Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ridiculous Connolly has been allowed to play.

In a way I'm happy though, Keane should never have been cleared.

The GAA need to box this off now and grow a set of bollocks.

A strike is a red card and carries a suspension. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

How do you get a suspension rescinded without a red card being overturned - is it not automatic? Are they saying the ref was wrong to send Connolly off or that, while a red was warranted, he has been punished enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Have to laugh at people coming in here giving out ****e about Connolly, where was the outrage when Keane got his red card rescinded?

And what's with all the comments "Who's he going to punch today? And he'll be sent off today knowing him"

Speaking as a neutral, I'm delighted Connolly has got off, he was clearly targeted and dragged to the ground off the ball which annoys me and COC acted consistently by what he had done throughout the whole game by whinging in the officials ear, it's still beyond me how he was awarded MOTM, by McStay of course.

Anyway, on the game Dublin to win by 5 with Connolly having a big influence.

I'm also a neutral and glad I'll be watching one of the most talented players today.

However the suspension should've stuck. He struck and got a red. He should be suspended. The problem all arose from rescinding keanes red which should never have been rescinded.

Interestingly Dublin could've used it as a siege mentality thing if Connolly did not get off. Now Mayo can use it that way.

Have to laugh at people coming in here giving out ****e about Connolly, where was the outrage when Keane got his red card rescinded?
    Keane got downgraded to a yellow he wasn't cleared so he got some censure. Connolly who was lying on somebody punching them in the head has been cleared completely. That has serious repercussions as there is not much worse you can do. It means all red cards going forward are pointless. Shockingly bad sportsmanship from Dublin GAA and a farce from HQ.

If anything was needed to galvanise the Mayo team this is it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I wonder who Connolly will get to assault today ? What a laughing stock the GAA have made of themselves. This will be thrown back at the GAA and Dublin as special treatment for years to come. A win for Dublin today will be tainted as it will be seen as assisted by the GAA HQ. Its embarrassing that the county board went this far, they will be slagged about this for years to come.

This is the second time the St. Vincent’s man has escaped censure despite being shown the line in an All-Ireland semi-final. In 2011 he was allowed to play in Dublin’s win over Kerry even though he had been sent off by Maurice Deegan for striking Donegal’s Marty Boyle three weeks previously

This is an absolute disgrace of a post.

The last day Connolly doesn't punch anyone if Lee Keegan doesn't wrestle him to the ground. I'm not saying that Connolly didn't deserve the red card the last day, but it was Keegan who committed the assault and the sheer bias in this post is horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The whole appeals system is a joke, that said Dublin were right to appeal this till the end. Any other county would have done the same. It was a red for Connolly but so were others over the season and the GAA can't change their systems mid season. They badly need to sort out the disciplinary systems before next season.

That all said, as a Dub I'm delighted that he's available today but would wonder how he will go given all the carry on during the week.

Keane got downgraded to a yellow he wasn't cleared. Connolly who was lying on somebody punching them in the head has been cleared. That has serious repercussions as there is not much worse you can do. It means all red cards going forward are pointless. Shockingly bad sportsmanship from Dublin GAA and a farce from HQ.

Now I completely agree the suspension should have stood.

But there is no evidence anywhere of where Connolly actually punched keegan. You do not see where the punch lands on keegans body. So you are doing yourself a disservice by saying Connolly punched him in the head.

You must also remember that keegan was up 10 seconds later so whatever Connolly did did not have anything near the same consequences as cillian o'connors reckless use of his arm.

Make your point about Connolly but at least try to be balanced and honest in that point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Keane got downgraded to a yellow he wasn't cleared so he got some censure. Connolly who was lying on somebody punching them in the head has been cleared completely. That has serious repercussions as there is not much worse you can do. It means all red cards going forward are pointless. Shockingly bad sportsmanship from Dublin GAA and a farce from HQ.

And it wasn't shockly bad sportsmanship from mayo GAA??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Oh oh the level of vitriol against us in our own thread ?- can only imagine the fires raging elsewhere. As I said yesterday he was guilty as sin it's been a shambolic year for the administration of our game.

Make it count at 5 Diarmuid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's clearly the curse of '51 at play here.

Dermo to score a last second winner.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Now i must get on the road i've a game to see, May the best team win enjoy the day :)

And what's with all the comments "Who's he going to punch today? And he'll be sent off today knowing him"

It's a fair comment, he has form and he won't be the hardest to wind up. ill put a few quid on it if I get a decent price but currently PP aren't quoting him in that market.

JRant wrote: »
    It's clearly the curse of '51 at play here.

Dermo to score a last second winner.

Man that'd drive some Mayo fans over the edge kudu going by the comments on here! Dublin fans would have to run for cover if that happens!

Personally, I suspect Connolly will have a poor match, preparation must've been terrible for this match with all this appeal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Great reading.

Back to sleep I go with a huge.... Smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I wonder who Connolly will get to assault today ? What a laughing stock the GAA have made of themselves. This will be thrown back at the GAA and Dublin as special treatment for years to come. A win for Dublin today will be tainted as it will be seen as assisted by the GAA HQ. Its embarrassing that the county board went this far, they will be slagged about this for years to come.

This is the second time the St. Vincent’s man has escaped censure despite being shown the line in an All-Ireland semi-final. In 2011 he was allowed to play in Dublin’s win over Kerry even though he had been sent off by Maurice Deegan for striking Donegal’s Marty Boyle three weeks previously

FFS talk about getting your excuses in early. .. add it to the list just under curse and cormac reilly. Be annoyed about the decision no problem but that's just risible

• Registered Users Posts: 40 DanTomKelly

salmocab wrote: »
    The whole appeals system is a joke, that said Dublin were right to appeal this till the end. Any other county would have done the same. It was a red for Connolly but so were others over the season and the GAA can't change their systems mid season. They badly need to sort out the disciplinary systems before next season.

That all said, as a Dub I'm delighted that he's available today but would wonder how he will go given all the carry on during the week.

Will people stop talking about Keane and Connolly.
    The crux of the issue is that the GAA are unable to administer their own rules.
    GAA should hang their heads in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

.....wakes up...

....rubs eyes...

....damm, that was one weird dream...

thee glitz wrote: »
    It's a fair comment, he has form and he won't be the hardest to wind up. ill put a few quid on it if I get a decent price but currently PP aren't quoting him in that market.

I wonder whose eye Cillian O'Connor will take out today? Or I wonder who Aidan O'Shea will pull in by the collar and then claim to be headbutted by?

They both have form after all.

Nobody is denying that Connolly has a form for lashing out, but he doesn't do it in every single f*cking game.

Being honest, I think it's a disgrace that teams target him and nothing is done about it. Totally unsportsmanlike. There's a lil bit of slagging that happens all the time but then there's full-on sledging, which isn't on. Both red cards Connolly has got in semi's is him retaliating, which is something the GAA really needs to look at.

He's one of the most talented players to play the game, but is seeing his career ruined because teams target him to get him sent off. I honestly think that's as much a disgrace as striking is.

Man that'd drive some Mayo fans over the edge kudu going by the comments on here! Dublin fans would have to run for cover if that happens!

Personally, I suspect Connolly will have a poor match, preparation must've been terrible for this match with all this appeal stuff.

It won't have been ideal prep but most of it would have been video analysis and drills, especially in the tackle area.

I think he'll come out flying. The county board put a lot of effort in to his case and he'll want to repay them with a performance.

One thing you can be certain of and that's Jim will have drilled into their heads the importance of discipline today. He's the right man to keep the heads calm and get them focusing on football. Wouldn't say he was too pleased with the carryon last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Faugheen wrote: »
    I wonder whose Cillian O'Connor will take out today? Or I wonder who Aidan O'Shea will pull in by the collar and then claim to be headbutted by?

They both have form after all.

Nobody is denying that Connolly has a form for lashing out, but he doesn't do it in every single f*cking game.

Being honest, I think it's a disgrace that teams target him and nothing is done about it. Totally unsportsmanlike. There's a lil bit of slagging that happens all the time but then there's full-on sledging, which isn't on. Both red cards Connolly has got in semi's is him retaliating, which is something the GAA really needs to look at.

He's one of the most talented players to play the game, but is seeing his career ruined because teams target him to get him sent off. I honestly think that's as much a disgrace as striking is.

No point in arguing about it. 7 out of 7 red cards rescinded this year. It's a joke. At least it's a fair joke. No backing for referees whatsoever. Can't believe you're insinuating that Philly didn't throw in the head though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

For those of you in the know about appeal hearings , would Connolly have to attend each of those hearings the last few nights? Can't think of a worse way to prepare for today's match.

From previous DRP hearings I think it would a solicitor appearing on their behalf

munster87 wrote: »
    No point in arguing about it. 7 out of 7 red cards rescinded this year. It's a joke. At least it's a fair joke. No backing for referees whatsoever. Can't believe you're insinuating that Philly didn't throw in the head though

I've seen footage that clearly shows Aidan grabbing him by the collar, pulling him in and them glancing heads. No sign of Philly leaning in with the head.

munster87 wrote: »

There's no insinuating about it. The footage clearly shows there was no headbutt, end of story.

From previous DRP hearings I think it would a solicitor appearing on their behalf

Interesting. I'd love to attend one to see what happens in them. Happy moderating today, you could have a busy day ahead! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Can we all put the BS behind us now and go out and play football. these two teams are capable of some brilliant stuff and I am looking forward to seeing it today. let the teams do the talking now and let the best one win. ( as long as it's mayo! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm going to an early house!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

It's the same in every sport the world over.

Player x may be a scumbag/drugs cheat/wife beater etc, but he is our scumbag/drugs cheat/wife beater.

Pretty much bang on, Cantona, Suarez, hope solo, rice in the NFL. By comparison the GAA lads are mostly angels.

Not surprised he got off, the GAA were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. Basically they set a stupid precedent with Keane, if a strike is red its nonsense to make it a retrospective yellow and pretend you've retained some kind of censure. Equally by doing nothing about more violent incidents on both sides last week they set a bar that DC was well under. After the championship they need to take a major look at the whole process

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's a fear here that I'm leading a parallel life with Slattsy.

*turns over and goes back to sleep*

---

Delighted that we'll have him play. But amazed that we will.

I much preferred this thread when it was so quiet leading up to the first game.
    An oasis of calm.

It's awful that games are ruined when players try to get others sent off. I think Connolly's a lost cause though. Did he do the anger management course that time? I'm looking forward to a great game today. Hopefully it will be played in the right spirit but it seems to be win at any cost these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Faugheen wrote: »
    This is an absolute disgrace of a post.

The last day Connolly doesn't punch anyone of Lee Keegan doesn't wrestle him to the ground. I'm not saying that Connolly didn't deserve the red card they last day, but it was Keegan who committed the assault and the sheer bias in this post is horrendous.

The Mayo tears are so bitter they are sweet. Dublin by 5 and another year of nothing for the roasters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement