Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

corny wrote: »
    Yeah probably a dummy team. Makes no sense to move Devereux. Why not just play Cooper at 7.

A Brogan and Kev Mc will probably swap too.

Assuming he does start, pleased for Mickey Fitz.

Delighted to see Jim Gavin taking our "advice" and O'Gara and Cooper starting. Up front O'Gara and Berno will take on their full back line, with Alan and Macker swapping between the half forward line and the link to the two boys up front.

When I heard the team last night I assumed Johnny Cooper would start at 7. However by naming him at 6 Jim Gavin might be taking a long term view. Coops looks like a guy who'll be in that team for the next five plus years. Centre back could be a great slot for him. Nicky D is a fine player, but playing him at centre back limits the value of his pace. I wouldn't be surprised if the backs line out as named. I don't see Kevin Nolan starting this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sorry lads is throw in 6 (rte) or 7pm (sky website?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

vicwatson wrote: »
    Sorry lads is throw in 6 (rte) or 7pm (sky website?)

6pm. It'll be over by 7pm :-)

Fingers crossed :-》

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

vicwatson wrote: »
    Fingers crossed :-》

Not for a neutral ovserver :-)

• Advertisement

Not many in here though, it being the Dublin GAA duscussion thread and all that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I like the look of that team. More pace and more physicality has been brought in which will be very useful indeed.

I think there's a decent chance that team could line out as selected. Cooper definitely has the qualities to be our No.6 for years to come. Can't see Kevin Mc lining out at 11, you'd imagine he'll swap with Alan fairly early on.

O'Gara at 14 seems an obvious and logical choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Would have thought Devereux matches up better than Cooper with Hughes who is named at wing forward for Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

This is the 1st game we'll play without what would be termed traditional match ups. Being "optimistic", the Monaghan forward line will contain maybe 3 in our half - McManus, McGuinness & Hughes with the other 12 behind the ball.

The Dublin back 6 imo have been named (dunno whether they'll start in those positions) because of their adaptability across a number of positions in the back line. Any fix that's needed will be a shuffle of positions rather than replacements. While Hughes is named wing forward I'd imagine ROC will come to meet him inside the 45. I'd guess Monaghan will mark space across 3 lines of 4 men in their own half, the quality and speed of our kick passing will be tested tomorrow particularly from break down play. Best case scenario is to get ahead ahead early and force Monaghan out of their shell.

There seems to be a common perception that this will be the 1st time Dublin will be tested against a blanket defence this year and while certainly there will be a degree of learning tomorrow I don't think I'd be telling stories out of school to say that Dublin have been preparing all year to play against this system.

Before a ball was thrown in this year, if Dublin were to reach an AI they knew their path was being blocked by the Ulster champions and the clarity of the qualifier system this year gave them further insight to their likely opponents. The quality and intensity of the training games of the A's v Killer Bees (as Philly dubbed them) are designed to replicate the likely playing conditions against all playing styles. Without sounding demeaning to others, the blanket defence is an easy concept to coach into a group of players and an alternate Dublin 15 from the existing panel with other lads also brought in has given the team a foothold into the areas that the system can be broken down.

The big imponderable for Monaghan is how they could possibly prepare to the same degree, to replicate the playing style of Dublin in training sessions. I'd suggest at times it looks like Dublin have an extra man/2 man advantage on the field and 13 v 15 games may give them some inkling as to their task.

It'd be confident but not cocksure that Dublin have the answers for tomorrow, I can certainly see a period of when Monaghan will give it a serious rattle. If things go as planned in both games - Dublin are really looking forward to Donegal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Going to miss the game.
    To make matters worse, i wont even get to see a minute of it :mad: :(

• Advertisement

I missed the last 5 mins of last years final and I was in Croker :o. Pot herbs got the better of me and I ended up behind the Cusack pacing up and down, not helped by the fact I couldn't distinguish between a Mayo roar and a Dublin one

Slattsy wrote: »
    Going to miss the game.
    To make matters worse, i wont even get to see a minute of it :mad: :(

Ouch.

Got a Premium level ticket for tomorrow, unexpected surprise :cool:

I hear they do a mean roast beef.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Ouch.

You misheard.
    They do a lean roast beef.

Ouch.

LOL .. we have our own prawn sandwich brigade ! Was only there once for Westmeath/Meath (remember Dessie Dolans last minute miss), on the upside and having no affinity to either I got the beers in ahead of the crowd at HT and a few during the game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

SM746 wrote: »
    6pm. It'll be over by 7pm :-)

:D:D:D

I'm liking the look of that team. I think O'Gara and Andrews (and maybe even Cullen) will see some decent game time. I can see it being a tough, physical game and O'Gara & Andrews are very, very good at winning their own dirty ball.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    LOL .. we have our own prawn sandwich brigade ! Was only there once for Westmeath/Meath (remember Dessie Dolans last minute miss), on the upside and having no affinity to either I got the beers in ahead of the crowd at HT and a few during the game

Ah here :pac:

Missed one match in the last 12 tears, usually in the Hill or lower Cusack.

Let me have a day eating prawn sandwiches :pac:

Ah here :pac:

Missed one match in the last 12 tears, usually in the Hill or lower Cusack.

Let me have a day eating prawn sandwiches :pac:

LOL.. I'm just afraid we'll lose ya forever to the suits !

Be interesting what you make out of the atmosphere up there ... think there's 6 rows of seats in each section ... I've been in the premium in Aviva and errr it's quiet... oh yeah don't forget the review on the roast beef either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Hopefully Monaghan really put it up to us tomorrow. With respect to the other teams in Leinster, we got half a challenge from Laois this year, and that was it. Wexford's best forward was kept out of the game, and Meath didn't show up on the day.

Mayo got a really good test from Cork (and came out the other end), while Kerry really should have been punished by Galway (if they got some confidence, they could definitely be a big contenders). Donegal have already got tests this year, so we need one.

My mole inside the Monaghan camp tells me that MDMA will be targeted for some rough treatment tomorrow.
    There's an assumption among the Monaghan management that he's prone to lashing out and they think "they can get to him".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My mole inside the Monaghan camp tells me that MDMA will be targeted for some rough treatment tomorrow.
    There's an assumption among the Monaghan management that he's prone to lashing out and they think "they can get to him".

I would say he has been lucky on a few occasions this year, I seem to recall two or three instances of him throwing a poke after being fouled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I like the look of that team, much more defensively stable. As much as I rate Cooper, he isn't a corner back, and Mick Fitz is a better man marker than him although he won't drive up the field as well. Cooper should fare better at half back, unsure who'll actually play in the centre but I think Jonny did against Laois earlier (not sure on that one).

All in all the back 6 looks better for me, 2 proper corner backs for once. All we need is a CHB although Nicky Devs been doing great filling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

Ouch.

Pints in proper glasses too!

Was there last week for Monaghan and Kildare. Looking down on the peasants in the rain.:D Shoes on the other foot this week i'm afraid. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sfcdub

Probably a cliche at this stage but would the idea be to get McCafferey's fresh legs in in the 2nd half? (Then again, I don't think anyone would be stopping his runs at any point of the game!).

Wouldn't be surprised if O'Gara doesn't start, though I don't see any reason not to. Nearly sure there's been at least 2 games he's been named to start in and didn't. (Mayo in the League was one I think).

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hardly a surprising approach though, they will target Connolly and Philly too to try and get a reaction and they will target Brogans to see can they shake them up. They are unlikely to target Flynn or O'Gara though.

Either way most teams have been doing the same and they have all been told and told what to do. Slightest hint of a reaction like Connolly had v Meath and he will be subbed off. MDMA that won't happen to but he will have to keep his cool and there are others around to help sort out any troubles in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jazus, good luck to them targeting the Brogans, in the hopes that they lose it. Dunno about Alan, but Bernard has never been sent off, or picked up two yellows in a Champo game.

As for the rest of them (esp MDMA, Phily, EOG & DC) that little kerfuffle against Meath could be the wake up that they all need to be on their guard for anyone trying to start the silly stuff.

Thanks Meath ! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Jazus, good luck to them targeting the Brogans, in the hopes that they lose it. Dunno about Alan, but Bernard has never been sent off, or picked up two yellows in a Champo game.

As for the rest of them (esp MDMA, Phily, EOG & DC) that little kerfuffle against Meath could be the wake up that they all need to be on their guard for anyone trying to start the silly stuff.

Thanks Meath ! :D

I think you misread. They will target the first group for reaction, the Brogans to shake them up and try and put them off their game.

Connolly was taken off pre the scuffle, and would likely have gone if still on I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Im not overly confident about tomorrow. As has been sated the Monaghan players will have been fed all the press drivel about them not having a chance and P.P having Dublin with 9 point advantage. As we have seen in the past teams written off will often up their game against Dublin. A wet evening, slippery conditions and Marty Duffy!! Thats a fair recipe for something controversial to happen.

Dublin need a right battle tomorrow and I think they will get it but a lot will depend on how Monaghan have recovered this week and how Marty deals with their approach if they target Bernard Brogan, O'Gara or M.D.M.A. They are a very good side and while physical they are very good ball players there also. Right up the middle they are strong and I think are a better side than last year. They have a number of players who can kick scores from distance, Clerkin, Corey, McGuinness, Hughes so they are not quite a one trick team of blanket defence.

What Dublin need more than anything is a big game from Connolly and I think he will deliver. While his shooting the last day was not great he was not bad at all in general play and while he was caught in possession once his passes were generally good. I would like to see Dean Rock come into the game earlier. His big contributions have been coming and scoring but the games are generally won so a good run out would do him good. Cooper back in the side is also a good move. I would like to see Paul Flynn get into the game a bit more as I feel we have not seen the best of him by a long shot.

Donegal beat Monaghan (or some would say Monaghan beat themselves) without getting out of of second or third gear so really we should expect to win fairly comfortably, but only after a right good battle. Saturday could make our season with an improved performance than what we had against Meath.

I think Jimmy McGuinness is eyeing up August 30th also. Donegal look much better when they come out and play and McNeilis has given them another dimension making it 3 big forwards, along with Murphy and McFadden who are good ball winners and excellent finishers. But maybe God will bless Armagh and turn Croke park for 70 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Ouch.

They do! I somehow managed to bagy first two tickets up there last weekend for the Monaghan/Kildare and Meath/Armagh matches.

The views are fantastic, I imagine they are better than the corporate boxes since they're lower. No climbing steps for you, brought up in an elevator from beside the museum if you're on the Cusack side. The beef comes in at 14 quid but for the same price with the regulars you'd be lucky to get a burger, chips and a drink :) The toilets are much nicer affair with hot water (I know, how first world) and I only noticed this on the way out but there are charge lockers to charge your phone for 30mins for free, you don't even get a non - free option below.

The guaranteed cover is nice, it wont stop you getting sprayed if the wind blows the right way but there's supposed to be a torre trial downpour this evening/tonight and I'm down in 304 F :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

Good win. Monaghan mentally couldn't compete with the 6 day turn around. Hard to get yourself up for it again so i wouldn't be too harsh on them.

Very interesting watching Dublin handle a proper blanket defence. It seemed numbers and positions were irrelevant, they just committed huge numbers to the attack. Cooper, McMahon, McCarthy basically played as centre forwards and the amount of times they drifted in behind was scary. Could that be the reason the half backs were picked like they were?

Hard to pick out good performers since Monaghan packed it in after the first goal but i thought O' Carroll did really well marking McManus. Also, Dermot Connolly woke up. I thought he might in the latter stages of the championship. He had a good game in all aspects. Followed his man back as diligently as any and worked well in attack. Should have scored another goal though.:p

Was at the Donegal game. They're good at what they do (defending) and they'll inconvenience the Dublin attack but as i see it there's no way they'll score more than Dublin. They'd lots of poor wides, McFadden is a shadow of the player he was and while they're physically strong players they won't match Dublin for speed or athleticism in the final quarter.

I'd be very interested to see what they do against the Dublin kickout. Will they retreat like they did in 2011 or will they force Cluxton to kick it. Although it might leave them more open they really should push up because they can match anyone in the middle of the field. However, I can see them taking the cowardly option and setting the 14 man defence as Cluxton puts the ball on the tee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Can't wait for it, nothing can compete against that attack, don't care what tactics they come up with. From my many days of heartache watching the dubs, nothing compares to the current team. Gavin has them playing which such discipline, no lining up in front of the hill and all that crap.

Bring them on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement