Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

bohsboy wrote: »
    Can't wait for it, nothing can compete against that attack, don't care what tactics they come up with. From my many days of heartache watching the dubs, nothing compares to the current team. Gavin has them playing which such discipline, no lining up in front of the hill and all that crap.

Bring them on.

TBF Gilroy deserves a lot of credit for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

corny wrote: »
    Good win. Monaghan mentally couldn't compete with the 6 day turn around. Hard to get yourself up for it again so i wouldn't be too harsh on them.

Very interesting watching Dublin handle a proper blanket defence. It seemed numbers and positions were irrelevant, they just committed huge numbers to the attack. Cooper, McMahon, McCarthy basically played as centre forwards and the amount of times they drifted in behind was scary. Could that be the reason the half backs were picked like they were?

Hard to pick out good performers since Monaghan packed it in after the first goal but i thought O' Carroll did really well marking McManus. Also, Dermot Connolly woke up. I thought he might in the latter stages of the championship. He had a good game in all aspects. Followed his man back as diligently as any and worked well in attack. Should have scored another goal though.:p

Was at the Donegal game. They're good at what they do (defending) and they'll inconvenience the Dublin attack but as i see it there's no way they'll score more than Dublin. They'd lots of poor wides, McFadden is a shadow of the player he was and while they're physically strong players they won't match Dublin for speed or athleticism in the final quarter.

I'd be very interested to see what they do against the Dublin kickout. Will they retreat like they did in 2011 or will they force Cluxton to kick it. Although it might leave them more open they really should push up because they can match anyone in the middle of the field. However, I can see them taking the cowardly option and setting the 14 man defence as Cluxton puts the ball on the tee.

The Donegal/Armagh match seemed to be at a pace 30-40% slower than Dublin play at.

Connolly's potential is frightening. He could have easily had another 2-3 but because the game was won, he wasn't up for it. All of his best performances have come with the team under pressure or in finals. From the All-Ireland Club final to the league game against Tyrone to the League Final, he came through. He could well be MotM for the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Well the beef was good! View was amazing, in 501. Could see everything and from that height you can really appreciate the movement and the level of fitness the lads have. It's frightening. The atomesphere is almost non existent though.

Connolly stepped up today, very pleasing. Bernard kicked 1-7, subs got their usual few scores.

Monaghan did well for 20 minutes, but we simply ran them into the ground. I always felt it was inevitible and was never really concerned tbh.

Can't believe I said Cooper shouldn't be brought back in. He adds so much to the side. He could be our No.6 for years and years.

Donegal will definitely be a stiffer test and we are due an "off day" so we should be wary of them. Keeping their feet on the ground wiill be Gavin's toughest test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Well the beef was good! View was amazing, in 501. Could see everything and from that height you can really appreciate the movement and the level of fitness the lads have. It's frightening. The atomesphere is almost non existent though.

Connolly stepped up today, very pleasing. Bernard kicked 1-7, subs got their usual few scores.

Monaghan did well for 20 minutes, but we simply ran them into the ground. I always felt it was inevitible and was never really concerned tbh.
    Can't believe I said Cooper shouldn't be brought back in. He adds so much to the side. He could be our No.6 for years and years.

Donegal will definitely be a stiffer test and we are due an "off day" so we should be wary of them. Keeping their feet on the ground wiill be Gavin's toughest test.

I hope you choked on your poxy roast beef. All I had was a punnet of greasy chips and I felt sick for an hour afterwards. :o

The atmosphere was pretty flat everywhere tbh. Once the second goal went in, that was pretty much it. The Hill was so quiet during the second half, you'd think that we were on the business end of a 17 pt hammering & not the other way around. Weird ! :rolleyes:

Cooper had a bloody brilliant game. I would have given him or Alan the MOTM, but I am still thrilled for Philly that he got it. After all the stick he gets (some of it very unfair imo) he deserved it.

Bernards bouncing the ball off the Monaghan lad was hilarious. He has such a brilliant footballing brain. Am a wee bit worried that the scores from play don't seem to be happening for him.

Bit worried about the period of play before the two goals. 25 minutes is VERY long time to go without a score from play.

Wanted to slap Connolly at times, especially when he effed up that goal chance that was put on a platter for him. His own goal was a peach though.

Other than that, it was a great day out. Was very disappointed in Monaghan over all. Would they have made more of a game of it, if they didn't have such a short break between games? Possibly, but in the mood the lads were in yesterday and with the work rate on display, there was only ever going to be one result imo.

Thought the SKY coverage was ok. It was capable and professional, but also rather bland and offensive. I know we give out about Brolly & Spillane's shenanigans, but you do miss the bit of craic and divilment that you know can break out at any moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Just watching a replay of the match now. Didnt get to see anything yesterday.

Have to say, Monaghan looked knackered, so extra time last week def left a mark. Im not going to read too much into the actual winning margin, as its what i'd expected anyway.

Still an awful lot of sloppy wides though, which worries me.

Donegal next, not looking forward to it, gonna be a horrible match to watch. Long range kicking will be a serious focus in training for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I fully expect the Donegal game to be like the first 25 mins V Monaghan, except even tighter and it will last longer. We'll see something like 2011 but we're much more dynamic now so I can't see us simply lumping ball aimlessly like we did that day. Gavin's too clever. I love the amount of angles our runners come in at, we seem to have 2 or 3 guys making incisive runs every time. It'll be hard pick holes through Donegal but we'll try. More long range shooting needed as well I'd say.

I don't think Donegal have the forwards to hurt us either. Murphy of course can but he's out the field. McFaddens way off form and McBrearty hasn't lived up to the hype, if they had an on form McFadden and Murph inside I'd be a lot more worried. It's hard to see where the scores come from though for Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ProudDUB wrote: »

Bernards bouncing the ball off the Monaghan lad was hilarious. He has such a brilliant footballing brain. Am a wee bit worried that the scores from play don't seem to be happening for him.

There must be a clip/gif of that somewhere, one of the moments of the championship for me

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Good result for us. Monaghan ran out of legs very quickly, but there is something wrong with a team when they have 15 men in their own half of the pitch when they were 8/9 points down in the first half. The second half was a non event, a training exercise for the Dubs. We could have won by 7, 17 or 27 points.

The game against Donegal will be similar. As CurryFlavoured said above,the 25 minutes of problems posed by Monaghan will be exceeded by Donegal. But ultimately I don't believe Donegal will score enough to trouble us. We'll beat them in the second half.

Hard to judge individual performances but delighted for Philly to get MOTM. Paul Flynn was everywhere. DC took his goal very well, and really is a guy for the big occasion. Macker was hooked relatively early and probably is the forward most at risk for the 31st. Our defence was great offensively, and kept their key men quiet.

Bernard was lethal from frees yesterday and played very well, but it seemed to me that he realised with 15 mins to go that he hadn't scored from play (other than the goal) and took on a couple of shots that should have been passed to a better placed team mate. Costello's goal chance probably falls into the same category,but I'd have been screaming for him if he'd buried it.

Good result. It'll be harder the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I felt sorry for Monaghan in some respects - I was sat with some of their supporters in the Cusack. Pre match they were chatting about hopefully putting up a decent performance, not getting slaughtered and that they were no match for the Dubs. I took it with a pinch, possibly cute hoorism ? - but no, that really was the extent of their expectation for Saturday. Strangely enough as the game wore on I got the feeling the players expectations were mirroring those of their supporters.

After a competitive 20 mins - in which they played with a lot of vigour and an attacking enough line up contrary to the full blanket defence that was expected, it just went downhill. BB drew some great praise from the Monaghan lads in going over to check on Walshe after him shipping the knock. After the 1st goal, possibly as a consequence of Walshe's injury I got the feeling it was rabbit in the headlights stuff. The 2 forward lads were withdrawn deep and the battle lines were redrawn probably on the Monaghan 45, never a good sign. The 60 odd mins they stayed to watch the game, they applauded every Dublin score, true sportmanship and hopefully they'll be back soon.

From our own perspective I was delighted with the performance, it's safe to say that from 1 - 15 only Cluxton played in the position he was named. I'm sure the Kildare game had a bearing on the overall scoreline, but if we benchmark our own recent performances against Kildare with Monaghan barely getting over the line after ET, the result wouldn't have been hugely unexpected, other than the intangible aspect of the relative playing styles of both of those teams.

I've been dipping in and out of the other threads here, very little in the way of objective posting on the game itself, just plenty of hand wringing and think of the children remarks about the state of the game. I for one will never be an apologist for the winning margins of the current team, you only have to go back in the recent past to 07/08 and the hammerings we took from Kerry/Tyrone at this stage of the championship, I remember just like the Monaghan lads last Saturday sitting in the lashings of rain in 08 when Tyrone tore us apart - these are our golden days, hopefully this group will be mentioned in the same sentence as Kerry of the 70/80's when comparing the greatest teams ever. To do that they have to keep winning and winning well, there's not enough points that they can put on Donegal in the SF if I'm being honest. Ta

• Advertisement

Yeah i'll echo your sentiments on the Monaghan supporters. Lads around me were sound too.

Northern teams in general bring knowledgeable and humble supporters.

Was there for all the bad days, it's nice to see us play so well and be so dominant but it lacks the joy and sheer jubilation.

Days like Kerry in 2011 and 2013 more then make up for it though. Even go back to Tyrone in 2010.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I felt sorry for Monaghan in some respects - I was sat with some of their supporters in the Cusack. Pre match they were chatting about hopefully putting up a decent performance, not getting slaughtered and that they were no match for the Dubs. I took it with a pinch, possibly cute hoorism ? - but no, that really was the extent of their expectation for Saturday. Strangely enough as the game wore on I got the feeling the players expectations were mirroring those of their supporters.

After a competitive 20 mins - in which they played with a lot of vigour and an attacking enough line up contrary to the full blanket defence that was expected, it just went downhill. BB drew some great praise from the Monaghan lads in going over to check on Walshe after him shipping the knock. After the 1st goal, possibly as a consequence of Walshe's injury I got the feeling it was rabbit in the headlights stuff. The 2 forward lads were withdrawn deep and the battle lines were redrawn probably on the Monaghan 45, never a good sign. The 60 odd mins they stayed to watch the game, they applauded every Dublin score, true sportmanship and hopefully they'll be back soon.

From our own perspective I was delighted with the performance, it's safe to say that from 1 - 15 only Cluxton played in the position he was named. I'm sure the Kildare game had a bearing on the overall scoreline, but if we benchmark our own recent performances against Kildare with Monaghan barely getting over the line after ET, the result wouldn't have been hugely unexpected, other than the intangible aspect of the relative playing styles of both of those teams.

I've been dipping in and out of the other threads here, very little in the way of objective posting on the game itself, just plenty of hand wringing and think of the children remarks about the state of the game. I for one will never be an apologist for the winning margins of the current team, you only have to go back in the recent past to 07/08 and the hammerings we took from Kerry/Tyrone at this stage of the championship, I remember just like the Monaghan lads last Saturday sitting in the lashings of rain in 08 when Tyrone tore us apart - these are our golden days, hopefully this group will be mentioned in the same sentence as Kerry of the 70/80's when comparing the greatest teams ever. To do that they have to keep winning and winning well, there's not enough points that they can put on Donegal in the SF if I'm being honest. Ta

Yes !!!!

Yeah i'll echo your sentiments on the Monaghan supporters. Lads around me were sound too.

Was there for all the bad days, it's nice to see us play so well and be so dominant but it lacks the joy and sheer jubilation.

Days like Kerry in 2011 and 2013 more then make up for it though. Even go back to Tyrone in 2010.

O Gara lashing that ball home tops the lot.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Gerlad

QUOTE]

I must have been unlucky then as there were a few snide Monaghan and Donegal fans around us in the middle of the lower Cusack. The abuse they were shouting at Connolly when there was a skirmish before his goal was unreal.

There was a couple of fisticuffs to the right of us that had to be broken up too.

Its few and far between the 'fans' of other counties that actually respect us. I always find the Kerry boys seem to in my experience.
    Most are blinded by pure jealousy and hatred.

Sure i think its great craic myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Slattsy wrote: »
    Its few and far between the 'fans' of other counties that actually respect us. I always find the Kerry boys seem to in my experience.
    Most are blinded by pure jealousy and hatred.

Sure i think its great craic myself :D

It was cringeworthy to see all the donegal fans shouting for monaghan and waving donegal flags whenever monaghan scored, after monaghan fans blatently shouted for armagh. The mentality is that dublin = bad people, that's what people outside are raised to believe.

It was cringeworthy to see all the donegal fans shouting for monaghan and waving donegal flags whenever monaghan scored, after monaghan fans blatently shouted for armagh. The mentality is that dublin = bad people, that's what people outside are raised to believe.

Sure read the rest of the forum, comments on rte.ie, Facebook etc.

Begrudgery and bitterness is alive and well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Sure read the rest of the forum, comments on rte.ie, Facebook etc.

Begrudgery and bitterness is alive and well.

Get used to it. Whoever is on top is open to this abuse. Dublin are great for the game as long as they aren't winning. Tyrone hate Armagh, Kerry "respect" Cork as long as they beat them. When Cork won a few in 89/90 it was a different story.

In hurling all love to see Clare, Offaly break through as long as they feck off for another 40 years after winning one.

Good and bad people everywhere. Dublins success just brings them out of the woodwork. Sure I've lost track of the amount of uncouth individuals i've seen in blue jerseys over the years.

I'd forgive the Donegal supporters cheering for Monaghan too. Motivated by self preservation. They're ****ting themselves having to play Dublin.:pac:

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Get used to it. Whoever is on top is open to this abuse. Dublin are great for the game as long as they aren't winning. Tyrone hate Armagh, Kerry "respect" Cork as long as they beat them. When Cork won a few in 89/90 it was a different story.

In hurling all love to see Clare, Offaly break through as long as they feck off for another 40 years after winning one.

LOL... a bit too near the truth there I suspect

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Good and bad people everywhere. Dublins success just brings them out of the woodwork. Sure I've lost track of the amount of uncouth individuals i've seen in blue jerseys over the years.

I'd forgive the Donegal supporters cheering for Monaghan too. Motivated by self preservation. They're ****ting themselves having to play Dublin.:pac:

Yup agreed .. don't ask me to defend some of the loutish stuff I've seen from Dubs over the years.... pet hate of mine is those "City that fought an empire" shirts that are dragged out ..:o

Oh yeah, no shortage of plebs in blue on most days. But the other counties don't seem to realise that there are committed GAA people who love the game in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Oh yeah, no shortage of plebs in blue on most days. But the other counties don't seem to realise that there are committed GAA people who love the game in Dublin too.

No you probably haven't heard that only kids of country folk living in Dublin are fans of GAA its a well known fact based on research that can't quite be verified

Tickets sorted - Upper Cusack 710.

Im on a stag with about 18 Donegal lads in Kilkenny that very weekend, im 1 of only 2 Dubs going. Gonna be serious banter!

Bit of a rush back to Dublin Sunday morning, drop bags off and then straight to the Big Tree to settle the nerves. My liver is already screaming for help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Last year during the semi final Dublin V Kerry the minor match before that was Tyrone & Roscommon,A lad I work with was in the stands and he told me that both set of supporters were at each others throats during the match.
    But when it came to the senior match both set of fans cheered for Kerry,Myself personally I could not give a flying f**k what other counties/supporters think about the Dubs.
    For years me and the lads including my Da & sister would be at the matches were Tyrone & Kerry tore us a part but we kept the faith that some day Dublin would get to an AI final,Jaysus I remember my da and my mates da talking about whether they would be still alive to see the lads lift SAM again:D
    During the 2011 final there was a girl from Kerry standing beside me and the lads,And after the match she congratulated us and said the best team won last year the Mayo fans just walked off the HILL saying nothing.
    As for some of our own so called fans(fair weather supporters) you don't see them during the league or the first game in Leinster normally they come out drinking along the canal from the semi final onwards,Me and the lads just take one game at a time as Dublin could have an off day and get beaten.
    But what does our head in is the same fair weather heads singing we are going to win the Sam,The best one I heard the other evening at the match was a Dublin lad shouting at the ref to f**k off home back to Wexford,Me and the lads just p*ssed ourselves laughing not unless Marty has moved county.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

95% plus of supporters at games are generally decent fellas, and there's usually a bit of banter with the opposition. As for Donegal supporters cheering for Monaghan, I cheered for Limerick on Sunday, where you're neutral you generally find yourself supporting the underdog.

Met Kevin O'Brien coming out Saturday, started back jogging last week (him not me :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Met Kevin O'Brien coming out Saturday, started back jogging last week (him not me :D)

I met Kev Mc Saturday night (probably bumped into you unknown to ourselves as well!), told him to stop scoring goals against Kerry and that he was a bollocks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Last year during the semi final Dublin V Kerry the minor match before that was Tyrone & Roscommon,A lad I work with was in the stands and he told me that both set of supporters were at each others throats during the match.
    But when it came to the senior match both set of fans cheered for Kerry,Myself personally I could not give a flying f**k what other counties/supporters think about the Dubs.
    For years me and the lads including my Da & sister would be at the matches were Tyrone & Kerry tore us a part but we kept the faith that some day Dublin would get to an AI final,Jaysus I remember my da and my mates da talking about whether they would be still alive to see the lads lift SAM again:D
    During the 2011 final there was a girl from Kerry standing beside me and the lads,And after the match she congratulated us and said the best team won last year the Mayo fans just walked off the HILL saying nothing.
    As for some of our own so called fans(fair weather supporters) you don't see them during the league or the first game in Leinster normally they come out drinking along the canal from the semi final onwards,Me and the lads just take one game at a time as Dublin could have an off day and get beaten.
    But what does our head in is the same fair weather heads singing we are going to win the Sam,The best one I heard the other evening at the match was a Dublin lad shouting at the ref to f**k off home back to Wexford,Me and the lads just p*ssed ourselves laughing not unless Marty has moved county.

TBF I'm sure the same said supporters were pretty gutted.Try imagining what it's like to be a Mayo supporter having just lost your seventh final in a row since 1989,don't think the sensitivities of Dublin supporters were top of their agenda.I met lots of salt of the earth Dublin supporters afterwards in one of their locals and congratulated them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The vast majority of fans are completely sound in fairness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement