Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stoner wrote: »
    cant believe i missed that, I'd love to see it again, I should really get the DVD if there is one, I'd watch the Donegal game again too.

There's DVDs released every year with highlights of the season with a full game at the end.

shop rte ie/category/GAA-Football/2220.9.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I agree with BKWDR, you can't have someone coming in at this stage having played zero county football all year unless we're desperate in that position. Unlucky for Ger but Nicky's doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

cant believe i missed that, I'd love to see it again, I should really get the DVD if there is one, I'd watch the Donegal game again too.

Elverys in Omni, Santry had it at the counter for I think it was 1 euro ! Had a few last Week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Elverys in Omni, Santry had it at the counter for I think it was 1 euro ! Had a few last Week.

On my way! Seriously though thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

he was certainly very good in the final last year. I was about to add him to the list with Brady as a player that would be handy against Donegal.

IF Dublin get to ta final with Mayo he'd be handy to have too as he's not bad checking AOS running through.

All that aside Nicky Deveroux seems to be growing into the position, size, height and speed and can carry the ball ball well. Does not distribute it as well as Brennan (Corny :)) but he's certainly looked good so far, no great tests so far but still.

Donegal would certainly try to target Brennan if he was on the pitch IMHO.

Ha ha. Yeah I never shut up about Brennan but in truth its a non story. Considering the fitness levels and abilities of the players in his position he couldn't be within an asses roar of playing a part. Huge block of training and several games before he catches up and thats not happening this season. Next season though.....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

On my way! Seriously though thanks .

Eleverys at Croker are selling them for €1 too. I went in to purchase a baseball cap for the Leinster Final after years of putting up with sun-gazing and couldn't resist it. I've no broken the seal on it but when I do it will be glorious. Got the 2013 edition for a Christmas present :)

BwO6OgiIEAAuvUY.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Eleverys at Croker are selling them for €1 too. I went in to purchase a baseball cap for the Leinster Final after years of putting up with sun-gazing and couldn't resist it. I've no broken the seal on it but when I do it will be glorious. Got the 2013 edition for a Christmas present :)

Fingers crossed Suffolk St has it the mara.

Absolutely dying for Sunday at this stage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I got two today, still plenty left .

Watched the six steps to Sam great stuff. Plenty of close games

Kildare
    Wexford
    Donegal
    Kerry

Connelly was something else vs Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What's the key match up lads?

I have a feeling he won't start O'Gara. I hope he holds him back TBH. Its going to be interesting its possibly the strongest 14 vs the strongest 3 left in the championship.

Gallagher vs McAuley I think the Donegal man might win the first half but not the second.

McBrearty could cause problems I'd expect Cooper or NcMahon to pick him up I could see one having trouble with him and a switch being made can't see Fitz staying with him for some reason.

Heres my team

Cluxton
    McMahon ocarrol cooper
    McCarty deveroux Nolan
    O'Sullivan MDM
    Connelly Rock Flynn
    AB Costello BB

For some reason I could see Brady suiting this game
    OGara McCaffery KMcM and Bastic from the bench.

I think you can throw out traditional matchups, those Donegal boys will be marking space.

This could be a truly dour game yet.

• Advertisement

I think the middle of the field will be a match up. Certainly in 2012 there was space there in Donegal's plan that would need to be marked.

Point taken with McGee vs O'Gara though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think we'll see as defensive a Donegal side as we've ever seen. With the bit of rain coming and the hand-egg game on on saturday the pitch could suit Donegal's scrappy style a bit more as well. It'll be tight but hopefully we come through, clinical shooting and patience needed.

O'Gara vs McGee would be a great battle. I could see Eoghan being shut out but that'll hopefully leave a bit of space for Bernard and the lads. Rock's long range shooting could come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I think we'll see as defensive a Donegal side as we've ever seen. With the bit of rain coming and the hand-egg game on on saturday the pitch could suit Donegal's scrappy style a bit more as well. It'll be tight but hopefully we come through, clinical shooting and patience needed.

O'Gara vs McGee would be a great battle. I could see Eoghan being shut out but that'll hopefully leave a bit of space for Bernard and the lads. Rock's long range shooting could come in handy.

If we do that we will lose.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ladies under 16s beaten again by Cork for the second year in a row - sorry lads! Dublin seniors had a cracking win over Galway and are now into the All Ireland final on the 28th September against the winner of Cork v Armagh next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Ladies under 16s beaten again by Cork for the second year in a row - sorry lads! Dublin seniors had a cracking win over Galway and are now into the All Ireland final on the 28th September against the winner of Cork v Armagh next weekend

Cork so!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

emmetlego wrote: »
    Cork so!

I haven't booked my flights yet - Cork needed Juliet to come on and inspire a comeback against Armagh last year, so I'd be wary!

Match report
    Dublin 2-14 Galway 1-13
    Gregory McGonigle’s Dublin ladies senior footballers are through to a first TG4 All-Ireland final since 2010 after beating Galway by four points at Cusack Park in Mullingar.

In his first season at the helm, former Monaghan boss McGonigle has taken the Sky Blues to within touching distance of Brendan Martin Cup glory again.
    McGonigle was in charge of the Monaghan teams that lost the 2011 and 2013 All-Ireland finals but he now has the chance to strike gold at the third time of asking.

For Galway, however, this was a third successive semi-final defeat, as goals from Lindsay Peat and Carla Rowe proved their undoing in the second half.
    Dublin led by 0-10 to 0-8 at half-time and in the second half the Leinster champions managed to turn the screw. Galway had a goal chance early in the second half as Ger Conneally forced a good save from Cliodhna O’Connor and at the other end, in the 40th minute, Peat forced the ball over the line at the second attempt following good work by sub Siobhan Woods.

Dublin lost Leah Caffrey to the sin-bin for a yellow card offence but still managed to keep Galway comfortably at arm’s length. And when Rowe finished a flowing move in the 49th minute, the Jackies were 2-12 to 0-10 clear and firmly in the driving seat. Despite the best efforts of Annette Clarke and Barbara Hannon, Dublin were simply too good as they set up a final meeting with Armagh or Cork on September 28.

Clarke, one of five survivors in the Galway team from their 2004 All-Ireland success, netted a 54th minute penalty and added two frees but Dublin held out for a four-point win. The sides had been level five times in the first half before a pair of frees from Dublin’s Sinead Aherne opened up a two-point gap. Galway led just once in the game, 0-6 to 0-5, but Dublin enjoyed a strong final ten minutes of the first half to regain the whip hand.
    Aherne finished as leading scorer for her side while Lyndsey Davey and Noelle Healy collected five points from play between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I won't see or here match at all as I travelling :-(

Quietly confide we can win this today, come on you dubs I be there in true blue spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Missing this as recovering from surgery, expecting a very close game.

Here's hoping it's us that come out on top. Weather looks great for it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Jaysus, that was like the bad days all over again. Keystone Kops defending, headless chickens in attack, bad wides, complete loss of composure.

Hard to dissect right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

That was fúcking dreadful. I said it and I said it and I said it... Dublin have not had to play a game of football all year. Their first big test was today, and they blew it. Badly. I've never seen the Dublin attackers so awful as I've done today.

Hat off to Donegal. They were written off absolutely everywhere. I felt Dublin, my beloved Dublin, would win today. But I had a niggling, sneaky feeling that Donegal were made of more than people said. I had a feeling that the first proper game of football that Dublin had to play needed to be in the quarter finals. Otherwise, by simply breezing into a semi-final, it would be curtains.

Donegal played absolutely awesome football today. Michael Murphy deserves Footballer Of The Year based on today's performance alone. He was EVERYWHERE. Dublin never got a sniff of it when Murphy was in full flow. A towering, behemoth performance from Donegal's key man.

As gutted as I am, I have a slightly smug, 'I told you so' head on me at the minute. Nobody who I said it to believed me, and I was dismissed out of hand as talking nonsense. But I said it time and time again that Dublin had yet to face a real challenge and the first big challenge they would face could be their undoing. As it proved to be. In fairness, no better team than Dublin to pick up the pieces and go again. They'll win it next year, hopefully.

Looking forward to the final, this is a very hard one to call. But if Donegal play the way they did today and the way they played in the 2012 Final, they will win the day. But Kerry are still Kerry. A team that is never beaten until they are BEATEN. A team that has pedigree, history and 100,000 screaming Kerrymen in its corner. Donegal v. Kerry in an All Ireland Final for the first time in history. And it's going to be a fúcking cracker.

The goal in the first half was the killer. It stunned Dublin. Dublin were fúcking strolling around, popping the points over, blowing goal chances, up to then. They thought it was easy. Donegal then sprung the trap and caught the Dubs by the balls... and they never let go.

Gutted for Dublin, but simply were not good enough at all. Embarrassing at times. Donegal, what a performance. Time and again, Donegal have silenced the doubters and haters. And they did so again today. It was a brilliant, phenomenal performance that showed incredible mental strength, skill, passion, fitness, determination and self-belief. Towering. They will be hard bet.

The City That Fought An Empire Shall Rise Again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭redarmy

Opps:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Centre back has been a problem position for Dublin all this year and today it showed, nobody holding the centre, and that is a fault at the management, they should have seen after the first break Donegal made through the middle they needed somebody shoring the middle

Also McAuley should have been taken off after 50 mins, for most of Donegals scores in the second half Donegal players just coasted past him, he did not have the legs

Very disappointing, only Connolly and Flynn can hold their heads high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Gutted **** **** **** **** :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Hard luck boys. You's have been great champions and won't be waiting too long for your next all Ireland.

Disappointed but not distraught. Being comprehensively outplayed helps a little i think.

We had no answer to the way Donegal play football unfortunately and to me thats the nail in the coffin for Gavins approach to football. Which is probably the saddest thing about today. If we played them next week and the week after we'd lose again and again and always on the drawing board.

Not too many good performances. Obviously Flynn and Connolly took some exceptional scores. Philly McMahon played quite well too.

Negatives? Basically all the defenders were humiliated. Jack McCaffrey, and i don't take delight in saying this, just cannot defend well enough at this level. His pace saves him against average teams but they made him a passenger today. He, along with a lot of Dublin defenders, ball watched as Donegal hand passed around them.

Johnny Cooper alternated between wing forward and centre back but he was a passenger in both positions.

For Donegal? The position Neil Gallagher took up on kickouts and how the support rushed onto the ball was very well worked. Yielded several goal chances. You'd have to admire their work rate and tenacity. They've some brilliant players too. Don't like the way the play football and they've a unique set of supporters but they deserved their win!

PS at least the talk of funding and splitting Dublin in two will stop for a while.

Hard luck boys. You's have been great champions and won't be waiting too long for your next all Ireland.
    Bye now. Shut the door behind you and thanks.

The guff spewed on here over the past 3 weeks. Embarassing.

A brilliant day for Donegal.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

My main 'what if' at the moment - Dublin take O'Gara off at half time and put in Darren Daly standing on the D.

Donegal players running at the Dublin goal. No dublin player in front of them (trailing yards behind) Tactically inept. The pressing system is fine but anything taken to extremes is dangerous. Donegal adapted an extreme system after 2011 and found better results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

corny wrote: »
    Don't like the way the play football and they've a unique set of supporters but they deserved their win!

Can you explain what is 'unique' about their supporters ?

My main 'what if' at the moment - Dublin take O'Gara off at half time and put in Darren Daly standing on the D.

Not sure it would have made much difference. We needed more than one extra body in defensive situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Ger Brenann's presence was missing today as he is a commander in the centre of the pitch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement