Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Crazy rain in cork city at the mo! Pretty gusty also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Same in Wexford Town, heavy shower just passing over and very gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Some strong gusts here in mayo, not as bad as last weeks by a long way. Rain is starting to get heavier as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brianville

I agree , very gusty near bandon . Strong sw winds. Really picked up in the last 20 mims. Heavy rain too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From Fermoy / Blackwater River

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/ireland/Blackwater/Fermoy/

Remove the overlying advert and check water levels against previous hourly photo stills - some serious water flow atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Estofex going for a level 1 tomorrow on the west coast

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2014010106_201312302233_1_stormforecast.xml

Valid: Tue 31 Dec 2013 06:00 to Wed 01 Jan 2014 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Mon 30 Dec 2013 22:33

A level 1 was issued for parts of Ireland, W Scotland/UK and offshore areas mainly for severe wind gusts. An isolated funnel/short-lived tornado event is possible.

SYNOPSIS and DISCUSSION

The retracted and exceptionally busy pattern over the N-Atlantic continues as another polar vortex approaches E-Canada. In fact, this vortex seems to be the most powerful vortex for this winter season, as 500 hPa heights drop to 481 gpdm and 850 hPa temperatures level out at -37°C! Despite an increasing ensemble spread in numerous oscillation indices, no serious change in the 'roaring 2013/14's' over the N-Atlantic is expected in the near future.

Latest OPC analysis places a weakening confluent trough with a filling 990 hPa surface vortex over the N-North Sea. A triple-barrel low with 966 hPa centers covers a broad swath from 45°W to 15°W and 40°N to 70°N. This feature will affect Ireland, UK and Scotland during the forecast with windy and wet conditions and there are a few features to talk about:

Extensive N-S aligned cold front already crosses Ireland at 06Z and affects UK/Scotland thereafter (probably leaving UK to the east at roughly 18 Z). Placed in the unfavorable part of that diffluent trough, not much activity is expected convective-wise. Even the most optimistic models show only patches of marginal CAPE along that front and like yesterday we expect some kind of narrow cold-frontal rainband to accompany the wind shift with gusty winds. Constant weakening of that front is forecast.
    The post-frontal air mass is characterized by rather cold mid-levels with 500 hPa temperature falling to -30 °C or less. Active post-frontal sector with rather deep convection (already visible in latest WV/IR images) spreads east and affects the area of interest between 09 and 00Z. Embedded in this brisk westerly flow regime is a distinct trough axis, which affects Ireland around noon and Scotland thereafter. This time period will probably be the main one for more organized convection. Forecast soundings show 300-400 J/kg SBCAPE and 150-180 m^2/s^2 SRH-1 along that trough. Enhanced LL CAPE exists offshore/along the W-coast of Ireland, so next to enhanced downward mixing of 25 m/s winds at 850 hPa an isolated and short-lived funnel/tornado event seems possible. We would not be surprised to see a rather solid line of enhanced convection to affect W/NW and N-Irland around noon into the early afternoon hours. The level area was also expanded towards W-UK, where onshore moving thunderstorms could see a confined temporal overlap of modest (onshore) SBCAPE and increasing frictional BL shear. A short-lived funnel/tornado event is possible next to the wind risk.

During the overnight hours the risk of enhanced and deep convection gradually abates from W to E, as deep WAA sets in from the W ahead of another powerful depression. I don't want to spend too much time on that feature, as the system (or let's say, the most interesting part of that system for convection) remains west of Ireland. Nevertheless there are clear signals of a pronounced tropopause fold and intrusion of high/low tropospheric/stratospheric air, which could overspread the trailing and nearly E-W aligned cold front. Quite robust CAPE signals are forecast and this could result in deep and potentially electrified convection within an environment of 30 m/s near BL winds. Severe wind gusts will be the main hazard, but of interest is a not often seen offshore overlap of roughly 400-800 J/kg SBCAPE and 200 m^2/s^2 SRH-1. Most likely we will never know if a tornado/waterspout occurred with that set-up. Nevertheless, the level 1 was expanded to the SW especially for the enhanced and convectively induced severe wind gust risk.

With that we close the chapter for 2013. We wish everyone a safe and eventful night of New Year's Eve and a Happy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Just lost power in kilcock, was playing gta5 with lightening happening in the game & also outside in reality, quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rain is absolutely torrential here

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

no rain here but nice strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Heavy rain here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Holy crap balls!! That short of rain and hail is nothing like I've ever heard!

Location is Tuam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Holy crap balls!! That short of rain and hail is nothing like I've ever heard!

Location is Tuam!

Will it move across to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Some gusts getting up to Stephens day levels.

Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

loubian wrote: »
    Will it move across to Dublin?

I hope so, I want to be able to sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

dacogawa wrote: »
    I hate to disagree with you Maq (first time! I always agree with you) & bnt but I think the GFS did a good job a week out from the 26th/27th. It may have had a crazy low (905) 8 days out that fell back but at least we knew there was something coming. We'll see if it got it nearly right around a week from now...

I think there will be a low kicking around somewhere around that time alright, but I just wouldnt trust the GFS (or any model) on it's position and intensity this far out yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Now this is a real storm.

gens-11-1-144.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Now the weather outside ain't lovely
    But the champagne is extra bubbly
    So if you've no place to go
    Let it blow Let it blow Let it blow

Oh, it doesn't show signs of stopping
    But I've got some Pringles for popping
    And since the lights are turned down low
    Let it blow Let it blow Let it blow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Friday's system looking a bit sharper on this mornings runs.

One to keep a very close eye on now @ 72hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

The potential for damaging storms in next week or so remains on all model output this morning, with some GFS ensembles showing very serious storms. Friday looks like the first taste of this with the threat upgrading overnight.

MT is a little more downbeat on the cooling trend in today's forecast. There's not much on the horizon for snow heads yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiaMaria

holy cow....thunder and lighting here is west cork now ...(near bantry)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I'm flying Dub to Stansted on Monday the 6th of Jan. Anyone have any ideas how the weather's looking for that day? I have a fairly tight schedule, so I'm relying on an on time arrival!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

Crazy weather here in killarney, heavy rain, thunder and gale force winds. No warning of this, it is nearly as bad as stephen's night! A girl down the road is getting married today dont think she could ever have thought the westher would be like this. Where is the cold wintery weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

It's really nasty here in Dunmanway, West Cork. The sky is very dark and there's thunder and lightning and heavy rain. It's quite mild though.

The 6z GFS still maintains a storm threat for northwest and west mostly on Friday. The second progged storm for January 6th has really lost its bite by the time it hits Ireland on this run at least. Looks like a more northerly flow after that with a mix of wintry showers presumably

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

lilymc wrote: »
    Crazy weather here in killarney, heavy rain, thunder and gale force winds. No warning of this, it is nearly as bad as stephen's night! A girl down the road is getting married today dont think she could ever have thought the westher would be like this. Where is the cold wintery weather?

rain looks to be clearing on the radar, with a bit of luck she'll be grand :)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

http://www.sat24.com/en/fr?ir=true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

lilymc wrote: »
    A girl down the road is getting married today dont think she could ever have thought the weather would be like this.

Ya December 31st, sun should have been splitting the stones :pac:

Friday latest from GFS....looks rough to me, right across the central belt. Very bad on the west coast again...if that's how it pans out of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z NAE at 48 hours :

14010212_2_3112.gif

12Z HIRLAM at 54 hours :

tuul54.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Would someone please run one of those projections for Friday morning 06:00z, trying to fly across that direction but with the forecasts we have already ruled out Shannon and started planning for Luton, but judging by the earth.nullschool projection, we might be better off stopping in Paris.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement