which only Cluxtons was scoreable.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Think that was a 45 no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

Don't understand the O Gara bashing at all.

Any player asked to occupy a position where 5 or 6 eager defenders are patrolling is going to struggle. Bar his scrambled score (which O Gara broke for him) what did BB do that O Gara didn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Joekers

Only two lads can hold their heads up after that performance Flynn and Connolly, was convinced we would win cause I thought Jim Gavin wouldnt be out done but was so wrong. Not to take anything away from Donegal they were superb but Dublin were due a bad day and yesterday was it sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Donegal did everything right yesterday. Hats off to them.

They covered nearly every single Cluxton kick out that he was visably angry in the first half. I think the main thing with Donegal is they converted their chances when they got them and that was the difference. They defended very well and hunted in packs.

Dublin just didnt have it and they were frustrated. The half back line pushed forward a bit too much (in my opinion). Connolly and Flynn had outstanding games and were everywhere. Donegal pushed and harried the people they needed to at the right time. Had our goal opportunities been taken when we had them it might have been different result.

I don't feel 'as sick' today as Donegal really put on a solid performance and it would be hard to deny them.

Roll on October, going to get my season ticket and we back stronger and better. Hon the Dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Donegal had the best shot conversion rate of any team in any match in the last three years yesterday according to @dontfoul

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Bad day at the office. I thought Jim got it wrong, too attacking too early in the second half. All the half backs and McMahon were basically forwards leaving Mick Fitz and ROC alone, Donegal are one of the best counter attacking sides in the Country and we saw that. I agree Brennan was missed.

That said, if Connolly put away that goal (I hate his lethargic finishes :mad: ) or O'Gara had played a better pass to Bernard in the first half when we were dominant, I'm confident we win. Donegal the better side overall though, no question.

As a Donegal supporter at the game I couldn`t believe Dublin had left so much open spaces inside their own half from the start of the 2nd half against a team that are known for upping the ante in the 3rd quarter.

corny wrote: »
    Don't understand the O Gara bashing at all.

Any player asked to occupy a position where 5 or 6 eager defenders are patrolling is going to struggle. Bar his scrambled score (which O Gara broke for him) what did BB do that O Gara didn't?

Bernard was almost as bad, I agree. I also agree that it was a tough game for forwards, but O'Gara couldn't win his own ball at all , and as a target man that's supposed to be his main job really.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Donegal had the best shot conversion rate of any team in any match in the last three years yesterday according to @dontfoul

Well done to them, but shooting gets easier when the opposition only have 3 players in their own half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

BKWDR wrote: »
    Donegal did everything right yesterday. Hats off to them.

They covered nearly every single Cluxton kick out that he was visably angry in the first half. I think the main thing with Donegal is they converted their chances when they got them and that was the difference. They defended very well and hunted in packs.

Dublin just didnt have it and they were frustrated. The half back line pushed forward a bit too much (in my opinion). Connolly and Flynn had outstanding games and were everywhere. Donegal pushed and harried the people they needed to at the right time. Had our goal opportunities been taken when we had them it might have been different result.

I don't feel 'as sick' today as Donegal really put on a solid performance and it would be hard to deny them.

Roll on October, going to get my season ticket and we back stronger and better. Hon the Dubs

Well written and something I always found about the Dub supporters, always fair, well informed and both good winners and good losers. It is easy to be gracious winners a lot harder to be gracious losers. The wit and color Dublin bring to be big occasions is always brilliant and will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin have used 25 players in 5 Championship games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 Championship Games

Brogan, Alan 5
    Cluxton, Stephen 5
    Connolly, Diarmuid 5
    Flynn, Paul 5
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 5
    McCarthy, James 5
    McMahon, Philip 5
    O'Carroll, Rory 5
    O'Sullivan, Cian 5
    Devereux, Nicky 4+1
    McManamon, Kevin 3+2
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3+2
    Mannion, Paul 2+3
    McCaffrey, Jack 2+3
    Costello, Cormac 1+4
    Rock, Dean 1+4
    Brogan, Bernard 4
    Cooper, Jonny 4
    Fitzsimons, Michael 3+1
    Daly, Darren 1+3
    Andrews, Paddy 1+2
    Brady, Tomas 0+2
    Cullen, Bryan 0+2
    Nolan, Kevin 1
    Bastic Denis 0+1

Dublin have scored 9-105(132) and conceded 5-63(78) in 5 Championship games. Scorers 2014 Championship Game

Brogan, Bernard 2-17
    Connolly, Diarmuid 2-11
    Flynn, Paul 1-12
    Costello, Cormac 1-10
    McManamon, Kevin 1-8
    Rock, Dean 0-10
    O'Gara, Eoghan 1-6
    Brogan, Alan 0-8
    Cluxton, Stephen 0-5
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 1-1
    Andrews, Paddy 0-3
    Mannion, Paul 0-3
    Brady, Tomas 0-2
    McMahon, Philip 0-2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 0-2
    Cooper, Jonny 0-1
    Cullen, Bryan 0-1
    Devereux, Nicky 0-1
    McCaffrey, Jack 0-1
    McCarthy, James 0-1

Dublin have used 36 players in 9 league games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 League Games

Cooper, Jonny 9
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 8+1
    O'Gara, Eoghan 6+3
    Cluxton, Stephen 8
    McMahon, Philip 8
    McManamon, Kevin 7+1
    Byrne, Davy(Ballymun) 2+6
    Nelson, Darragh 2+6
    O'Sullivan, Cian 7
    Brogan, Alan 6+1
    Reddin, Ciaran 5+2
    Nolan, Kevin 4+3
    McCarthy, James 6
    Andrews, Paddy 5+1
    Fitzsimons, Michael 5+1
    Brady, Tomas 2+4
    McCaffrey, Jack 2+4
    Devereux, Nicky 2+3
    Connolly, Diarmuid 4
    Cullen, Bryan 4
    Flynn, Paul 4
    George, Sean 4
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 4
    O'Carroll, Rory 4
    Costello, Cormac 3+1
    Carty, Shane 2+2
    Whelan, Jason 2+2
    Lowndes, Eric 3
    Daly, Darren 2+1
    O'Mahony, Declan 2+1
    Hudson, Paul 1+2
    Brogan, Bernard 1+1
    Currie, Sean 1+1
    Mannion, Paul 0+2
    O'Brien, Kevin 0+1
    Watson, Daniel 0+1

Dublin have scored 14-138(180) and conceded 11-117(150) in 9 league games. Scorers 2014 League Games

McManamon, Kevin 3-17
    Connolly, Diarmuid 2-11
    O'Gara, Eoghan 3-7
    Brogan, Bernard 1-11
    Brogan, Alan 0-12
    Andrews, Paddy 1-8
    Costello, Cormac 0-10
    Cluxton, Stephen 0-10
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 2-2
    Hudson, Paul 0-7
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-6
    Reddin, Ciaran 0-6
    Whelan, Jason 1-3
    Flynn, Paul 0-5
    Cooper, Jonny 0-4
    McCarthy, James 1-1
    Byrne, Davy(Ballymun) 0-3
    Carty, Shane 0-3
    Cullen, Bryan 0-2
    Mannion, Paul 0-2
    McMahon, Philip 0-2
    Nelson, Darragh 0-2
    O'Sullivan, Cian 0-2
    Brady, Tomas 0-1
    McCaffrey, Jack 0-1

Dublin have used 30 players in 3 O'Byrne Cup games.Appearances+Subs for 2014 O'Byrne Cup Games

Carthy, Shane 3
    Fitzsimons, Michael 3
    George, Sean 3
    Hudson, Paul 3
    O'Mahony, Declan 3
    Whelan, Jason 3
    Dawson, Harry 2+1
    Nelson, Darragh 2+1
    Walsh, Conor 2+1
    Cullen, Bryan 2
    Currie, Sean 2
    Daly, Darren 2
    Lowndes, Eric 2
    McMahon, Philip 2
    McManamon, Kevin 2
    Mullins, Cian 2
    Nolan, Kevin 2
    Guckian, Chris 1+1
    Cooper, Jonny 0+2
    Fanning, Eoin 0+2
    McGovern, Niall 0+2
    Watson, Daniel 0+2
    Costello, Cormac 1
    Cluxton, Stephen 1
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 1
    O'Carroll, Rory 1
    Ryan, Philip 1
    Sweeney, Gary 1
    Fletcher, Luke 0+1
    Flynn, Paul 0+1

Dublin have scored 2-34(40) and conceded 3-26(35) in 3 O'Byrne Cup games. Scorers 2014 O'Byrne Cup Games

Hudson, Paul 0-12
    Watson, Daniel 2-2
    Costello, Cormac 0-5
    Whelan, Jason 0-4
    Carty, Shane 0-2
    Fanning, Eoin 0-2
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 0-2
    McManamon, Kevin 0-2
    Dawson, Harry 0-1
    Lowndes, Eric 0-1
    Walsh, Conor 0-1

Player Championship Games Played Scored
    Andrews, Paddy 14 1-11
    Bastic, Denis 23 1-6
    Brady, Tomas 2 0-2
    Brennan, Ger 27 0-5
    Brogan, Alan 63 11-128
    Brogan, Bernard 39 14-158
    Cluxton, Stephen 71 0-47 -41 Clean Sheets Conceded 43 goals
    Connolly, Diarmuid 31 6-42
    Cooper, Jonny 11 0-1
    Costello, Cormac 6 1-10
    Cullen, Bryan 55 0-36
    Daly, Darren 8
    Devereux, Nicky 7 0-1
    Fitzsimons, Michael 22
    Flynn, Paul 35 3-33
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 9 0-14
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 27 2-6
    Mannion, Paul 11 3-9
    McCaffrey, Jack 12 1-2
    McCarthy, James 22 1-2
    McMahon, Philip 25 0-6
    McManamon, Kevin 25 4-21
    Nolan, Kevin 22 0-5
    O'Brien, Kevin 5
    O'Carroll, Rory 30
    O'Gara, Eoghan 27 6-15
    O'Mahony, Declan 5 0-1
    O'Sullivan, Cian 22 0-5
    Rock, Dean 11 0-20

• Advertisement

Jim Gavin managerial Championship/League record played 29 won 23 drawn 2 lost 4 scored 46-481(619) conceded 26-357(435)

2014 Championship Played 5 Won-4 Drawn-0 Lost-1 Scored 9-105(132) Conceded 5-63(78)
    2013 Championship Played 6 Won-6 Drawn-0 Lost-0 Scored 13-99(138) Conceded 5-71(86)
    2014 League Played 9 Won-6 Drawn-1 Lost-2 Scored 14-138(180) Conceded 11-117(150)
    2013 League Played 9 Won-7 Drawn-1 Lost-1 Scored 10-139(169) Conceded 5-106(121)
    29 23 2 4 46-481(619) 26-357(435)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement